Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

POLL - Who wears helmets and when?

What do you wear on your head whilst skiing/boarding?
Wouldn't catch me on the slopes without a helmet
63%
 63%  [ 218 ]
I'll wear one when the going gets tough or I need to set an example, but not all the time
15%
 15%  [ 53 ]
Think of me as thix (thixotrophic that is!!). Gel based protection here (or similar)
0%
 0%  [ 2 ]
Beany there and done it - can't beat a warm woolly beany
11%
 11%  [ 40 ]
Real skiers/boarders do it unprotected from the elements - that's me!
6%
 6%  [ 24 ]
I'm thinking about it (while I still have a brain)
2%
 2%  [ 8 ]
Voted : 345
Total Votes : 345

Poster: A snowHead
I think helmets are fine if you're doing some serious off-piste but on piste i feel they just have the effect of making people feel they are safer than they are and skiing more recklessly .. a bit like the fact the 4x4's altho' safer in an accident are actually involved in a higher percentage of accidents.

I was in Saalbach a couple of weekends ago on a steepish, crowded, icy piste and when i was very nearly taken out from behind by a guy skiing way too fast for the conditions .. he had some fast carving skis and was wearing a helmet and all the gear but he was no where near as good as he thought and it was only luck he only caught me a glancing blow instead of a full on impact ... would he have been skiing so dangerously if he didn't think he was so well protected ??

I think he might have been English as he apologised in a decent accent after i chased and him and gave him some abuse ... short guy, wearing dark/black kit with a grey beard .. if you're on here mate .. get some lessons rather than all the kit !!!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
RichA, I have to say I have seen this analysis a few times on here (not just from you so this isn't a personal attack!) and I don't really understand it. People don't say the same thing about cyclists or horse-riders who wear helmets. There are prats in every walk of life, those who think they're better than they are, attempt more than they should, or don't bother to try and get to grips with something that would make them better/safer at what they do.

However, I don't get that skiing prats become more dangerous in helmets than they were without. Prats are prats, they're sometimes dangerous. I don't really think helmets have anything to do with that.

I rode horses for about 17 years, and never felt that wearing a hard hat let me ride more dangerously. I was brought up knowing it could at times be a dangerous sport, and therefore a hard hat was worn. Similarly, I don't think my H rides his mountain bike more recklessly now he wears a helmet. He has just assessed that there is at any time a risk of a fall and he wants to take steps to try and limit the harm he might come to.

I don't see why helmet-wearing skiers are any different TBH, it is a choice an individual has made. I don't think that helmet-wearing prats are indicative of a trend of skiers becoming more prattish when they start wearing helmets.

Not a personal attack by the way, I have just read this a few times and have never understood it Confused .

Happy sliding, with or without a helmet snowHead !
D
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Voted for no.1 but thats my own personal choice and I would never judge anyone for their decision to use one or not. But now when it comes to the outfit choice ... that's whole different ball game
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
DebbiDoesSnow, My mate wears a helmet and a 10+ year old all in one............... Shocked Razz
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
thefatcontroller, Isn't the 10 year old a bit big for a backpack?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
boredsurfin, Boom, boom, you been reading the Bruce Forsyth joke book again... wink Laughing No one should even attempt to crack a joke today in honour of David's quip on the forum addiction thread. Pure gold Laughing
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
thefatcontroller, Laughing

Why oh why does peoples sense of dignity leave them when they hit the slope
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Interesting... we seem to have much higher use than I see on the slopes. Or the non users are just fed up with the topic.

On Saturday, skiing very fast through big trees with sometimes split second decisions on which gaps to go for - found myself thinking .... should I have a helmet on?

PS Didn't get the thixotrophic one...am I thix?

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Wed 30-01-08 14:41; edited 3 times in total
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I wear a helmet but I wouldn't say you wouldn't catch me on the slopes without one - I'm not that zealous! snowHead But I do wear it every time I ski, so there you go! Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
DebbiDoesSnow, Sadly he thinks he looks good Shocked Shocked . Have removed his face as that would not be fair Laughing
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
thefatcontroller, firewall has blocked it so will have to see the offending article when i get home. Hope it lives up to expectations Razz
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
DebbiDoesSnow, I'll take a sickie and get home quick Laughing Laughing
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Dont wear one, Although I'm considering it.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Have recently started wearing one after getting into freestyle. If I was just cruising around on-piste I wouldn't bother.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Are the above comments about helmets or all-in-one fartbags?
ski holidays
DB, yes sorry Embarassed slight deviation off topic after a comment I made
snow conditions
DebbiDoesSnow wrote:
DB, yes sorry Embarassed slight deviation off topic after a comment I made

No it wasn't your comments I just couldn't work out why Christopher and Mark S were openly admitting considering getting a one piece in public. Maybe they do freeride fartbags now. wink
snow conditions
DB, it did read like that didnt it Laughing

I blame the FatController for the suit diversion
latest report
Deliaskis, no offence taken and I hope none (about to be) given.

I think you're assuming eveyone is like you and fairly sensible. I'm not saying everyone turns crazy when they don a helmet but there undoubtedly a number out there who do use them as a fashion/cool accessory and think if they're wearing helmets and body armour they must be s*** hot skiers when they're not. I actually know people like this and always make sure they're in front of me. There is also the issue of losing peripheral vision and therefore be coming more dangerous to others.

On a separate note, it'd be interesting to know what percentage of people are hospitalised as a result of skiing accidents have hurt their head .. I've been skiing almost 20 years and don't remember ever hearing of anyone doing so ... are less people hurt these days now that helmets have become fashionable ?? .. I doubt it.
latest report
DB, Laughing

I was referring to helmets. Although I was skiing with someone wearing a one-piece...
evidence and clearer evidence

(It's the boarders fault we were sitting there. Honest Smile)
latest report
RichA wrote:

On a separate note, it'd be interesting to know what percentage of people are hospitalised as a result of skiing accidents have hurt their head .. I've been skiing almost 20 years and don't remember ever hearing of anyone doing so ... are less people hurt these days now that helmets have become fashionable ?? .. I doubt it.

I suffered concussion an eye injury and seven stitches when I fell whilst not wearing a helmet.

To quote from ski-injury.com:

Quote:
If you look at the incidence of head injuries on the slopes, most studies show that the overall incidence is about 10-20% of all injuries. Put another way, for every 10,000 people on the slopes on any particular day, no more than three people will sustain a head injury requiring medical attention. Fortunately, of all these people with head injuries, the majority (90%) of the injuries are minor - i.e. cuts, abrasions, and minor bumps. That leaves the remaining 10% having what's known in the business as a Potentially Serious Head Injury - hereafter known as a PSHI. This class of injury includes (suspected) skull fractures, all episodes of unconsciousness and major open head wounds (including penetrating injuries) - all rather nasty.

The rest of the article is well worth a read.

snowHead
ski holidays
mark_s wrote:
DB, Laughing

I was referring to helmets. Although I was skiing with someone wearing a one-piece...
evidence and clearer evidence

(It's the boarders fault we were sitting there. Honest Smile)

some skiers will do any thing tp get in with the dudes Laughing
ski holidays
Glad neither of us are offended then RichA, but I still think that prats don't need helmets and body armour to think they're s**t hot skiers and thus behave/ski like prats, they do it anyway, all by themselves!

Thank you for assuming I am sensible though wink !

Happy sliding snowHead
D
snow report
Sage, would you have had the same or similar injury wearing a helmet though? I remember talking to a university lad (on my second ever trip) who had a broken cheek bone and black eye caused by a low flying boarder, and when I suggested a helmet might have protected him, his reply was that he had one on at the time he was hit Shocked it is possible the inside/front edge of the helmet acted in a way to catch/deflect/direct the board in to the face whereas without one the board might had just skidded across the face
snow report
rayscoops, it was more a case of 'I don't really fancy sitting on my own at the side of the piste like a good boy for 10 minutes' NehNeh

Edit:
Although having said that, one of the boarders was pretty fit (and female)...wink

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Wed 30-01-08 16:45; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Only when tucked up in bed!
snow report
mark_s, I meant the sitting down bit (not the middle of the piste bit), never seen many skiers as chilled as you look Laughing
snow conditions
rayscoops, I've thought about that and I don't think it would have been as bad - if I had been wearing one, the top of the helmet would have hit the snow first instead of my face, my sunglasses caused the cut and eye injury. It might also have helped the concussion.

It was years after that incident that I started wearing a helmet, though.

snowHead
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I always wear mine, it's very comfortable. I don't mind what anyone else does really, it's their business - if you really don't like it and it spoils your fun then fine, don't bother! No skin off my nose. I also have a tiny pin-like head so I think I look better with one Laughing
latest report
rayscoops, It is also possibl that without the helmet, he would have been hurt even more.

RichA, If you look at the thread titled something likle "please, please wear a helmet" you will find reference to a recent head injury involving hospitalisation of icogskino's son.
ski holidays
RichA,

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=33495&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=please&start=0
latest report
Sage, wearing goggles may have been better than a helmet

whilst learning to board (1st and second trip) I had no protection at all, and really bashed myself up and landed on my head a few times, from the third trip onwards I wore a helmet and had some heavy slams especially falling on my heel side with my head being whip lashed on to the hard pack - in this case my helmet almost certainly saved me from splitting my head open, also had some face plants that ripped my goggles off. Since then my technique has become better and as such the falls are limited more to slides rather than the 'missile launch' type falls - I have not landed on my head since Very Happy . I left my helmet at home for the last trip becasue I could not fit it in my bag and neither felt safer nor in more danger without it, if anything I was slightly more cautious in how I approached my riding.

Ultimately having something on your head to limit the impact with something harder than than your head is a good thing, but agin it is down to choice. When I think I am going to fall I now generally try to pick a comfy looking skier to land on Laughing
latest report
rayscoops, that's because most of them are too busy worrying about the correct glove technique and whether their skis and boots match Laughing

Sage, it's funny you should mention that. I was talking to a women in a ski shop who mentioned that her sister messed her face up quite badly due to wearing sunglasses. She had a very strong opinion that goggles are a lot safer in the event of a crash/fall. Ironically she said she doesn't wear a helmet though rolling eyes
latest report
My mum wouldn't let me ski if I didn't wear one.
ski holidays
Megamum wrote:
B.t.w. I don't think the poll is biased in either direction. There are only 2 answers out of 5 that real hard hat wearers can pick.

But the wording of those "un-biased" answers are clearly biased.

Quote:
Also, I think the silent majority are voting - there are more votes cast than snowheads who have added to this thread. I would have thought that reverse psycology would apply to the non-helmet wearers and if they read a poll where they were losing that this might encourage them vote - the fact remains that helmet wearing is still the most popular choice amongst Snowheads who have bothered to vote here.

That's just a load of assumption to justify something that aren't! You "assume" everyone thinks like you ("reverse psychology")? Have you heard of "non-participation"? Maybe the non-helmet wearers don't want to be used as fake data of a pre-conceived study?

I didn't vote because I HATE the implication. I wear one NOT because I believe ANY of your "safety motivations". BTW, I would have voted on the "occasional" (neutral) and wouldn't have added any weight on either side.

Not having any vested interest in the outcome, I still find the poll biased.
snow report
mark_s wrote:
rayscoops, that's because most of them are too busy worrying about the correct glove technique and whether their skis and boots match Laughing

Sage, it's funny you should mention that. I was talking to a women in a ski shop who mentioned that her sister messed her face up quite badly due to wearing sunglasses. She had a very strong opinion that goggles are a lot safer in the event of a crash/fall. Ironically she said she doesn't wear a helmet though rolling eyes

it's funny you should mention that! Laughing ...

....because my mates were asking me why I was not wearing my Oakley Juliets (strong metal allow frame) instead of my goggles a couple of weeks back.
Well apart from the fact that I had to sell an arm and a leg to acquire them and did not fancy risking doing any damage to them when stacking it, the idea did cross my my mind that they could actually be quite dangerous if falling and somehow hitting my face/head on something... Quite a scary thought actually cos' the glasses are mightily strong and I suspect I would come off worse... Confused

So goggles for me...always...
snow conditions
abc, Its hardly a MORI poll is it !!!! I don't think Europe is going to make legistlation from this
ski holidays
abc, go on, do not hold back, say what you really think wink Laughing
snow report
DebbiDoesSnow, it's true it's not a serious poll. But it's clearly biased. Though that is quite fine for snowheads.

But magamum actually believe it's NOT biased. Hence her defense of her choice of answers. I found that a bit self-cerntered.
snow conditions
abc, I have to agree that the questions didnt cover all the options but it would takes a Fence Sitter to come up with unbiased questions and there ain't many of them on here wink
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy