Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Taking a 14month old on long haul flight

Poster: A snowHead
So who's done it? How did it go?

Any tips? Car seat in the cabin or not?

Does anyone have experience with specific airlines, especially budget ones like Zoom?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
libby, unless you have a separate paid seat for the baby I guess there wouldn't be anywhere to put a car seat? Try to organise things to have as much sleeping time as possible (the baby's, that is; you won't get much....). Have their regular food handy. You could ask your doctor about sedation...... (for you and/or baby!!). If your baby is walking, that's much easier than an energetic crawler; you can at least take them for little walks to talk to any passengers nice enough not to snarl at the very sight of a baby. I travelled a lot, long haul, with kids over the years, and I always make a point, these days, of being friendly to little people on planes. The most baby friendly airline I ever used was Ethiopian Airways; the pilot and co-pilot carried my two tired, fractious, hot, snotty, little lads to the plane after an unscheduled 8 hour layover in Addis. You don't get that service from British Airways....

It's a mission. When I did it, it was work. We never did it for pleasure, with our own money, I must confess!

Travel with breastfeeding babies is a doddle. Once they are mobile everything becomes much more tricky.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
libby, Lock yourself in a loo in your house for the period you are due to fly to get used to the experience Shocked Laughing
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
good luck Mad
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
just spare a thought for the people that you are sitting next/near too... theres nothing worse than a constantly crying baby thats not your own!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.

http://youtube.com/v/vmCvCxljQ4g&feature=related

'nuff said. Twisted Evil
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

Car seat in the cabin or not?

Puzzled

If there's a crash, it won't make any difference one way or another.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
daveqpr, exactly what I was thinking. Nothing wrong with a well behaved baby flying long haul, I just wouldn't want to be in the same section as one that wasn't (and if it's a sleep time long haul flight, you certainly wouldn't be popular).

Good luck if you go for it.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
libby,
I have taken babies and toddlers long haul loads of times. Not recently though as the kids are older. Best advice I can give is to try and arrange the flight for when they are asleep anyway so they sleep during the flight. Ours usually did anyway.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Did this with #1 son at various ages. After about 6 months old, paying for a seat and using a car-seat *is* necessary for long-haul: we've got a 10hr flight on saturday with #2 son and at 10 months there is no-way we'd want him on our laps for that long.

Ignore any other passengers who complain: they are only jealous. We only had 1 complaint in about half-a-dozen long-haul flights - and that complainee got moved to another seat which gave us extra space!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

... is almost certainly an act of monumental selfishness. It's not fair on the baby and it's not fair on other passengers. And unless your personal circumstances are very unusual (emigration? Family reunion?), it's not necessary. Ski closer to home this year and learn some patience. You can always go long haul when the kids are older.

Do I sound intolerant? Evil or Very Mad
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Ignore the naysayers, we took both our kids to Canada every year from 5 months until we emmigrated last year with them ages 12 and 8. Neither have ever been a serious problem for us or them or other passengers. A 14 month old will probably sleep most of the time and when they are not sleeping then you can play with them as you would at home or walk them up and down the plane. Most difficult ages in our experience were 2 to 3 when boredom set in and it was harder to find things to entertain them when they were awake. Then after that age they are usually able to amuse themselves a little more with games, movies, gameboy etc. We always went with Air Canada, you pay more, but you don't seem to get so many delays at airports which can more stressful for all concerned than the flight, also they now have personal video on demand for every passenger, although that won't help at 14 months!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
We have just returned from Tignes. The 3 hour transfer was much worse than the flight and quite frankly I was at my wit's end. The children were noisy, unruly, electronic computer games were blasted out just inches from me. My head was splitting by the time I got off the coach! I have 4 children of my own although older now but we never took them skiing or long haul until they were of a sensible age 7 up when they could look after themselves and be considerate to other. Quite frankly by the time the trip was over the parents were completely frazzled shouting at children and each other! What sort of holiday is that!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I blame the parents.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
i have spent a 12 hour overnight flight to mauritius with someone's baby crying for the full 12 hours, and i have also taken my kids on a long haul flight at the ages of 18 months and 3 yrs old. To be honest they were pretty good but due to ridiculous tiredness, painful ears etc. they did cry for the last hour of the flight, luckily it was a flight to florida so was full of crying kids.

To be honest if the parents are doing their best to amuse the kids and keep them well behaved i don't think anybody minds if a child cries or gets a bit unruly, it's the parents that sit their knocking back the booze with their headphones on completely ignoring their kids unruly behaviour that gets peoples backs up.

I would suggest though paying the extra cost and booking a seat for the infant, there would be nothing worse than a child on your knee for the full flight. we paid for one for my 18 month old and it meant we had the full 4 seats in the middle to spread out across and it meant they had their own table for snacks and coloring etc. another tip we had was to take lots of little activity type things (playdough, colouring etc. and we wqrapped them up and gave them out at intervals which passed the hours with a bit of excitment.
latest report
paulio, I blame society

libby, go for it. Only 2 kinds of air travel, first class and with children. Done it a few times including transatlantic. Usually our kids have slept better than us. Combination of portable DVD, favourite cuddly toys etc etc has always worked. Eldest did have torrential diarrhoea during final approach to LGW once, youngest decided to top this another time by vomitting all over me. Take spare clothes for all involved.
snow report
libby, I haven't done long haul with little ones but did find that a quiet word with cabin crew asking for some 'space' as breastfeeding used to work quite well as you wouldn't want to 'offend' other passengers wink
latest report
I've taken my kids to Australia twice at that age. I can only speak for BA, but they need to sit on your lap for take off/landing, then with BA they will supply a cot or a seat like a car seat that sits on the fold down table on the bulkhead.

Obviously you need to ensure you are booked into the bulkhead seat!!

Take at least one change of clothes with you, on one trip my youngest split milk all over her on the short shuttle from Manchester to London!!

Regards,

Greg
latest report
daveqpr wrote:
just spare a thought for the people that you are sitting next/near too... theres nothing worse than a constantly crying baby thats not your own!

and

skisimon wrote:
daveqpr, exactly what I was thinking. Nothing wrong with a well behaved baby flying long haul, I just wouldn't want to be in the same section as one that wasn't (and if it's a sleep time long haul flight, you certainly wouldn't be popular).

Good luck if you go for it.

Are you joking with those reponses?!!! How can a baby who has sore ears and doesn't understand what's going on be described as "well behaved" or "badly behaved"?!!!

Maybe the two of you need to spare a thought for the parents who have to sit there with the child while inconsiderate tut tutters look on. Maybe "there's nothing worse" than having to sit next to someone like that...

Older children who misbehave I completely agree - the parents should try to anticipate and control that but a baby is a baby, there's only so much you can do guys, have a little empathy.
latest report
Book... First or Business....hang the cost it's worth it for the dirty looks alone.. Toofy Grin

Nothing pees business men off on a long haul flight like kids..
latest report
Quote:
theres nothing worse than a constantly crying baby thats not your own!

yes there is. A constantly crying baby that is your own is much worse, because it's your responsibility to try to solve whatever problem is causing the baby such unhappiness.

Quote:
Nothing pees business men off on a long haul flight like kids..

right. I travelled transatlantic business on my own, with breastfed baby. Woz a doddle; just ignored the looks and baby - six months old - was good as gold. Never squeaked.
snow report
nightshift wrote:

Maybe the two of you need to spare a thought for the parents who have to sit there with the child while inconsiderate tut tutters look on. Maybe "there's nothing worse" than having to sit next to someone like that...

You've given the game away, I'm afraid - even the parents know what a pain it is taking tiny babies on long-haul flights. You have a choice - don't do it. Don't be so selfish.
ski holidays
empathy to babies on a 13 hour trek in economy.... are you mad!!!
latest report
nightshift, those parents chose to impose their children on other passengers, those passengers did not choose to have other people's kids on the flight.

In discussions with this parents with young kids always have kids who are perfectly behaved, yet when I fly I see kids chucking toys around, screaming, kicking the seat in front, and so on. On a flight to Barcelona the mother of the brat sitting behind me told him that if he didn't stop *I'd* tell him off. Sorry love, that's your job: it's your sprog, you deal with it and teach it some consideration for others.
ski holidays
hyweljenkins, i am inclined to agree that the modern parent does spend too much time kissing their kids backsides instead of belting them...
latest report
Jonny Jones wrote:
Quote:

... is almost certainly an act of monumental selfishness. It's not fair on the baby and it's not fair on other passengers. And unless your personal circumstances are very unusual (emigration? Family reunion?), it's not necessary. Ski closer to home this year and learn some patience. You can always go long haul when the kids are older.

Do I sound intolerant? Evil or Very Mad

Yes you do! Not everyone only flys to go skiing!
ski holidays
Is there any other European country where this discussion could be taking place? If it's not bladers, or people who wear one piece ski suits, it's babies. Shocked
latest report
pam w wrote:
Is there any other European country where this discussion could be taking place? If it's not bladers, or people who wear one piece ski suits, it's babies. Shocked

Precisely - intolerance in abundance!!
snow report
 brian
brian
pam w wrote:

yes there is. A constantly crying baby that is your own is much worse, because it's your responsibility to try to solve whatever problem is causing the baby such unhappiness.

Spot on. I love being sat near noisy babies to remind me that I'm past that stage and it's somebody else's problem. (Deeply relieved sigh smiley).

I remember doing a 2 hop short haul back from Nice with my younger son aged about 16 months when he had just had a bad cold. It obviously went for his sinuses big time, by the final descent into Edinburgh he was hoooowwwwling. Embarassed
ski holidays
I'm a single parent, and need to travel a bit with work and what have you. What's amazing is when you're on a budget airline with no allocated seats - they let people with children through first but while you're stood there trying to hold the baby and fold up the buggy people run at the plane - pushing you aside so they can get on in front of you. IF they just held back a minute and let you on FIRST (as good manners and common sense would dictate) they would be able to see where you were sitting, and thus avoid you!

When I came back from Venice last March I actively looked for the man who had pushed me at the bottom of the plane steps when I got on - and to his horror plonked myself + five month old child next to him. Perhaps next time he's pushing people around he'll think twice!

I've never heard an airline announce "there are 150 people booked on this flight and only 145 seats - everybody....RUN NOW!" Very Happy

And no - THERE IS NOTHING WORSE THAN YOUR OWN CHILD CRYING!
snow report
Quote:

those parents chose to impose their children on other passengers, those passengers did not choose to have other people's kids on the flight.

Following on from that logic, can I choose how I want to have on the flight with me? I've been on flights with drunken idiots imposing themselves on me and certainly wouldn't have chosen them.

Its a means of transport that anyone can use, as such you have to accept there may be babies, children, other passengers, staff that you don't like.
ski holidays
Joanne Mountainsun,

Quote:

"there are 150 people booked on this flight and only 145 seats - everybody....RUN NOW!"

Well, close - 3 planes from the SAME travel company on the runway at greek holiday island - 2 for Gatwick, 1 for Manchester. Been sitting there for ages, seen bags being moved - rumours going around - flight(s?) to be cancelled? . . .

Tannoy Annoucment "Would all passengers with children please report to X" - Result chaos as three airplanes worth of frantic parents headed off to X and all the rest of us looked at each other like this Twisted Evil
ski holidays
Boris wrote:
Quote:

those parents chose to impose their children on other passengers, those passengers did not choose to have other people's kids on the flight.

Following on from that logic, can I choose how I want to have on the flight with me? I've been on flights with drunken idiots imposing themselves on me and certainly wouldn't have chosen them.

Its a means of transport that anyone can use, as such you have to accept there may be babies, children, other passengers, staff that you don't like.

agreed. I'm stunned at the intolerance that some people have displayed. Maybe it's the Italian/ Irish in me, that I love kids but believe me I don't particularly enjoy sitting listening to a screaming baby on a flight or anywhere but I've never ever thought "oh, what selfish parents they are with their badly behaved infant". A sympathetic smile or maybe even an offer of assistance is a far more likely response from me.

I'm not a parent yet but I certainly won't be putting my life on hold when I am and stop choosing any means I damn well choose to travel to anywhere I want to, baby in tow.
latest report
skitrack wrote:
Joanne Mountainsun,

Quote:

"there are 150 people booked on this flight and only 145 seats - everybody....RUN NOW!"

Well, close - 3 planes from the SAME travel company on the runway at greek holiday island - 2 for Gatwick, 1 for Manchester. Been sitting there for ages, seen bags being moved - rumours going around - flight(s?) to be cancelled? . . .

Tannoy Annoucment "Would all passengers with children please report to X" - Result chaos as three airplanes worth of frantic parents headed off to X and all the rest of us looked at each other like this Twisted Evil

Well, I'd say it's very rare indeed! And even then, pushing people with babies and complaining of the children being allowed on the flight in the first place isn't going to change anything!
snow conditions
Quote:

I certainly won't be putting my life on hold when I am and stop choosing any means I damn well choose to travel to anywhere I want to, baby in tow.

I take it I can slap your brat when it squeals in my ear though? Fair's fair.
ski holidays
 brian
brian
nightshift wrote:
agreed. I'm stunned at the intolerance that some people have displayed.

I'm not. You can pretty much guarantee that these are the same greeting faced so and sos that bang on and on about their taxes being used to fund education etc. Yeah, great idea, you keep the money and see what good it does you when the economy totally tanks with a zero-skilled workforce. rolling eyes
latest report
 brian
brian
Lizzard, if you want to it to scream even louder, that seems like a great move.
snow report
Red Leon wrote:
You've given the game away, I'm afraid - even the parents know what a pain it is taking tiny babies on long-haul flights. You have a choice - don't do it. Don't be so selfish.

You're 100% right!

Parents (me included):please stay at home, do not take your kids on any trip/outing that might involve any proximity with any non-consenting adult... If you think that the cultural, physical, social, general knowledge benefits a trip could bring to the child itself or its family might be tainted by a difficult journey..think again, don't be selfish..stay at home....
...and put the kid in front of the TV...much better!

Of course all those "non-consenting" adults were model kids and absolutely never showed off their parents....good on them...
ski holidays
 brian
brian
Kruisler, great point. Couldn't they just lock "it" up in a cupboard* or something ?

*soundproofed, natch wink
ski holidays
brian, do you have any real idea of how enraging that rising high-pitched squeal is? At least in a supermarket you have the option of leaving.

I can see that a viable society needs to be putting its collective resources into raising useful adults (though if what I read in the news is any indication, I'd suggest that the UK appears to be falling down on that one), but I suggest that the mere fact that people have managed to breed does not exempt them from showing a bit of consideration to the rest of us.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy