Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

£610 wasted?

Poster: A snowHead
Matt Exley, go with your family, get the school to give you back your money, and spend it on remedial punctuation & grammar lessons. You can't always have everything you want! Huge credit to your parents for making sure you paid for the school trip - you might not appreciate the financial discipline involved, but it will stand you in good stead one day. If you're that bothered about the match, why don't you take a radio?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
vetski, you expect him to get his money back if he cancels at this late stage? You are having a giraffe there. Laughing
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Lizzard, unlikely I know. Perhaps he should apply to Barnsley for a refund, as it's his devotion to the team (thoughts kept firmly to self...) that could cause him to lose his dosh. Twisted Evil
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
What a lovely choice to have, skiing, skiing or football, esp with A Levels looming Evil or Very Mad
Oh I'm getting really horrible now
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I strongly suspect the school would be more than a tad miffed if he cancels at this point. He is very unlikely to get a refund and will quite possibly be 'banned' from future trips as he has no doubt cost someone else a place on this one. Not that (I suspect) this will bother him overmuch. rolling eyes Evil or Very Mad
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Matt Exley must be thrilled he asked the question!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hurtle, All part of the growing and learning experience Twisted Evil Laughing
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Matt Exley, there is no need to apologise for being a Barnsley fan on a public forum. You'll probably find the other Barnsley fan is also a snowhead ! Laughing
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
blooby barnsley !! if they hadnt knocked us out of the cup with ex southend player JCR netting the goal we would be in the semis now (ok small matter of beating the scouse thieves and the russian scum aside)
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks for the responses guys and girls, just wanted you to understand that the football has no real relevance in terms of my decision. I'd pick skiing over most things, especially a game of football on the TV! I'm going to go with the school because I need to ski somewhere else other than La Clusaz and it's going to be a good laugh. As far as I know I might come home saying La Clusaz is not the resort we thought it was, i'l post a thread when I return comparing the two. Anyone else been to both La Clusaz and Aprica?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

Huge credit to your parents for making sure you paid for the school trip - you might not appreciate the financial discipline involved, but it will stand you in good stead one day.

vetski, maybe before you make assumptions you should ask why I paid for the trip myself. My family have paid for all my previous skiing trips and I felt it necessary to show them how much I appreciate it. I have a part time job that does not pay huge amounts and I really struugled to afford this trip. My parents did not want me to pay any of the £610 pounds, they just wanted me to contribute to the spending money that I would need whilst I was there. Before you say it, i've supplied the spending money myself aswell. Maybe you should find some money and spend it on financial advice lessons Evil or Very Mad
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Matt Exley, in that case credit to you, and you clearly already have financial discipline, which should help through your student years (if you go for tertiary education) or entry-level years in your future career.
PS - spent years in the finance industry, but before that came out of uni with huge debt - took years to pay off, wouldn't wish it on anyone.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Matt Exley to be fair to vetski, your post was seeking opinions about whether or not you would 'waste' £610. Most of the people who have replied have thought that you would in fact be wasting it! As you say, you struggled to afford this trip so that should make (IMO) the decision easier.
I am pleased that you have made up your mind and hope that you have great fun, sure you will.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
vetski, Thanks. I'm looking to going into teaching P.E and have the decision to make between going to a local university which will save me approximately £10,000 or going to live away from home. Do you think it's worth sacrificing the university life and the degree from a well known university to save the money?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Matt Exley, Good for you, I reckon you've made the right decision there, as you say, it'll do you good to see what another resort is like, you'll more than likely have a great time with your friends. Everyone will be going their separate ways soon enough anyway what with university and careers looming, it might be the last time you'll have the opportunity to ski with them for a fair while. And...of course!.....it would be a shame to chuck away the money especially as with the part time job thing to save it up in the first place.

Hope you have a great time next week.

Regards

snowHead
latest report
Matt Exley wrote:
vetski, Thanks. I'm looking to going into teaching P.E and have the decision to make between going to a local university which will save me approximately £10,000 or going to live away from home. Do you think it's worth sacrificing the university life and the degree from a well known university to save the money?

I'm not sure how much which university you went to would matter in something like PE, but in terms of living away from home, that's one of the high points of university IMO.
ski holidays
Matt Exley, the life experience you get from living away from home is as much part of a degree course as the subject you study.
ski holidays
Helen Beaumont, on the other hand, the life experience you miss out on because you're paying back the extra £10,000 is quite significant as well.
ski holidays
Lizzard, true.......... . maybe I would prefer mine at home with less debt now, than in 5 years time.
latest report
Lizzard, thanks, I hadn't looked at it that way.
snow report
Matt Exley, I'd go for the living away from home option - learning to manage your time and domestic environment and, with prospective debt that high, money, is a crucial part of the whole maturation process, so remove yourself from the temptation of taking laundry home every day! I'd also go to the best uni you can. I know nil about PE, but taking e.g. history as an example, employers do view differently the quality of a person with a 2/1 from King's College London and one from...well, no names, heated topic and all that, but quality (real & perceived) of uni does matter. Most students these days find they have to work during the term, which can limit course options...try to avoid that by working evenings rather than daytimes. Student loans will also be available, and you don't have to start paying those back till you're earning something over 15K, so go for those. Whatever you do, avoid going overdrawn at the bank! You may already have done this, but if not, have look at the websites of the unis you're considering - most places these days have very good student financial advice.

And I don't know if you've been following the NUT thread...but you want to think very carefully before letting them represent you!
snow report
Matt Exley, paying back debt is the most dull and depressing thing - working your tits off and watching all your lolly disappear into a black hole while you spend your leisure time walking the dog and watching TV because you can't afford to do anything interesting. It's even worse than having to spend your hard-earned cash on a bloody washing machine. Twisted Evil

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Thu 27-03-08 20:57; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Matt Exley, if you do need to overdraw at the bank, even temporarily, open a Halifax student account, if your student loan is delayed you may be grateful for it's generous overdraft.
latest report
Kramer, Helen Beaumont, I agree that going to a more prestigious university (as Matt Exley implies it would be) irrespective of what he decides to read, not to mention living away from home, would be far preferable. But that's easy for me to say, having had the entire cost of my secondary and tertiary education met by the state. It's difficult for me to imagine what it would be like to leave university with £10,000 of debt, but I suspect I wouldn't do it, in other words - probably even if my parents tried to dissuade me - I'd take the cheaper option. Sad, as Lizzard's bitter words testify. Is this supposed to be progress? My generation had simply no idea how lucky it was. Sad
snow report
Matt Exley, Norway has good skiing - the best conditions can be found 'under the bridge' according to the SCGB Laughing
snow conditions
Hurtle, I had the benefit of a student grant and free education too. It's my sons who don't and I can't afford to fully support them both, as they will both be at university together for the next three years. Eldest has a year abroad in either France or Germany, and is hoping to work as a school assistant rather than just study and run up more debt. However, he is a wee bit on the lazy side.....................
snow report
ski holidays
plectrum,
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Matt Exley,

Among your local universities are Leeds and Sheffield. Both are excellent.

Leeds runs a very good Sports and Exercise Science degree programme and might be just the thing you're looking for.

Edit: Sorry, assumed you were LOCAL to Barnsley.

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Mon 14-04-08 17:34; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
laundryman wrote:

160cm ... 170cm ... 230cm ...1,230cm: there's no practical difference.

That's not true at all - A scary cliff huck here that was approx 6m at the start of the season is now just over 1m Wink Plus, all the runs here are alder/rock/stump free... but yeah, in seriousness 30cm is an irrelevance.
latest report
Acacia wrote:
Matt Exley,

Among your local universities are Leeds and Sheffield. Both are excellent.

Leeds runs a very good Sports and Exercise Science degree programme and might be just the thing you're looking for.

When did Leeds and Sheffield become "local" to Milton Keynes?
ski holidays
alex_heney, I wondered too, but put it down to not knowing anything north of the M25. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
I'm an "education snob" probably. I had the "misfortune" of going to a "second tier" university (because my family didn't want me to live away from home and I didn't know any better at 16). And I felt under-challenged in that school.

I also had a high school mate who didn't go to university even though she's a good enough student to gain entrance. Her family wishs her to bring some income to help out the family. That really put her in a bad situation for a long time (we lost contact after some years). Had she gone to uni, she surely would had to borrow some money and therefore had a debt to pay back, whatever the amount. But not going is clearly the poorer choice.

The difference between different school is obviously not as big as not going at all. So it really depends on WHAT the difference really is. It may be worth the debt to get a good start for the next 5 decades.
snow report
Matt Exley wrote:

Don't listen to all the losers banging on about uni debt.

Higher education is not a debt.

It is an investment.

An investment in your skills, your brain, your offspring's brains, your health and your bank-balance.

1. Pick the best uni you can find. Do everything in your power to get to a tier-1 university.

2. Try and get to a uni in London or the Home Counties. Northern culture and poverty will drag you down.

Above all, eliminate the 'debt mindset'. It is wrong, naive and myopic.

Good luck.
snow conditions
Whitegold wrote:

Above all, eliminate the 'debt mindset'. It is wrong, naive and myopic.

Good luck.

Actually one of society's current major malaises is an apathy towards debt. Most university students have some form a debt not directly associated to the relaxed termed student loan and because of this find the subsequent 10 years of their life post university relatively stressful. Students who have had to fund a majority of the 'life' themselves are now so in debt that it has a depressing effect on their life even if within 3 years of university they are earning more than £30k.

Consider what the university life will cost you and how that debt can be mitigated whilst you are at university by having a subsidising part time job. Also figure out roughly what your average salary will be in the 5 years subsequent to university graduation. This will allow you to plan even if just roughly how you will pay back your debt and if it will be feasible. Do not fall into the trap that it will sort it self out, this is utter BS and what happens is you find out that the debt doesn't care about you and will quickly eat up a lot of your resources.

I think Whitegold's advice is irresponsible and although some of what he says is correct concerning the benefits of a top tier university and the enjoyment and life skills associated with a university life just be-careful.

Enjoy your ski-trip and don't worry about Barnsley, there are always places to watch UK football in resorts.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Sat 29-03-08 22:20; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
edit ... double post
ski holidays
I love teaching sport which is why I want to be a P.E teacher, but what also attracts me to this job is the opportunities that it creates for me to ski snowHead I would be able to travel whilst teaching which would allow me to ski more frequently and I would also have school holiday time to go away on skiing trips. I don't want my debt to restrict me in this which is why I am so attracted to going to a local university and living at home to save the money.
latest report
Matt Exley, Debt can be managed good luck in your choice. Possibly a compromise would be to go to Uni near to your home but then take a gap year possibly including a a ski season. You could do this in the year after uni and either save through out uni or take a final year student loan to pay for the gap year/ski season.

This way you get some life building experiences and a lot of fun without the debt incurred by 3 years far away from home at a distant uni.
ski holidays
Matt Exley, Matt, no contest mate - there will be many more ski trips, but you might never see t'tarn at Wemberlee again! Laughing
As for the various comments to the contrary in this thread, they are either jealous or don't know what they're talking about (The latter happens a lot round here Wink)

On a more serious note, have you phoned a few bars in Aprica to check ? It's a FA cup semi on Sky Sports, I recon it'll be on somewhere, or take yer laptop and find a connection, it'll be streamed somewhere on the web I'm sure (Can point you at some possible URLs if required)
'you Reds! Very Happy
ski holidays
Ah, I hadn't seen the second page rolling eyes but in any case I see it drifted off topic as usual about finance and university when we're supposed to finding Matt somewhere to watch the match!! Wink
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy