Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

It's NOT ****ing CourchevAl!!

Poster: A snowHead
holidayloverxx, The 'n' even in Rahnss is a very, very, very subtle 'm'. So subtle you can't tell if it's an 'n' or an 'm' - well, maybe the French can. I think they start the 'm' but never get as far as closing the mouth before the 's'. There's cetainly no 'n' sound as in 'Rarns' like 'barns'.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hurtle wrote:
And yes, a lot of the final sounded consonants are a regional thing eg the 's' in Gigondas is always sounded locally, but often not elsewhere in France. Also, in Belgium and in France, some people pronounce the 'x' in Bruxelles as 'x' and some as 's.' Dead confusing, but I guess not as impenetrable as some of our quirks of pronunciation.

Heck, in the Geneva area (DM will know this far better than me), even the locals can't decide on a generic rule for whether the x at the end of a place name is or is not sounded - Gex, is pronounced, I believe; Bardonnex certainly isn't
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I still can't get over why the 'ent' isn't sounded in "Ils allèrent". I heard someone say that it used to be sounded in old french...
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Never mind how resorts are spelt; the key question is how do you pronounce "Les Houches"?

I needed to get there from Chamonix a few years ago to start the Tour of Mont Blanc. The guy at the ticket office at Chamonix station had undoubtedly heard every possible pronunciation in his time, so understood where I meant by "Laysoosh", sandwiched between an array of pleasantries and accompanied by a hopefully gallic(ish) shrug. I've been curious as to the correct pronunciation ever since. Very Happy
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The Flying Snowplough, Lay Oosh.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
The Flying Snowplough, Lez Hooch Ezzz!!!!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
crosbie,
Quote:

I heard someone say that it used to be sounded in old french

That's what I've read. More syllables pronounced in Chaucerian English too.
Quote:

The 'n' even in Rahnss is a very, very, very subtle 'm'. So subtle you can't tell if it's an 'n' or an 'm' - well, maybe the French can. I think they start the 'm' but never get as far as closing the mouth before the 's'.

Yes, though I'm not certain it's an 'm' rather than an 'n'. Either way, the mouth doesn't close between the 'a' and the 's'.

Amazing, someone possibly even more anal than I am about this sort of thing... Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I'm a bit of a philologist (in the trainspotting sense as opposed to the Oxford don sense).
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Boris & Roy Hockley:

Me delighted too start sutch an intrestinn debait!! (Sic - but "You'll know what I mean!)

1. Never said it WAS one of the world's most pressing problems.

2. Not a case of "getting over it".

"CourchevAl" is like fish & chip's; your on Sky Sports; effect instead of affect; and numerous other examples where people say "It doesn't matter 'cos they'll know what I mean."

Fact is it's just plain wrong. Simple as that......
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
crosbie, brilliant description. Me too, I guess.
mountainaddict, the puzzling business of David Murdoch's tourist office website remains outstanding... Confused Nice to meet another pedant, btw.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

"It doesn't matter 'cos they'll know what I mean."

Subtext: 'I am thick as sh*t and probably talk about worthless TV programmes all the time'. Laughing
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Don't suppose there's any hope of recovering the word 'sixth', is there? Everyone seems to pronounce it as though they count "One, Two, Three, Four, Five, Sick, Seven...".
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
For years I couldn't work out how to pronounce Tignes, until one day a mate from uni was talking about it and I had a revelation; it's no different from words like ligne. I inwardly felt very stupid that day Sad

(Lesson? Don't study a language at A-level cause the little you do learn won't last you long rolling eyes)
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
mountainaddict, Me thinks it must be!
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
mountainaddict wrote:
Boris & Roy Hockley:

Me delighted too start sutch an intrestinn debait!! (Sic - but "You'll know what I mean!)

1. Never said it WAS one of the world's most pressing problems.

2. Not a case of "getting over it".

"CourchevAl" is like fish & chip's; your on Sky Sports; effect instead of affect; and numerous other examples where people say "It doesn't matter 'cos they'll know what I mean."

Fact is it's just plain wrong. Simple as that......

But if you're going to have a rant about spelling, at least choose an example of spelling that REALLY is incorrect. It would strongly appear from their own website that "Courcheval" is in fact a legitimate spelling, perhaps a British spelling? Why not have a pop at the French for calling London Londres? They neither spell it or pronounce it correctly, so what's wrong with us calling Courchevel Courcheval and pronouncing it with an English accent?
latest report
uktrailmonster,
Quote:

would strongly appear from their own website that "Courcheval" is in fact a legitimate spelling, perhaps a British spelling?

I'm still really puzzled by that website. But maybe you're saying this is like Reims/Rheims and Marseille/Marseilles, towns which have a special British spelling and pronunciation(not an entirely different word, that's surely a different debate)? If so, that's a fair argument. It comes more naturally to French speakers to pronounce and spell these places in the French way but, hey, I guess that's up to them. And there's not much logic to any of this - I certainly don't pronounce Paris 'Paree' when I'm talking in English!
snow conditions
It's not exactly uncommon for different languages to use different words for foreign place names.

eg.
Milan = Milano
Brussells = Bruxelles
snow conditions
uktrailmonster, no, indeed, but I was not aware until now that Courchevel/Courcheval might be one such place. (I'm still not convinced it is, actually, but maybe it is.)
snow report
Hurtle wrote:
uktrailmonster, no, indeed, but I was not aware until now that Courchevel/Courcheval might be one such place. (I'm still not convinced it is, actually, but maybe it is.)

Me neither, but if they use the Courcheval spelling on their own tourist website, you can hardly rant at other people using it!
latest report
uktrailmonster, I'm not ranting, indeed I haven't expressed agreement or disagreement with the OP at all! I can't turn that extract into a whole website in English, can you? It would be interesting to look at the whole thing.
snow report
Hurtle, I meant the OP ranting, not you. This thread is a very poor rant on the basis that Courchevel's own website uses the Courcheval spelling too.
latest report
crosbie wrote:
Even the French don't agree on whether the final z is sounded in Avoriaz. Maybe it's a Savoie dialect thingy.

I've been told the z is a Savoie/catholic thing. The people & villages who refused to embrace Catholicism got a z put after their name. The local Savoie people didnt like this, so refused to pronounce it - as in Seez (near b-St-M) is pronounced 'Say' by the locals.
snow report
geri, interesting story - anybody else heard the same thing? But final "z" is not generally pronounced in French anyway (e.g. parlez-vous anglais?). I've often wondered how Seez is pronounced. My Belgian (french speaking Belgian) friends sound the final "x" in Chamonix. And everybody who knows pronounces the final "s" in Val Thorens. It's good that things aren't entirely predictable!
snow conditions
geri, pam w, That's fascinating indeed. I'd never heard it before but have just been leafing through a terrific book I'm reading, called The Discovery of France' by Graham Robb, to see if that's got anything to say on the subject. Can't find anything.

I think the Belgians are into 'x's! I've heard few, if any, non-Belgians pronounce the 'x' in Bruxelles otherwise than as an 's'. There again, there's not much doubt about the pronunciation of Aix. As you say, the whole thing is delightfully unpredictable. (How do you pronounce Auxerre? With an 's' or an 'x'? I was brought up to the former, but don't really know whether it's right.)
snow conditions
pam w, Hurtle, I've been googling to see if I can find any foundation for what I said - but cant! I was told it by our friend in Peisey who is a real man of the mountains & true historian, so I have no reason to doubt him.
snow report
Hurtle, my French teacher says Auxerre with a "z". Funnily enough it cropped up on Thursday when we did a workshop on wines of France and were standing looking at a map. We got confused between Auxerre and Auxonne, but I think they both had a "z".
snow conditions
uktrailmonster wrote:
Hurtle wrote:

Me neither, but if they use the Courcheval spelling on their own tourist website, you can hardly rant at other people using it!

Native English speakers hardly have the monopoly on committing typos - personally I would put good money on the web site A being a typo
snow report
pam w, how interesting - z in Auxerre, that is. Must listen more carefully when I get the chance.

I think you and geri might both like that Graham Robb book - it's full of interesting facts.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Maybe they use the 'Courcheval' spelling on their website because they know English people use this pronunciation/make this mistake and therefore might type this spelling into Google to find the tourist office website? Just a thought.
The locals I have met here do not pronounce the 'z' in Avoriaz, so I say Avoriazz when talking to English friends and Avoria when with the Francais...
snow conditions
Hurtle, Thank you for that - great idea for husbands birthday pressie - I can read it before March
ski holidays
geri, Alpe d'Huez - with Z. Les Carroz - no Z. Does that support your Savoie/catholic theory?

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sat 16-02-08 22:06; edited 2 times in total
snow report
How about a 'How Not to Make an Eejit Out of Yourself in Resort' guide? Ski-related pronounciation for dummies.

I knew the Courchevel thing but I've been flumoxed on plenty of others. I suppose it's only natural, especially when place-names seem to buck the trends of normal pronounciation. Lots of Irish placenames aren't pronounced in a way that's consistent with either Irish or English. We only know how to say them because of local knowledge. We sniggered when the flight captain announced our arrival at K-nock, prounouncing the derivative English silent K but in Irish you do pronounce the k-sound. Same guy explained to us that we would fly over Nor-witch too.

Anyway, maybe some of the snowheads in the know could phonetically spell out some of the stumbling blocks to save our (my!) blushes? I'm heading for my first French ski-trip and have only basic school French and really don't want to be driving people up the wall. Pretty please Smile
snow conditions
I once asked for "Juste deux orange" and got just two oranges. I soon learnt that if you ask for "Je dorange" you'll get orange juice.

Unfortunately for me the chilled cabinet contained both oranges and small cartons of orange juice.

Jus d'orange - don't sound the 's'. Madeye-Smiley
snow report
MissRibena, I take any opportunity that arises to ask someone local how to pronounce names - that's how I discovered, for instance, how to pronounce Troyes. You don't need to blush - they're quite happy to tell you!! Where are you going?
snow report
snowzebra,
Quote:

Maybe they use the 'Courcheval' spelling on their website because they know English people use this pronunciation/make this mistake and therefore might type this spelling into Google to find the tourist office website?

That's exactly what I was thinking. It's why I was dubious about the entry justifying the alternative spelling.

crosbie, someone I know got laughed at once - he was told, very unkindly, that he had been asking for a squeezed car. He allegedly mispronounced the word 'citron' so that it sounded like Citroen. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
geri wrote:
The local Savoie people didnt like this, so refused to pronounce it - as in Seez (near b-St-M) is pronounced 'Say' by the locals.

Thank you; often wondered about that.
snow conditions
boredsurfin wrote:
Val despair

aka "Val De Doo Dah" Very Happy
ski holidays
I'm constantly beset with people telling me they've been to Sham-on-icks or even worse, Tig-knees.

The French resorts are EASY compared to the vowel-free-zone that is some of the Austrian resorts Very Happy
snow conditions
pam w, I'm going to Samoens (I think have figured out that one) but didn't know how to say Les Carroz until someone sorted it out up above. And what about Sixt - is it a 'say what you see' type of word? There's also Flaine, which presumably is 'flayne' and Morillon (if there's two L's you pronounce them, don't you?). Have I picked the hardest to pronounce place ever?? I think I know how to say Shamonee and Teen - so hopefully I'm not a lost cause Smile

I find the Austrian stuff comes far more naturally, eventhough strictly speaking I learnt as much German as French but I've made a far greater effort to keep up my German. I loved languages in school and really like to make an effort. This 'effort' is much more pronounced when I've had a few bevvies and think I'm a linguistic genius Smile
latest report
Enjoying this thread Very Happy
What about Meribel? I would have thought that's fairly straightforward but I've heard Marybell and Meerabal Laughing
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy