Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Washing boot liners revisted

Poster: A snowHead
Yup. I know we've done washing boot liners before. I've taken on board it is not a good idea to wash them in a washing machine. I've tried tea tree oil stuff. Seems effective at first - but by the end of a week the liners smelt of cats pee again.

Very briefly, I didn't use to have the problem, then one year I forgot to take out the liners out to dry them after the last week in the season ........

Anyway, talking to the SCGB rep on the St Anton trip, I discovered that he washes his liners at the end of the season. He uses a hand-wash solution, then rinses thoroughly, then dries the liners upside down. He then applies a silicon spray inside the boot, so that the liner will slide in easily. He reckoned that he picked up the method from Rossignol.

Any thoughts on that?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
mmmm depends on the liner, but i certainly wouldn't do it...and i can't see rossignol suggesting it either..... sounds like the SCGB rep made up the story, prehaps it makes him feel important... or is he on a comission when you trash your liners Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
CEM, he was a very straight-talking guy - I'd say dead honest - and a darned good skier. It obviously worked for him - but for my boots I'll take your hint!

I've got a feeling my x-waves are reaching their use-by date, anyway, so I am thinking of replacing them. What's the best time to be thinking of doing that - about October for next season's range?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
achilles, next October for the previous season's bargains!.

I jave bought some cheap air blowing dryers. That, combined with a spray designed to eliminate pet odours has worked wonders for the smell.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Saw someone put about six pairs of liners into a washing machine at the launderette in Bourg St Maurice last week. I did wonder whether it was a sensible idea or not.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I put mine in the washing machine on a cold wash. Smell went completly and the liners seem fine.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
achilles, october is about right, X wave is no more, so if you really like the fit then get on the hunt for a pair in the sales in the size you have....... alternatively if the shells are Ok it may be worth calling around and trying to get a new set of liners...Lockwoods may be a good bet we used to have loads of x wave liners kicking around when i was there

not sure what you call the stuff [ ie brand] but an enzime odour remover will kill all the stench
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Clean socks every day might help and dry the liners every night...take the insoles out if ness'.
Unless you have really smelly feet, in which case, I have thought you'd be doing this anyway.. Laughing
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Get new liners/boots. As soon as you have finished skiing and are back in room, stick electric dryers in boots. No missing a day though! And no smells or rotting liners.

Clean socks every day? Of course! How long does it take to wash out a pair of socks? rolling eyes
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
maggi,

Well, if some dont do clean pants, I can't see clean socks getting a look in.... Laughing
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
was about to bin mine and had nothing to loose. put them in washer and worked out ok..... although too hot and had to do some foam readjustment as some glue broke down.

smell was gone and boots have lasted another 4 weeks skiing so far.

would do it again on cold wash and probably put a sock over the liner first to keep it in place. And also skip the spin cycle.... im sure thats what displace a bit of foam.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Does anyone know if putting boots on dryers affect the head moulded forming from fitting in the shop. Is it the same temperature.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Some of those powerful mass boot dryers you get in hotel boot rooms seem very hot, but the portable ones (eg thermic) are totally harmless. The air they blow is only luke warm.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Bicarbonate of soda in solution. Classic odour remover.

I haven't washed mine but I think I might. It'd be a handwash at low temp though.

(Then if I b*gger them up, I get to buy some new liners I really want - heads I win, tails I win. Very Happy)
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
These could be a cute way of solving the odour & damp problem.
latest report
Buy Head Raptors, they wash themselves.
snow report
I don't know about washing the liners, but I tend to avoid taking mine out due to the problems with putting back in. However, I hadn't thought of spraying the inside of the shell - I haven't got a silicone spray, but I wonder if a tin of household furniture spray would do any harm for the odd spray or two each year, I bet it would be as effective from a 'slippery' perspective.
ski holidays
Megamum, I wouldn't have thought it was a good idea to have your liners slipping around inside the shells either. They're not that difficult to put back in. I rarely take mine out anyway, just dry them every night with a thermic blower. It seems to work, despite my sweaty feet.
snow report
You could follow what the professionals do, as in this video here: http://www.skiracing.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=4456&Itemid=60
Warning, you have to wait right to the end to see the boot-cleaning tip.

Any excuse today Twisted Evil
snow report
Sideshow_Bob, good vid Laughing Laughing

well all i can say is they are your boots do what you want with them BUT

I WOULD NOT PUT THEM IN THE WASHING MACHINE
I WOULD NOT EVEN HAND WASH THEM
HIGH POWER RESORT BOOT DRYERS MAY CAUSE DAMAGE IF YOU HAVE CUSTOM FOOTBEDS /LINERS
A SPRAY OF FABREEZE OR CUP OF BICARB WILL DO NO HARM

sorry to shout but it is getting silly now
Quote:

was about to bin mine and had nothing to loose. put them in washer and worked out ok..... although too hot and had to do some foam readjustment as some glue broke down.

seeing as you were going to bin them then fine but look what happened
latest report
Sideshow_Bob, Nothing like a girl that keeps her boots on. wink
ski holidays
My G-fits come out of the boot very well but that is more the nature of the boot so to do it daily isn't a problem at all for me.
I make sure the boot and the liners dry overnight...can't stand wet and cold boots in the morning, and I am careful with the insole so no excessive heat there.

If you just stand boots near a dryer source, I would expect it to do half a job but not dry certain places, which you'll need to dry properly when you get back from holiday.

If you end up with smelly boots for whatever reason and can't put up with that, maybe you'll have to consider replacing your liners sooner rather than later. A degree of care seems to be required but I wouldn't epect results from washing in a machine. You put effort into getting and keeping the right shape and then you go and medium wash them at 30-40 degrees..???????

If they are formed by heat, they'll likely be destroyed by heat...
ski holidays
CEM wrote:
Sideshow_Bob, good vid Laughing Laughing

well all i can say is they are your boots do what you want with them BUT

I WOULD NOT PUT THEM IN THE WASHING MACHINE
I WOULD NOT EVEN HAND WASH THEM
HIGH POWER RESORT BOOT DRYERS MAY CAUSE DAMAGE IF YOU HAVE CUSTOM FOOTBEDS /LINERS

Quote:

seeing as you were going to bin them then fine but look what happened

Hence doing mine on a cold wash, ie cold water only. Glue didn't break down and the foam didn't need reshaping.
snow conditions
lower, still brave, a lot depends on the brand and the glue they used [which normally ain't that good ]Toofy Grin
snow conditions
CEM wrote:

Ow.

Our offices are next the airport but that was loud.

Ow.
snow report
CEM, Hand washed mine in warmish (to the hand) water. no probs so far. Will try the bicarb approach though, a mix of fairy liquid and bleach hasn't quite removed the whiff of chateau pis du chat Shocked

Er thinking about it, should I take them off first? Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
Who needs bleach?

Air and the oxygen in it are pretty good oxidisers.
ski holidays
Mind you I've got a boot dryer now and must admit that I didn't take them out after holiday this year as I did last year. I hope its earning its keep by keeping my liners OK.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Megamum wrote:
I don't know about washing the liners, but I tend to avoid taking mine out due to the problems with putting back in.

On your last day of EOSB, get someone to show you how to quickly remove and put liners back in, then be prepared to be shocked at how much damp/condensation is underneath the liner and/or footbed.....

cheers,

greg
snow report
CEM wrote:

IT ALSO DID NOTHING FOR THE SMELL!!!!!!!!

sorry to shout but the boots did pong seriously and all the fabreeze and bicarb and anything else lasted approx 1 day. Shocked

I was also worried about what all the fabreeze residue was doing to my feet by being soaked in through them.... can't be toxic cause I didnt die. Anyhow washing worked for me
latest report
daehwons wrote:

I was also worried about what all the fabreeze residue was doing to my feet by being soaked in through them.... can't be toxic cause I didnt die.

Febreeze residue, bwahahahahaha.

Hint: it's a special form of sugar. Cyclodextrin Wiki

Not remotely surprised bicarb did nothing for the smell, unless your funk is significantly acidic.
Bicarb generally does nothing for smells except the acidic ones.
latest report
maggi wrote:
........Clean socks every day? Of course! How long does it take to wash out a pair of socks? rolling eyes

Exactly - and I do. I repeat the problem only arose when I had forgotten to air out the boots at the end of a season.
ski holidays
achilles, makes you wonder how long it's going to take some late-on-scene genius to put Xstatic or some other silver flash antimicrobial coating into/onto liners. If they can do it for shower curtains...

Hello, any hills have eyes out there? That was a big broad *hint*.
snow report
achilles, you admitted you forgot to air the boots out.

Now, if you had forgotten to let the dog/cat out, you would have expected a mess. And a smell. And just how long were the boots left? Shocked

Basically, you have a brain and the dog/cat/boots haven't. If you can't remember to do something important that you should be doing, expect sh....t, erm, mess. And expect it to cost you to clean it up. New liners are relatively cheap.

Good God, man! Get a grip! Are you not/have you never been married? rolling eyes Laughing
snow report
stop press, i have thought about the above comments carefully and......

you can wash your liners if you like,

i will be happy to sell you a new pair when you trash them Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow conditions
I can recommend a constant flow of melted snow leaking in to the boots as you're skiing, it's like standing in a plunge pool, so refreshing.
snow report
maggi, thats telling 'im..!! Laughing

good god..if you and Red Nose could have gotten this vocal, we could have headed lots of trouble of at the pass..... or it would have been a really really exciting show, at least..!!! LaughingLaughingLaughing
snow conditions
Hand wash, no problems.
ski holidays
CEM wrote:
stop press, i have thought about the above comments carefully and......

you can wash your liners if you like,

i will be happy to sell you a new pair when you trash them Toofy Grin Toofy Grin

Very Happy
snow report
CEM wrote:
lower, still brave, a lot depends on the brand and the glue they used [which normally ain't that good ]Toofy Grin

What are you concerned will break down the glue? The water or the washing powder?

I can't believe that the water can be a problem. The must be designed to get wet from sweat and melted snow!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy