Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Vallee blanche chamonix

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
crosbie, did the chap manage to pick up his kid on time?

Even if you got the communication a bit skewed the guide should have adapted plus you paid for all day, the kid thing should not have arisen, sounds a bit unprofessional. It can be a zoo at the midi cable car with itinerant guides making up parties from random skier, it shouldn`t be like that.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
jbob, nope, he had to ring his other half to get someone else to do it.

The guide only got around to 'adapting' after he realised all the skiers had very little powder technique, and those that did have were a tad tired by the arrete. The guy who almost fell down the crevasse after his ski was the best skier and had been doing powder turns pretty well until that point. Everyone else was doing long Zs - much to the guide's annoyance (he expected everyone to turn when he said 'TURN!'). I was lying low having least difficulty - the guide wasn't too worried about me, either sending me ahead or letting me come last, which I flunked at the very last minute by submarining in the bowl. Embarassed

This was a pre-booked guide, booked weeks in advance. It seems bookings are posted on a board somewhere and guides sign up to take them. Evidently our booking must have had 'extreme pros, fast trip required' marked on it. It was as if the guide was upset he'd been defrauded, having to slow down for us given he'd paid good money to be led by a fast group. Er, Puzzled
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
crosbie, yes, not a good experience. But it seems strange for less experienced skiers to take piste skis for a big off-piste descent - even if they were expecting the gentle way down..
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
snowball, if you've ever done the VB 'easy route' you'll know it gets pretty heavily bashed. 'off-piste' when applied to the VB is one of those rare uses of 'off-piste' that doesn't necessarily indicate powder skiing can be expected.

Indeed, if you want powder when you do the VB either make sure it's snowed overnight and you get the first cable car, or request the Envers du Plan route (or other route).

Incidentally, all skiers were very experienced piste skiers, but not experienced powder skiers. So, they were at home on blacks, but not couloirs or powder slopes. If I'd said 'expert' then I might have expected people to assume the latter. But as I said earlier, I had no idea that the choice of words when booking a guide via an intermediary could be so critical.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
came across this excellent video on youtube

http://uk.youtube.com/v/ZcJBG0UX3a4

gives a real sense of the exposure...

one day Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
hehe don't be too british..i take it that was the guide
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
shoogly, Nice one... looks good.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
This is one of those subjects that comes up quite often.... it's interesting to see how peoples understandings of words like 'skiing' and 'mountain' change.....
I did the 'traditional' route a number of years ago, on skis, with a guide... and one of our party did fall into a crevasse, thro' the simple error of sliding less than a ski length away from the route we'd taken.... he was retrieved after about half an hour.
I subsequently did one of the 'walking' routes from the Italian side back to france - but that was with ropes, crampons etc.
the mountains will be there a lot longer than we will... although if you _do_ end up down a crevasse, you might be there a while as well.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Re shoogly`s, video- throwing skis around like that is not to be recommended, it one thing not being too British and pushing passed a nervous person holding up the queue, its another kebabing a client with a ski in the middle of the VB. If he had thrown a ski near me like that he would have got a very unbritish mouthful.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
jbob, I think that 'putin' was the expletive of choice.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy