Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How important are ski poles?

Poster: A snowHead
I'd take a stab at him also having snowshoes on his pack?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Without wishing to start WW3, this is quite representative/typical of the recent frustrations of the pros in BzK.

For those that insist pole plants are not used in modern racing, please watch the following video carefully. In particular, at the amount of bend in the pole at 2:08 - which demonstrates a solid oblique plant, not touch. In every other turn in this video, a pole plant is used, and quite often, a double pole plant.

http://uk.youtube.com/v/JGQ9egMTW9s
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
veeeight, Love it. In case anyone's in any doubt, there are more than one skier in the sequence! Laughing
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
veeeight, easiski, I don't understand the point that's being made here. Is it that pole plants are used in modern racing, but not necessarily on every turn? (How fantastic to make a composite film like that, btw, it's terrific in itself, especially with the background music!)
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Chris Bish wrote:
For what it is worth, I saw a boarder with poles on Friday. Can't explain it. He was using them to get along a flat bit.

snowHead
A couple of times I've skied with a boarder for a day and lent him my poles on flats while I skated. Perhaps what happened there? Or were they telescopic?

Because, as I said, my most important use of poles is for short turns on steep slopes, I have slightly longer poles than are generally recommended - otherwise I'd be having to reach down the slope to do a pole plant.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
So which of the following is true:

1) Snowboarders don't need poles to turn so skiers don't need them either
2) Snowboarders would benefit from using poles for timing their turns
3) Skiing turns and snowboarding turns have nothing to do with each other.

Personally having gone from skiing to boarding and back again I do think that a snowboard turn is basically the same as a ski turn with respect to the outside ski whether skidded or carved.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I think it is different for skiers on bumps and steeps (the time you most need poles). Though the method is different for the two circumstances, the skier basically has to keep the upper body fairly still and facing down the slope (as for all ski turns before carving changed the style).
Of course someone may tell me I'm out of date.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
nessy, 3 is the closest, although not quite true.

The way in which the two turn is somewhat different, but what makes the most difference ios the way they will generally be facing, relative to te direction of travel.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks for the advice.

Don't think I'm going to be doing much on steeps and bumps - far too scary.

Will see what the insurance company says - if they won't cover me for the holiday, then it's fairly immaterial...

I suppose the thing that prompted the question was my memory of lessons which involved carrying poles in various interesting ways, without using them for anything.

Ta

R
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
veeeight, thanks for the link. Great footage which shows how steep and demanding some of the WC slalom courses are.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
nessy wrote:
So which of the following is true:

1) Snowboarders don't need poles to turn so skiers don't need them either
2) Snowboarders would benefit from using poles for timing their turns
3) Skiing turns and snowboarding turns have nothing to do with each other.

Personally having gone from skiing to boarding and back again I do think that a snowboard turn is basically the same as a ski turn with respect to the outside ski whether skidded or carved.

How many snowboarder do bumps? (which it the area all agree skier need poles)
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
OK, rob@rar and David Goldsmith, I surrender. Many of the women slalom racers are planting on many turns. I could try to argue that they were flicks that happened to touch or "kisses" but I won't. If they touch at a point, rather than being dragged, that's a plant.
I stand by the observation on GS though and I don't think you'll see a plant on Super G or DH unless it's a drastic recovery technique.

I think that there's a bit of chicken and egg about plants done by good skiers. Beginners are taught to pole plant because, I think, reaching to plant makes them flatten the skis, move pressure to what will be the outside ski of the coming turn and move their centre of gravity into the coming turn. The experienced skier will make the these changes to their body with or without the plant (or flick) but these action also make the pole tip more likely to hit the snow.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Ull, I think you hit the nail on the head. Anyway I don't see many recreational skiers doing those kind of slalom turns.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
nessy wrote:
... I don't see many recreational skiers doing those kind of slalom turns.

Probably because they don't plant their poles well enough Wink
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
When I lost a pole under a chairlift that went through a narrow mogully clearing in a forest and had to return to look for it, I rapidly realised that I only THOUGHT my balance was good - the truth was that leaning on poles to avoid out-of-balance recoveries made me ski much more fluidly.
latest report
[quote="Ull"] They are also useful to block people trying to push past in lift queues!
quote]

Laughing I was skiing with my Dad once in Gemany when I was about 14. He was fighting for queue supremacy right the way down, even pushing me over at one stage. This made my Dad furious (and he's not the most tolerant at the best of times). They continued to fight and we managed to get in front - but at the last minute the other guy did one last massive push and got in front! He ran onto the single chairlift in front sticking his fingers up at my Dad who promptly lurched forward and inserted his pole into the back of one of his bindings! Off popped the ski carrying german bloke helplessly up with his single ski. It was the best and most hilarious use of poles I've ever experienced - everyone in the queue was in fits!
snow conditions
horizon, for the brief period of time your pole is planted you momentarily increase the size of your Base Of Support. That makes recoveries back into balance much easier.
ski holidays
PaulClark wrote:
They're essential for towing tired children along the flat bits Very Happy

And learner snowboarders wink
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy