Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Damn EastJet - Boots as hand luggage - who to believe....

Poster: A snowHead
Ok, I've seen various posts on here about EasyJet and ski boots as hand luggage. Some say yes, some say no. I'm travelling from Bournemouth to Grenoble in April - I'm sure I've seen posts here that suggest that both of these airports forbid boots as hand luggage. Being bloody minded (a snowHead prereqisite isn't it?) I thought I'd email them being as specific as possible -

I have 2 questions that I have been unable to answer on your website I'm afraid.

1 - Assuming that they fall inside the permitted hand luggage size restrictions, is it ok to have Ski Boots as hand luggage from Bournemouth and Grenoble, or will they need to be checked into the hold?

This was the answer -

Response (Marie Kelly) 29/01/2008 11.50 AM
Dear Mr XXXXXX,

Thank you for contacting us.

I am happy to confirm that easyJet does offer a very generous hand baggage allowance. Each passenger can carry one item of hand baggage, with no weight restriction, although you must be able to lift it into the overhead locker unassisted.

I am happy to confirm you can take your ski boots on as hand luggage.

So that baggage can be stored safely in the overhead locker, the dimensions cannot exceed 55x40x20cms.

So, do I believe them and pack accordingly, or would I risk having a nightmare at each airport and have to repack my hold luggage?

AAAARRRRGGGGHHHH!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
IMT, Depends whether or not you get a 'jobsworth' who insists they are 'sports equipment'! I'd suggest putting them in a holdall type bag rather than a boot bag Very Happy Just returned from a Ryanair flight, i put boots in hold luggage purely because we had room, but many people had boots as hand luggage.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
IMT, check with the airport. It's not the carriers making the ski boot rules but airport security.

Someone here must know the Bournemouth rules & Grenoble rules wink snowHead

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Tue 29-01-08 14:52; edited 2 times in total
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
IMT, At Grenoble Airport on Sunday there was a message on the easyjet booking desk screens saying that helmets and ski boots were forbidden in hand luggage.

I realise that I am only clouding the waters Crying or Very sad
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Just swap the contents of your hand luggage with items from your hold luggage if requested. Decide beforehand what you will swap around, job done.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
IMT, At Grenoble Airport on Sunday there was a message on the easyjet booking desk screens saying that helmets and ski boots were forbidden in hand luggage.

Yeah they were all over departures, not just at easyjet.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
And now for Bournemouth Airport. Are they one of the Airports where security bans them (as at Stanstead for example)?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Ah, what you can put in your hand luggage. It isn't rocket science so how can airports and airlines cock it up so badly. Bunch of prats! Evil or Very Mad .
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
IMT, we flew Easyjet from Bournemouth (but going to Geneva) just before Christmas. We had packed our boots in our hold luggage as we weren't sure about this issue, but I saw several people carrying boot bags (which I therefore assumed had ski boots in them....). Security at Bournemouth seemed quite easy going, possibly because it is such a small airport without the mega queues of Stansted but I would check with the airport itself.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I know one of our group had boots as hand luggage on return from PSB in November from Grenoble with Ryanair.

I also had boots as hand luggage on flights from Venice and Girona in the last month with Aer Lingus and Ryanair respectively.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowball wrote:
And now for Bournemouth Airport. Are they one of the Airports where security bans them (as at Stanstead for example)?

Bournemouth airport IMHO the best airport there is - (Shame they are about to start building a proper terminal building to replace the Portakabins Sad )

The security people there are indeed nice and easy going but don't upset them Toofy Grin

We were in the queue behind a particularly obnoxious woman and equally grotty children who were all making it rather obvious that they were carrying bottles of water,) having walked past two bins to dispose of them and several signs.) when the first Security lady very nicely informed them that they would have to go back to one of the bins and throw the water away the mother denied she had seen the signs and therefore would take the bottles onto the plane. Needless to say she then had to turn out every item from their bags and pockets take shoes off and were very slowly patted down whilst we all walked straight through Very Happy

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Tue 29-01-08 15:22; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Frosty the Snowman wrote:

I realise that I am only clouding the waters Crying or Very sad

Mmmm, that's what I thought. I'm sure someone else (south coast based) had said the same about Bournemouth.

Think I'll email the airport directly and see how many different responses I can collect. I'm sure we can mess about with the hold luggage, but it's just easier to carry them on.

Bloody annoying though isn't it! Why can't there be a difinitive answer to this ongoing question. If every airport/security/airline just agree either Yes or No, it would make much more sense. I don't even care if they all say No, just be consistent...........
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
IMT, There is a definitive answer - stick 'em in the hold
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
IMT wrote:
Why can't there be a difinitive answer to this ongoing question. If every airport/security/airline just agree either Yes or No, it would make much more sense. I don't even care if they all say No, just be consistent...........

Then just assume No. Then it doesn't really matter if they do allow them. It's not like you are going to be travelling with hand baggage only.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Guvnor wrote:

Very Happy True, but why not make that the same answer for ALL airports, rather than the seemingly random answers that are around.
snow report
Guvnor wrote:
Absolutely.....and take gear out of your case and put it in a another bag that satisfies the hand luggage size restrictions.
snow report
IMT, print out the email and take it with you. If you get stopped at security, go back to check in and show them the email, insisting that they check them in for free.
snow report
IMT, are you thinking of Bristol - they have banned ski boots as hand luggage
snow report
Well here's another to throw into the mix:

Birmingham airport last week:

Was with a friend who had boots as hand luggage. Thompson checkin desk said fine. Went through to security and they said no, and they had never let them through, and that most of the airlines forbid them. Was late for the plane so in the end they let them through. Got on the Thompson Fly plane and the cabin staff said they've never had a problem with boots and the company has given them no direction on it.

I told him beforehand to pack them in his case like i did mine and just carry clothes on in hand luggage rolling eyes
snow report
Just put them in the hold - problem solved.
snow report
Always put boots in hand luggage - at least when travelling to resort!

Hand luggage is for valuable stuff that you would be screwed without if the airline loses your hold luggage.

Let's face it, any of us could go and hire/buy replacement clothing, skis, poles, camera etc etc. But boots?

Why would we put so much time and effort into having boots professionally fitted, and breaking them in, if they were not the most important part of our ski-kit, and literally irreplaceable at short notice if luggage goes astray?

There is absolutely nothing on the BAA websites to say you can't put ski boots in hand luggage, so stand your ground and be prepared to argue that your boots are just as important as the laptop that suit ahead of you is carrying on.
latest report
An important point to consider is that it is security at each airport that decides what or what not to allow through as hand baggage, now given that you wouldn't be allowed to carry on say a house brick I can't see many of them allowing you to carry on ski boots, after all they are likely to be far more dangerous than say tweezers.

Easiest answer however is to phone up the airport and ask
ski holidays
PaulClark, not all airports are BAA
ski holidays
holidayloverxx wrote:
IMT, are you thinking of Bristol - they have banned ski boots as hand luggage

As per the OP, I'm flying from Bournemouth.

As for the "put 'em in the hold" crowd - yes, I can do that if I need to. It's easier not too, as PaulClark says, I'd really rather that my boots didn't go missing. (Yes I know only a very small % of stuff goes missing, but it did happen to my golf clubs some years ago on the way back from Portugal, so I know what a PITA it can be)

Awaiting an email from Bournemouth Airport now.
snow report
If they say you can print it off so you can show it to security as communication is generally useless between departments in regards to this matter.
ski holidays
IMT, slighty O/T but security made me put contact lenses into the clear bag in my hand luggage last time I flew. These are the disposables ones with approx 1ml of saline in blister pack - I had 10 lenses.

Me - "that's new, I've never had to do that before"
Security "Liquid innit"

I don't really care either way - I had a clear bag, in went the lenses - but why this time and why not the other n times I've flown since these regs started?
ski holidays
D G Orf wrote:
An important point to consider is that it is security at each airport that decides what or what not to allow through as hand baggage, now given that you wouldn't be allowed to carry on say a house brick I can't see many of them allowing you to carry on ski boots, after all they are likely to be far more dangerous than say tweezers.

Yes but with that logic they should not allow humans on board as they could cause serious damage with their teeth, fists, boots, head...

I have never heard of anyone being mugged by a ski boot wielding thief! snowHead

The only place I ever had problems with hand luggage was Melbourne and most snowheads won't be going their with ski boots! But what will security do if they refuse them in the cabin - will they bin them????
latest report
WestJet are probably more with it wink
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Boots are, in general, heavy, unwieldy items, and no-one would want them dropped on their head or toe......therefore stick 'em in the hold.

WRT luggage not arriving in resort with you, I would suggest that you will have more concerns than just your boots - no clean clothes (ski or apres) no wash kit, no medication (for those who require it), in fact, nothing at all. I would like to see the person who travels with either a wife or children who can stand at the carousel as it stops and breathe a sigh of relief that at least they have their ski boots. Come on, hands up....
ski holidays
Quote:

Boots are, in general, heavy, unwieldy items, and no-one would want them dropped on their head or toe

Should a distinction be made with Snowboard boots as they are light, comfortable and soft? Surely they can't be used as weapons! Toofy Grin
snow report
Guvnor wrote:
Boots are, in general, heavy, unwieldy items, and no-one would want them dropped on their head or toe......therefore stick 'em in the hold.

WRT luggage not arriving in resort with you, I would suggest that you will have more concerns than just your boots - no clean clothes (ski or apres) no wash kit, no medication (for those who require it), in fact, nothing at all. I would like to see the person who travels with either a wife or children who can stand at the carousel as it stops and breathe a sigh of relief that at least they have their ski boots. Come on, hands up....

I don't generally carry boots in my hand luggage. But last week I did (multiple transfer, bad weather == good chance of luggage missing). I managed to put in my carry-on a pair of boots, half of ski binding (don't ask me why), AND 1 FULL set of clean changed clothes, top to bottom, inside and out. Not to mention wash kit and all the usual medication.

And when the security openned it at the check point and took much of the items out for swashing (due to the half binding), I was able to re-packed them and closed the lid without any drama.
ski holidays
Guvnor, all of that is largely irrelevant on the first day. Washkit unnecessary, as hotel will probably have usual stuff in room, and a toothbrush won't break the bank. If the bags are lost for longer other stuff can be bought with the compensation the airline/insurance will give you for lost luggage (OK possibly not certain medication). Well-fitting ski boots cannot. I now travel in full ski gear with boots in hand luggage -if all my luggage goes missing I can still go skiing on the first day no problem, I divert via the hire shop, and an evening still in ski gear won't kill me. Concern level only need rise above absolute zero if nothing's turned up by end of the following day.

Train your wife/children to get their priorities right.
ski holidays
Quote:
so stand your ground and be prepared to argue that your boots are just as important as the laptop that suit ahead of you is carrying on.

Yeah, that makes sense.
snow conditions
IMT, we travelled from Bournemouth with Easyjet last year and they had a sign up saying "No Ski Boots in Hand Luggage". My son also had to remove his snowboard bindings from his hand luggage too. Whether or not this has been relaxed I couldn't say. Confused
snow report
Quote:

I can't agree with the reasoning of this. I have a thick plastic carry-on sized case that when full can weigh 15kg. I'd rather have boots fall on my head than that.
latest report
Airports, airlines and government bodies all independently can and do set hand baggage requirements --- consistency you ask ? -- Look at the players involved ! rolling eyes
ski holidays
Agenterre, Exactly. Easyjet allow boots as hand luggage yet Bristol airport bans them........ rolling eyes Laughing
snow report
Agenterre, Indeed. I'll let everyone know what Bmth airport say in due course.
snow report
Jobsworths!

It is not the fact that there are rules for increasing safety that irritates, it is that the rules do not make logical sense and are also applied inconsistently. Were it seriously a matter of ensuring no passenger had any item with which they could injure another all manner of things would be banned, such as shoelaces (garotte!) and sharp pointed sticks masquerading as pencils.

I have been told by Easyjet that boots are fine in hand luggage, but Luton airport haven't replied! I will probably take the suggestion made on another thread of carrying my footbeds in hand luggage as they're the bit I can't easily replace, having twice been tweaked to fine-tune the fit since making - the boots, I could as they're still a current model. Surely no Jobsworth could find a reason to ban footbeds? Only thing is I am not sure how fragile they are, so not sure how best to pack them in hand luggage.
ski holidays
Chri$, I would very much rather have neither fall on my head rolling eyes
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy