Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snow Blades - Cool or uncool?

Poster: A snowHead
Esco wrote:
So judging by trail monsters suggestion of a half decent video you want some slick edited salomon produced viral ad, and that will make them cool? Well you won't get it, theres not nearly enough money in the sport.

Give me and Graeme a 50k budget and I'm pretty sure between us we could make a video that looks 'cool', and whilst I have a couple of basic tricks and a fair bit of speed, I wouldn't class myself as an expert by any means (any offers gratefully recieved!)

that will be why there are no videos of telemarkers looking cool then?

I see far less telemarkers than bladers, there are far less shops selling the gear- it is much more of a niche.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Oh- hang on

youtube.com/v/_RQdbpZ-Nz4&feature=related wow - that's cool

youtube.com/v/UYu2KDYpwXo&feature=related - gosh- I wish I could ski like that!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
ed123, Shocked Shocked Shocked

some serious lines and serious skiing there. Way beyond cool. Great free-heel stuff.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Jan 09, Tignes, under the Fresse lift, telemarker riding switch, fast, and drawing admiring glances from everyone, then he completely stacks it, snow everywhere. He stands up, brushes himself down, takes a bow, and carries on his merry way. Coolest thing I saw all winter.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Richard_Sideways wrote:
In the spirit of this thread, I propose that all other forms of gravity snow-transport other than SNOWBIKES are obsolete and should be banned at once.

*scoots for cover* Toofy Grin

And so you should, if we hadn't discovered Snowbikes we would have been forced to give up the mountains 3 seasons ago after repeated knee operations and arthritis of the hips! Now we can spend far longer on the mountains than we ever could on skis, and we get to talk to lots of interesting people who stop to ask us where they can hire them from! The thought of giving up my 7-days-a-year being in heaven, would make me use anything - including a bin lid, cool or what?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I think snowbikes are pretty cool - had to use them for an afternoon during instructor training, and the trainer took us in some steep powdery moguls offpiste. Hugely carnageous, but incredibly entertaining at the same time. At some point I'm definitely gonna give it another go.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
clarky999, you must, the great thing about them is they ride best on the type of snow that everyone else hates e.g slush and moguls, so we sale past all those skiers struggling on the home run. In deep powder they float well as long as you keep your foot skis out of the snow! The only surface we don't much care for is packed ice - even then, four points of contact with the snow make for a stable descent, if not always in the exact direction intended Madeye-Smiley We have never laughed so much as on our 2 hour introductory lesson Toofy Grin There are 3 hire stations in the SkiWelt area, so popularity is increasing - Watch out you skiers, our blades are attached to handlebars wink
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Dr John wrote:
Jan 09, Tignes, under the Fresse lift, telemarker riding switch, fast, and drawing admiring glances from everyone, then he completely stacks it, snow everywhere. He stands up, brushes himself down, takes a bow, and carries on his merry way. Coolest thing I saw all winter.

I was at Tour in Chamonix on 27th December, demonstrating how not to telemark. The guy who tele'd past me, switch, was just gloating at me, I'm sure.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

clarky999, you must, the great thing about them is they ride best on the type of snow that everyone else hates e.g slush and moguls, so we sale past all those skiers struggling on the home run. In deep powder they float well as long as you keep your foot skis out of the snow!

Problem is that's my favourite stuff to ski! I'll have to postpone the snowbiking until the pistes are perfect courduroy boredom.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
So now we've seen some uber-cool telemarking vids, what about some cool blading action to settle the discussion? Until any evidence is presented to the contrary, blades are seriously uncool regardless of how much fun a few people think they are. Fun and cool are not the same thing. It might be fun to dress up like a clown in a jester's hat, but it isn't cool.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
sharon1953 wrote:
clarky999, you must, the great thing about them is they ride best on the type of snow that everyone else hates e.g slush and moguls, so we sale past all those skiers struggling on the home run. In deep powder they float well as long as you keep your foot skis out of the snow! The only surface we don't much care for is packed ice - even then, four points of contact with the snow make for a stable descent, if not always in the exact direction intended Madeye-Smiley We have never laughed so much as on our 2 hour introductory lesson Toofy Grin There are 3 hire stations in the SkiWelt area, so popularity is increasing - Watch out you skiers, our blades are attached to handlebars wink

Sounds fun, but I'd rather stick to skis on snow and mountain biking in the summer.
But this reminds me of a thread a few years back where some jackass was claiming to have reached motorway speeds on one of these things in Aspen. Anyone else remember this ridiculous thread?
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Right, I'v been wanting to learn Telemark for ages, but frankly I'm too skint to hire kit and get lessons. This next bit is probably a stupid idea, and I think I know the answer, but, if I were to leave my touring bindings in tour mode, would I be able to get a feel for what telemark should be like?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Dead cool!

I've had a few injuries which made me very unconfident on full length ski's (of which I own) so my boyfriend bought me some Elan blades for my birthday a couple of years ago. They're great fun and it means I can cruise the mountain in confidence. I sometimes go back to my full lengths but the fact is, I just think blading is a whole lot more fun than skiing 158's.

So ner! Cool
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
ski for fun not for coolness

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Sat 9-01-10 19:56; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I use 163 skis,on occasion, more often than not i use short and fat skiboards as do my son daughter and partner. why? because theyre easy to learn on and give people enjoyment on the mountain from day 1 ! day1 pure fun thats what its all about is it not?

cool or uncool? COULDNT CARE LESS!!!!!
IF YOUR CONCERNED ABOUT WHAT YOU LOOK LIKE ON PISTE ,YOUR A POSUER.
NOW THATS UNCOOL!!!!!!!!!
snow report
What brand of skiboards do you use, revel8?
snow report
revel8 emp trees 105 ,revel 8 105 origionals, used to have snowjam 90s and head big easy
snow conditions
Butterscotch wrote:
it means I can cruise the mountain in confidence. ! Cool

That's the thing though. I've never actually seen anyone on blades "cruising the mountain in confidence". They always look more like a scene from the Keystone Cops.
ski holidays
i dont use blades i use skiboards! i have cruised many mountains in zell am see ,saalbach and my home mountains in scotland with supreme confidence . You see good skiers,not good skiers,good snowboarders not good snowboarders good skibladers not good skibladers
ski holidays
arv, nice... wink shame to see good irony wasted...

revel8, same challenge as before - handled with aplomb by the free-heelers - show us a link to a video of skiboarders/skibladers/bladers where they are off piste and do not suck...

and if a bit of you is not a poseur as a snowuser you probably are "agricultural" in style - as you need to do some thinking about style/line etc etc..
latest report
Quote:

blades are seriously uncool regardless of how much fun a few people think they are. Fun and cool are not the same thing. It might be fun to dress up like a clown in a jester's hat, but it isn't cool.

Quote:

They always look more like a scene from the Keystone Cops.

nose/pointy thing to both of you
latest report
Kudos to you sharon1953, and if you absolutely promise never to tell anyone I have had a go on a snowbike myself. Couldn't get on with it but that probably to do with the stubby skis we had to wear with them and having never been on a pair of ski in my life i was somewhat out of my comfort zone - friend I was with thought they were ace, sitting down and skiing at the same time? what more could you ask for!
ski holidays
Quote:

That's the thing though. I've never actually seen anyone on blades "cruising the mountain in confidence". They always look more like a scene from the Keystone Cops.

LOL! Well ok, I go down the mountain in confidence!
Laughing
snow report
The simplest way of answering the original question (blades - cool or uncool?) is to set up a poll. Things are only cool if observers and participants (not just participants, otherwise everything would be cool) consider them to be cool, so the results will speak the truth. It's as simple as that in my book and has nothing whatsoever to do with the amount of fun some people clearly derive from using snow blades.
snow conditions
revel8 wrote:
i dont use blades i use skiboards!

I see you're keen to distance yourself from blades Wink
snow report
Cool or uncool? The eliteist skiers will say no, the ubercool snowboarders will say no. the man from delmonte will say no, and the churchill dog will say no.
But the skibladers,skiboarders ,short ski users and anybody thats not sliding downhill on the latest twintip/big mountain/freestyle ski probably couldnt care less. Its all about the fun factor YES !
snow report
uktrailmonster, some people think caravanning is cool.
snow conditions
There is alot in this post asking for blade video,
I watched a documentry on UK TV, about the Skiers eye view of race routes for Ski Sunday and the like.
these where filmed from blades as the cameramans hands are free

he probably didnt look Cool, but the fotage he shoots is, and I think he has a cool job

(nice one Stoatsbrother)
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
stoatsbrother wrote:
uktrailmonster, some people think caravanning is cool.

Pikies?
snow conditions
Way back in 1996 a chap who was fed up changing his skis for a snowboard to go play in the parks that were springing up in the ski resorts decided to do something about it and designed and built a new style ski with the sidecut of a snowboard a forgiving flex and identically raised tipps front and back. He and his fellow designers were now allowed into the parks which had a {no skiers allowed sign} and a new direction was opened up for skiing , no more long straight piste skis being the only ski available!!
By 1997 these new skis had just won gold in the first x games and salomon spotting the potential and having a massive marketing power had copied the design and released theyre own {TOY LIKE VERSION} for the masses.
At the time the sight of a skier grinding rails buttering riding fakie and doing big air jumps with backflips sommersaults etc etc was NOT ONLY COOL BUT UUUUBBBEEER COOL!!!!!!!!!!!!
TWIN TIPPED SKIS HAD BEEN BORN DEVELOPED BY LINE
Ii this ski had not been developed we would all be still using big long straight planks ,and not had the enormous range of different shaped skis available these days
oh i forgot to mention ! the ski he developed was less than a metre long it was in fact a skiboard!!!
skiboards once upon a time were very cool , might not be the case nowadays because the twin tipp ski is now a big bit longer but respect to the skiboard/skiblade GREAT OAKS FROM LITTLE ACORNS GROW!!!!!

Go to skiboardsonline if you want to see some COOL riders of skiblades on video
snow report
Plenty of things were cool in 96. Doesn't mean they still are or ever should have been.

And you're still trying to debate about skibaords. The question was about snowblades which are massively different according to the "skiboarders" here.
latest report
does anyone who does not/ has never bladed/skiboarded think they are cool?
ski holidays
revel8, looked at a few those videos which are viewable online - what I see is some rather unsure people doing tricks very slowly in the park. Cool for teenagers who cannot board or ski I guess. About as cool as skate-boarding in the car park at Lidl. Look at the telemark videos linked to at the start of this page, or this clip of
Plake on a mono. Spot the difference.

Then rather than saying how cool you think you are, show us a video of someone - outside a park, and off a smooth blue run - on blades/skiboards - who looks cool. I really am willing to change my views here - but need some evidence,

The thing is - a bit like with incest and morris-dancing - it isn't the participants who get to say how cool something is. wink
snow report
Quote:

There is alot in this post asking for blade video,
I watched a documentry on UK TV, about the Skiers eye view of race routes for Ski Sunday and the like.
these where filmed from blades as the cameramans hands are free

he probably didnt look Cool, but the fotage he shoots is, and I think he has a cool job

I assume you're talking about Graham Bell on Ski Sunday? I am 99.99999999% sure he doesn't do it on blades!!!! You don't need poles to ski anyway, they just make it easier/better.

(He likes cute little cuddly kittens you see. Oh, and he can actually ski properly)
latest report
clarky999, spot on - perhaps skis become blades if you drop your poles.

On the other hand we could look at the username of the numpty who suggested this

I'm a troll.... Little Angel
latest report
stoatsbrother! knew that was coming .theyre not fast enough theyre not jumping high enough etc etc etc they cant ski properly
WHO SAID IT WAS PROPER SKIING? NOT ME
If you had bothered to widen your search through the videos you would have found plenty of videos of riders young and old ripping up powder in the bowls and riding through trees in the backcountry, will they look cool? probably not. do they care? probably not
Did i say i thought i looked cool? nope
I do most of my skiing at home on glencoe which is anything but a nice smooth blue run and if you watched me match skiers or snowboarders for speed skill/ability note i never said ELEGANCE . YOU WOULD STILL NOT CHANGE YOUR VIEWS.
I wont disrespect anybodys choice of snowsliding device be it skiblades skiboards skis snowboards beer trays or a sunblest breadboard . its all meant to be about enjoying yourself on whatever floats your boat
So conclusion. skibladers/skiboarders dont look cool there now that
will make you feel better
latest report
duplicate post

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Sat 9-01-10 20:54; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
revel8, mate - don't lose it.

Take a deep breath and look at the thread title. Can they really be cool if people using them don't look cool?

Just post one link to a vid of someone you think is cool. Then we can see what you mean. I have searched and not found anything yet - you say you have - share one. snowHead
latest report
I made the mistake of telling someone I thought they were lame, who hit right back at me by telling me they were the most fun he's ever had on the slopes.

He still skied all week, though... so fun they may be, but "cool" they definitely are not.
snow conditions
In answer the the OP, no, they are not Happy
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy