Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Helmets or not

Poster: A snowHead
I would love to hear peoples opinions of helmets or no helmets for
a adults
b 14 year old
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
There's a search function on here, you know. Laughing
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
lynne123, Have a look at the large number of threads on the subject from the last month or so, then come back if your question hasn't been answered. snowHead
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Lizzard wrote:
There's a search function on here, you know. Laughing

It's possible that, with only 11 posts under your belt, even you - as a fount of most knowledge - might not have known. rolling eyes
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hurtle, no, but I can read the 'forum search' label at the top of the page. Razz
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Lizzard, Bet you hadn't familiarised yourself with each and every label by the time you had posted 11 times! I know I hadn't. NehNeh
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hurtle, had so! Razz Razz Razz

(This is very silly.)
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Has a helmet manufacturer joined the SH recently?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Lizzard, Agreed. Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
lynne123,

Hope you like reading:

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=33495

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=35639
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Look...I'll save you a lot of search and reading:

A lot of snowHead think you should wear one whenever skiing (me included) because it is safer.
A lot of snowHead are daft enough to think it won't happen to them, and anyway they get all hot or they can't hear anything.

If you have a spare hour or two read those two lines about 10,000 times....and that will be just as informative as all the searching you will do.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Don't forget, if you get a helmet, you'll get dogs abuse from some on here because you are infringing on their civil liberties Laughing rolling eyes
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Wear The Fox Hat, I don't think anybody has abused another for owning/wearing a helmet.

What does get people's backs up is other people telling them they should wear one.

Most people like to be able to make their own decision, and don't want to be "preached" to in the process.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks for all of your replies.
Did not realise there was a search button (I know!!!! Studid or what am I!) Embarassed
I did guess that there would be a lot written about it but just wanted a quick post like rungsp's ie pros and cons.
Quote:

A lot of think you should wear one whenever skiing (me included) because it is safer.
A lot of are daft enough to think it won't happen to them, and anyway they get all hot or they can't hear anything.

TBH I have never worn one before and a friend of mine the other day just said she wore one all of the time, and I couldn't honestly give a realistic expaination of why I didn't.
I do think its personal choice, and I think I will now wear one.
Thanks again for the replies.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
rungsp wrote:
A lot of snowHead are daft enough to think it won't happen to them

Has no helmetless skier escaped without a serious head injury then?
latest report
lynne123, My advice would be yes, it would be a good idea to wear one, for both Adults & 14 year olds, but I'm not telling you to wear one. wink
ski holidays
Spyderman, two might be better. wink
latest report
alex_heney, I think telling someone who thinks they are a good idea that they are an inexperienced skier, and that they should shut up until they can ski better is a bit rude.
Equally, suggesting that if you wear a helmet you are a more dangerous skier.
snow report
Wear The Fox Hat, I'm safe, it's just everyone in my path that's in danger. wink
ski holidays
all I think admin should create a special 'Helmets' forum where afficiandos can wile away the hours discussing the shape, colour and texture of their helmets, the thorny issue of 'venting', safety, chin straps, ear muffs, ipods, et al, etc, & ad nauseum, without disturbing the rest of us.

Good idea?

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Mon 11-02-08 17:05; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
red 27, For those that use the 'view posts since last visit' option this makes no difference. You just got to be brave and not click them open snowHead Laughing
snow report
red 27, Metallic Grey with Flames, Giro 9.9. Much faster than Green Helmets. wink Laughing
latest report
lynne123 wrote:
a adults
b 14 year old

A 14 year old wouldn't want to wear anything that their parents would wear. I'd suggest yours should look really old (perhaps 80's neon pink/green for you with a matching tank top and ski poles) and theirs should look like really cool man like bangin.
snow report
Is the helmet debate turining into somthing of a Which came first Chiken or egg debate Puzzled Could it lead to a snowheads civil war and a monthy python (JUdian Peoples Front) type split Very Happy

I honestly can not belive how strongly people feel both pro and con and how those that dont wear them feel like they are being preached to by those that do Shocked . Cant we all just get along people snowHead
snow conditions
Ordhan, yes, it appears we are all just banging our heads against a wall.
latest report
Wear The Fox Hat wrote:
Ordhan, yes, it appears we are all just banging our heads against a wall.

I hope you're wearing a Helmet before you try that. wink
snow conditions
[quote="Wear The Fox Hat"]alex_heney, I think telling someone who thinks they are a good idea that they are an inexperienced skier, and that they should shut up until they can ski better is a bit rude.[quote]

Agreed.

But of what relevance to the point either of us was making?

Quote:

Equally, suggesting that if you wear a helmet you are a more dangerous skier.

Absolutely.
snow report
Look folks....I am going to widen my advice, and ask (even INSIST) that this be kept as a stand-alone sticky, and become The Definative Helmet Thread, beginning, middle, end. There really is nothing else to add.

A lot of snowHead think you should wear one whenever skiing because it is safer.
A lot of snowHead think it won't happen to them, and anyway they get all hot or they can't hear anything.

Mods: please close this thread!!!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Wear The Fox Hat,

Can't recall if it has been asked before but would the fox be tough enough to act as a helmet? You did say if you wear it you could get dog abuse so it must smell too. Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
My 14yr old is adamant that she won't wear one at Easter. I said that's ok because she is only going to be sitting around the house anyway Laughing

Seriously tho' I would like her to wear a helmet but she says she won't - cue teenage strop and sulk when I try to reason with her.
latest report
halfhand, Certainly on my daughter's ski trip to Italy last year, it was compulsory for 14year olds to wear a helmet. Obviously it depends on the resort, but you may like to check before you go away.
latest report
Kitty, It was certainly compulsory in Cervinia and I believe that it is in Italy in general.
snow report
We have just returned from a weeks skiing with an 11 year old and a 13 year old. The daughter (11) was and is always content to wear a helmet. the son (13) argued against, but we insisted. We borrowed a very good helmet from a friend but allowed him to jazz it up with a coloured helmet cover with an animal face on it. This seemed to help with the acceptance of wearing the helmet, even though it was a non negotiable position. The benefit was that on the last day, he caught an edge on the snowboard, landed heavily, bumped his head, and admitted he was glad he had a helmet on. All we had to manage was a headache. No arguments for next year either. It also said on the piste map that 14 year olds and under had to wear a helmet, and that supported the position we had taken. I also had a helmet for the first time, found it did not have any impact on my ski enjoyment except when i forgot to close the vents in high wind which resulted in a cold head until I worked it out. Was a bit hotter when the sun came up. My instructor also told us that we were travelling at 50 kph at some points during the week. I guess the question is, would i ride a motorbike at that speed without a helmet. I think I am converted, but would like to have a decent helmet rather than the rented one i used.
snow report
 bloxy
bloxy
rungsp wrote:
Look folks....I am going to widen my advice, and ask (even INSIST) that this be kept as a stand-alone sticky, and become The Definative Helmet Thread, beginning, middle, end. There really is nothing else to add.

A lot of snowHead think you should wear one whenever skiing because it is safer.

Even though the evidence does not support this

Quote:

A lot of snowHead think it won't happen to them

Which is supported by the evidence the chance of a head injury is very low.

Take a look at the other recent thread on "helmets compulsory?" where I have provided sources of real evidence of why a helmet won't save from a serious injury (but may save you a bump or a headache).
ski holidays
Strewth. Not another helmet thread Shocked Shocked rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes

lynne123 wrote:
a adults
b 14 year old

Can't you be bothered to read around the forum first?
latest report
achilles, can't you be bothered to read the subsequent posts? That issue's been dealt with.

As for people being fed up with helmet threads - don't read them. They are no more tedious and pointless than the "will there be any snow in Resort X next Christmas" threads. Loads of questions (including perfectly sensible questions, like "Is Val D'Isere suitable for beginners") are asked more than once, and generally get a civil, not to mention informative and thoughtful, answer.
latest report
pam w wrote:
achilles, can't you be bothered to read the subsequent posts?....

Yes. I did. Thank you so much for asking, I do apprecate your concern Little Angel
latest report
achilles, That is totally selfish, you are not obliged to read every helmet thread that comes along, yet.
Reading helmet threads is a primary diversionary activity, or PDA and when undertaken by cat 2b+ and above thrill seekers, has been calculated to reduce mortality rates by 34.7% (ref available) thereby saving the NHS several million (or was it billion?) in costs which fall on every one and kill babies.
So take your civic duties seriously and read all the helmet threads, even the ones that are written by risk averse busybodies and are exactly the same as the last one, rather than chuck yourself about on mountains.
Make reading helmet threads compulsory now.
latest report
achilles, if you read them, why repeat the rather unfriendly response to the OP who is new to Snowheads and had already apologised gracefully for not being aware of the search facility?
snow report
jbob, quite right. I am thoroughly ashamed.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy