Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

skiing on one leg

Poster: A snowHead
I recently gave this a go as I had a few hours just on the one slope, and from what I've heard/read it's a really good drill for improving balance and technique in general...
my question - how the hell do you do it ?? Shocked
It seemed to be impossible - I could easily turn left whilst on the right leg only, and vice versa but when I tried to turn that same leg the "wrong" way, it just wouldn't, with fairly comical results... Laughing
Is there a knack to it, or do I just have to be a whole heap better skier to do it properly ?
Cheers all.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Get your hip outside the stance leg knee to turn the other way.

If you have a look at the Martin Heckleman video posted in the Skating on Flats thread, he never manages(never intends to?) to get his weight far over enough to the outside to engage the outside edges, and remains on the bases and inside edges throughout. Which is why he resorts to the pole stabbing contortions.

As you're attempting this, look down at your stance ski. Is it directly under your chin and navel?

If it's outside of both, balanced edging will require amazing feats of bowlegged athleticism.

If it's outside of your navel but not the chin, you're probably dropping that shoulder too far, or attempting to steer by turning towards the turn with both shoulders.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Tue 19-02-08 22:06; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
phil625sxc, I've been working on this for ages. It is a difficult exercise - people who think they ski well can often not do it, though those that really CAN ski well can do it almost instantly, once it's suggested to them. I can do it OK for a few turns on a gentle slope - after loads of practice! Better on my left foot than my right. Yes, it's difficult because you need to use your body to get the weight over onto the "wrong" edge and it feels precarious. It is precarious, at my stage; one quite often topples over.

Best start gradually. Can you traverse on the uphill ski? Get onto that ski earlier in the turn, and ride it through the turn - there's a very good exercise called a "javelin turn" which is sure to be described here somewhere by someone more expert than I.

Try to avoid doing what I started doing, which was having my weight too far back - with the TIP of the lifted ski up. V bad habit, as pointed out by instructor, and one which I am now having to unlearn.

You don't say how much skiing you have done. Can you turn on the "right" (ie outside) ski with your weight correctly positioned over your foot? Check this by lifting just the tail of the inside ski? Not much point starting one footed skiing till you've got that nailed.

A good exercise, to use up otherwise boring time on button lifts, is to practice going up on one leg. Lift the tail of the other ski only. Until you can do that fairly well you're not likely to be able to do the "one leg skiing" thing.

Someone better qualified than I will probably be along shortly to tell you that I've got it all wrong - I'm quite ready to believe them.

It's a really good way of using up some time on an easy slope, maybe keeping a less experienced skier company. Skiing backwards is another.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
PS good exercise for a boot fit check.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I find this really tough on my 'strong' leg, but a bit easier on my 'weak' leg for reasons I can't quite understand. I find it easier to do with a bit of speed - if you are skiing too slow it makes balancing when you are turning on your little-toe edge very difficult. Skiing on one leg means you have to move your centre of mass/gravity a bit further across the skis when you are on the little-toe edge than you are used to (which is why it's a great drill). You need to have the confidence to project your hips right across the skis to get onto the 'wrong' edge.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
comprex wrote:
PS good exercise for a boot fit check.

I think I've found it a bit easier since having my alignment adjusted.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
rob@rar, yep, I remember I used to muscle the ski forward and back under my centre when changing edges, by almost a foot on my 'strong side', the boots were so off.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

I find this really tough on my 'strong' leg, but a bit easier on my 'weak' leg for reasons I can't quite understand.

me too. Interesting what comprex said about boot fit and alignment. Maybe it's easier for people who have a stronger right leg, and therefore stronger left turn, to still have a stronger left turn on one foot. Which will then be the left, ie "weaker" foot. I also find it much easier to balance on my left leg going up a button lift, as it happens. Same mystery mechanism at work, I suppose.

I find the exercise easier on some skis than others, too. I've been promising myself to nail it each season for the last three years.... still not succeeded though. My son smashed a ski at the top of the Grand Motte in Tignes last year and skied all the way back to Val D'Isere on one. He did swap legs every now and then and had sore legs for the following few days..... He said the bumps were pretty difficult and he did get his cousin to carry the knackered ski.

For me, being able to ski on one leg for more than a couple of wobbly and very gradual turns on an easy slope (which is all I can do) is one of the key marks of a really good skier. I have a secret wish (well, not very secret any more snowHead ) to have mastered this by the time I'm 70, and impress the hell out of everyone.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I tried this a few times as an exercise last week in whistler. Its a bit unnatural, but i found it was just a case of tilting the ski in the direction you wanted to turn. you want to go left, lean the ski to the left, you want to go right, tilt the ski onto the right edge. You shift the single ski underneath you so that its closer to the centreline of you body with your hip outside of it and then just lean.

I guess its easier if you learnt to ski in the french style with your skis tight together.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
pam w wrote:
I find the exercise easier on some skis than others, too.

Me too. Not too difficult on my 65mm wide slalom skis, very difficult on my 90mm all mountain skis.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
comprex, thanks for the advice, I'll check that next time and have a look at that video. Should upper body movement come into it at all ?
pam w, I think I'm a lower intermediate - I skied 3-4 weeks as a kid, had a 20 odd year break and have rediscovered it with a passion last season, and so will be going on my 4th week since then next month. Very Happy Happy on reds and can get down blacks, (in a fashion) Laughing I have a lesson booked for the next trip, as up until now I have just really enjoyed getting back into skiing myself.
I can turn on one leg the "normal" way, but haven't tried traversing on the uphill ski - I would think I could...but one never knows !
I'm not familiar with the javelin turn but will look into that. I can do the one legged thing on button lifts ok, and on the same occasion I also tried a bit of going backwards, which was pretty easy (compared to the one legged business) Puzzled - thanks for the tips !
rob@rar, I was wondering about the speed, and type of turns - I was trying quite slow, large raduis turns, and afterwards I thought that maybe it would be easier a bit quicker with smaller turns down the fall line of a gentle slope. I'll give it a go next time anyway.
Thanks for the advice snowHead 's
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Afaik the "javelin" turn is designed to develop edging skill on the inside edge of the outside ski, and should not pose many problems for most folk. The hard bit is then getting on to the outside edge to turn the other way, and I'm not sure that javelin turns will help with that Puzzled
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
From Warren Witherell's "The Athletic Skier" . This boy's not bad wink

latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

I'm not sure that javelin turns will help with that

I don't think the turn part would, but getting up onto that top ski earlier in the turn is a good start. phil625sxc, if you can go backwards up button lifts (something I've never had the nerve to try) turning on the "wrong" leg ought to be a cinch!
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
As soon as possible. Because it's one of the things I do to practise one-legged skiing, I then stay on that one, maybe heading back up the hill a bit, to get the feel of steering on that outside edge. It's only on an easy slope, and I'm only mucking around (it's a slope I take nervous visitors to, as it has an easy short button lift and a nice even gradient (gentle blue) and good for such things).

Some years ago, I found that when I started trying to make better turns the deliberate step onto that uphill ski was a useful thing to focus on. It felt unnatural, as did traversing on the upper ski (same thing) but really helped me get the weight shift earlier in the turn, instead of on the corner.

It's probably very unkosher.... and in normal skiing I don't step up onto the top ski, I just let the bottom one go. But initially I found that very difficult, and it was a useful move for me. But don't slalom skiers sometimes step up onto the uphill ski (scissors?). I'm sure I read that somewhere.

It's actually rather like that skating step we were talking about elsewhere, I suppose. Again, being able to stay on one ski is key.

Sorry, this is very untechnical. Embarassed
ski holidays
Ahem Embarassed The post above pam w's has inexplicably vanished rolling eyes What I asked was "At what point in your javelin turn do you transfer onto the top ski?" Sorry about that.
latest report
As for the top ski skiing, I think doing Charlestons is a good way to get into skiing on the "wrong" edge, I'm just not convinced that I understand the "javelin" part. As far as I understand it the top ski is the one that is lifted and "javelined" across the downhill ski, which is the one you are edging and standing on? Still, if it works for you no problem Toofy Grin

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Wed 20-02-08 13:42; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
As I start to attack the turn (yes really!!) I noticed that I was practically standing on the outside ski, it seemed to me that it wouldn't have been much effort to have stayed there and done some distance on it. Not that I did so though Laughing
snow conditions
pam w, Laughing sorry, didn't explain that one very well - and not something I would like to try, for the sake of the family jewels if nothing else ! Shocked Laughing
ski holidays
Megamum, maybe you're a natural "Charlestoner" Laughing We'll find out at the EoSB wink
snow report
Yoda, Watching our ski lessons group attempt charlestons at the EoSB 06 would have had everyone here rolling in the isles.
snow conditions
Frosty the Snowman Laughing Laughing Clearly time for the sequel then Toofy Grin
latest report
Yoda, Very Happy This year, with a bit practice, I hope to attain the charleston proficiencey level of "Complete Beginner" Embarassed
snow conditions
Quote:

As far as I understand it the top ski is the one that is lifted and "javelined" across the downhill ski

The way I do it (which might be wrong...) when first lifted and javelined it is the downhill ski, so the uphill ski is ridden right round the turn, becoming the bottom ski. And then lifted and javelined. So you're on one leg the whole time, through 180 degrees, with just a quick crossover.

What's a "Charlestone"? Does this warrant another illustration from Yoda's splendid video library?
latest report
Quote:

As for the top ski skiing, I think doing Charlestons is a good way to get into skiing on the "wrong" edge

Yoda, can you explain this drill, I couldn't find it in the glossary.
ta
snow conditions
phil625sxc, basically just turn on the uphill (outside) edge of the top ski with the lower ski off the ground, then step onto the old lower ski to do the same thing the other way. Give me a few minutes - I should have video of Heckelman doing them somewhere Laughing
ski holidays
pam w, ah just spotted your post as well. That's quite an advanced javelin turn, good on you wink video coming up.
snow conditions
Righto here we are. Sorry about the rough-and-ready editing rolling eyes
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Yoda, woooo, excellent !
thanks for that, I'll give it a shot next time. Toofy Grin
latest report
[/quote]
Yoda, can you explain this drill, I couldn't find it in the glossary.
ta[/quote]

I will try to stick in a description......
snow report
skimottaret, thank you young master Smile
ski holidays
Yoda, no problemo I owe you as every time you put up a martin hecklemen video i crack up laughing... dont know why but his accent and the way he demos just looks so goofy....
ski holidays
....and his skis are about twice as long as he is Laughing
snow report
Ah, no........I don't Charleston. When I put the weight on the ski it's on the outside edge of the bend not the inside. Mind you this year when I went parallel across the mountain the instructor did get me to lift the uphill ski from the heel end of the ski several times - he said it was good for showing me when my weight was right and otherwise - if my weight was too far behind I couldn't do it. I then had to transfer the lift to the other ski as I went round the bend so the weight was back on the outside edge of the turn.
snow conditions
Megamum, sorry, I think I misread your post. I thought you meant you stood on the uphill ski and felt like going that way for eternity... Embarassed (as you would of course if you stood on the downhill ski instead/as well, until you changed the edge wink
latest report
Quote:

Mind you this year when I went parallel across the mountain the instructor did get me to lift the uphill ski from the heel end of the ski several times - he said it was good for showing me when my weight was right and otherwise - if my weight was too far behind I couldn't do it. I then had to transfer the lift to the other ski as I went round the bend so the weight was back on the outside edge of the turn.

Megamum's instructor was getting her to do what I was originally talking about - until you can do that drill reliably there's not much point trying to Charleston, or do any other kind of "wrong leg" turning.

The Charleston video is great. I'm not sure about that waving around of the other tip in the air though. That's what easiski told me off for....I was turning on the "wrong" ski OK, but my weight was too far back. So I have started again, just trying to lift the back of the outside ski. Which I am finding a lot more difficult - it requires a more subtle "leaning" movement.
snow conditions
Trying to go in a dead straight line on one ski teaches you a bit about subtle edge and balance control as well .... wink

*Disclaimer* - just because I post a few Heckelman clips doesn't mean I necessarily agree with everthing he says Toofy Grin
latest report
pam w, I don't know about qualifying for the term 'doing it reliably', but I do think I made quite a creditable stab at it which I'm quite pleased about Smile
snow report
Megamum, yep, it's well worth doing - sounds as though you're making rapid progress. snowHead
latest report
I'm still working on these drills as well. Every time I head down an easy flattish blue I try to do gentle one leg turns for 30 secs then switch... it's a slow learning process but a little extra speed does seem to help.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy