Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Vallee blanche chamonix

Poster: A snowHead
Hi, going to chamonix for the first time next week. We are looking at doing the vallee blanche run. Do you need a guide to do this or are there enough people to follow? Thanks
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
paulrfair, depends- if you are very experienced on glaciers / navigation in a white out / can happily extract any of your friends from a cravasse with harness, ice screws, set up a pully system with triblocs/prussiks or have got all the kit and are happy to learn on the job as it were then yes (as well as able to assess avalanche conditions/fit and walk in crampons etc etc)

but since you need to ask the question I'm guessing the answer is no

people do follow tracks

an English snowboarder did that recently- sadly it was the last thing he did!!

try a guide Seb at www.chamonixguiding.com is fantastic

don't let my snotty answer put you off it is great......
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
paulrfair, Welcome to snowHeads. snowHead
Get a guide. You could be following someone who's equally lost, with no means of recovery.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
paulrfair, Welcome to snowheads. I would agree with edsilva, finding the way is not really the problem, its relatively cheap to have a guide and worth it for the extra safety on the glacial terrain, but do it its great.

Vallee Blanche on Saturday

snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I join the chorus: "GET A GUIDE!"

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Wed 12-03-08 20:48; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Guides are well worth it. If you have a group, maybe just go with 4 people. If less, then you can join a group for about EUR75, seb or ww.chamex.com
There are plenty of others.
Glaciers are risky business without them.
When are you going? It is due for a massive dump this week and should be great!!!!!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Get a guide.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The classic route is fairly obvious (if theres alot of people to follow on the day) - however if the weather takes a turn for the worse you could very easily get lost and blunder into a crevasse - so you should take a guide.

Crampons are handy for confidently strolling past others struggling along the arete.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Get a guide. Can't remember who we had but he was very good and took us off the beaten track (so he said wink ). Mind you I got a bit concerned when the guide fell over Shocked
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I would be especially wary in Chamonix of following tracks to go off piste. People will ski literally anything and you could easily find yourself in major trouble.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
although it looks fabulous and benign from the photos it is still dangerous - at least two people have been killed there this year (although i believe the british boarder was with a guide)

its definitely an experience worth doing - i would say it is the best skiing experience i have had. But i would certainly do it with a guide. is it really worth the risk to save 75 euro?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
take a look at this trip report from Epic Ski. The guy here actually witnessed the boarder getting lifted out Sad

http://forums.epicski.com/showthread.php?t=68102
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I've done it without a guide....but thats' after several guided trips, and lots of ski touring and off-piste experience. paulrfair, Unless you have a great deal of experince of ski touring (in which case I don't think you'd ask the question), you should book a guide.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
paulrfair, I'm going to stick my neck out on this one - you're a boarder aren't you? An Advanced/Expert (!) boarder, with maybe 6 weeks on the snow.... Shocked

....Get a guide
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
If you need to ask......................
snow report
paulrfair, sorry- welcome to snowheads

ps if you missed it - get a guide
snow report
Thanks for the advice....Get a guide it is then.
snow report
Bearing in mind that you start the route on foot, descending a steep snow ridge about 3 feet wide, it's useful to be roped to a guide (and the rest of your group for that matter....).

Without a guide, or without being roped up, one slip means that you won't stop until you reach Chamonix 9000 feet below!

A highly recommended day out and one you'll undoubtedly look back on for the rest of you life. It's THAT good!!
snow conditions
John Crawford, the top station of the Aigile de Midi is at 3,800 metres, a bit more than 9,000 ft.
latest report
David@traxvax, yeah but Cham is at 1000 m so 2800 m difference... wink
snow conditions
paulrfair, have a really great time- as said you will remember it for the rest of your life.

All guides are equal- but some are more equal than others!!
snow report
John Crawford wrote:
one you'll undoubtedly look back on for the rest of you life.

That's true--for me! ..and the guide for our group was our "guardian angel". He took very good care of us! snowHead

(Starting the day on the narrow ledge access -the arrete--, carrying our skis, tied together with ropes and safety harness...I shall never forget either... Shocked Skullie )

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Sat 15-03-08 10:58; edited 2 times in total
snow report
Glad you're getting a guide... I was just there and it's a massive glacier with all kinds of "interesting" terrain. Instead of the Vallee Blanche, one other suggestion or option, is to take a bus from Chamonix thru the Mt Blanc tunnel and ski from the Italian side. You access the Vallee Blanche, but from the skiers right, so there are hardley any people and you'll likey get untracked powder. Ask your guide to take you to the Vallee Noire. Every bit as beautiful and dramatic, but with no calories... (err, I mean people). Don't go if the forcast is bad either. It's the views that make this so amazing!
ski holidays
Julieanne,
Quote:

Starting the day on the narrow ledge access -the arrete--, carrying our skis, tied together with ropes and safety harness...I shall never forget either... )

Yes that came as something of a shock at the start of the journey. it's worth it though.
snow report
halfhand, Sure was a shock! I thought I was OK with no fear of heights! Shocked But the arrete IS something else!... Glad I did it though! Very Happy Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Doing the Vallee Blanche tomorrow for the first time. Can't wait...lot's of powder apparantly. snowHead
snow conditions
We did the VB last year (with a guide!). One of the top days of my life - and my photo of a blue lake has been on the Snocoach website.

The bubble at the end was closed, so we had to walk all the way up from the glacier to the station, on a non-path, knackered. If nothing else it was a first-hand impression of the level the glacier has dropped in the 100 years or so since the station was built, when tourists of the time walked from the train virtually onto the glacier. What is it now? 200 ft? I'm not very good a guessing this, buts its a long way, especially when walking up.
ski holidays
We had to do that walk too ! not my favourite part of the day ! ...as for the glacier dropping ..I was reading a local history of Chamonix whilst out there and it seems that the glacier has ebbed and flowed on a 100 year or so cycle ever since the mountains were occupied , I dont think the current shrrinkage is anything more than would be expected based on these cycles and certainly not enough to prove the existence of global warming caused by man made CO2 emissions if anyone was about to start !
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Pedro_2004, I think you just started it, but I hope it ends there.
300 years ago the glacier blocked the main Chamonix valley!!! Never heard of it getting bigger - all shrinkage, but perhaps at different rates.
snow report
when i was there in 1647 there was no glacier there - just rocks and snow Very Happy
ski holidays
and no doubt you had to live in a paper bag in the middle of it and get up before you went to bed. Very Happy
snow conditions
Anyone any idea when the Vallee Blanche might open this year?
ski holidays
Peter Ross, it usually doesn't open until late Jan/early Feb but it does depend on snowfall and how well the crevasses are covered.
snow report
Peter Ross, I don't but my understanding is that there has been a lot of snow higher up - it may well "open" earlier than usual. Call a guide...
latest report
I asked BigFoot to arrange a Vallee Blanche trip for my group of 5 last year. Most of us had done it before and we all had at least 10 years of skiing under our belt, so I said we were experienced skiers so no worries about being able to do it.

Unfortunately, I think this must have ended up via Chinese whispers being translated from 'experienced' to 'expert' to 'extreme' skiers.

We weren't that fit and had expected to do the same easy route as last time and have a lunch stop. We were also all geared up for piste bashing, not deep powder. Our guide was always in a hurry, spoke little to us, and after chivvying us across the lower arrete (despite one or two of us losing our footing a few times), and not letting us get our breath back, took us down the Envers du Plan route.

Shocked

It took a while before our addled brains recognised that we were not taking the easy route. Apparently the guide had understood we were extreme skiers intending to beat our personal record for the fastest EnversDuPlan descent and had only allowed 2-3 hours for his time, tops - in fact he had only taken our booking on the understanding we were olympic powder hounds intending to race him to the bottom - he was picking up one of his kids from school early afternoon and couldn't be late anyway. So, too late, we were committed. Some very unhappy bunnies... Evil or Very Mad

Deep powder presented considerable difficulty to 4 piste bashing skiers who'd not recently practised powder skiing (veritable ducks out of water). As for myself, I had recently been snowboarding a lot of powder in Jackson Hole, so was generally ok, but had brought my piste/carving board which I submarined in a powder pond (too used to my powder board, so didn't lean back enough) - I had to take both hardbooted feet out to make any amount of progress - one of those 'never do this' decisions which nevertheless had to be done. One chap after a tumble lost a ski that almost slid down a crevasse like a stick down a whirlpool, but fortunately got lodged despite disappearing from view (rescued by our intrepid if peeved guide). Everyone had their share of throwing their toys out of the pram, spitting out their dummies, and generally trying to reconcile the excellent views with the 'nightmare from hell' of an impromptu powder skiing lesson on which one's life depended. Several times people simply wanted to give up and get a snowmobile ride back - there are no snowmobiles - you ski down or you get hypothermia. Skullie

Suffice it to say it took far longer than any of us, let alone the guide, had expected. We eventually got out of the powder and back to the easy route's final flat road (a thigh burner to nicely round things off - if you stop sliding, you walk). No time for lunch.

Naturally, our guide felt we were the ones at fault who had exagerrated our competence, if not lied, and caused him immense inconvenience - which he wasn't shy of communicating to other guides he met and chatted to on the way down.

Not the best experience, but one we look back on and think "Thank heck we all managed to get down".

And that's the short version of the story. rolling eyes
latest report
if someone turns up wanting to do the VB describing themselves as "experienced" I would be somewhat bemused if 30degree powderfields turned out to be a major inconvenience Confused
ski holidays
Arno, bear in mind I was simply trying to convince the BigFoot person on the other end of the phone that we were ABLE to do the Vallee Blanche. If I had known that the words I used would dictate the difficulty of the route taken, and the speed we would be doing it in, then I would have been far more precise to say the least. I had simply expected that we would end up having a guide for the day and could go at our own pace. When we were chivvied on after the arrete (with oxygen starved brains) we assumed it was to make good time so that we could have a more leisurely lunch stop.
latest report
crosbie, sounds like awful communication/misunderstanding.
ski holidays
Christopher, yup, indeed. And a lesson to those doing the VB.

Make sure your guide understands precisely what sort of day (route, pace, difficulty, exertion, stops) you're expecting BEFORE YOU JOIN THE QUEUE FOR THE CABLE CAR!

If the guide says "Allez Vite! We must get this car!". Ignore him. You must communicate first. Even if you miss your ride up. Once you hit that queue, you're at the mercy of your guide, and if they have the wrong idea about what you want from him, you may be regretting it at the bottom of a crevasse (if you're lucky enough to still have a working brain).

But, why can't you sort all that out once you get to the top?
1) Less oxygen, more excitement, anticipation, not quite so able to think with as much clarity as on the ground
2) Expectation that guide will be asking group their preferences at a suitable moment - if anyone's actually considered a choice might be available
3) Always thinking there'll be a better opportunity to chat about things
4) Group gets split up between upper cable car rides - might as well wait until group's together
5) If the guide's in a hurry, there'll never be any opportunity anyway
6) Too busy putting harnesses on, learning about transceivers, etc.
7) Too shagged after arrete to confirm one's assumptions about the route
Cool Not only is the top way too flipping late, the queue at the bottom is too late - the rollercoaster starts there.
snow report
We had an old guy with us when we did it who would turn and fall. THE ENTIRE WAY DOWN THE MOUNTAIN. The guy was a liability. He even took his ski off in the glacier area for which the guide got very angry and repeatedly shouted at him to put his f-ing ski back on due to the risk!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy