Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

A good nights sleep at altitude...

Poster: A snowHead
boredsurfin wrote:
Spyderman, Wot? No land rover Toofy Grin

That's Automotive Sex Very Happy
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Spyderman, Laughing wink
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
boredsurfin, and it now comes with a Curry. wink
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
and spuds Laughing
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
boredsurfin, Bombay Aloo Laughing
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I've started using a camelpak and therefore drinking a great deal more water during the day and noticed on both trips this year that I slept much better and did not get the incredibly dry mouth I usually do duirng the night. However, I was not staying in new wood built/lined chalets as I normally do so it maybe that this could impact as well? Needless to say sleep deteriorated steadily during the week as my body protested at the abuse I put it through each day by waking me up every couple of hours with various aches and pains.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
My sleep also gets progressively worse. I also use a 3l reservoir plus whatever water is consumed at dinner (about another .5l+). Mind you, I also don't mind a few bevvies so maybe that's it.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I find that I sleep better if I use a nasal spray (Vicks Sinex) for the week Puzzled

I think that my nose tends to block up at night in the high altitude and effectively it's me snoring that disturbs my sleep - the Sinex allows me to breathe through my nose, so I don't snore (well perhaps that should correctly read "don't snore as much/loudly") and thus sleep better.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
and if you don't sleep, have an escape route and a good book to read. In one apartment where people were sleeping on the mezzanine so putting a light on to read was not possible, my OH sat in the toilet with his chess computer. My nephew was very surprised to find him there when he went for a leak in the middle of the night.

Another point is to pack a decent pillow. Most chalets and self catering places only have very nasty foam chip ones.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
pam w wrote:
Another point is to pack a decent pillow. Most chalets and self catering places only have very nasty foam chip ones.

Not flown with Ryanair I suspect pam w wink
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
pam w, I always take my pillow with me (even in the UK). As I spend as much time with my head on the pillow as I do actually on my skis, then I think it's an essential snowHead

Oh.....and I rarely have problems sleeping!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Is 1,300m considered "altitude"? Not wanting to suggest that it's nothing to do with being marginally elevated but I can understand people having trouble above 3,000m but 1,300 doesn't seem to be high enough to cause problems... Puzzled Puzzled I know we're all different and all but...

and from http://www.altitude.org/calculators/altitudefacts/altitudefacts.htm at 1,300m it says your body "doesn't have to do much to compensate".
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
David Murdoch, agreed. I only seem to have a problem if sleeping above 2000m.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
boredsurfin wrote:
I spend a few weeks each year at an altitude of 1300m so you would think I would get use to sleeping at this altitude BUT last week I didn't have one good nights sleep, ( a couple I freely admit I was not surprised at Toofy Grin )
Does anyone have any tip's for a good night's sleep at altitude?

Don't share a twin bedroom with a solo same sex snowhead that you have never met before just to save on the single occupancy supplement.
Especially if he say's "Nite-Nite Sweetie" just before turning off the light !!!

Twisted Evil Laughing

cc_7up
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I'm not being tricky, I had the usual crap nights sleep last night because I knew I had to get a horribly early flight. I also sleep badly if the room is over-heated. Oddly this doesn't happen in warm climates, just with artificial heating. Puzzled

What I mean is that I am quite prepared to accept that some people are very susceptible to changes in pressure.
snow report
Close your eyes.
latest report
boredsurfin wrote:
I spend a few weeks each year at an altitude of 1300m so you would think I would get use to sleeping at this altitude BUT last week I didn't have one good nights sleep, ( a couple I freely admit I was not surprised at Toofy Grin )
Does anyone have any tip's for a good night's sleep at altitude?

Interestingly we went the highest we have in the Alps last week, straight into Belle Plagne @ 2,100m and slept very well however there was a subtle difference on this holiday.

Previously we have been in catered chalets with friends, from the moment we got up to thte moment my head hit the pillow we were with friends. Its only when I tried to go asleep did my brain start working on its own, often leading to a crap nights sleep.

This time we went on our own and we were in a hotel and we ate on our own at night. It gave us a chance to relax and have a quiet meal. We meet and chatted to others in the bar and it was very sociable but we had our own place. I brought my lap top and use to watch a film before going asleep. I bascially chilled out.

I bet those that talk on the thread about sleeping badly at altitude don't get any chance to relax on their skiing holiday, its exciting, its busy, you are on the go a lot and when your head hits the pillow its more awake than your body. Deadly combination. Its got nothing to do with Altitude, I go on conferences and it happens there to.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy