Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

A good nights sleep at altitude...

Poster: A snowHead
I spend a few weeks each year at an altitude of 1300m so you would think I would get use to sleeping at this altitude BUT last week I didn't have one good nights sleep, ( a couple I freely admit I was not surprised at Toofy Grin )
Does anyone have any tip's for a good night's sleep at altitude?

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sat 12-04-08 22:07; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Find a church?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Little alcohol, lots of water, open window. If all else fails, take Syndol.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
boredsurfin, get Mrs boredsurfin to bash you on the head with her lovely skis?
Failing that, take less water with it
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
boredsurfin, as Pam suggests . . . except I still have alcohol Embarassed and I also put soaking wet towels on the radiators too.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
er, lots of alcohol, and a large glass of water by the bed for when you wake up with a raging thirst. (OK I know this is BAD advice, but it works for me Madeye-Smiley )
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Try teaching the 'Cyclops' to Lambada?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Try sleeping downstairs Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
boredsurfin, used to have much the same problem every skiing holiday. Went to my doctor (who is also a skier). Sleeping tablets prescribed for skiing holidays only. Problem solved. Watch it of you go that route - I understand the tablets can be both addictive, and tend to lose the desired effect if taken too often. I use mine strictly on skiing holidays only.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I wasn't aware that sleeping at altitude could be a problem........
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
boredsurfin, you can buy Syndol over the counter. It's a remedy for tension headache, not actually a sleeping tablet, but it contains a magic ingredient called dolxylamine succinate. It's an anti-histamine I think, but can't be bought separately except on those dodgy "meds without prescription" websites. Syndol also includes codeine, paracetamol and caffeine so is quite a potent mix. Dose is 2 tablets, but I find one helps me sleep if necessary. I usually only take it on the long drive down, when stopping at 10pm for a cheap night in a roadside hotel! As I spend weeks and weeks at 1550m I guess I am used to the altitude.

Megamum, yes, quite a lot of people find it's a problem, especially as high as Val Thorens, but others have no bother.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Megamum wrote:
I wasn't aware that sleeping at altitude could be a problem........

It's to do with the oxygen and carbon dioxide in the body which causes breathing problems and a restless sleep - see here

snowHead
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I hope I won't find it a problem. We were breathless the time we went directly from up from the base station in the cable car to the glacier on the corvatch (3,300), but others on here have said that I shouldn't notice the altitude in VT in the hotel too much, and after a couple of days should be fine at the top too. I wonder if its worth taking some Kalms with me.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I find two solutions are quite handy:

Either,
Ski ridiculously hard all day, in poor conditions, lots of bumps, never go near a groomer etc. Don't stop for lunch, ski first lift to last, with lots of top to bottom descents. You will be so knackered you'll fall asleep crossing the road back to the hotel (not good...)

Or,
Lots and lots of alcohol. So much that the depressent effect must hit you like a falling piano. When using this method I also drink tons of water to at least partially counter the dehydration (stonking headache becomes a mere pounding one).
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I have enough trouble sleeping at home Sad
latest report
What's god got to do with it, boredsurfin? Or are you talking about a heavenly altitude?
snow report
RachelQ, Embarassed AND I checked it all after Robs post Laughing
latest report
boredsurfin, now you've gone and spoil it Sad
snow report
Quote:
I wonder if its worth taking some Kalms with me.

Megamum, try Syndol. But don't worry about it. A week of sleeping not very well is not a big deal, really, if you're having fun! You can catch up when you get back.
ski holidays
Plenty of water and open the windows at night.
snow report
I always have a crap nights sleep on the first night, but find that after that I sleep quite well - I've always put this down to being absolutely shattered from a day skiing.

One thing that has always puzzled me though - at altitude I get nosebleeds every single night. Never during the day, always at night. I wake up every morning with a bloody nose. Anyone know why this is?

pam w, Cheers for the Syndol tip - About once every 3 or 4 months I have patches of chronic insomnia, will give that a go!
snow report
boredsurfin, I sleep like a baby ...better in resort than at home...less to worry about I guess ....only have I missed the best snow of the season....that gave me lots of sleepless nights
ski holidays
Heulwen.Haf, I've heard that nosebleeds are common at altitude - the increased pressure causes small blood vessels to burst, as I understand it. Maybe you only get them at night because you dehydrate more then? Or perhaps it's because you remain at one altitude, whereas during the day you are constantly changing altitude? Failing that, have yourself videoed. Do you have belligerent dreams about being a contender?
ski holidays
I get nosebleeds at altitude too Laughing
snow report
My fave is Nightnurse type stuff - the US version with 10% alcohol is best. If you're at high altitude 9-10,000 ft then be wary of the alcohol/water/diuretic effect - you spend more time getting up in the night for that than any other factors.
snow report
I've been sleeping progressively better in Val Thorens, a big help was realising that I'd sunburnt my lips rather than needing to drink more water!
ski holidays
RachelQ, impressive blood loss Shocked
snow report
fatbob, Only 10%? Top it up with a genepi or two at bedtime Twisted Evil Laughing
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
boredsurfin, Go higher!
latest report
I found sleeping tricky in Breckenridge, which is about 10 000' IIRC. Wet towels help, oxygen helps more, I believe, but we resisted the temptation.
latest report
vetskiI heard it was the blood vessels in the nasal passage drying out, becoming brittle then splitting, I guess if you then lie down blood rush's to your head and hey presto. I'm expecting someone properly medically qualified to shoot me down in flames now as I think I read this in The Sun... Embarassed

On topic, I also struggle for 24/48 hours at 1400m and upwards with light sleeping/wild and weird dreams but it never lasts longer than 2 days for me. My children go a little cranky too for a couple of days.
snow report
Frosty, sounds like lots of sex would be the cure for men then. But what about women?
ski holidays
vetski, I suppose we could include them in the sex too...
snow conditions
FenlandSkier, Laughing
latest report
FenlandSkier, thank you for helping me to understand why lesbianism is a valid lifestyle choice. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
vetski, Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
SO... to summarise, no alcohol, fresh air and lots of water, Confused
Hopefully I'll sleep better on the summer trips Very Happy
snow report
FenlandSkier wrote:
vetski, I suppose we could include them in the sex too...

That line's kept me laughing all day Laughing
ski holidays
Ski hard, Mutzig & Sex.
snow conditions
Spyderman, Wot? No land rover Toofy Grin
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy