Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

chamonix, a cautionary tale

Poster: A snowHead
red 27 wrote:
JDC, You did a lot of walking... were the lifts broken?

Made the runs all the more sweet Very Happy
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
red 27 wrote:
richmond, Verbier would suit you well I'd say... The skiing would be perfect for the group you describe. No buses needed, and a lively, pretty, atmospheric village.

You have doubts? Mosha does, although he doesn't detail them...

I was aksing about Chamonix, because there were lots of Chamonix fans on this thread, then someone raised Verbier, whcih I hadn't particularly thought about. I wasn't able to take full advantage of the skiing in Verbier when I was there becasue I was even more crap then that I am now (I do remember skiing a horrendous looking mogul field off the top of a ridiculously high cable car). I didn't much care for the town, but that was probably nearly 20 years ago, and I didn't see that much of it. I'm all in favour of going again, but there are so many other places as well.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
richmond, indeed... just a thought... snowHead
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
red 27 wrote:
You have doubts? Mosha does, although he doesn't detail them...

Not really doubts, so long as you're on the snow it doesn't matter too much where you are. But Chamonix and Verbier both seem geared to provide good lift (and non-lift) serviced off-piste runs. If you don't ski these areas then you would probably have MORE fun in a resort with a greater number of pistes.

Sort of like having a sports car for the daily commute, still fun - but somehow missing the point of owning one.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Mosha Marc, true, although as I said, from my memory of Verbier, the OL and I would probably be happy, and the kids would be like pigs in shit. Might even encourage me to to do a bit more off piste.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
richmond, parfait!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
red 27, thanks, don't mind if I do.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
singer, the buses are part of the vibe- if you don't like them you can a) no go again or b) get a taxi or even c) hitch

re beer ??

re women- get married - take the wife and kids it's great

re skiing - try some other resorts and go back- get some lessons hire a guide - do the Valle Blanche and take a camera
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
edsilva, he probably is married, that's why he was angry about the lack of women in a ski resort.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:
he probably is married

well for whatever reason, he's obviously got better things to do than hang around here getting moaned at...
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
pam w, Confused Puzzled rolling eyes Razz NehNeh Little Angel
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
parlor, I confess I was the first to moan. I've seen lots of criticism of Chamonix in my time (done some of it) but "boring"?? I've been skiing in a small French resort nobody's heard of for the last five seasons. Not bored yet.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
parlor wrote:
No response from singer... ??? Puzzled Puzzled Puzzled

Yes, this board does have a high % of single figure posters, it's a shame.

In general many people don't do enough research on the resort they are visiting to see if it is suitable for them. I agree that it is a bit of a pain in the neck to do multiple hills during the day if you are just a piste skier, I find the lift queues more of a problem than the actual bus rides.

I am still dying to get out to Chamonix and explore the randonee potential .... oooh snow .... oooh Easter weekend .... oooh temptation .... er bank account!

Great pics guys in this thread
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We're sneaking out for a quick few days on Tuesday Very Happy

I'm still curious about why people think Chamonix isn't a good place for a family with older children who are confident skiers? I'd really like to know...
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

Yes, this board does have a high % of single figure posters, it's a shame

Why is it a "shame"? Not everybody has all day to post on a ski board!

I gather lots of people come here to ask a few question then go off to ski. Unless they're very interested in skiing and ski lots, all these talk of equipment and technique aren't much interest to the casual/occasional skiers.

Then, there're those who don't know much but thought they were expert. They got laught out of here within a few posts. Is that a shame for the board?
snow report
I'd say no. There are loads of resorts with better piste skiing - and more convenient. The good skiers (ie the kids in this case) would want to ski Argentierre most of the time, and hire a guide to do the off piste - which is the main point of Chamonix. The Flegere side, being south facing, the off piste goes bad fairly quickly. Usually these days you can't ski back to the town because the snow runs out.
snow report
'Yes, this board does have a high % of single figure posters, it's a shame' perhaps its because of the vitriole that is poured onto people who voice a different opinion.
i havent been on here for a while as i have a job and other responsibilites, i didnt bother researching as someone said 'i have a space to chamonix next year, do you want it' and i am not cheap, but this was my 3rd of 4 trips this year, then have 3 summer holidays booked and i try not to be massively extravagent.
i dont know why you are all taking it so personally, its not like any of you built the resort, you've been there and enjoyed it, i've been there and didnt massively.
snow conditions
singer, I know people that did build it. Sham Sucks mate. Infact i built a Chalet/Cabin in Les Tignes.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Wed 12-03-08 23:31; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
firebug, I was one of the people who suggested that. It seemed that the different members of the family would want to ski different areas. If I was there when my kids were teenagers they'd have wanted to be off up the Grand Montets, and I'd have preferred to be somewhere like Les Houches. With kids at that sort of stage you need to be able to do a few convivial runs together, then let them do their own thing for a bit, maybe with a lunchtime rendezvous at a place easy for everyone to reach. You don't really want them off all day, getting up to goodness knows what hairy stuff. If you go on holiday as a family you don't need to ski together every minute, but you do probably want to be within the same broad area and keep in touch.

But I don't know the place well - I've only skied in Chamonix for about 10 days in all, and perhaps I'm wrong. It would no doubt suit families where everyone had the same skills and liked skiing the same runs.
snow report
pam w, no, I think you're bang on - that's exactly what I was getting at when mentioning logistics in my post.
snow conditions
pam w, I agree, when we were there with family, we all stayed in the same area each day, it's definitely the best way to do it. That's what we usually do anyway, I don't generally ride more than one area per day. Thanks Smile , it's good to know where people see problems so we can give useful pointers to visitors.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy