Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

It's NOT ****ing CourchevAl!!

Poster: A snowHead
Any other Snowheads continually exasperated that folk think that there's a resort in France called Courcheval??

Come to think of it, I might start a movement to call a nearby resort Meribal.......
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Or Vel Thorens.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
it's no use getting wound up about poor spelling. Loads of it about. If people can't spell in English there's little hope that they'll do better in French. Though I did just add a pedantic note about superfluous apostrophes to one of my posts!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I heard a South African went to the three velleys.

I'm with you, mountainaddict. People always seem to say it that way too. snowHead
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
mountainaddict, well according to the Courcheval Tourist Offie you can spell it either way... http://www.courchevel.com/courchevel/courcheval.html

A bit like Chamouny/Chamonix, Champolux/Champoluc, etc....

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Thu 14-02-08 12:51; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I thought it was Comradevel
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
David Murdoch, Ouch!!! How does he feel now Embarassed
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Spyderman, Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Poor spelling on web forums - not sure it's the most pressing of the world's problems Puzzled
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
David Murdoch, interesting. Time for some fun http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/effect_an_effect.png
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Don't start me on this. My workmate was convinced that i was going skiing to The Gents.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
First non Swiss (or visitor) to pronounce Chateau d' Oex correctly wins the pize Laughing

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Thu 14-02-08 13:13; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
boredsurfin, I can... and it's only 8 kms away .. a decent bottle of red please...

Spelt ...'Full-of-Brits-and hot-air-balloons'
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I've been correcting my family's pronunciation of La Thuile ever since I booked the trip 6 months ago. And I never figured out how to say 'Sauze D'Oulx' during my whole time there.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
The (resident) resort manager for one of the most respected UK ski operators in possibly the best known ski resort on this forum calls it "La Rozeeay"
snow report
boredsurfin, shat-oh-day. Dunno how you pronounce that stupid name though...

I have problems with Champéry/Chambéry. My French housemate is continually correcting me despite the fact I pronounce it exactly like he does. Shom-bai-ree, Shom-pai-ree...
ski holidays
Sharkymark, Troyes ? Reims ? same problem Laughing
snow report
boredsurfin,
Quote:

Troyes ? Reims ? same problem

No. One of these (a prize will not be offered for a correct answer) has a specifically English version of both spelling and pronunciation. As Professor Higgins says in 'My Fair Lady', 'The French don't care what they say, so long as they pronounce it properly.' This can certainly not be applied to the English!

[edited for clarity]

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Thu 14-02-08 14:01; edited 1 time in total
latest report
If you want great fitting boots you have to put up with poor spelling wink
snow report
There was a barman in Val d'Isere who refused to know what the feck I was talking about when I said I was popping back via POLIN-YEE

He then finally figured it out. "Ah POLIYN-I - why did you not say?"

Poligny, and no doubt many other 'gn' sounds in French cut the 'y' (as in 'ye olde') at the 'n' rather than running it in to the following vowel.
ski holidays
spyderjon, Saucer of milk? wink
ski holidays
crosbie, nah, he was having you on. If you say the name quickly (a French person wouldn't pause even minutely before the last syllable, nor would he stress it) there is surely no difference between the two pronunciations. Also, I'd defy anyone with a normal tongue to pronounce the diphthong IYN!
snow conditions
Hurtle, I'm not suggesting there's any pause by the hyphens, just using them to clarify where the difference lies.

Anyway, I'm now careful to pronounce it Poliyn-i rather than polin-yee. It can be done (without pausing or stress).

I daresay French have difficulty with some of our place names...
snow report
David Murdoch, That's really weird. The French version of that Courchevel website doesn't mention the name Courcheval at all. Maybe your bit was specially designed for ignorant Brits?
snow conditions
Even the French don't agree on whether the final z is sounded in Avoriaz. Maybe it's a Savoie dialect thingy.
snow report
crosbie, Sorry, I think I expressed myself badly. Having practised this out loud a bit, and Martigny too (sad, or what?!) I think that the 'Y' sound is virtually imperceptible anyway, but that - as you imply - the sound you end the name on is indeed 'ee' and not 'yee'.

I can't believe I'm having this discussion.... Embarassed But then I do set a lot of store by good pronunciation and French people often say that they can't tell I'm not French (no particular talent on my part, just learned very young and had lots of family in France.)

And yes, a lot of the final sounded consonants are a regional thing eg the 's' in Gigondas is always sounded locally, but often not elsewhere in France. Also, in Belgium and in France, some people pronounce the 'x' in Bruxelles as 'x' and some as 's.' Dead confusing, but I guess not as impenetrable as some of our quirks of pronunciation.
snow conditions
crosbie, Heh they can't even agree on the e at the end of La Plagne, so there's not a lot of hope for any of us really Laughing
snow report
boredsurfin,
Quote:

the e at the end of La Plagne

That's more a question of regional accent than of pronunciation. The Midi accent, for example, will always sound that 'e' quite strongly. Also, I think this is a case where there really is an audible 'y' sound indicated by the 'gn', and that's difficult to achieve if you don't sound that final 'e' at least a little bit.

[Memo to self: shut UP, this is paralysingly boring.]
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hurtle, No it's not! boring I mean.
At Christmas a girl in the tourist office managed to pronounce La Plagne with a real 'metallic whang' sound to it and no final e at all, apparently she was from Marseilles (sp) Laughing
ski holidays
boredsurfin, Aah, you say the nicest things. The girl from Marseille (sp wink ) was obviously the exception that proved the rule!
ski holidays
The best example I can think of where a slight difference in ordering occurs in English is in pronouncing the word 'where'.

John Humphrys (or is it James Naughtie) on Radio 4's Today programme always irritates me when he says 'hwair' instead of 'wair'.

It seems that because there's an 'h' in it, folk have to try to pronounce it, and because it can't occur after the W they slip it in before.

Evil or Very Mad
snow conditions
boredsurfin, did it sound like "la pleng"? That would be the Provencal accent. Tray byeng it is too.
latest report
crosbie, I think it's the latter, on account of his hailing from north of the Border, hwair they can't help pronouncing it like that, for some reason. But you're right, it's never occurred to me that people who aspirate it actually put the 'h' in the wrong place. Well spotted. Toofy Grin
snow report
Wear The Fox Hat,
Quote:

byeng

Bang on. But an 'e' on the end of a word is - usually - sounded in the south, even in non-'gn' words like 'baguette'. Otherwise, the final 'e' is only sounded in such words when recited or sung (in classical music, a note is often actually assigned to it.)
ski holidays
It's NOT ****ing CourchevAl!!, it's M&S Courchevel.
ski holidays
Talking of M&S I also hate the contracted 'oo' as in:
"It's not just fud but M&S fud."

Oh and don't mention other terrible mis-orderings like 'Excape for escape' or 'aks for ask'.
ski holidays
Reims = Rahnss ?
snow conditions
mountainaddict, skiing in a resort mentioning a "horse" or not, I know where he meant and I am sure you did also, so get over it!
ski holidays
Before I started skiing I was convinced that Val des Ayres was a good place to go to. rolling eyes

My "favourite" (not) resort is of course Marybelle (sometimes even contracted to "Maybelle")
ski holidays
Nick L, I like the tour ops versions
Val despair
Merry hell etc
and of course the ops themselves, the best being, First Choice... Last resort
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy