Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

another vote for helmets

Poster: A snowHead
wore one for the first time last week (just back from Soll) - had convinced myself it would be uncomfortable but not - forgot it was on until I was taken out by 2 beginners who simultaneously crashed into me and a 3rd then skied into my head - ie helmet. I'm still only a low intermediate so wasnt angry with them but would have been with myself if I had opted for no helmet as it didnt look cool- as some of my group did. I can still feel that ski approaching!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
sally s, Good news to hear there was no lasting damage.

I wear a helmet, its my choice. I don't feel more confident wearing one but I did have a big fall this year in flat light and without a helmet I am sure I would have fractured my skull.

Each to their own but I like my helmet.Toofy Grin Embarassed
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
For fans of helmet threads:

Poll
Helmets or not
Please, please wear a helmet

[edit] Added following an appeal case:

'Safety Optional' --- Mad or What??

Enjoy.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Sun 24-02-08 17:28; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
achilles, you've forgotten 'Safety Optional' --- Mad or What??! wink
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hurtle, there is so much else in that that I thought the helmet-thread purist might feel disappointed.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Sun 24-02-08 0:28; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
achilles, wink
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Already cast my vote of YES.
Saved again in Val Thorens recently.

So much snow by the the apartment that I smacked my head on a concrete roof strut, without the lid, I would have literally been in a bloody state - it has a dent to prove it !

Also my lad (12) was nicely skiing on a blue when 3 racing Norwegians - 2 on skis, one on a board wiped him out. I missed the smash as I was struggling on my board, but the Mrs and other son said that the boarder cut up his skiing mate who then had to turn sharply and lifted my lad off the piste and smashed him into the snow. All I saw was a cloud of snow, ski's pole, bodies all over the place, my wife going mental at the skier n boarder and some non associated Norwegian skiers rushing to the scene to tend to my lad and b0llock their idiot country men.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Sarge, Aha.. We already have highlighted the need to wear steel-toed slippers in the kitchen (for fear of falling whisky bottles). Now we note the need to wear helmets when going to apartments. Very sensible indeed. I expect someone to highlight a need to wear them in bedrooms - though full-face ones with dark visors must, I think, be optional.

Sorry. Couldn't resist. I hope your lad was OK.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
sally s, Well done. Just dont do what some @rseholes do and use an ipod while skiing. Sarge, Hope your lad is ok. I imagine that the vikings were wearing helmets, (most Norwegians do, well the better skiers do anyway), maybe these numpties thought they were better than they actually are.

Anyone that feels they want or need to wear a helmet have that right. Just do not be so self righteous, it is a free world and had hoped that the nanny police can worry about other things instead, like chocolate tea pots or something equally important.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks yes, my lad was fine, but rather shaken as you'd expect.

I wear one coz I land on my head a lot coz I'm not very good. I insist the kids do, so set the example.

Each to their own on the helmet issue really, but I'll stick with mine.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hurtle wrote:
achilles, you've forgotten 'Safety Optional' --- Mad or What??! wink

OK. Following the latest string of posts there, I have decided to allow it on a 'not to be missed' basis. Now edited into the third post in this thread.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
achilles, Is the the first snowheads helmet meta-thread? if so congratulations (for twas you who made it so) Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
AxsMan, happy to help wink
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

Just do not be so self righteous

Roy Hockley. You're not self righteous???????????? Must have been someone else who said
Quote:

Just dont do what some @rseholes do and use an ipod while skiing.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
pam w, True, I do accept however that others have an opinion and defend their right. Are you a person that would dictate their views on others, surely not!!! I do not drink and drive on the road because it is not just my safety that I am responsible for, when driving I have to be considerate to others. Wearing a helmet could save your life I accept, but wearing earphones will take away one of your senses that make your skiing safer. Safe skiing Pam and hopefully you wont come accross the inconsiderate on the slopes, unfortunately they are out there.
snow report
Roy Hockley, despite being a skier who listens to music I do not believe I am a danger to others as a result (nor an @rsehole, for that matter!). Is a driver who listens to music a dangerous @rsehole? That's a pretty extreme viewpoint and could certainly, by some people at least, be seen as "self righteous". If not plain barmy. Attributing characteristics to a whole category of people (music-listeners, non-listeners,helmet-wearers, non-helmet wearers,people in one-piece suits, men in Spyder jackets, people who go to Val D'Isere,chalet staff,) is not too helpful and just gets people on their high horse.
snow report
So you dont believe that taking drugs and skiing and drinking alchohol and skiing is not in any way irresponsible? Then I would classify you as a fool, and in this respect not considerate to others on the slope. I do agree with you however that listening to music in a car and on the slope can be distracting! Now if you want to continue the debate give us your views on drunk and stoned skiers whether in Val D'Isere or not wearing seasoned one piece suits?
latest report
Quote:

So you dont believe that taking drugs and skiing and drinking alchohol and skiing is not in any way irresponsible?

Roy Hockley, sorry, you've completely lost me there. Did I say that taking drugs and skiing is not irresponsible?
snow report
Roy Hockley, I'd take a little more water with it if I were you. wink

hey guys this helmet thread is tame, come on over to this one http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=36169&start=240 if you want a REAL barny Laughing

We've got paramedics, Thuderbirds, horses, helicopters, no expense spared - its a real high production value thread Laughing The cast of ER are looking for a walk on Very Happy
snow report
I can't believe that I am actually surfing from helmet thread to helmet thread, and I'm not the only one. We're all barking. rolling eyes
ski holidays
Hurtle, Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
Hurtle, You have to admit though, that the other one has more fireworks Laughing
ski holidays
AxsMan, yup. It's this month's definitive helmet punch-up, though it had kind drifted sideways for a while.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Mon 25-02-08 0:10; edited 1 time in total
snow report
achilles, It definitely merits inclusion in your meta-helmet thread list. Cast of thousands and all that Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
AxsMan, already edited in - following an appeal from Hurtle. Cool
ski holidays
AxsMan, yep, fabulous stuff. What about impacts FROM helmets causing injuries? Where the hell did that one come from? All completely barking. Where's that head-shaking smiley?
latest report
Hurtle, was it yourself who pointed out that being hit by a helmeted head was really not much different from being hit by an unhelmeted one (from the perspective of the person being hit)?

If so good point, well made Very Happy

achilles, Yes spotted that - well done, full marks to Hurtle for seeing how relevant to the debate that thread was destined to be Laughing
snow report
Hurtle, I haven't the strength at this time of night to read all that other thread. But a friend of mine had a catastrophic knee injury caused by a helmet-wearing, over-weight, over-confident, 8 year old boy who wiped her out when she was standing on the side of a piste, picking up her 3 year-old daughter who had fallen. He hit her side on, in a full tuck, with his armour-plated head at her knee level. Shocked Many thousands of pounds worth of surgery from one of Austria's top surgeons couldn't put her together again.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
pam w, I'm sorry for your friend, but my point is that a helmet does not make a head any harder. If anything the layer of plastic and polystyrene on top of the bone is likely to soften the impact of a head hitting a body (absorbing impact is how the helmet protects the head). So if the hapless 8 year old had not been wearing a helmet chances are the injury would have been the same or worse.
snow conditions
AxsMan,
Quote:

was it yourself who pointed out that being hit by a helmeted head was really not much different from being hit by an unhelmeted one (from the perspective of the person being hit)?

It was, thank you. But, as you see, pam w has already arrived with some evidence to the contrary, though maybe that child's bare head would also have caused some damage. Really, it's a bit of a mad world on the slopes, isn't it, one doesn't expect to be disabled at knee height by a rocket-powered ankle-biter. Really sorry about your friend, btw, Pam, what a dreadful thing to happen, no joke whatsoever.
ski holidays
AxsMan, ah, interesting. (The impact absorbing point, that is. I did genuinely wonder what the answer might be.)
latest report
AxsMan, yes, maybe you're right. Certainly the outcome would have been worse for the child without a helmet. If two objects collide, with a given momentum, does a lesser impact on one of them necessarily mean a greater impact on the other? Does a helmet really not make a head any harder? Can a helmet not withstand a blow which would fracture a skull? Who knows, it's too late at night to think about it! Where's the sleepy smiley?
ski holidays
pam w, Well the type of helmet used in skiing is lightweight, plastic and filled with expanded polystyrene. Contrast this with a fibre glass motorcycle helmet that is heavy and much more rigid (although still consisting largely of polystyrene under the fibreglass.

In BOTH cases the primary function of the helmet is to absorb impact, like the crumple zone on a car, and by absorbing, reduce the force acting on the point of impact with the head.

Clearly the bike helmet is tougher and being hit by someone wearing one is going to spoil your day, but the lightweight skiing helmet is actually likely to reduce the damage done to you, because it has a larger diameter than a bare head (so spreading the impact) and contains a compressible core (the polystyrene) which will prevent some of the energy of the moving head from being transferred directly to you (it will instead deform the polystyrene.

So in short, if I had a choice between being hit by a bareheaded eight year old, or one wearing a modern skiing helmet (all other things being equal) I'd chose the helmet wearer every time.

(and then beat the cr@p out of the little bug with my ski pole Laughing )
snow report
AxsMan, Surely no need to resort to violence! I was enjoying both threads, it is great fun, having a go at some can be amusing! Keep it coming!!! Laughing
snow conditions
Roy Hockley, you're absolutely right of course, I meant to say 'and then remonstrate harshly with the young scallywag, pointing out the error of his ways' Laughing

Can't think what you mean by 'having a go' though Little Angel Laughing
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy