Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

So.... he he... tell me all you know about Banff - and...

Poster: A snowHead
what K2 skis would you buy - any of them?

YYYYYEEEEEEEEEHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAA........

The time has come to share my good news - and what good news it is!

Remember that Fall-line ski mag comp to win a holiday to Banff?

I WON!!!!!!!

I am so excited. So's whoever i'll be taking
Very Happy

So, who's been to Banff and how good is it...

I feel like i've won the lottery Very Happy
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
shoogly, nice one, what you need to do is take someone who's been before and can help yo find your way around.

did I mention I've been to Banff? Shock)

Nice one. V Happy for you.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
shoogly, Congrats. Have a great time Toofy Grin
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
shoogly, good one. Banff is great; plenty of good skiing for all and an entertaining town.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
shoogly, Hey, well done you. It's really great to know that these competitions do get won!!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I am now going to enter every single comp that i see...

If you want to know how i won, send a SAE to me with £5 in it and i'll let you know Very Happy

he he... all jesting aside, you've got to be in it to win it and i've not stopped smiling (uncontrollably) since i found out Very Happy
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Banff? HELLBENTS! Ski du jour for the Dive, or Seths at least.

Nice one, you jammy sod Very Happy It's better than winning the lottery, as people are less likely to regard you as a chavvy oik with a scratchcard fixation.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Cunners wrote:
people are less likely to regard you as a chavvy oik with a scratchcard fixation.

lol...

Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
shoogly wrote:

Not working for me - I won a holiday three seasons back with the GB Junior ski tem adraw but haven;t won anything since.

didn't one of the norn iron lot wina freebie too? Wass it johnnyboy or johnboy or something like that? Any subsequent wins?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I won a holiday to Zell am See 2 years ago staying at the Grand. Excellent time.

I've been to Banff - absolutely brilliant time. We stayed at the Chateau Lake Louise (Lake Louise is about half an hour away on shuttle bus) and at Sunshine Village (where most of the visitors to Banff actually ski). Banff is a nice mix of relaxed atmosphere, good pubs, restaurants and shops. You need to get a bus to the slopes but the scenery is great and conditions fantastic.

Have fun!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Well done!

I went there four years ago - ALSO by winning a magazine competition (Daily Mail Ski & Snowboard mag) Very Happy .

My trip was 5 days in Jasper, 2 in Lake Louise and 3 in Banff (All staying in the Fairmont hotels).

All the skiing is a bus ride away from the town (10 minutes to Norquay, half an hour to Sunshine - but a long gondola up from the base, and about 45 minutes to Lake Louise). Assuming you have a multi day tri area pass, the buses are all included in the cost.

The snow, for those used to Europe, was absolutely fantastic, and the pistes were almost empty - although there were some lift queues because they seem to have fewer lifts for a given ski area than are typically used in Europe.

Quote:

Absolutely. I still do a lot of competitions, and have won a few, including a pair of skis from the ifyouski website (Atomic c9 Puls).

The trip to Canada was my biggest win so far though.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
shoogly, woo hoo. Well done that's brilliant news. Banff is fantastic you'll have a great time. I went in Jan, do a search as I did a mini report and there have been loads of others.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
shoogly, Lucky you, enjoy Very Happy right I'm off to enter every comp I can find! Very Happy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
'Fraid to tell you that Banff is completely SH1TE.........bad snow record, crowded pistes, tiny ski areas, vertical less than the Lecht.........You've probably got the picture. Must be why they're giving trips away in ski mags. Don't waste your time.

How does £100 to take the trip off your hands sound? Can't say fairer than that!!l
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
mountainaddict, i'd love to take you up on the offer, but i'm afraid it's non-transferable so, i'm just going to have to endure it...

bummer*, huh Puzzled

Very Happy

*thinking about it, that comment would be more at home on the "gay ski holiday thread"! Toofy Grin
snow conditions
shoogly, congrats! When are you going, this season or next? I was there a couple of weeks ago, just for a few days, and had a pretty good time despite it being in a fairly long period of no snow. At sunshine, Delirium Dive was closed and so it was mainly groomers, bumps or park. They have had a bit of snow since, and apparently the Dive was open last week. Lake louise was good fun too; even with the lack of snow, some of the chutes in the back bowls ("the ultimate steeps") were lots of fun and in decent nick. Also I enjoyed the couloir which is just the other side of the rocks on Hectors ridge (requires a bit of a hike). Some of the groomers down to the village from the top of the gondi, and the top of the 6man chair, can be lots of fun too! Dont rule out the possibility of a day at Kicking Horse- in Golden, about an hour past LL. It's a great resort with awesome terrain and gets good snow (though the lift system, as alex mentions above, is definitely different to the European approach!).

In Banff, check out the hot springs after a day's skiing; Aurora's on a Sunday night seems to bring out a lot of the locals/seasonnaires and from 9-11pm does 25cent beers (theyre tiny, about a third of a pint, but even so that's 75cent pints- in a touristy ski town!). There's a decent curry house ("masala" I think), and the food & booze at the Elk & Oarsman (iirc) was pretty good.
snow report
shoogly, lucky get Going green

Get those fat boys waxed.
latest report
RobH, not sure when we're going yet. Still need to arrange everything. I wouldn't mind it being next season to tell the truth as i need as many holidays as i can get as we've got our first kid on the way. I'll take it whenever though - as long as my work "understand"!

Just been on google earth and the place looks stunning. We were in Whistler a few years back but not for the snow and i always said i wanted to go back one year for a ski holiday... Banff will do wink

What kind of snow do they get there, wet or dry? I'm thinking i'll get wide skis to make the most of it and take my AMC 79s for any time that we're just spending on piste.

Lessons are thrown into the deal, so i'm going to get lessons on skiing the really steep stuff. I'm ok up to a point but still feel a bit out of control when the going gets very steep.

Thanks for the tip on the 25cent beers

much appreciated.
snow conditions
Best skiing at Lake Louise but Sunshine worth a day. Make sure you go into the Chateau Lake Louise and have a look round - its big and there are usually great ice carvings on the lake. Have a wonderful trip.
ski holidays
What's Banff like (snow) in early april? If we go this year it's more than likely that's when we'll go, or maybe the last week of March Very Happy

Dug out my copy of Fall Line and we get 3 nights at Fairmont Banff Springs and 4 at Fairmont Lake Louise... nae bad at all!
ski holidays
shoogly, in my experience over 6 years, good to very good. The ski out at Sunshine may be a bit dodgy (or even shut), and the lower front side at LL can be soft, but it's just as likely to be great snow everywhere). They often get a good deal of snow in March/April. Nice digs; the Banff Springs is a terrific hotel, not so keen on the Chateau LL (there's nothing much wrong with it, but it doesn't have the character of the BS), but some rooms have a fantastic view across the lake to the glacier - worth an upgrade if they haven't had the decency to give you one.

I don't know why I'm being so positive, I hate you.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Fri 14-03-08 11:28; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
I was just about to ask you to come with me until you said "I hate you"!!!

wink

cheers for the info.
snow report
Me and my big mouth.
latest report
shoogly, i'm living in Banff so I guess that qualifies me to give you the low down. The bus ride CAN be a pain in the back bottom but it's usually not that bad tbh. This year the season has been fairly poor with the snowpack but generally its excellent. (New snow on the way today). The nightlife is good but far from European standard, starts late, finishes early (around 2/3). Some excellent restraunts Buffalo Lodge for one-up on hidden ridge-remember your credit card for that one though.

Stick to Lake Louise if the snow is good, in my opinion it is far better than the other 2 but unfortunately Sunshine is blessed with some of the most consistent snow around. Ehh i can't think of anything else, if you have any Q's jus ask.
snow conditions
Rossfra8, thanks for the info. Looks like i'll be spending three nights at the fairmont banff springs and then 4 at the fairmont lake louise Very Happy Just waiting on the friendly folk at that end to contact me (seconds seem like minutes and minutes like hours!)

not bothered about any bus ride - i'll just be feeling so happy to be there in the first place.

flights are with zoom so i'm guessing we'll be out wednesday - wednesday to co-incide with flights from glasgow. hoping for april 2nd Toofy Grin

the BIG question is... will it be too cold to ski in kilts? Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
It's never too cold to ski in kilts BUT i'd recommend thermals underneath at the very least. Never under estimate Spring in the Rockies I wouldn't be suprised with -15 or even 15degrees. Springs is nice if a bit far from town, Rimrock is a nicer place to stay it just doesn't have the aura of the Springs.

Take your fat skis if your going at start of April.
snow conditions
Rossfra8, lol... see my other thread in equipment reviews section... i need to buy some fat skis! dont know what ones though.

what do you ski out there and what level skier / terrain do you ski?

can you answer in the other thread to keep things organised Very Happy

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=37819
snow conditions
shoogly, If you need a companion I can offer the advantage of home cooked English breakfast every morning. wink
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Megamum, most tempting offer yet! even more tempting than any from people i actually know!
snow conditions
Banff? Well it's near Macduff...

I'll get my coat! Crying or Very sad
snow report
I just couldn't see the point in entering that competition Wink
latest report
We're back....

I'm now in a state of deep depression and can't be bothered with life anymore Sad

but... WOW! what a trip.

trip report here

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=39055#922973

just one wee taster pic Very Happy

ski holidays
Looks poor.

I can understand why they gave the trip away Going green
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy