Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

SCOTLAND May Day weekend YEEEHAAA!

Poster: A snowHead
Mrs NBT is feeling better - well enough that if I get my finger out and get painting tomorrow and finish the job, we might be able to get away. Current thinking is to drive up on Thursday to arrive for dinner, ski fri - sat - sun- mon the drive home monday evening after skiing for work on tuesday.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Get painting nbt, you know it's worth it for a few cheeky days on the snow!

A few of us are staying in the Loch View B&B in Fort William, and I think kiwi and his Mrs are staying in Burnbank Lodges.

D
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
the Goose is an fis approved piste, a few years back they were going to run the eurpa cup finals there howver lack of snow forced cancellation,however i was there for the children`s races over the weekend and conditions are excellent at present and with the cold forcast it should be a fantastic weekend.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

Out of interest I presume it's being held on the Goose? I always thought they had to run the test on an FIS approved GS course - so is The Goose FIS approved?

I don't know to be honest, just saw it on the Nevis website that they had moved venue.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
nbt, Yes! Finish the painting!! How excellent that more snowHead are coming out of the woodwork to join us potentially! Can't wait to get into the powder. Hopefully. snowHead snowHead

The Lochview might have room for you and Mrs nbt a double room with ensuite is £45 a night I think, the couple that run it seem really nice and more importantly, the breakfast menu looks very nice indeed!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Hi - considering coming up to Scotland this weekend to try out the skiing as not tried it there before. Is anyone going from the Manchester area at all to share a lift? I may only go for the Saturday and Sunday though.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
topcat, We're in manchester (Marple) but would be heading up on thursday daytime probably, returning monday after skiing. assuming I get some painting done instead of posting on here of course Smile
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
topcat, we're in Cheshire, but could meet you somewhere, although we are going Saturday morning to Monday evening if that's any good to you? want to leave early Saturday (like 6ish Shocked ) so let me know if that interests you.

D
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
[waves] to nbt, about 10 miles ish from us (Bollington)!

Now get off here and get painting!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Deliaskis, thanks for the offer but I think I can only really stay one night as I've been away alot recently (being winter and all that!) and don't want to have to find someone to feed my cat again. If I can find another way back then I'll let you know.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
nbt, thanks for the offer too but can't go until Saturday.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
IMHO Easter is all going to be out timing, trying to be there when the vis improves, hopefully just after a fresh dump Smile

I shall be watching with interest, really not sure I can get up as I go away with the family skiing on the 29th..

Latest weather warnings from the Met Office http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/uk_forecast_warnings.html

Risk of disruption Warning Valid
UK regions: Central, Tayside & Fife
Grampian
Yorkshire & Humber
Highlands & Eilean Siar
SW Scotland, Lothian & Borders
North East England
Heavy Snow Fri 21 Mar
There is a moderate risk of a severe event affecting Eastern Scotland and northeastern England. There is a potential for heavy snow with 5 to 10 cms possible over higher ground, and temporary accumulations of up to 2 cm at low-levels. The risk increases during the second part of the day as colder air spreads southwards.

Issued at: 1025 Tue 18 Mar

UK regions: East of England
Central, Tayside & Fife
Yorkshire & Humber
East Midlands
SW Scotland, Lothian & Borders
Grampian
Highlands & Eilean Siar
North East England
Heavy Snow Sat 22 Mar
There is a moderate risk of a severe event affecting eastern Scotland and eastern parts of England. There is a potential for heavy snow with temporary accumulations of up to 2 cms possible at low levels, and accumulations of 5 to 10 cms possible over high ground, especially during the first half of the day.

Issued at: 1119 Tue 18 Mar
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
kitenski wrote:
There is a potential for heavy snow with temporary accumulations of up to 2 cms possible at low levels, and accumulations of 5 to 10 cms possible over high ground, especially during the first half of the day.

Well, if it's that sort of depth I don't call it heavy at all - in Mammoth in Feb they were having 3/4 inches (7.5 to 10cm) an hour - now that's heavy, believe me!

Hopefully they're wrong and there will be far more snow up high but as it stands I wouldn't worry too much about driving up unless there's gales as well, and Friday morning seems to be pre-storm anyway so should be okay.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
nbt, best of luck with the painting and hopefuly see you up there snowHead
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hmmm I was just thinking that 2cms lower down was nothing, but then again I am not snow experienced. Am I right in thinking that, because the UK doesn't get snow very often if at all, there's a great big fuss (usually about nothing) when we are forecast to have a bit of snow? I might be wrong and I suppose I will have to wait and see what its like!?
snow report
The thing is guys, Scotlands snow depth is due to wind blowing the snow into gullies and against fences, so the accumulation number is pretty irrelevant....
latest report
VolklAttivaS5 wrote:
Hmmm I was just thinking that 2cms lower down was nothing, but then again I am not snow experienced. Am I right in thinking that, because the UK doesn't get snow very often if at all, there's a great big fuss (usually about nothing) when we are forecast to have a bit of snow? I might be wrong and I suppose I will have to wait and see what its like!?

Well, the people saying it's "heavy" are probably based in London or somewhere south so 2cm might be masses to them rolling eyes . I often laugh at people in Bristol who panic at the merest whif of snow and after about 1mm all the buses are taken off the road and people start crashing into each other. It's a joke really and I've driven without chains in more than 2cm in the north of Scotland in the past with few hassles although if you get behind some people from the central belt you could have a harder time!

Anyway, if it's heavier than that they'll have the ploughs out and the roads will be cleared but 2cm is nothing to be honest.
latest report
VolklAttivaS5, you're partly right, 2cm lower down is just a sprinkling for alpine countries, barely noticed, but as far aw I am aware, the met office warnings are really designed to predict when weather is likely to cause any kind of disruption, to traffic, power, essential services, or risk to people's health, etc. so yes 2cm is considered noteworthy in the UK, as it will undoubtedly result in more RTAs for example, even if it's not heavy enough to cause problems to power lines etc.

D
ski holidays
Deliaskis,
Quote:

but as far aw I am aware, the met office warnings are really designed to predict when weather is likely to cause any kind of disruption, to traffic, power, essential services, or risk to people's health, etc. so yes 2cm is considered noteworthy in the UK, as it will undoubtedly result in more RTAs for example, even if it's not heavy enough to cause problems to power lines etc.

Ah yes, you are right Deliaskis, and after all it would be not sensible if they don't say anything about the snow at all. It makes me wonder what they mean by "a severe event". Besides it does cause chaos in England when we have snow because people aren't used to driving on it and usually don't have winter tyres on their cars resulting in many prangs and delays.
ski holidays
About 3cm fell while I was skiing today just to freshen things up even more Smile the snow was only "heavy" for 30mins or so.
snow report
Excellent. I'm sure it won't be a problem for us at the weekend. Not long now until Friday!

II, Do you know what days you are going to Nevis now?
ski holidays
Oh man, we're probaby doing a trip to Nevis for Easter weekend now. Talk about last minute!
latest report
wow it'll be nice to catch up with so many snowheads.
snow report
VolklAttivaS5, err... yesterday and Saturday and Sunday I think but may be persuaded to go to glencoe one day?
snow conditions
II, Ooh great. paulio, brill kiwi1, yes!
snow conditions
B&B booked, oh my gawd I can't believe I'm actually doing this.

Going to see how far I can get tomorrow night after work, hopefully be able to book into some grim Alan Partridge style hotel near the M6 or so and finish the job on Friday morning. Might even get half a day's ski in, but only really banking on Sat and Sun.

Say a little prayer for my poorly maintained M-reg car, everybody, please...
ski holidays
Hopefully we'll see you all up there. Painting is done, car's going in tomorrow to get new brake pads, as long as it's done by lunch we should be away mid afternoon Smile
ski holidays
So far I think we have the following people definitely coming, sorry if I've missed anyone or some details please add your names below.

Swapping mobile numbers would be a good idea too so if anyone who hasn't wants to PM me with theirs I'll PM back with mine.

kiwi1 & partner (organising the ski test) - staying at Burnbank Lodges
Roga (me) - staying at the Lochview (Friday, Saturday & Sunday nights)
VolklAttivaS5 - staying at the Lochview (Friday, Saturday & Sunday nights)
Deliaskis & Mr Deliaskis - staying at the Lochview (Saturday and Sunday nights)
Dave Horsley - staying at the Lochview (Friday & Saturday nights)
II - local so driving over each day
nbt - staying at ?
paulio - staying at ?
ickabodblue - - staying at ?
ccl - driving up on Saturday I think

That's a total of 12 but I'm sure there are a few more people intending to go...

Anyone I've missed?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Not booked anywhere yet, we'll see how Mrs NBT feels tomorrow and let you know if we can make it. We'll try the Burnbank first I think
snow conditions
roga, that looks like everyone I have seen.

Others who looked to be considering it were jonm and topcat, both considering if they could get transport arrangements that worked.

But your list seems to be all the definites...

D
snow report
Okay, changes made:

Definite:
paulio - staying at ?
ickabodblue - staying at ?

Possible:
nbt and Mrs nbt
jonm
topcat
latest report
your going to double the amount of folk on the slopes Smile

Have fun, hopefully the wind dies down and todays rain turns to snow as forecast for everyone. Take lots of pics Smile
snow report
roga wrote:
Okay, changes made:

Definite:
paulio - staying at ?
ickabodblue - staying at ?
Inca - Kiwi1's yellow lab
Storm - Kiwi1's other yellow lab

Possible:
nbt and Mrs nbt
jonm
topcat

Looking forward to meeting you all.
latest report
kitenski wrote:
your going to double the amount of folk on the slopes Smile

LOL, I'll be happy if that's the case, rather that than crowds that they can't cope with like Easter 2006 at Cairngorm the memory still haunts me Shocked wink
Quote:
Have fun, hopefully the wind dies down and todays rain turns to snow as forecast for everyone. Take lots of pics Smile

The wind is forecast to die down tomorrow and Saturday and Sunday with Sunday looking best at the moment, could all change of course but it's looking pretty cold over the weekend too with fresh snow later today and into the weekend snowHead

Glencoe is closed today due to the winds but Nevis are running limited uplift and in the east Cairngorm are running the funicular and Core Cas tow. Winds set to die down tomorrow a bit and I note over the wekend Cairngorm are planning on opening the West Wall in Core na Ciste which, if there's any problems in the west, is a great alternative, brilliant run but for more advanced riders only - there's plenty of beginer and intermediate stuff in Core Cas and at the top tho snowHead .

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Thu 20-03-08 12:44; edited 1 time in total
snow report
kiwi1 wrote:
Looking forward to meeting you all.

Same here Very Happy
snow report
As I'm mainly babysitting this weekend whilst the Mrs is on a hen do, could I wish you all a fairly Going green good time.
snow conditions
Mosha Marc, thanks very much Very Happy

Right, we're very close to it now so here's some detailed weather information and advice (for anyone who hasn't been in the Scottish mountains before) - I'll post this on the other thread and have posted in the Scottish weather thread too, apologies in advance for posting the same thing more than once but it might be useful to one or two people and each message is ever so slightly diferent... honest mods Toofy Grin

One of the best places for detailed information on Scottish mountain weather is the Mountain Weather Information Service (MWIS) who publish detailed daily weather information.

Click here to view the latest report (PDF) for the West Highlands, including the Nevis Range area.

From what I can see there although the freezing level shot up this morning and there's rain even on the highest tops it's set to go down again later (and stay down) giving snow down to 550m - "Freezing level: 1300m, lowering progressively toward 550m from north from late morning onwards."

The outlook for the weekend:
"A bitterly cold Easter Weekend on all mountains, with persistent, at times strong northerly winds bringing sub-freezing temperatures to even fairly low hills. Snow showers will continue, mainly on hills open to the sea to the north, but there remains the risk of one or two troughs bringing temporarily widespread snow on Sunday or possibly Monday."

So I'd suggest anyone heading up takes lots of warm gear (face masks if you have 'em too - I got one in Mammoth last month for similar conditions lol), wind chill is apparently going to severe:

Friday - "At 900m: –5C but will feel as cold as minus 22C directly in wind. Freezing level: 300m."
Saturday - "At 900m: –6C but will feel as cold as minus 19C directly in wind. Freezing level: 250m."

See you up there Toofy Grin
ski holidays
roga, sent you my number, check your PMs
snow report
paulio wrote:
roga, sent you my number, check your PMs

Cheers paulio, will reply shortly Toofy Grin
snow conditions
PMed my mobile too Smile
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy