Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

SCOTLAND May Day weekend YEEEHAAA!

Poster: A snowHead
We had such a great time at Easter in Scotland and there's so much snow that some of us are thinking about doing another wee jaunt for the May day weekend - 3rd, 4th and 5th of May.

This time it'll be skiing in the sun (we hope, but there's a good chance), long summer evenings (and they're long ooop north) and time for beer, barbies and beaches after skiing (Loch Morlich being 5 minutes down the ski road).

Skiing usually stretches to late April/early May anyway in Scotland so it's a fair bet there will be sport to be had, even if limited, and this year there's one heck of a base so a better than usual chance of sliding into May.

Sound good?

Take a look at the bottom of page 3 here for the start of our ramblings about May Day weekend Toofy Grin

-------------------------------------------------
Here's that original post about Easter FYI:
-------------------------------------------------

A while back a ski test at Nevis range was planned for the Easter weekend and a few Snowheads expressed an interest - see the thread here.

That test is happening the weekend after this with superb conditions now available at both Nevis and Glencoe (blue skies and powder in between storms that are laying down more and more of the white stuff. With Glencoe being just down the road from Nevis it'll be possible to ski both over the long wekend.

I'm heading up and really looking forward to it so is anyone else here going too?

How about a meet up over the weekend?

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Tue 1-04-08 21:45; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
roga, Quite possibly, won't be making a decision until Wed/Thur though. If do manage to make it, will drive up early on the Friday morning.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'd be interested in having a look at that also subject to work commitments- won't know for definite until after the weekend/early next week-I've not been to Scotland before sounds like it could be a good laugh. Who is going that lives in the Midlands/South of the Midlands? roga, I take it you are since it says Bristol on your location?

Also, apart from the ski testing what is the skiing like for those that have skied in Scotland before?

Thanks
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hi guys, thanks for the replies Very Happy

srobbo, no worries give me a shout if you're going.

VolklAttivaS5, yes I'm in Bristol but am flying up this time since I have to work Thursday and the friend I've been up with before is away so no car share - I grabbed an Easyjet flight to Glasgow from Bristol, for just over £80 return a couple of days ago and I'm hiring a car from Glasgow. Flight's at 7am and I get to Glasgow just after 8 so should be on the hill around 10/11am Friday.

As for the skiing, it's wilder and rawer than the Alps and the ski areas are far smaller but there's lots of varied terrain if current conditions stick around for the next week and a half it'll be great given the weather plays ball. Nevis has runs that'll suit all abilities and a stunning semi-off piste powder bowl at the back that involves hucking it off a cornice to get in, their website is here. Glencoe is a lot more rugged with terrain that's some of the most challenging lift served in Scotland as well as easier stuff too, website here. Cairngorm has a larger area of mountain and is quite varied but probably these days most suitable for intermediates given they often only open lifts on one side and the top of the hill - website here.

Being realistic there's always the chance of wild winds and whiteouts (even rain) but from Fort William (which is on the West coast) there's a choice of 3 ski areas - Nevis 5 minutes down the road, Glencoe 30 minutes down the road and Cairngorm 50 minutes to the east so there's a reasonable chance of heading elsewhere if the weather looks bad at the start of a day unless the whole highlands are experiencing the same weather. Forecast wise it's looking cold up until next Monday 17th, which is as far as the forecast goes, with a couple of days of snow showers and the rest part cloudy with sun. Fingers crossed this pattern continues into the following weekend but in Scotland there are no guarantees it has to be said. Having said that there will definitely be snow given the amount that's fallen in the last couple of weeks so few worries there.

Personally I love it up there, but I did spend my formative years on the Scottish mountains and learnt to ski there so I'm used to it but there are plenty of people who enjoy it when they try it (as well as some who don't, LOL) snowHead

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Fri 14-03-08 0:34; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Cool.

Thats a good idea getting a flight. Just had a look out of interest to price it up for driving or getting the train and the train is like 10-12 hours and driving is 9 hours according to Multimap......so I think I will see if I can get a flight and price it all up either from Birmingham or Bristol meself to see if thats any good. Where is everyone going to be staying once you get to (presumably) Fort William? Any ideas? Would be good if everyone was in the same place but that's probably not feasible over England Easter weekend.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
VolklAttivaS5 wrote:
Thats a good idea getting a flight. Just had a look out of interest to price it up for driving or getting the train and the train is like 10-12 hours and driving is 9 hours according to Multimap......

Not wanting to elicit the attention of the forcs of law and order but let's say given a fair wind and no significant delays it can be done overnight faster than that - around 7 hours and I'll say no more... Toofy Grin
Quote:
so I think I will see if I can get a flight and price it all up either from Birmingham or Bristol meself to see if thats any good.

If you fly from Bristol Friday morning give me a shout 'coz I'm on the early morning flight and if from elsewhere and you arrive between 8 and 9am in Glasgow I can easily hang around and give you a lift from there up to Nevis.
Quote:
Where is everyone going to be staying once you get to (presumably) Fort William? Any ideas?

I've been asking that question of people for a while and have little joy in getting answers so I don't know about anyone else apart from kiwi1 who is at Burnbank Lodges. I'm in the process of booking so haven't finalised anything but have found a B&B (www.lochview.co.uk) that's £38 a night and if you'd like me to I can let you know as soon as I can confirm a booking.
Quote:
Would be good if everyone was in the same place but that's probably not feasible over England Easter weekend.

I agree but at least if we're all in Fort William or close we can maybe meet up at least one night and head to a restaurant and/or pub or even a ceilidh if anyone fancies a Scottish hoolie Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Ok Roga cheers for the lift offer....by the way are you flying back on the Sunday or the Monday? I have seen a flight from Birmingham that gets in to Glasgow at 08.25 on Friday 21st-bout the same time as your Bristol flight it appears. Looked at flying back on the Monday morning departing at 12.20 which is not long after they chuck you out the rooms which is pretty handy.....had a look at that B&B-looks alright that, quite nice and close to town as well for evening meals and ok at £38 per night and at least they offer single rooms. Have you checked availability?

As I said in my earlier post, I can't say for definite right now but its looking like its all going to plan at the minute....will you be taking your own skis or not??

Also.....what about the lift pass situation, do we just pay for a day or half a day wherever we go?

I might hire me own car anyway as it wouldn't seem fair to rely on you/other people to ferry me and my gear about especially if it involves going to different places. Will I need my balaclava in Scotland?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
VolklAttivaS5 wrote:
Ok Roga cheers for the lift offer....by the way are you flying back on the Sunday or the Monday? I have seen a flight from Birmingham that gets in to Glasgow at 08.25 on Friday 21st-bout the same time as your Bristol flight it appears.

Yup, IIRC mine is in at 8.15am.
Quote:
Looked at flying back on the Monday morning departing at 12.20 which is not long after they chuck you out the rooms which is pretty handy.....

I'm heading back Monday evening which will allow me a full day skiing as well Very Happy
Quote:
had a look at that B&B-looks alright that, quite nice and close to town as well for evening meals and ok at £38 per night and at least they offer single rooms. Have you checked availability?

Yes, they had availability yesterday.
Quote:
As I said in my earlier post, I can't say for definite right now but its looking like its all going to plan at the minute....will you be taking your own skis or not??

I'm taking my own skis - all mountain ones which I find are the best bet in Scotland rather than on-piste carvers.
Quote:
Also.....what about the lift pass situation, do we just pay for a day or half a day wherever we go?

Yup, one tip is take cash because they have separate queues at Nevis for cash and cards and if there are lots of people there it'll be much quicker to pay with cash. I believe it's also better to use cash at Glencoe too.
Quote:
I might hire me own car anyway as it wouldn't seem fair to rely on you/other people to ferry me and my gear about especially if it involves going to different places.

If flight times are roughly the same it's not a problem but up to you.
Quote:
Will I need my balaclava in Scotland?

I'd come prepared for all eventualities! Toofy Grin Laughing
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

I'm taking my own skis - all mountain ones which I find are the best bet in Scotland rather than on-piste carvers.

Oh good, yes I have some skis that will be most "suitable" Toofy Grin

Thanks re taking cash for lift pass, I thought that would be very sensible anyhow if we are going to be going wherever the snow is.

I am going to fly back on the Monday lunchtime at 12.20 since I'll need to pack up and check out of the accomodation probably by 10am. That'll do nicely, Fri, Sat and Sun skiing somewhere different and testing different skis, will be interesting to see how mine compare actually. It will make a nice change and I'll be back home in plenty of time for work on Tuesday then too.

Ok re balaclava, I needed the Windstopper in Tignes first week of December for sure so I'll pack it just in case.

I'll PM you once I know for definite if I'm going or not and will check out that B&B too. Thanks for the info! snowHead
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Well thats me sorted. I have posted this onto the Nevis thread in Events as well. I have booked a double room in the Lochview presumably in the same place as roga is staying as they have one guest booked in there for the ski testing already. They do have some more double rooms available www.lochview.co.uk if anyone else is looking for accomodation (all with ensuites I believe and the breakfast menu sounds nice too) which, if you have a room for 1 person costs £45 per night or if sharing £30 per night. Not bad really considering it is very close to Nevis Range and not far at all for evening meals/meeting up with other in Fort William.

Flight-Easyjet from Bristol to Glasgow Fri morning to late Monday evening. Thought would be worthwhile skiing the Monday after all especially as I won't be getting to Nevis Range there until about the Friday lunchtime probably.

Who else has now booked for this for definite apart from me and roga?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hi guys, the other half and I are considering it. Would be nice to have a mini snowHead meet. We're trying to decide whether to head up to Scotland for easter or go to the EOSB (but not sure we're brave enough yet!), will post when we have decided!

D
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
VolklAttivaS5, excellent - see you there snowHead

Deliaskis, do let us know what you decide - if you do decide to go you can tell me all about Kaprun and Zell Am See, am considering a trip over there in early April Very Happy
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
OK, have just convinced the husband.

Have left a message at the Lochview asking if they have room, hopefully they will!

Will be coming up Saturday from Cheshire but will leave early so hopefully make it by mid-late morning.

Yahay! Am excited - will have to get our skis back down from the loft again!

D
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
roga, Brill have replied to your PM.

Deliaskis, yes I would like to know more about Kaprun and Zell also. It would be great if you two could stay at the Lochview also with myself and roga. I am sure they will have a room as they said this afternoon they had more than one double room.

Excellent-I am really looking forward to it-hopefully the good conditions in Nevis/Glencoe will continue into next weekend.

snowHead
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
VolklAttivaS5, and roga, I will be happy to deliver a short seminar wink on the delights of Zell Am See and Kaprun, and will be signing copies of my book 'Public Speaking Made Easy' in the lobby afterwards Laughing ! Hope we can hook up with you guys sometime on Saturday, as we will probably be on the mountain by lunchtime. Can we pm to swop mobile numbers or something, or do you have walkie talkies??

Will be good to meet more snowHead !

D
snow conditions
cool trip guys, and you've timed it nicely! wish I could be there snowHead
ski holidays
Deliaskis, go on Jo, it'd be good to catch up with you again.

PS get to Deliaskis, appartment in Zell. Very nice. I'll do a proper review soon.
ski holidays
Deliaskis, I have PM'd you with my mobile number. I will be there on the Friday lunchtime and apparently roga will be too (we haven't met before either). Have you and Mr Deliaskis skied in Nevis before and been down the Back Corries?
ski holidays
VolklAttivaS5, we've both skied Nevis before, although me only once, and it was extremely windswept so not a lot of lifts open and no corries Sad .

H (who will have to join snowHead himself to avoid being called Mr Delia, which is after all not very macho!) has skied the back corries a few years back with his brother, and said it was fun. Some quite steep sections and mainly unpisted (like a lot of Scotland!), and fun options down the back, and then traverse to get back round to the front. Am looking forward to having a go!

Caveat: H has just said 'that's what I remember, but it was 7 years ago', so a rather large pinch of salt required.

Have skied Glencoe more as it's a tad nearer for us, so will be nice to see Nevis again.

D
snow report
Great-know what you mean about the two threads! I think I am just going to post on this one now!

Yes I would like to have a go at the Back Corries meself if they are open-there is talk of them being open this weekend so hopefully next weekend will be the same. I am certainly not as experienced as you in terms of weeks skied but I can get down pretty much anything on piste and don't mind about the conditions. I've only done a little bit of off piste so far but there is more to come. I guess I can peer over the edge of the Back Corries when I'm there and make a decision if they are do able for me or not!

I've just bought some Scott Rosa's in the sales-last pair they had in a 168! The female equivalent of the Missions-identical in every way, geometry etc although the Rosas are a little bit lighter than the Missions. Anybody got some Scott Rosas by the way? I've not tried them yet and was thinking I would have to wait until next month to try them in Val D'Isere-seems like next weekend in Scotland will be the prime opportunity and the terrain to give them a try! Can't wait!

Any other snowHead coming to Lochview with us then (provided they have room of course-hurry!) Jo fingers crossed about the availability of a room! Spoke to the chap at Lochview today and they sound like a very nice couple. Plus a garage to store the skis and boots in. Plus breakfast menu looks very nice indeed. I didn't mind paying the £45 per night-I know you can get cheaper but worth it I reckon for a quality double room with ensuite and breakfast in a good location.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Sat 15-03-08 0:15; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Am hoping the corries will be open too. H said that although there are steepish parts, they are still pretty do-able , with varying levels of style! His brother was a relative novice and he survived! And they open up quite a big portion of the ski area so it's worth having a go...

And PS - number of weeks skied does not mean anything really!

D
snow report
Right then! Wasn't sure just how "gnarly" those Back Corries were and if brother of H got down I surely can too! Yippee can't wait to try! As long as they are open of course.

Roll on next Friday!

snowHead snowHead
snow report
OK, spoke to the nice lady at the Lochview and we are booked for Saturday & Sunday night.

See you on the mountain around Saturday lunchtime!

D
latest report
^ Excellent Deliaskis, see you up there.

BTW, just checked the status of the Braveheart chair on Winterhighland and it's OPEN today - expect some truly awesome photos on Winterhighland later!

Very quiet over there at the moment, I expect they're all skiing... funny that Toofy Grin
latest report
Deliaskis, brill the more the merrier!roga, ^ excellent news. Will take a look at the Winterhighland site.
ski holidays
Some piccies of the back corries at Nevis Range today now on Winterhighland:

http://www.winterhighland.info/forum/file.php?2,file=3792
http://www.winterhighland.info/forum/file.php?2,file=3793
http://www.winterhighland.info/forum/file.php?2,file=3794

http://www.winterhighland.info/forum/file.php?2,file=3784
http://www.winterhighland.info/forum/file.php?2,file=3785

The last one shows Braveheart working, apparently it had a few problems later on though.

This one shows the kind of vertical near the top:
http://www.winterhighland.info/forum/file.php?2,file=3787

And some more:
http://www.winterhighland.info/forum/file.php?2,file=3788
http://www.winterhighland.info/forum/file.php?2,file=3790

Looks like the back corries where the place to be today!

It rained most of the day here in Bristol... rolling eyes
ski holidays
roga, Looks fantastic! Can't wait until next week when we are going to be skiing there!! Hopefully!

Besides even if the Back Corries aren't open next week the conditions are looking great elsewhere anyway so there should be plenty of skiing to be had eh.

I'm wondering if my Rosas are going to feel really different to my piste skis or not really-I've not tried a mid fat ski before, my Attivas are 69 under the foot the Rosas are 86. With a radius of 13.2m! Thats less than my Attivas! Slightly!
ski holidays
Sweet pics.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
VolklAttivaS5 wrote:
roga, Looks fantastic! Can't wait until next week when we are going to be skiing there!! Hopefully!

Besides even if the Back Corries aren't open next week the conditions are looking great elsewhere anyway so there should be plenty of skiing to be had eh.

I'd say so but remember these are small resorts, the larger ones (as in very small alpine size) are Cairngorm and Glenshee in the east. IMHO there's plenty to play on at Nevis for a couple of days without the back corries and coupled with Glencoe there's plenty for the 4 days. It's worth noting though that there's nothing stopping anyone heading into the Back Corries even when it's not officially open but if you injure yourself it might be awkward getting out.
Quote:
I'm wondering if my Rosas are going to feel really different to my piste skis or not really-I've not tried a mid fat ski before, my Attivas are 69 under the foot the Rosas are 86. With a radius of 13.2m! Thats less than my Attivas! Slightly!

I'm taking my mid(ish)-fat(ish) Line Prophets which are 80 underfoot and when I first skied them I was surprised at how easy they are to carve and turn on. My piste skis, which I now only use on hardpack and ice, are 66 underfoot and if anything I think that's too narrow for many conditions - fantastic on ice though! The main factor that affects performance will be the side cut, which I'd guess is as good as mine at 117 80 109.

So, I wouldn't worry too much but I'd suggest getting used to them for a bit before taking a leap into the Back Corries, you want to get to know the skis and adjust your technique before doing something like that.
snow conditions
Quote:

VolklAttivaS5 wrote:

I'd say so but remember these are small resorts, the larger ones (as in very small alpine size) are Cairngorm and Glenshee in the east. IMHO there's plenty to play on at Nevis for a couple of days without the back corries and coupled with Glencoe there's plenty for the 4 days. It's worth noting though that there's nothing stopping anyone heading into the Back Corries even when it's not officially open but if you injure yourself it might be awkward getting out.

Yeah sorry I meant elsewhere in Nevis as in without the Back Corries.

Quote:

So, I wouldn't worry too much but I'd suggest getting used to them for a bit before taking a leap into the Back Corries, you want to get to know the skis and adjust your technique before doing something like that.

Roga! No s**t! I wasn't planning on launching myself down the Back Corries until I'd got used to the skis a bit! Laughing But its nice of you to consider my well being all the same! snowHead snowHead
snow conditions
VolklAttivaS5 wrote:
Roga! No s**t! I wasn't planning on launching myself down the Back Corries until I'd got used to the skis a bit! Laughing But its nice of you to consider my well being all the same! snowHead snowHead

Sorry Embarassed

I'm really just trying to find an excuse for me not launching myself in there straight away wink Toofy Grin
latest report
Ah I see! Method in the madness.

Well no worries-looking at the pics that "firstracks" has posted on the other Scotland thread then I will be making sure I am more than happy before attempting anything mad besides as I said I don't want to do myself a mischief and miss out on Val D next month!
snow conditions
^ no worries.

Yeah, those photos are totally epic, gobsmacking, superb!

Scottish mountains may be smaller than the Alps but it's these kinds of photos that show it can be just as good - yeah I really did say that Toofy Grin
latest report
I will be at Nevis one day mid week and hopfully 2 days for the test I don't know which days yet though. See you there snowHead
ski holidays
Ok II
snow conditions
II wrote:
I will be at Nevis one day mid week and hopefully 2 days for the test I don't know which days yet though. See you there snowHead

Hey II cool - I still have your mobile number from last time, do you have mine?
latest report
II, Are you going for Eurotesting since you are at Nevis midweek? I see they have moved the Eurotest from Cairngorm to Nevis Range instead.
ski holidays
roga, yes, still on my phone somewhere.
VolklAttivaS5, no, I'm not that good Laughing I live a little over 1 hour from Nevis and have a season ticket snowHead
snow report
II wrote:
roga, yes, still on my phone somewhere.

Cool, just gimme a shout when you're there Toofy Grin
Quote:
VolklAttivaS5, no, I'm not that good Laughing I live a little over 1 hour from Nevis and have a season ticket snowHead

Out of interest I presume it's being held on the Goose? I always thought they had to run the test on an FIS approved GS course - so is The Goose FIS approved?
snow report
The cold weather and even more snow is a coming!!

Take a look at my post here Shocked snowHead snowHead
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy