Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snow Blades - Cool or uncool?

Poster: A snowHead
Helllo,

well my friend and i have been having a disagreement on whether snowblades are cool or uncool.
i say uncool, he says cool.

arent proper skis just way better?

so just thought id ask all you fellow skiers and snowboarders:)

thanks! Very Happy
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Undoubtedly un-cool!!

Especially when they're grabbing at your jackets and standing on your skis in the lift queues!

I don't think I've seen anyone use them with any amount of style.

Then again, I've never tried using them.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Uber uncool as they say on Top Gear Skullie
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
neither.

Doesn't matter as long as your enjoying yourself on the white stuff!!!

snowHead snowHead snowHead
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Uncool...

End of! Toofy Grin
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
jollykay, cool! like tank-tops, reliant robins and zits - nerds rock!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
super uncool Toofy Grin
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Uncool.
And I have tried it!

I'm sure it was invented by someone who just stole some small kid's skis?

However as no snow in swindon said, its better than nothing!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Some people may find them fun, but they are definitely not cool. Cool

snowHead
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Someone tried to jump into Corbets Couloir with blades on. Made a hole (or two holes) and broke both ankles. Cool if he'd made it, but actually idiot.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
My dad used blades for a day last year (much to my disgust!) and he horrified me further by talking about converting to a full-time blader Shock
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I vote cool, simple reason I own a pair of 1.2m Salomon Blades (with bindings, you'd have to be mad to try them without) - great for messing about with on the mountain and really really good for practice.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Cool, I have a pair of salomon pro sb blades which are great fun on/off piste and the park. I also have a pair of rossi fs scratches which are also great in the park and on the piste.
Suppose it's just whatever rocks your boat.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Uncool, I hired them once, took them straight back to the shop after one run, they felt so unstable at anything over 5mph!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Uncool

I've tried too.
snow conditions
Seriously incredibly uncool.

I mean, honestly.. rolling eyes

NehNeh
ski holidays
Nuff said
latest report

http://youtube.com/v/SYDAauh2vkQ

Despite that I'm not a fan of them.
latest report
mark_s, he doesn't look cool though..

I'm sure he can do pretty much all of that on skis as well and also look awesome. Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
Uncool and, more importantly, crap!
latest report
UNCOOL-French chavs bombing around out of control............................... Twisted Evil Evil or Very Mad
snow report
Its much harder to ski blades well (than skis). So cool. Let down by loads of d.ckheads who use them. Not cool.
snow report
why are they not cool?
latest report
Completely uncool, reserved for CHAVS!
ski holidays
I'm ssweating just thinking about how uncool it is to have to even ask!
snow report
Don't care whether they are cool or not, according to my kids I am not cool on my skis or board either, but as long as I am going down hill with blades, skis or board on my feet then I know its going to be fun snowHead
snow conditions
you never see old gits on them Laughing so i suppose asking a bunch of 40 year old skiers this question is a bit pointless Very Happy
snow report
I've had a few older gentlemen come in the shop for blades but it's mainly french teenagers.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
stab, exactly cool French gentlemen or cool french teenagers Laughing not fat old 'tuck position' skiers wink
snow report
Totally un-cool.
snow report
Not cool as such, but some years ago, two days on them helped me to finally get rid of the stem turn, which I'd been battling with for years. Got back on my skis after, and voila, the blading eureka moment meant I could then ski parallel on my skis too!

Probably could have acheived the same with very short skis, but blades worked for me, for that particular job.

Haven't used them since though Laughing !

D
snow report
Deliaskis, well done! As a teaching / leanring tool, great. As a permanent tool for using all day every day, I'm less convinced
latest report
luigi, said
Quote:
I hired them once, took them straight back to the shop after one run, they felt so unstable at anything over 5mph!

That's because you didn't know how to use them. Have to be kept on edge, unless you're doing 360s, they're carving machines. I can assure you that it is possible to do fairly insane speeds on piste on blades, in control. But only if you're good. You should see my good-looking 21 year old skateboard fanatic 6' nephew on them. Cool? Definitely. Many skiers, especially those who tend to stand on the back of their skis, or who clutch their poles like a safety blanket, would benefit enormously from a few days on blades. Those who've never used them, of course, are likely to be the biggest know-alls about them. wink

Not everyone on blades is cool. Not everyone on skis is cool. Not even everyone on a snowboard is cool. It's the man, not the machine.....

And, of course, if you worry about being "cool", you're definitely uncool. Bigtime. Really cool people don't ask themselves....
snow report
They're fun and a good training aid. I don't care whether other people regard me as cool or not on the odd session I use blades. Toofy Grin
latest report
pam w wrote:
Quote:

That's because you didn't know how to use them.

Yeah you're right, but first time on them you're not going to launch yourself down a steep red carving wide arcs with gloves touching the snow on the inside of each turn. In the meantime, you feel like you're going to topple forward or back and snap your legs just above your boots. I just didn't want to waste good skiing time persisting with it when it felt so nasty.
snow conditions
pam w, I agree, as well as elimating my stem turn, they also helped me to move my weight forward, stop twisting my body back towards the mountain, and to improve my arm position. It was a useful two days!

D
ski holidays
luigi, my eldest has clocked 60 mph on blades!

It shouldn't take long to overcome the sensation of toppling: by getting into the balanced position that you should be on skis! The forgiving longer skis keep you upright, but you're sacrificing control and efficiency if you're fore/aft balance is not right. This is one of the reasons why I think blades are a good training aid.
snow report
Only the un-cool would give a damn! wink
latest report
pam w, agreed. Anybody who has stability problems with blades, short skis, carving skis or any ski with a pronounced sidecut probably doesn't know how to carve.
ski holidays
Cool uncool, what's it matter? I've seen various contraptions on the slopes that look decidedly odd at times, but the main thing is people are having fun. While away on my last trip a couple of friends of mine tried them, one got on really well and I suspect is now a convert, the other didn't take to them (and she's a very good skier before anyone asks). One thing that became apparent being that if you suffer from knee problems, blades are probably not going to do you any favours. Apparently they tend to highlight any lumps and bumps on the slopes.
A word used earlier in this thread was style, and I do think that when it comes style, watching a good skier coming down the mountains takes a lot of beating.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy