Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Reaching the next level . . . skiers block!

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
So much good advice and lot to digest. Thanks to everyone.

My only real hope is to do as Mosha Marc suggests and unsubscribe immediately! I already feeling myelf being assimilated into Snowheads at the expense of other boards I frequent! Shocked Smile
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
b]So Soleil DOr Crew[/b],

I've never hit a plateau... but then I simply chose not to.... I was not supposed to ski - too dangerous for me according to the resort doctor! I did anyway!

Then when I was told I should inline skate to help my balance, I spent much time and angst in summer learning to stand upright on the damn things and even to skate, roll downhill, and stop and turn Embarassed . The summer that saw one of my breakthroughs was the one I skated most - I improved with my time off snow instead of regressing.
When my instructor wanted me to learn to ride a bike(again a feat for me) I did! When another instructor friend created balance courses for me I went to the hardware shop, bought the bits, built the course and did it almost every day!
My home resort starts as a pretend ice rink most mornings... hard crunchy lumpy stuff - I was told the only way to handle it better was to ski it more - so I just jumped on it at 830am every morning until it scared the crap out of me less!

The bottom line is there are many things to help improvement... you just need to want to find them and do them enough...

Some require just having the guts to NOT go ski the hardest stuff around all day - but instead tough it out doing the stuff you need on easier slopes... I seem to recall a story about a certain WC skier who would train by doing exercises on easy terrain for hours and then run a proper race course 2-3 times before going home... Some require being tough enough to ski the type of turns you dislike rather than always the same turn.... Some require you to ski terrain or conditions that you dislike - and then looking at your flaws and working on them (they will usually be there in normal skiing too just less pronounced)

If you want it enough find yourself a suitable "coach" and DO IT
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
So Soleil DOr Crew, for the 'mental' part of skiing, this is an interesting book:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Inner-Skiing-Gallwey/dp/0679778276/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1208528110&sr=8-1&tag=amz07b-21

IMHO, once you are a competent skier, nearly all of it is about the mental side of it. One friend always says how mystified he is by beginners who are worried about not being able to stop - 'why would you want to?'. But equally, you can change your wish list for the holiday - instead of being frustrated you didn't go down all the hardest slopes, choose to relax and enjoy what you do. My latest holiday, I just wanted to have a good time (not have coloured in every piste on my spare map to show I'd 'done it all' as I usually do) ~ and it was great to just enjoy pottering about whichever piste came up, rather than missing the last lift for 3 days out of 6 trying to just fit another couple in (as has been known - the lifties in Les Menuires are b"ggers)

Another key thing for me is doing exercise so that you are specifically fit to ski before you go ~ I've just come back from a week where one girl complained about having 'cramp' at the bottom of every slope. The first time she said it, I expected to see her in rolling round in agony - but it became apparent that she really meant her thighs were burning.

I do a 'SKI FIT' video for a few weeks before I go - admittedly, it is like a doggy training class, but it definitely makes a difference because of the use of specific muscle groups, etc
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
SkiBod, I'd agree with the exercise thing. If you're physically prepared, you're more mentally prepared. You tire less quickly, your recover more quickly. You relax more as you're not fighting the pain from using muscles that are not used to that movement. You feel better.

It doesn't necessarily have to be a major commitment either. My first trip in Jan was ill-prepared and I skied well within my ability with some awkwardness. When I got back I took up "hard" walking with weights for 20 minutes every morning before work. Result? Trip 3 months later was terrific with no problems and a really good mental approach.

To answer the OPs question, I got off the plateau by taking a dedicated week's intensive ski instruction (BASI) and I always have at least 1 x 2 hour lesson at the beginning of the week to iron out any bad habits. Also still practice some of the drills taught by the instructor.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy