Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Taking a 14month old on long haul flight

Poster: A snowHead
Big G,

many thanks for all the info...

Quote:

The only problems will be if you leave it until the kids are in pain/discomfort before getting them to try and equalise.

That's where we've been going wrong...
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Big G, Not sure where you got your info from but the copy of the Airbus A320 maintenance manual I have in front of me states that pre presurisation takes place on transition from ground mode to take off mode. This transition happens when when amongst other preconditions the throttles are placed in the take off position so it will happen on the runway at the start of the take off roll.

The reason behind this is not to have a shock pressurisation as the aircraft rotates, it will also prevent a shock demand to the engine pnumatic bleed system on take off as well.

The aircraft pressure than falls from ambient as it climbs but the aircraft still pressurises relative to external pressure. There are 2 main factors that have to be taken into account regarding pressurisation, Cabin alltitude which will be allowed to climb to a max of 8000ft relative to sea level. If the cabin climbs above this then the sequence of events is visual warning to crew, aural warning to crew and if they take no action and allow the cabin pressure to continue to climb auto deployment of the oxygen masks. The other factor is the differential pressure limit. I cannot recall exactly but this must not exceed approx 7.75PSI, it will vary from type to type. If this is exceeded then there are various checks that need to be completed including if it is severe the overtime list Toofy Grin

As the aircraft climbs it is never sealed, there is a constant flow of air through the cabin to maintain air quality. The pressurisation is controled by 1 or 2 outflow valve that restrict but never prevent the flow of air. There are other valves depending on type but these are the 2 main.

I have no hard facts in front of me just now but am fairly certain that some types like the A330 will pre presurise on taxi out.

hows this for thread creep of the year Smile Smile
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

Cabin alltitude which will be allowed to climb to a max of 8000ft relative to sea level.

I thought the pressure at 8000ft would be a drop, rather than a climb from sea level pressure?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
abc, Your correct, as alltitude increases the pressure drops. We talk in terms of cabin alltitude, the aircraft may be at 36-41000ft but the cabin will be pressurised to a pressure the equivelent to 8000ft, if the relative cabin alltitude climbs the pressure will therfore decrease and vice versa.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
[quote="Joanne Mountainsun"]
When I came back from Venice last March I actively looked for the man who had pushed me at the bottom of the plane steps when I got on - and to his horror plonked myself + five month old child next to him. Perhaps next time he's pushing people around he'll think twice!I've never heard an airline announce "there are 150 people booked on this flight and only 145 seats - everybody....RUN NOW!" Very Happy

Laughing Laughing

bet he felt great
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
When we took our oldest son to Australia at three months old, the cabin crew suggested we give him a bottle during ascent and descent, so that the natural swallowing allowed the ears to pop. We stopped over in Singapore on the way there and somewhere else on the way back, so we had eight pressure changes to cope with, and not a problem with any of them. We took him again when he was three and a half, and kept giving him swigs of water and again had no problems, no crying and no upsetting other passengers.

We've flown with both our boys ( though never long haul since then), and driven them to the Alps numerous times, and they've always been perfect travellers. It's even better now - they can share the driving. Very Happy

It's all about planning and keeping them entertained, and about having kids who don't whinge. Basically - it's all down to the parents being thoughtful of the children and respectful of other travellers.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Anyone flying to Vancouver tomorrow lunchtime with Air Canada?? Very Happy

Then sorry, you've got my two boys on the 'plane for a tad over 10 hours. One is 6 (years) and the other 9 (months). If you start grumbling, then what I can do is come over with them and make sure you've got something to complain about. Twisted Evil

But if you are nice, I'm sure they will be nice to you to. Very Happy

[Past experience says the elder will be stuck into his DVDs for the whole flight, whilst the little one will just sleep/cuddle mummy.]
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
RobW, have a great time- hope you get to sit between abc and lizzard!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
RobW, hope you had a good and easy flight and have a great time in Canada ! You might have got on the plane that we had just got off as we arrived back from Vancouver today. I'd just like to add that all the children and babies on the plane were "well behaved" and apart from the occasional wail it was very peaceful. Little geetee travelled well (as always) and slept for at least 5 hours. Now if only the people in front (adults) hadn't reclined their seats right back for the whole flight it would have been very enjoyable.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

Now if only the people in front (adults) hadn't reclined their seats right back for the whole flight it would have been very enjoyable

Puzzled
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
abc, well OK maybe not "very enjoyable" Laughing but at least more comfortable.

Seriously though, we have travelled to Whistler every season with our daughter since she was born and have never had a problem with her crying the whole way on any flight. When she was very little she would sleep for most of the way back and a good part of the way out whereas now she likes to watch the TV or her DVD player for most of the outward flight but still sleeps a lot on the way home. We've always taken plenty of things to amuse/feed/clothe her including her grobag up to the age of 2 (baby sleeping bag for those who might not know what that is). When she was very small we always gave her a drink on take off and landing and she has never suffered from sore ears. I've only been on one flight where a baby cried for just over half of it and I felt sorry for the parents rather than annoyed at them.

Sorry, please excuse the jetlagged ramblings. Off to bed now.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Gilberts Fridge wrote:
Big G, Not sure where you got your info from Smile

My info comes from my father who was a senior flight engineer on long haul jets for BA. He did retire a few years ago now so things may have changed with the newer jets, but he always told me that the cabin was allowed to equalise with the external air pressure until the aircraft had ascended to an altitude of 8-10K feet, at which point the cabin pressure was then maintained at that level until the aircraft descended below that altitude on descent.
I suppose they pre-pressurise nowadays to create a pressure differential on the ground that can then be controled as needed throughout the flight...makes sense really. Thanks for this info, I am happy to stand corrected.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Big G, Pure speculation on my part but this could be connected to the demise of the flight engineer, ensure the system is working before take off to minimise the chance of a fault and therfore crew workload in a critical flight phase.

Its a bit ironic that Boeing and Airbus invested so much in technology to do away with the Flight Engineer but longer flight times now mean the authourities require three or even four pilots for the longer sectors.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

Its a bit ironic that Boeing and Airbus invested so much in technology to do away with the Flight Engineer but longer flight times now mean the authourities require three or even four pilots for the longer sectors.

No, I think it makes even more sense. Instead of have to supply two set of 3 flight crews, they only need two sets of two.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I'll reserve judgement on this issue until mid March, by which time our first family ski trip will be complete! It's only to France, but I'm dreading the journey. The Elder Little Snowplough (5 and a half) has the attention span of a bored goldfish. I wouldn't be surprised if the plane is forced to land before we even clear UK airspace. Very Happy The Younger Little Snowplough (just 4) will play happily on her GameBoy for hours on end, though, and won't be a problem.

I think I'd sooner pick my fingernails off with pliers than go on a long-haul flight with small kids - mine included!
latest report
The Flying Snowplough, welcome to snowHead

Little geetee (aged 4) has completed 6 return long haul flights to Vancouver with all my fingernails intact. Just take plenty of things to keep the older one amused and maybe have a surprise hidden away to give to them at the other end if they have been good. Nothing like a good bribe, eh? Have you got a portable DVD player? Would he watch a film all the way through? That would probably be most of the flight.
snow report
Geetee,

We have a portable DVD and a GameBoy each. They are a lifesaver on long journeys. I fully believe in bribes as well. Smile I just hope they both like skiing when we get there!
latest report
The Flying Snowplough, We have done France now 3 times with 3 kids. They were 3, 4 and 6 first time. Its not as bad as you think as it is all quite exciting though I fully encourage the bribery strategy. wink Cool
ski holidays
On the subject of long haul flights with small children / nightmare journeys: A friend flying back from LA to Munich. The plane had just lifted off for its twelve hour flight when his four year old got explosive diarrhoea which lasted for the entire flight Shocked Shocked
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy