Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

£610 wasted?

Poster: A snowHead
I'm in my final year of 6th form and going to Aprica a week on saturday with my school. I have been on six skiing holidays in the past 3 years with my family all to La Clusaz. My family were unsure if they would be going again in these easter holidays so I thought I should go on the school ski trip so that I don't miss out. It cost £610 for six days skiing with four hours of lessons each day. There seems to be 170cm of snow in Aprica, and until one week ago there was only 160cm in La Clusaz. Now my family have booked La Clusaz and there is 230cm of snow! I seriosly considered dipping out of the school trip and going with my family for no extra cost! As if that isn't bad enough, I am a Barnsley supporter and cannot find anywhere in Aprica that will show the semi-final against Cardiff! Whilst my dad has already found a Bar in La Clusaz that has scheduled the match just for him! Can anyone re-assure me?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You're going skiing. I can't see what the problem is? Wink
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Matt Exley, 170cm of snow is still plenty to ski on. If you were my son and I had paid £610 for your ski trip, I would be seriously cheesed off if you decided not to go. Tough about the Barnsley game though.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Helen Beaumont, I'm cheesed off becauase I payed all £610 myself!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Matt Exley, Matt, you can always stay at home and watch it from the comfort of your armchair? rolling eyes
I think (speaking with parent hat on, sorry) that you might just make people cross if you waste that trip. School trips aren't cheap and for goodness sake you will have a blast with your mates. There is PLENTY OF SNOW FOR EVERYBODY at the mo, get out there and enjoy Laughing Laughing
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Matt Exley wrote:

so the "at no extra cost" is to you, what about the cost to your parents?

If they are happy to pay for you, then it's entirely your call on whether you would want to lose the £610 - what price being a Barnsley supporter, eh?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
holidayloverxx, I'm loving being a barnsley supporter after knocking Chelsea and Liverpool out of the FA Cup! Very Happy
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
For me not having to watch the Barnsley game would swing it (for Aprica).
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Matt Exley wrote:
then it's your decision then.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
If i had to be a Barnsley fan and have to choose wether to go skiing in La Clusaz or Aprica, i think i might seriously consider topping myself... Laughing
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Probably go for the family option mate - it's only money.

Up the Barnsley (Liverpool fan)
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
decisions, decisions ....... the game is probably on the web somewhere, but why spoil your holiday to watch Barnsley Puzzled
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
It's often difficult to make a decision between much loved ski resorts and family / friends, but they must understand that this really does all pale into insignificance when there's a Barnlsey game on the telly.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Matt Exley, You will not notice any difference between 170cm of snow and 230cm of snow, unless you are skiing off-piste, which doesn't sound likely with 4 hours of lessons per day.

So it is down to the choice between family/schoolmates, and to how important it is to see your team lose. (Alough being a Jack I certainly won't be cheering Cardiff on).

You could argue that the fact you have the choice meams the money is already wasted, but is it really "at no cost" to go with family - will you still be getting the same lessons/food?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
rob@rar wrote:
You're going skiing. I can't see what the problem is? Wink

Good ahout, I wont be going again (like most people) until next year. rolling eyes
ski holidays
Is selling that s£610 pot at a deep discount an option?
latest report
You've got to weigh up

skiing with family vs skiing with friends - which one would you prefer.

The other thing to take into consideration

La Clusaz vs Aprica

I've personally never heard of Aprica, I imagine it would be rather small. I know La Clusaz is a reasonable sized resort with Le Grand Bornand.

But they're the decisions you need to make. I imagine you'll want to go with friends, but to La Clusaz over Aprica.

So its whether skiing with your friends in a small resort is better than skiing with your family in a larger resort.

I dont think the amount of snow across the alps is a problem at the moment.
snow report
anyway, given that both resorts seem to have a decent base, it's not total depth of snow you should be looking at but depth of new snow
latest report
Is is just me or does this smack of 'wanting to have your cake & eat it'?! rolling eyes

Christopher, or throwing away £600?
snow report
Matt Exley, In my opinion, don't waste the £610!

How long has it taken you to save up that £610? I take it that you must have a part time job since you are at sixth form and therefore not be able to work full time and on that basis it would have taken a fair bit of time and effort to accumulate. I would suggest you go with your mates since you've booked it already and just put it down to experience and try somewhere new since you've been to La Clusaz a fair bit already. You will probably be enjoying yourself so much that you won't care so much about seeing the game anyway. The snow will be more than plenty for anyone as alex_heney suggests.

Also-is it really worth losing £610 just to watch the Barnsley game? I would suggest possibly not-and what happens if say the bar your Dad has sorted has problems with their telly or some other cock up occurs! Then you will be gutted and have wasted the money for nothing.

Could you watch the game over the internet? Have you got Sky Plus?? Very Happy
snow report
Matt Exley, Aprica... went there to ski in 1977. Drove through there a few summers ago. Didn't look like it had changed much! There's no real centre to the place, loads of scruffy buildings just strung out along a busy road. Can't remember much about the ski area as I was a mere novice (not the God of Snow I am these days wink ). If I was facing the choice and at no net financial loss, I'd go La C any day... unless your school mates are all babes of course.

Don't you think Barnsley have used up all their luck by now?
snow report
Matt,

£610 is a lot to fork out when the alternative isn't a ticket to see the match but only to watch it on TV. I know that your £610 is already committed but your Dad's to bring you to to La C isn't. It's a semi-final anyway. If Barnsley win, you have a final to look forward to. If they lose, you'll be glad that you're not watching.

Look for Bar with Sky in Aprica. Fall back, get someone to record it.
snow conditions
and who pays for the ski pass for La Clusaz?

and all those beers?
latest report
Matt Exley, I'd be seriously suprised if there isn't a bar anywhere in Aprica that's not showing the FA cup semi final live. Most bar owners have their heads screwed on well enough to cater for the Brits.
snow report
Can't say i know of any bars in Aprica that have sky uk, not many Brits go there so it doesn't realy cater. That being said it will probably be on one of the sky Italia sports channels, but don't hold me to that. Just ask at the bar or hotel for sky 'calcio'.

I know when i was 16, hell would freeze over before i hung out with the parents for a week Laughing . Bit of a no brainer that one wink .
latest report
Kramer, is Aprica someone geared up for British tourists?

I don't know as I've never visited or even heard of it. As I've discovered it is a small Italian town. What channels will it have that will show english football? I doubt it would have.

Anyway football is irrelevent on skiing holidays. Its nice to get away from that sort of crap that subjected to continually at home. Im sure as I would for rugby and cricket, record it at home and watch it when you come home.
snow report
It's gonna snow in Apraca although may be windy.

http://www.j2ski.com/snow_forecast/Italy/Aprica_snow.html

Usually optimistic re snow but never the less..

As for Barnsley I have no comment.
snow report
Quote:

Matt Exley, I'd be seriously suprised if there isn't a bar anywhere in Aprica that's not showing the FA cup semi final live. Most bar owners have their heads screwed on well enough to cater for the Brits.

It depends a little on the resort, I was with a group trying to watch the Liverpool v Milan match on the tele in Davos recently and every bar with a tele (which was not a lot) had the Davos v Zug ice hockey on.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Go with the school. You can ski with the family any time.
ski holidays
Matt Exley,
Quote:
Don't you think Barnsley have used up all their luck by now?

As a Cardiff fan I suggest you go skiing and save yourself the pain of seeing your team get stuffed Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
latest report
School trip.

Never again in your life will you have such fun.

Beating up geeks, getting razzed and chasing dollies.

Enjoy it while you can.
snow conditions
Matt Exley, forget the parents, any trip away with your mates is gonna be something you talk about for years!!

As for football, you've beat two premiership sides, if you get through the semi, just promise yourself you'll do everything you can to get into the final for missing it.
snow report
kristofis right. You won't get the opportunity to go with your mates again.
ski holidays
mates & dollies every time... Unless you were like me and only had 3 mates at school.

the potential for shenanigans on a school trip is about a factore of 5000% more than with family

as to watching the match - have you come across a "sling-box" http://www.slingmedia.com/ - which allows you to watch your home tv via the internet. Buy/beg/steal on off a mate plug it in, take the laptop, find a broadband connection in resort (can't be that hard) and away you go..
snow report
Matt Exley, you would seriously sack off £600 for the sake of watching a football match on the telly? Have a word with yourself.
snow conditions
Matt Exley, sitting on your ass watching a fussball game as part of the decision making process . . . Jeez rolling eyes I thought I was a self-absorbed-old-fart. Get over yourself, you're old enough to realise that football is 'ENTERTAINMENT' , if you can't differentiate between that self development then I'd rather you be the sofaspud you clearly desire to be and leave the snow to those that value its fleeting joy. You really don't deserve the choices you profess to have Evil or Very Mad
snow report
Matt Exley, The result of the match will be the same whether you watch it or not. So it is irrelevant. rolling eyes
snow report
My school trips were a blast !! The best laugh ever ! Going down the pub with teachers, getting drunk & smoking behind their backs, some kids sneaking out windows to go out (not me though! until one dozy bird fell and broke her arm) Gossiping about which teacher is doing which teacher.... and who can forget the skiing, laughing at your mates fall over wink

I know what I what I would choose every time
latest report
Matt Exley wrote:
There seems to be 170cm of snow in Aprica, and until one week ago there was only 160cm in La Clusaz. Now my family have booked La Clusaz and there is 230cm of snow!

160cm ... 170cm ... 230cm ...1,230cm: there's no practical difference.
latest report
The Italians have even more footy on than we do. Sky Italia has about 6 pemiership and most of Serie A live each weekend, jeez they are even desperate enough to have the SPL on. Most bars have Sky Italia and will have it on if it doesnt clash with a big Italian game.Although as its a school trip you wont be going in them rolling eyes.

As they all say school ski trips are the best(unless you are a teacher/hotelier / or anyone else responsible ).
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy