Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

SKI SUNDAY 7PM BBC2 20TH JAN 08

Poster: A snowHead
johnboy, Cool you are lucky then! Sunday's 7-8 will be fairly enjoyable for you!

cathy, Yes it seems that Eurosport is needed ... grrr more expenses.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Bode Swiller wrote:
............And all that stuff about the Trans Siberian Express! There is no such thing (ask a Russian)

A Russian I knew very well indeed told me there was indeed a Trans Siberian Railway, which he clearly thought of as a specific route. As now it ended in Valdivostok; originally the other terminal was Chelyabinsk, I think.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
dear oh dear, hasn't Ski Sunday caused some unhappy teddies. rolling eyes
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
plectrum, I think you can get Eurosport on Freeview - but I could be wrong! Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
plectrum,

All I can say, is I found it entertaining, with the added bonus of the foxy Fiona Bruce next week. Very Happy
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
it was purely an attempt to make it more mainstream hence on at 7pm rather than tucked away at 4ish. Didn't really work for me, bit too much like a cross between the holiday programme and old ski sunday given a arty/top-gear star in a reasonably priced car type format.

I think a few people might have 'bought' it but a dedicated skier probably as shown above.....no chance.

I would have thought a simple format of 40mins race footage, 20 mins lifestyle/features/equipment/resorts/technology/technique would be fine.

Anyone remember ski tips from years gone by? kind of atempted to do the lifestyle bit...ram that into Ski Sunday and i reckon you have a balance Laughing

Channel 4/Eurosport are a mile ahead of BBC in pure race coverage though rolling eyes
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
cathy wrote:
plectrum, I think you can get Eurosport on Freeview - but I could be wrong! Toofy Grin

Not without paying extra for it, and I think the Top-Up TV service is designed more for Euro-football as it only broadcasts in the evenings.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
plectrum, sorry if it came across that way - but you do seem really serious about what is an hour of light entertainment. This is the way the world has gone. You don't watch top gear for serious car reviews,and you don't expect serious ski coverage on BBC2. Press the red button or watch eurosport. The ski sunday of the 1980s has gone. Thats all.Of teh 1.3 million people from the UK who will ski this year, I suspect less than 10% really care about competitive racing.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
skinutter wrote:
Channel 4/Eurosport are a mile ahead of BBC in pure race coverage though rolling eyes
That's because the BBC doesn't have the broadcast rights for WC racing. It's the new format or nothing as far as I can tell. But what's wrong with having racing on Ch 4/Eurosport and 'lifestyle' or 'aspirational' skiing on the Beeb?
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thought the 7pm slot was much better as well, right after dinner. In past season's it was difficult to know what time it was on at. I am usually busy on a sunday afternoon, so the new slot suited well
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I thought the general format was ok, however a little too much time on the journey accross Russia. But the rest was fine, I think its good to have a mix of lifestyle and just ski racing. But then again any program showing the breathtaking scenary of the Alpes in my eyes is worth watching Smile
Still this time next week I will be in Les Arcs so wont be watching Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
johnboy, As i have said .... cool, enjoy it. I will keep watching for the small amount of racing even if i think the rest was ... yawn. I would have preferred real geology talk when discussing mountain formation, more discussion on Siberia and Russia as a potential world renowned ski area for the future, more actual ski coverage whether leisure or racing and obviously more racing.

The Eurosport option is fair but BBC is my free service and Biathalon, Ski Jumping, Snow Boarding, WC Skiing, Luge, Toboganning etc etc have a place within BBC televised sport either via a grandstand style programme or on a winter sports programme such as Ski Sunday.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
rob@rar wrote:
skinutter wrote:
That's because the BBC doesn't have the broadcast rights for WC racing. It's the new format or nothing as far as I can tell. But what's wrong with having racing on Ch 4/Eurosport and 'lifestyle' or 'aspirational' skiing on the Beeb?

I'd rather see mountains than beach and beats antiques roadshow and the usual Sunday pm kak so its fine for me Laughing
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
stoatsbrother, fair enough Wink
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
achilles wrote:
Bode Swiller wrote:
............And all that stuff about the Trans Siberian Express! There is no such thing (ask a Russian)

A Russian I knew very well indeed told me there was indeed a Trans Siberian Railway, which he clearly thought of as a specific route. As now it ended in Valdivostok; originally the other terminal was Chelyabinsk, I think.

Yes, you can get on a train from Moscow and end up in Vladivostok, but there's more than one route and even more than one station in Moscow you can leave from. I've done a third of it ending up in Siberia and came back a different route. "Trans Siberian Express" suggests there's a particular train on a particular route but basically all trains that cross Siberia are trans Siberian. Nobody boasts about doing the West Coast route when going to Manchester. Anyway, he could have flown and saves us all from the agony as Lufthansa go direct from Frankfurt to Yekaterinburg... and (edit) bmi now go direct from H'row for £400 return.

Chelyabinsk is only about one sixth of the way across and only just in Siberia.

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Sun 20-01-08 22:33; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
plectrum wrote:
The Eurosport option is fair but BBC is my free service and Biathalon, Ski Jumping, Snow Boarding, WC Skiing, Luge, Toboganning etc etc have a place within BBC televised sport either via a grandstand style programme or on a winter sports programme such as Ski Sunday.

Channel 4 is free also. Surely the BBC doesn't have to cover every (minority) sport when other FTA channels can share the load?
ski holidays
rob@rar, guess so, I used to really enjoy BBC coverage of winter sports tho
latest report
plectrum, I think the Ch 4 stuff is better than the old Ski Sunday, although by no means perfect. The advertorial from each resort is particularly annoying.
snow conditions
If they had said - here's a programme vaguely related to skiing, and you can watch the race coverage via the red button, then maybe people might be a little more tolerant........ and hi-jacking the ski sunday name for 3rd rate dumbed down tosh was well out of order.
snow report
I thought that what I saw this evening was reasonably entertaining, but they probably could have done themselves a favour and come up with a new name for the show as Ski Sunday it aint....
snow report
ooo austin7, just beat me to it wink
ski holidays
rob@rar, I haven't wtched ch4 yet when is it normally on? Such a shame as 7pm pon a Sunday would have been perfect to watch 60 mins of beautiful ski racing! The skill, poise and balance is absolutely awe inspiring and the essence of what it take to ski well down a slope .... just look and learn!
latest report
Approx 8am on a Sunday morning, then repeated in the early hours of Monday night/Tuesday morning IIRC.
snow conditions
rob@rar wrote:
Approx 8am on a Sunday morning, then repeated in the early hours of Monday night/Tuesday morning IIRC.

feck so no chance of watching that then. It was hard enough to get up this mornign for the Championship to see my team covered as the main game
ski holidays
plectrum, tape it?
latest report
rob@rar wrote:
plectrum, tape it?

Generation X wink

I no longer have a tape machine and not rich enough for a HD or DVD recorder
snow report
Does anyone know if they plan to repeat said programe?
snow report
plectrum wrote:
Generation X wink

Born in the 1960s or 70s?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
kartman, BBC iPlayer should have it tomorrow for download I would have thought?
ski holidays
rob@rar, 78 ...
ski holidays
johnboy, I'm with you on this one, a vast improvement on the recent editions of ski sunday, this new format will appeal to the many thousands of leisure skiers, probably a bit too much of that racing but there again thats available on so many other channels these days. Good to see the BBC doing it's bit to promote summer tourism in the mountains as well. Very Happy
ski holidays
plectrum, well that makes both of us Generation X Wink
snow report
boredsurfin wrote:
johnboy, I'm with you on this one, a vast improvement on the recent editions of ski sunday, this new format will appeal to the many thousands of leisure skiers, probably a bit too much of that racing but there again thats available on so many other channels these days. Good to see the BBC doing it's bit to promote summer tourism in the mountains as well. Very Happy

Oh god Shocked
ski holidays
cathy, I'm with you on that.... cut our the train stuff and the rest was enjoyable.
ski holidays
Speaking as a ski-TV hardcore, and I watch almost exclusively sport on TV, who saw all of it today: C4 in bed at 7.45; Eurosport coverage from Cortina this morning and the new Ski Sunday, I thought that C4 had the best balance for skiers. As for SS, as an experienced novice myself, I enjoyed the cook guy learning to ski better and blanched a bit at the archive wipe-outs. I also thought the summer context was relevant and OK. Snowboarding in Siberia...... no. For a prime time programme aiming at a general audience, I though it had a reasonable balance. At least there was nothing like that idiot Clarkson.

I'd give it 6 out of 10!

snowHead
snow conditions
awksquawk, could not see a sports section on the iplayer, so it seems the unmissable is still! Perhaps it's due the t.v rights on the racing part of the show?
latest report
Thought it was a nice concept. But... the Siberian thing was dragged out far to long (especially the train journey), and we only got about 15 seconds of wintersports in that section (I can't bring myself to type snowb**rding). It would definitely have been nicer to have had a lot more racing, but overall I liked the format of mixing racing, adventure and technique (well, sort of).

Whilst crashes/injuries are, as a rule, fairly distasteful, their use to show the challenge/danger of the Streif (linked to the inside the heads of a World Cup racer bit) was, I felt, acceptable. The continual replaying of previously used clips however was not really required though.
snow report
too much focus on crashes, too long focussed on train journey, but overall I enjoyed it as a magazine/lifestyle programme with the ski racing as a part ...not integral though, it felt like some kind of spectre at the feast, didn't quite belong. I think there is some confusion over the target audience.
snow report
plectrum wrote:
stoatsbrother, Whats the AZ?

Apres Zone (another forum on Snowheads).
snow conditions
What Chris Bish said, only I'd give it 8 (quite liked the siberia stuff). Also unlike Clarkson, at least Bell speaks from knowledge and can ski better than your average presenter. snowHead
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy