Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

skiing on one leg

Poster: A snowHead
Scarpa wrote:
I'm still working on these drills as well. Every time I head down an easy flattish blue I try to do gentle one leg turns for 30 secs...

Out of curiosity, how many can you fit into 30 seconds on an easy flattish blue? 6 inside 6 outside (with a bit of speed that is) ?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
i havnt read anything from the above but feel your shin on the front of the boot, and pole plant, it's all you need.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Rossfra8, Pole plant cheating
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

Pole plant cheating

Absolutely right! I have felt myself putting pressure on the pole to aid my balance, more than once. And when I, and the pole, are in motion that can't possibly be right. Only genuine one-legged skiers (respect, I did a course where there was a brilliant one-legged instructor!) can be allowed to use their poles!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Just had a quick read through these posts - this is one of Warren Smith's favourite drills for, ironically, making people into a more two footed skier. It really helps, you could see the improvement in peoples' skiing after a session of doing it. One point, it is much more beneficial to actually take one ski off, I don't know if that's what people are doing but when we do this with Warren he gets us to leave a ski at the top of the hill and just ski around with one. The advantage here is that you are not dangling the other ski around which adversely affects your balance. I know the javelin turn is meant to overcome this, but in my experience it's far better just to use one ski. Gets the quads warmed up as well, especially if you have to use a drag lift as we did in NZ.
Should you want a humbling experience watch the great man himself ski through moguls on one ski. B*stard.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

The advantage here is that you are not dangling the other ski around which adversely affects your balance.

Ah yes, but there's nothing so adversely affects my balance as skiing along on one ski, then the skiless boot drops onto the snow, then you go ar*e over tit. Was interested to see, though, that scooting along on one ski, on the flat, is one of the beginner drills on the SCGB website. It's used a lot in cross country training, too (though not at the low level I did it - it's heaps more difficult on cross country skis).

Maybe, when I have a beginner who I will be skiing with a lot, w/b 8 March, we might both try scooting round on one ski, together. I did think, when my binding broke at the top of a mountain a few weeks ago, that it would be something worth practising. Another day...
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
pam w wrote:
Quote:

The advantage here is that you are not dangling the other ski around which adversely affects your balance.

Was interested to see, though, that scooting along on one ski, on the flat, is one of the beginner drills on the SCGB website.

Ironic, isn't it Smile

Scooting on 1 ski is excersize number 1 in the swiss kids snowleague... and we do it with adults too...
The skiing on 1 ski is something for the black league the kids may not get to until years later Wink (if at all, most stop lessons somewhere at the red league level)
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

Ah yes, but there's nothing so adversely affects my balance as skiing along on one ski, then the skiless boot drops onto the snow, then you go ar*e over tit.

Quite. Need to overcome that initial desire to put the non-ski boot down for 'balance' which of course wheels you round and sends you a over t. I find it easier to lift the non-ski boot up and rest it against the skiing boot.

Demo clip of Mr Smith skiing on one leg http://www.warrensmith-skiacademy.com/online-tips/online-tips_Carving_One-Legged-Skiing.htm
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
BGA, you've convinced me. Definitely going to try it.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
BGA, that is awesome, he makes it look so easy !
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
phil625sxc, It won't be easy - I tell you these experts make everything look easy - my instructor demonstrates lifting the inside on the turn ski to help with parallel turn - 'see' he says 'just like that!' 'just like that - my @r5e!!' 'cos that's what I'm liable to end up on!!

Seriously though how similar is this single ski stuff to the issues that the monoskier has to overcome?
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

Seriously though how similar is this single ski stuff to the issues that the monoskier has to overcome?

You don't have to cope with people taking the p*ss out of you all the time for one thing!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
BGA, good link,thanks. He seems to be "dapping" down his foot as he changes direction - just momentarily. Is that the recommended way?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Megamum, yes, I already know it's not easy - see my original post !

Lifting the inside ski, or skiing on the inside edge of one ski I'm OK with, as this feels "right"...I'm sure with a little bit of practice you'll be able to lift the inside ski in a turn as all or most of your weight will on the other one - it's the turning on the outside edge of one ski only that baffled me - it just felt so "wrong" and I could not "get it" in the short amount of time I gave it a go...hence my plea for help/advice from all the clever snowHead 's ! Toofy Grin
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
pam w, phil625sxc, That's not one ski skiing, this is:
http://youtube.com/v/__Faa87IQhk
snow conditions
phil625sxc wrote:
it just felt so "wrong" and I could not "get it" in the short amount of time I gave it a go...

That's essentially the import of my question to Scarpa above.

I think it's very easy to rush things through, put pressure on the outside edge, then either

quickly retreat from that -out-of-balance- situation or

attempt to muscle the ski through a motion that leaves a somewhat curved track on the snow.

The problem is neither allows one to achieve that sense of turning balance one has built on the inside edge.

In 30 seconds, with quite moderate speed, on a thin-waist ski with sidecut corresponding to 12-16m published radius, I would really only expect 5-6 outside edge turns that are, in fact, balanced on the edge and not using body effort/pole antics/sideways muscling.
snow report
Spyderman, eek ! Shocked now that's impressive !! snowHead

I thought he was going to save/recover the fall at the end as well...he got pretty close.
latest report
comprex wrote:
Scarpa wrote:
I'm still working on these drills as well. Every time I head down an easy flattish blue I try to do gentle one leg turns for 30 secs...

Out of curiosity, how many can you fit into 30 seconds on an easy flattish blue? 6 inside 6 outside (with a bit of speed that is) ?

Oh no... not up to that many yet. Up to about 2 - 3 each edge hehehe. In reality they are more of a gentle turn then a bit of a stright line as I attempt to get over to the other edge. And my turns have a radius of approx 96m Laughing I will carry on practicing though.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Fri 22-02-08 20:28; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Frosty the Snowman, If your not pole planting often you are blocking the body from doing other things and therefore skiing incorrectly. It's like riding a bike and saying you are not alowed to use handle bars?
latest report
just back from Villars where French national youth ski team were training. Most of them were doing one ski only downhill and i mean they only had one ski on. Of course we had to give it a go and got a far as the length of one ski. These guys were hurtling down the mountain. Best one was a guy giving a piggy back to another racer whilst wearing one ski.
latest report
garywilk, did you buckle your boots tighter and try again?
ski holidays
comprex, no headed straight for the bar
latest report
Quote:
If your not pole planting often you are blocking the body from doing other things and therefore skiing incorrectly

This is a rather sweeping statement, Rossfra8. I have seen local ski clubs doing slalom drills with both sticks held behind their necks, arms hanging over them. They looked to me like they were skiing superbly well. If that was "incorrect" it's the sort of incorrect skiing I'd like to be able to do.

Ha! We had a go at that one ski drill this morning - as in Warren Miller's video. With just one ski on. Fairly useless and unimpressive, but I will keep practicing. Just walking up the slope a tiny way, though; I am not yet ready to embark on a drag lift with only one ski on.
latest report
Did anybody think to ask Heather Mills how it's done Puzzled
snow report
One legged skiing really helped me with my overall skiing. I always had a lasy or slower inside leg on my left hand turn. I got one of my biggest breakthrough's this season in December on a Warren Smith course. He got me working on one legged skiing specifically on my weaker leg. Took a while and sweated a fair bit but it sorted my dodgy inside leg on my left turn.

Personally, I think one of the most difficult things about one legged skiing is keeping on top of the ski and not sitting back. A lot of my mistakes came from flexing just at the knee and putting my weight back. I really had to focus on maintaining flexibility in my ankle joint and not just flexing my knee, but both ankles and knees together. It worked eventually. Try and avoid having to take poma lifts on one ski. A chair lift is better although getting off is interesting...

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Mon 24-03-08 11:22; edited 1 time in total
latest report
If you can't get through on that link about the podcasts just go to this main page http://www.warrensmith-skiacademy.com/eshop/e-shop_podcasts.htm
snow report
BGA wrote:
Personally, I think one of the most difficult things about one legged skiing is keeping on top of the ski and not sitting back. A lot of my mistakes came from flexing just at the knee and putting my weight back. I really had to focus on maintaining flexibility in my ankle joint and not just flexing my knee, but both ankles and knees together. ...

That is why good coaches work on fore/aft/lateral as well as just lateral balance drills Razz
ski holidays
little tiger, Where have you been!!? It's been ages since I've seen your name in the posts! Have you been off having fun somewhere?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Megamum, I'm busy skiing in Colorado with Fastman and helping him with production of a series of ski training DVD's... Very Happy
snow report
little tiger, I guess that more than qualifies as fun!! Toofy Grin
snow report
little tiger, ah, look forward to it then. Dryland included?
snow conditions
Megamum, Three months in Colorado skiing, snowshoeing, filming skiing etc... Lots of fun! Twisted Evil

comprex, he's starting with first creating the on snow training DVD's. There are a few off ski practice drills contained within that, but strictly dryland preseason training DVD's will follow later.
snow report
little tiger, Ski training DVD's? When will i be able to rip them off the Torrent sites? Cool
ski holidays
little tiger, fantastic news! Please keep me posted!!! Very Happy
latest report
little tiger, yes please on updates such as release dates, titles etc. Thanks Very Happy Sounds like it's been a blast, probably hard work but what an experience.
ski holidays
slikedges, minx, will do.... This will be a series of DVD's dealing with the many skill areas in the sport.... We hope the first four will be ready before the start of the season... The aim is to have Basic Balance, Basic Edging, Advanced Balance, and Advanced Edging finished for the start of the next season...

It takes a long time to film the many clips needed for each of the many exercises.... Busy Tiger! Wink
snow conditions
little tiger, well done, I'm sure you and Fastman will do a great job and look forward to seeing the results Very Happy
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy