Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

POLL - Who wears helmets and when?

What do you wear on your head whilst skiing/boarding?
Wouldn't catch me on the slopes without a helmet
63%
 63%  [ 218 ]
I'll wear one when the going gets tough or I need to set an example, but not all the time
15%
 15%  [ 53 ]
Think of me as thix (thixotrophic that is!!). Gel based protection here (or similar)
0%
 0%  [ 2 ]
Beany there and done it - can't beat a warm woolly beany
11%
 11%  [ 40 ]
Real skiers/boarders do it unprotected from the elements - that's me!
6%
 6%  [ 24 ]
I'm thinking about it (while I still have a brain)
2%
 2%  [ 8 ]
Voted : 345
Total Votes : 345

Poster: A snowHead
OK, there's been an awful lot of discussion on whether wearing helmets is right, wrong, indifferent, should be advocated, not advocated, rammed or not-rammed down peoples throats/onto their heads (or elbows Puzzled ), so here you are - the chance to for us all to assess whether, as a group, we do or don't wear them. Don't forget all the why's and wherefors are being done on the other thread - lets keep it to the vote here eh? (Well, it's an earstwhile thought - but I know this place rolling eyes ) Ray Zorro is going to shift this to the piste for me so you might want to wait until it gets there before leaping in - Edit: Thanks Ray, vote away folks

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Tue 29-01-08 21:05; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Megamum, i think there's an option missing. I don't wear one but "wouldn't catch me..." isn't right. I just don't wear one - how about a simple "no"
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
don't wear one (never have) but looking into getting one maybe snowHead
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
holidayloverxx, Then you want the last option I think - Real skiers/boarders do it unprotected from the elements? That sounds like you doesn't it wink
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I wear mine all the time, but wouldn't say I need it all the time.

I just prefer it to a hat tbh.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Too complicated.

Should have been: always, never, sometimes. Leave all the fake "motivations" out.

I didn't vote, "when I feel like it" is missing. Could at least use a "None of the above" option.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Tue 29-01-08 21:13; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The wooly hat one for me.

I probably should wear one, but just haven't got round/been convinced yet.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
My mum says to wear a helmet, we leave them with the lifties
Helmets are for mummys boyz
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Started using a helmet when I started to dabble on the Darkside, now the kids are skiing n boarding it's an example I have to set.
Primarily I wear one coz I'm self employed and if I bang me heed and am off work I am up the creek without a paddle. Confused

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Wed 30-01-08 23:35; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
abc, I was trying to make it fun.

Don't worry this will be my first and last poll judging by some of the comments above.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I wear one all of the time on snow.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I'm wearing mine right now. Cooking can be dangerous.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Flip Crawford2 wrote:
My mum says to wear a helmet, we leave them with the lifties
Helmets are for mummys boyz

Brain injury is for all those that want it Laughing
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
hyweljenkins, But have you looked at all the options? Laughing
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I always keep my helmet to hand................ Embarassed Embarassed
latest report
Bought one specifically for a race a few years back. Never done a days skiing without it since.
snow report
Megamum wrote:
abc, I was trying to make it fun.

Don't worry this will be my first and last poll judging by some of the comments above.

Good try, then. I'm not good at being funny. So when in doubt, I always remind myself "Less Is More".
snow report
Megamum wrote:
holidayloverxx, Then you want the last option I think - Real skiers/boarders do it unprotected from the elements? That sounds like you doesn't it wink

not quite, I have a "rat hat", that is a furry trapper thing - I don't like a cold and wet head wink
snow conditions
thefatcontroller, do try and rememebr that Flip Crawford2 is very young.......and I hope his mummy reads his post Twisted Evil
ski holidays
holidayloverxx, Who R U
do you know my mum? where is she now?

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Tue 29-01-08 21:47; edited 1 time in total
latest report
boredsurfin, of course, but I decided that bra & pants wouldn't protect me from splattering cooking oil.

thefatcontroller, Toofy Grin
snow report
Good effort Megamum - well its distracting me from doing my tax return anyhooo rolling eyes
snow report
thefatcontroller, brain damage is from skunk not skiing, helmutz is for kidz in skool and grown ups that wanna look stoopid
ski holidays
holidayloverxx, OK, yes I don't cater for a rat hat - I think I know the sort of thing you mean. I guess if you want to play you're probably in the 'beany' class with descriptive reservations Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
hyweljenkins wrote:
boredsurfin, of course, but I decided that bra & pants wouldn't protect me from splattering cooking oil.

Shocked Laughing I thought Hywel was a blokes name, you just have to be so careful on t'internet Shocked
ski holidays
Once you actually have one, not wearing it becomes stupid. I'm not risking my second favourite organ.
snow report
Flip Crawford2 wrote:
thefatcontroller, brain damage is from skunk not skiing, helmutz is for kidz in skool and grown ups that wanna look stoopid

B , s , s , ch , to, u. There you go son, knock yourself out.
snow conditions
Cunners wrote:
Once you actually have one, not wearing it becomes stupid.

Rubbish.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Cunners wrote:

Flip Crawford2 wrote:

B , s , s , ch , to, u. There you go son, knock yourself out.

Yup you MUST wear one
latest report
Why? It's no bother and it's not as though it does much good sitting at home. Seatbelt analogy.
snow conditions
Never seen the need for myself and still don't, I don't do anything radical.
latest report
Cunners, It can be uncomfortably hot, it reduces peripheral vision and muffles hearing. If you're spending as much time looking behind you and up the hill, teaching for example, the benefits are negligible and the disadvantages are a pain in the proverbial. Wearing a helmet is about managing risk as best you can - if you are at very little risk of an injury which a helmet would prevent/reduce and there are some noticeable disadvantages it become foolish to wear one.
snow report
T Bar wrote:
I don't do anything radical.

Isn't that the point though, its not just you, it the person that smashes into you or have you not spotted the others out there on the slopes??
latest report
Flip Crawford2, have I got the wrong person? Embarassed
snow report
thefatcontroller,
It seems rather unlikely although not impossible that someone will ski into my head. I don't wear a helmet when walking the streets or crossing the road with all the poor drivers though either.
ski holidays
T Bar, There we are then. No point is there............No chance in this world someone is going to crash into you and cause you to fall..................... rolling eyes rolling eyes Laughing Laughing
latest report
Rob- I really don't find heat a problem. It may well be because I've worn a lid cycling for years, including a full face for DH, so that my brain is as steamed as it's ever going to get and I'm acclimatized.

I don't believe the vision point though, and it's about as muffling as the peruvian bushwhacker hats that everyone seems to have these days Toofy Grin Also the slopes these days are full of stoned illiterates who I wouldn't trust to safely negotiate their local 24hr garage in search of pringles, let alone navigate round a mountain without collateral damage, plus there's the vin chaude crowd on hypercarvers Laughing Risk assessment Shocked
ski holidays
thefatcontroller,
As a matter of interest do you wear your helmet when walking the street or driving the car?
ski holidays
T Bar, Your point is................. rolling eyes rolling eyes Laughing Laughing
latest report
Cripes, the arguments don't just go round and round, they creep from thread to thread, and circulate on each one. How is it possible for so many people to say so many of the same things so many times?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy