Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

POLL - Who wears helmets and when?

What do you wear on your head whilst skiing/boarding?
Wouldn't catch me on the slopes without a helmet
63%
 63%  [ 218 ]
I'll wear one when the going gets tough or I need to set an example, but not all the time
15%
 15%  [ 53 ]
Think of me as thix (thixotrophic that is!!). Gel based protection here (or similar)
0%
 0%  [ 2 ]
Beany there and done it - can't beat a warm woolly beany
11%
 11%  [ 40 ]
Real skiers/boarders do it unprotected from the elements - that's me!
6%
 6%  [ 24 ]
I'm thinking about it (while I still have a brain)
2%
 2%  [ 8 ]
Voted : 345
Total Votes : 345

Poster: A snowHead
Hurtle, Your point is ............ rolling eyes rolling eyes Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
My point is that I am more likely to suffer a significant head injury in my car than skiing, I choose not to wear a helmet in either place though neither is risk free.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hurtle, Well, I kind of knew that the request I put in the OP wouldn't be read/remembered rolling eyes
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Rather more shamefully I have broken a promise to myself not to be drawn into another helmet debate. Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Cunners, the reduced vision might not be an issue or even noticeable for you; it is for me. The helmet I wear most of the time muffles my hearing by a noticeable amount. Yes, the risk of being skied into is a very real one, but I judge it be be a fairly small risk (I've never been hit, not even a close shave, in the 100+ weeks I've been on snow). I fully accept that your risk assessment is different from mine, and for you buying a helmet and leaving it at home is a foolish thing. But for me there are certain circumstances when it is right to go without it, so calling that decision stupid is wide of the mark.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
rob@rar, I find that the helmet I wear is more comfortable than a hat. I certainly don't experience the disadvantages that you state, but then that is just my helmet and personal experience.

And the two worst ski injuries/crashed I've been involved in is where I've been standing still. (Albeit I was quite little.)
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I might wear a helmet if I saw a giant spiky hedgehog rampaging round the pistes. Toofy Grin
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Laughing

I wear a helmet for everyone else's safety.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
just bought a helmet, it's a personal preservation issue for me, I want to live to a ripe old age and keep what few brain cells I have in as good condition as I can snowHead
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
rob@rar,
Quote:
The helmet I wear most of the time muffles my hearing by a noticeable amount.

Pardon wink
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I always wear a helmet while free skiing and teaching.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Would love to go unprotected but with no hair that's not an option so it's a woolly one for me. Can never understand all this health and safety stuff, wear this you might get hurt type of thing, I can understand in certain circumstances that a helmet could be advisable but a little risk is what life is all about. rolling eyes
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Polls should be unbiased. The available answers seem to me to be biased in favour of helmets. I don't wear one but I do not agree with any of the available answers. So I have not voted.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Megamum - what have you done ????
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Adrian, Actually, I suspect that the bias is due to those who wear helmets wanting to show off how sensible they are while those who don't just don't care.
ski holidays
T Bar wrote:
My point is that I am more likely to suffer a significant head injury in my car than skiing, I choose not to wear a helmet in either place though neither is risk free.

I don't know if you have noticed but your car most likely has many airbags, side impact system, oh yeah and seat belts....I think of it more as to whether I would cycle on the slopes in the summer without a helmet on. Would you Confused snowHead
snow conditions
Megamum, I think your poll was a good idea, and I like the attempt to make it humorous.

The results does perhaps suggest there are a lot of of snowHeads who are just getting on with using lids without bothering to argue about it on the forum.
snow conditions
David Murdoch, yip, the silent majority Laughing these types of polls never work
ski holidays
I don't care in the slightest whether other people wear helmets, but since I started it feels entirely natural. I started wearing a helmet for ice climbing but not rock climbing, started mountain bike racing (15years ago) so had to wear one for that - so it became second nature to wear one on a bike - I never ride a bike without now. I started skiing 3 years ago, without a helmet, but when I realised how fast you can go (and how much potential there is for crashing) it seemed sensible to get a helmet. I now also wear a helmet for most rock climbing and via-ferrata-ing. Maybe I'm just getting cautious in my old age (though work colleagues think I'm madly reckless!), but I made positive decisions to wear helmets, not influenced by knee-jerk reactions.
latest report
rayscoops, The real poll is what you see on the slopes and we did a straw poll when in Les Arcs in January and we would say it was only at about 15% wearing helmets (excluding kids) though we did see kids without them and with their parents rolling eyes rolling eyes
ski holidays
In terms of the poll accuracy in representing snowHeads I guess you should look at how many have logged on during the running of the poll. From observation of discussions and EOSB photos etc. I would guess on average that snowHeads wear helmets more than average for British skiers. This is fine by me, the only thing that grates slightly is the attitude that those who do not wear helmets are stupid/ignorant.

thefatcontroller,
Quote:

I don't know if you have noticed but your car most likely has many airbags, side impact system, oh yeah and seat belts....

In spite of which people manage to kill themselves in large numbers. wink
ski holidays
T Bar, and I'll bet that driving a car is safer than skiing based upon the number of cars on the road etc...Though skiing on the road is probably dangerous and oh yes bad for the base of your skis rolling eyes Laughing
ski holidays
If it is cold and I would need a hat then I wear my helmet. I am a HOT person and need to expel heat through my bonce and the helmet does not allow for this. I did think that Espace Killy was a dangerous place to ski last week, and that was a very quiet week. Lots of careless, thoughtless, selfish and dangerous people just looking to have an accident.
latest report
Frosty the Snowman, a helmet on my bonce in March/April is hell for me, being of the HOT variety too Very Happy
latest report
 monster77
monster77
I where a helmet every day

cos I ride a motorbike Very Happy
ski holidays
I am also HOT stuff ( although some might argue sweaty and smelly) but do wear my helmet even when it's March/April as an effective means of multi-tasking ( Ski & Shower).

Only just read this thread :-

'Helmets are a fashion item ! ' Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
' Helmets make people more reckless' rolling eyes rolling eyes Another scientifically-based 'myth'

...and yes the poll wording is biased towards us helmet-wearers ..
latest report
I've never worn one up untill now. Had 1 or 2 bumps on the head on snow last year, so this year I'll be wearing one. I do get a hot head (like Frosty the Snowman, and rayscoops, but I'm hoping that the vents will allow a decent amount of air to get through.

Also, this year we are going with BIL and his 7 year old son - it'll be the little 'uns first time skiing, so he will have a helmet too. I guess another reason to wear mine is to set a good example to him.
ski holidays
Agenterre, the poll is probably representative regarding snowHead snowheads, but not regarding the general public.

I suppose then the results suggest what we all already knew ....... that .........middle aged/class lardy ski fanatics are more likley to wear lids Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rayscoops, don't you think the silent majority is more likely to contribute to a poll than a forum discussion?
latest report
Hurtle,

I am starting to see your point about my post in the other thread!! Laughing
latest report
rayscoops, I think keen skiers are more likely to wear helmets. When I go on my holiday to PSV I will see hardly any helmets worn by the French punters. When I go to Hoch Ybrig (locals only) it probably runs at more than 50%.
snow conditions
nessy, they just do not give a hoot, apart from the addictive argumentative types Very Happy

are you saying the French as a nation are not keen skiers wink
ski holidays
 brian
brian
You come out of the airport via the Route Douanieres. Immediately turn right and go through the Ferney-Voltaire border into Switzerland (buy the vignette here if you want to use the Swiss motorway) and follow your nose until you hit the A1. Take direction "Lausanne" for Swiss resorts, "France" for France.
snow report
helmets and hangovers don't mix... apart from that I wear it - but if someone said I had to I wouldn't...
snow report
rayscoops, no I am saying one week a year holiday makers are not necessarily keen skiers whether they be French or British
snow conditions
Megamum, as someone who designs questions for a living, you answer categories could be better! I wear my helmet nearly all the time now. I like to go fast and do jumps on and off-piste so I think a helmet is vital for me. Most snowheads I know never do jumps and don't go that fast so they might think they do not need one so much. However as someone who also knows a little about neurology, any sort of brain injury including short term concussions can have long term damaging effects on the brain.
latest report
I always wear one if you dont want to that is your choice after all it is you melon and you can do what you want with it! Very Happy Its very simple people live and let live
snow report
stoatsbrother, Thank you!!

B.t.w. I don't think the poll is biased in either direction. There are only 2 answers out of 5 that real hard hat wearers can pick. Also, I think the silent majority are voting - there are more votes cast than snowheads who have added to this thread. I would have thought that reverse psycology would apply to the non-helmet wearers and if they read a poll where they were losing that this might encourage them vote - the fact remains that helmet wearing is still the most popular choice amongst Snowheads who have bothered to vote here. That's all the poll shows - a CHOICE, it doesn't imply whether the people making that choice are right wrong or indifferent, it just shows that a lot of snowheads who could be bothered to vote have weighed up things in their own mind and have arrived at the decision to wear a helmet.

In fact 100 so far is a good poll I should think amongst snowheads that post regularly - I didn't expect as many as that to contribute, but then I guess a poll is often seen as a fun thing to contribute to as we don't have that many. Thank you to everyone that has cast a vote and added a comment.
snow conditions
thefatcontroller wrote:
T Bar, and I'll bet that driving a car is safer than skiing based upon the number of cars on the road etc...Though skiing on the road is probably dangerous and oh yes bad for the base of your skis rolling eyes Laughing

I did the sums for myself a couple of years back based on the figures of deaths per kilometer travelled from the DOT and the best guess mortality rates per skier visit from the publications available. For myself it turned out I was roughly 10 times more likely to be killed in a years driving than a years skiing. It would be a lot easier to have a helmet kept in the car than to lug one to and from the slopes, as it is I choose to do neither and accept the small possible (excluding for me the likelihood that I would indulge in risk compernsation behaviour) risk that this entails.
snow report
I can't answer because "Haven't worn one before, but thinking of getting one" isn't there Smile

All the options are only valid if you eiter have a helmet, or you don't want one.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy