Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Thinking about some new skis, any suggestions....

Poster: A snowHead
rjs wrote:
fatbob, A 17m ski is not a race GS ski. My GS skis are 28m sidecut radius, I only take them out on an empty slope.

That's what I thought - they aren't called kiddie killers for nothing. But a fast GS ski could get someone into real trouble pretty quickly in unfamiliar terrain - so the safety question seems a bit moot. No particular point to my questions and already aware that skiers who've grown up through a race programme will naturally be able to ski GS skis anywhere.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Arno wrote:
the requirement does seem a bit dumb to me - you're supposed to be a pretty good skier by the time you are doing ISIA so surely you're capable of making your own equipment choices Puzzled

The annoying thing is that the trainers I had lessons with last season were encouraging me to get some slalom skis...
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
PhillipStanton, skinny skis Shocked
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
PhillipStanton wrote:
Arno wrote:
the requirement does seem a bit dumb to me - you're supposed to be a pretty good skier by the time you are doing ISIA so surely you're capable of making your own equipment choices Puzzled

The annoying thing is that the trainers I had lessons with last season were encouraging me to get some slalom skis...

is it mandatory or advisory
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
dan100, the course handbook describes it as a "requirement". I suspect in practice that each Trainer will interpret that in whatever way they want, in much the same way as happens on other things.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
rob@rar, agreed, for instance i cant imagine that on the ADC L1 course in a snowdome they will boot you off the slope for having SL skis on... rolling eyes
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
skimottaret, I could understand the ADC requirements a bit better if you needed >17m skis as well as SL skis, but not as the only pair.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
skimottaret wrote:
rob@rar, agreed, for instance i cant imagine that on the ADC L1 course in a snowdome they will boot you off the slope for having SL skis on... rolling eyes

Just how many carved turns do you think you could do at MK on a pair of FIS regulation GS? Wink
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
rjs, you need SL and GS skis on the L3 course... I think the L1 and L2 are less about personal performance and more about teaching, setting, movement analysis and drills.

rob@rar, 1 maybe and then punch a hole through the wall... Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
rob@rar wrote:
Just how many carved turns do you think you could do at MK on a pair of FIS regulation GS? Wink

One.

Nordica had a ski test at Castleford last summer and had a pair of Dobermann GS-Rs with them.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
rjs, just remembered on the course i did last year we had SL skis for the first couple days and then GS mandatory for the last day in gates and recommeneded for the 4th day... It caused a bit of a problem in that most didnt have two pairs of skis and it was a bun fight at the hire shops to get race GS skis for all 10 students. Not sure but perhaps they changed it as they figure 17 is a reasonable compromise for the L1 and L2 courses without peeps having to buy or hire two pairs... Health and safety may be rearing its head as well on this issue if people have gotten hurt on courses...
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

Just how many carved turns do you think you could do at MK on a pair of FIS regulation GS?

Not many. My 2V Labs weren't much fun there last summer, especially given the number of punters on the slope. It's not just the turn radius but also the stiffness of the ski - you have to get up to at least 20mph before they'll start to respond.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
skimottaret, The old APC1 requirements were to have both SL and GS skis. I have watched several people try to just use one pair of 17-18m skis and fail, they couldn't make short radius carved turns and couldn't get through a slalom course.

This is getting a bit off topic...
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
little tiger wrote:
PhillipStanton, skinny skis Shocked

What are you suggesting little tiger - that I'm a lardy? wink

(In which case you might be correct...)
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
PhillipStanton, Laughing

Just that matches with what I have seen - trainers keep suggesting skinny skis.... students(esp instructors going for levels) seem to want to get less skinny....
I've been there done that with insisting I did not want or need GS skis... My skiing just needed to grow into the ski... (I 'grew up' on slaloms)

17m is a common radius in a "cheater GS" ski.... these are less stiff than their full GS brothers.... very nice all around skis... maybe that is why they picked 17?
latest report
PhillipStanton, had a word with RG about the indoors L1 ADC course and he said he could care less what skis people have on....
ski holidays
OK, I have the same dilemma. Please recommend me a ski meeting the following criteria:

- >15m radius
- Rock solid in high speed long turns
- Nippy in short turns
- Plenty of rebound
- Manouverable in bumps
- Good in variables
- Must be in the BASI offer or available at this type of price

Thanks!
snow report
beanie1, where can I find details of the BASI offer? I had a quick scout around the website but couldn't spot anything. Not that I'm planning on buying any more pairs of bloody skis of course, just curious about prices.
snow conditions
Atomic Nomad Black Eye....? Available in 157 164 171 178

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Thu 17-07-08 19:26; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
rob@rar, they've only got the Salomon offer on the website. You need to log in, then it's on the left hand menu. Prices roughly 50% of RRP.
ski holidays
rob@rar, sorry I can't remember if you have your L2? I think you have to to get access to the offer.
latest report
beanie1 wrote:
rob@rar, sorry I can't remember if you have your L2? I think you have to to get access to the offer.

Yes, got my L2 in March. Thanks, I spotted the Salomon offer now.
snow report
rob@rar, The offer normally includes Rossi, and sometimes Stockli and Movement. Should be getting it in the post in next few weeks.
snow conditions
Just had the offer through! It's been suggested to me that a non-factory GS ski might suit. What about a Skiercross ski? (not many of them around these days?) I'm specifically thinking the Stockli Cross Pro - anyone tried it?
ski holidays
beanie1, I looked at the skiercross skis and they look good for on piste as a detuned GS ski, should be fun... if you arent taking any courses this season why worry about the BASI rules and just get what you like..
ski holidays
skimottaret, cos I want to train on type of ski I'll be using. I don't get as much time to train as you, so unlikely to fit any in right before any course i do!! wink
ski holidays
beanie1, fair enough but they will probably change the rules again by that time anyway wink I now have a pair of 14 M and a some 18.5 Metre radius skis so have all the bases covered.
snow conditions
Bump... Had a run out with my new head supershape magnums yesterday and after 6 months on Fishcer RC4's they felt like beginners skis and were floppier than the kids SL skis at the dome.... Even my boss said they looked "a bit cruisy"

should be good for the bumps but i have to admit when i turied turning i was diverging a lot Toofy Grin wink as the inner tips were really grabby, mighta just been cause i was hungover though....
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
skimottaret, you bought Magnums for skiing on piste Puzzled They're punter-ry 'all-mountain' surely? Why not the the iSuperShape piste ski?
snow conditions
red 27, will be using em off piste and in bumps for basi course so all mountain with a piste bias was what i was after.
latest report
skimottaret, right, got it... I stand corrected. Have you tried Salomon x-wing Tornado's or whatever they're called now? I know some people hate sallys, but I skied them, and I liked it (c. Katy Perry). (i am rubbish of course, as you know)
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy