Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Sunday Sun Feb 3rd

Poster: A snowHead
Missed it last night but I like the new format, although it could maybe do with some small changes to make it spot on.

Such as, the bahind the scenes stuff on how the down hill is prep'd and run, great, Behind the scenes at some resorts to see how they operate.

Rather have it on than not! Very Happy
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
nbt wrote:
I think t worksw really well as it gives you an idea of the amoutn of work he's having to put into it - and bear in mind he's not travelling *nearly* as fast as the pris, and he still missed a gate. 'nuff 'speck'.

I agree, the 'live' commentary is an integral part of the camera run. I saw him ski into the finish area of the OK course at Val d'Isere a couple of seasons ago and he looked shattered, and that's on a relatively easy course. Huge respect to the man for what he did down the Face.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Give me Graham Bell over the unspeakable Clarkson any day. He actually seems to be more focussed on the subject in hand than on pratting about to prove how clever he is. I thought the piece on the course preparation was the best, actually - it would be good to have more background on that kind of thing. I agree the snowboarder was a waste of space; it would be far more interesting to watch, for example, how some of Britain's great freestylers practice and prepare for a big competition.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
There are some highlights from the programme on the BBC website here, clips include "Fogle on the piste with a pint", "Graham Bell's Alpine journey" and "Ed Leigh boards Down Under", there's also Bode Miller's winning slalom run.

Personally whilst I think it could be improved I think the programmes quite enjoyable and I'm actually enjoying Bell's tour of the Alps in summer. This week's instalment was particularly interesting I thought and really quite spectacular. The celebrity bit is kinda pointless but allright, I agree that Ed Leigh's boarding down under thing seemed more about caravanning than the mountains and was a missed opportunity IMHO.

All the same I'd be a bit peeved if this was the only coverage we had on TV but coupled with Channel 4's programme and Eurosport I can live with Ski Sunday being a bit more of a general snowsports magazine programme.
snow conditions
 brian
brian
Quote from Graham Bell on the Beeb site:

"We have to appeal to the non-skiers first and foremost"

I think that says it all really. As I said last week, I don't mind them cutting back on the racing as we have C4, but I do mind them cutting out skiing.

Actually, taking his quote with more context ...

"We have to appeal to the non-skiers first and foremost, and if that means using celebrities then bring them on. If we can encourage even 2% of our viewers to try skiing or snowboarding then we will make a massively positive impact on the UK ski industry."

Why should the Beeb give 2 hoots about attracting more skiers ? Haven't we got enough ? ... and what UK ski industry ? I take it he means the winter branch of the UK travel industry ?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

... and what UK ski industry ?

he means boosting the potential market for the "Skier's Edge" wink
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Is it repeated anywhere?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I thought I'd seen mouth-foaming (done a bit myself) until reading 606 feedback - it's for the seriously damaged.

You won't beat GB for real action shots to camera anywhere on television full stop - the Beeb (& others) needs to make more use of him. Electrifying TV. (How about a helmet-cam down the slalom closing the 2nd run ? - anyone know how it comes out ? - might be rubbish)

The rest of the programme is definitely worth watching - sure caravanning is not what I switched on for but, as it happens, we were thinking of skiing Oz in August this year - now likely not to waste the time but absolutely worth understanding what's there. And the celebrity stuff is fine - what we do need to see is GB's time down the same course as a benchmark ! And the only place you're going to slip a wee feature on summer in the Alps is here - shame he's not so far done any more extreme activities - canyoning, climbing, paragliding, rafting - even, as s keen cyclist, mountain-biking-cam.

The unforgiveable remains the lack of attention to Home Nation talent (young & old) as well as any indication of where to find out more about racing. Having got the punters all excited where do they go next ? It's downright irresponsible of both the Beeb and GB - shame on you.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
redrunmarcus, you can see in the iPlayer on the BBC website
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
nbt, Don't think you can see this program on iplayer. Contractual reasons I hear Confused

redrunmarcus, Torrents, not that I condone their existence or use Toofy Grin , is where you can get a copy of the program
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
thefatcontroller wrote:
redrunmarcus, Torrents, not that I condone their existence or use Toofy Grin , is where you can get a copy of the program

I don't think it's around on torrent, not that I've looked of course Toofy Grin

The only thing around from what I can see are those clips on the Beeb website I linked to above.

Chris Craggs, I totally agree with what you say about Home Nation talent!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I think some of you are being quite harsh, Ski Sunday have changed their format as not to become a carbon copy of C4's Racing coverage or a round up of the skiing that you've already seen live on Eurosport...so it appears to me that the new format has adapted to the changes that's embraced our beloved Winter sports....look at it this way, there's loads of skiers/boarders who aren't that interested in racing, they just go on these type of holidays because they love their snow-activity of choice and the craic that goes with it....you can bet they're not watching the racing on C4 and Eurosport, so why not create a programme with watchable features for these folk and include the race viewers too???

To be honest NONE of us should be complaining.....surely there can NEVER be too much about skiiing/boarding on the telly??

Make it two hours long I say!!

And leave Ed Leigh alone....he's trying his best to make Boarders seem likeable.
snow report
 brian
brian
dazman wrote:
To be honest NONE of us should be complaining.....surely there can NEVER be too much about skiiing/boarding on the telly??

I agree completely.

However, there can never be too little caravaning. The Aus thing seemed to take up about half the programme and featured about 3 microseconds of boarding action.

Duffer than a king sized package of duffness wrapped in duff trimmings.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
brian, that's 3 microseconds more than there used to be.

I like the new format, maybe that's just because I like the mountains and everything about them though.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Reminds me a bit of Football Focus. I watched that for 15 minutes on Saturday without seeing any football.

I love the 'movie style' camera work for the downhill on SS - not intentional I'm sure, but somehow gets you closer.

I do have a remedy for the lack of action - I recorded the programme and have since watched the real action twice.

GB skiing the course is brilliant. Gives you a real feel for how energy sapping it is.
latest report
Only seen 2 of the new format due to a trip to ADH but hats off to the BBC for trying something a bit different. I'm getting to enjoy the magazine style the more I see and hopefully they will sharpen up the presentation/topics over the series. Also, by pressing the red button on Sunday, you got the women racing in St Moritz too (assuming you have freeview etc). With the race coverage on channel 4 it gives a good balance to the weekend.
ski holidays
First time I saw it, was ok... Race review was alright, bit tedious and dragged on too long for my liking, thus making the program drag on a bit... There was definately too little skiing actually happening imo.

Their cultural segment lasted like 30 seconds Very Happy The airboard segment was really interesting though, and was surprised to find the guy that presented the gumball rally on extreme sports to be a presenter on the show.
snow report
Presumably they've got a film crew in the (broad) area - why don't they trot down the road and get some footage of some of the great UK children's races going on in the Alps - interview a few of the kids - surely that would get people interested and fired up! If they can afford to go caravanning in Australia then surely the funds are there to do a piece on the fantastic commitment at grass roots by both parents and children at races in Switzerland, Italy or France? Seems a real lost opportunity to me Confused
I fact I might just go over to that BBC site and suggest it ...
snow report
I watched Ski Sunday last weekend. I was a regular in the days of David Vine, Ingemar Stenmark, the Mahre twins, Zurbriggen and Giradelli. How things have changed. There was some snowboarding bloke talking a foreign language and describing his toilet. Then there was Graham Bell walking through the Alps. Very scenic, and very enjoyable, as I was a committed alpine backpacker in my youth (my honeymoon was to walk the Tour D'Oisans!) but not exactly skiing.

In fact, I watched for half an hour and didn't see a single muscular lycra-clad loony hurtling downhill to the tune of cowbells. Bring back the old style of Ski Sunday!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The Flying Snowplough wrote:
In fact, I watched for half an hour and didn't see a single muscular lycra-clad loony hurtling downhill to the tune of cowbells. Bring back the old style of Ski Sunday!

The BBC no longer have the broadcast rights to WC skiing. You want Channel 4 at about 8am on Sunday mornings for racing coverage.
snow conditions
I think some of you need to realise that ski sunday isnt about alpine racing anymore,for better or worse its changed.I like the program,and as you all know,the more you enjoy snowsports the more you want to spend time in the mountains(any time of year)they are obviously trying to show a broader picture of the lifestyle of todays skier/boarder.if i watch eurosport,everyone leaves the room,ski sunday theres something for everyone.
ski holidays
What was the name of the amazing refuge he visited. Anoyone know of a website for it? snowHead
latest report
thefatcontroller, it's called the Regina Margherita. Looked pretty spectacular didn't it.

I'm not sure I would trust those wooden balconys. Shocked
latest report
The Refuge Margarita according to graham on the Ski Sunday site here

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/606/A31795419?s_fromedit=1&s_type=15&s_sport=other

or rather Rifugio Margherita to spell it properly. Try these links - all in other languages Smile

http://www.refuges.info/point/1489/refuge-garde/alpes-pennines/refuge-margherita-signalkuppe/

http://www.montagneinvalledaosta.com/sito/pagine/rifugi%20e%20bivacchi/0084.asp

http://www.skitour.fr/forum/read_44915.html
snow conditions
rob@rar wrote:

The BBC no longer have the broadcast rights to WC skiing. You want Channel 4 at about 8am on Sunday mornings for racing coverage.

If the no longer have the broadcast rights, then how come they can show it?

They obviously have some rights still.
latest report
alex_heney wrote:
rob@rar wrote:

If the no longer have the broadcast rights, then how come they can show it?

They obviously have some rights still.

OK, the BBC have insufficient rights to broadcast a show in the style of the old Ski Sunday. This has been the case for several years. On the other hand, they have the broadcast rights to Winter Olympics and major on the ski events, bringing in additional commentators and presenters and featuring key races live. I think the Beeb also covers the World Championships? The BBC doesn't seem to be anti-ski racing, it just doesn't have the rights to sufficient racing to construct a show from December to March which focuses almost entirely on the WC. I don't see the problem with that - I don't expect the BBC to be the only provider of sports coverage for all sport on UK TV, and Channel 4 does a reasonably good job of covering WC events (better than the old Ski Sunday IMO).
snow report
nbt, mosh, What a truly mad refuge. Who built it? At the height is it at it must be closed a lot of the year?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy