Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

SKI SUNDAY 7PM BBC2 20TH JAN 08

Poster: A snowHead
Goto channel 403 freeview, some skiing on there Smile
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
rob@rar, What r u trying to say about Snooker its life on the edge ..... well edge of unconsciousness anyhow.

If the crash never happened I wouldn't wish it to just so that I could feel entertained but ingeneral crashes are very entertaining, especially the guy in the yellow who did about 25 cartwheels down the slope.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Dunny#1 wrote:
Goto channel 403 freeview, some skiing on there Smile

Can't Fiancee has the period drama on now!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
rob@rar wrote:
plectrum wrote:
Dunny#1, Maybe you are Rob can keep watching BBC2 for the sedate snooker!

Because I don't like seeing racers crash you think that somehow qualifies me for the slippers and armchair brigade? Funny, very funny. I'll tell that to the person who does a little bit of race coaching for me. I think she'll enjoy that one Laughing

Laughing Plectrum i like crashes, watching them, but as long as no one got hurt. Every likes them, it is just when people get hurt that is when i don't like them.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I thought it looked horrible, but I loved hearing about the racer's attitude to crashes, it was informative and interesting.
Bode Miller's surfing run was outstanding, to me.
Downhill racing looks like stuff of nightmares, scaring yourself silly, ya know...
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
To be honest I didn't think it was too bad. OK so it was hugely over-produced ,as is usual with the BBC these days, and the picture quality of the downhil was appalling but all-in-all beggars can't be choosers and at least there is some skiing on the BBC. Why is, though, that they have to reduce everything on the BBC to "Light entertainment" nowadays? Is it beyond the comprehension of the legions of graduate production teams infesting the BBC these days that there might, actually, be people out there who are interested in a decent "Skiing" programme rather than a celebrity chef doing a snowplough?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
plectrum, Todd Brooker, 1987.

CD.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Dunny#1, I am not saying its down to a right or wrong. Rob doesn't like crashes and I understand and appreciate that. I guess it is a bit like boxing ... very dangerous sport many develop brain damage later in life but I find it entertaining.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
chrisdavis, cheers ... a good summary http://www.wpl.ca/site/waterloo_150/pdf/brooker_todd.pdf
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I can't believe I was reading a book throughout all but a few minutes of Ski Sunday! I share the distaste for concentrating on crashes in downhills, but even if you do enjoy that sort of thing, what about all the other competitive skiing that has been going on? Why no coverage of that?
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Crap programme - just not enough skiing. If I want to watch a travelogue there are plenty other channels and programmes- where it's done much better ie Coast The travel programme, African diaries - but why the alps in the summer on a skiing programme. As far as discussion on crashes; Far too much time spent on it. I'd rather have more footage of the racing than the crashing. Just a bit weird, Could be some bright Tristram of a producer is chasing ratings!!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Dunny#1 wrote:
rob@rar wrote:
plectrum wrote:

Because I don't like seeing racers crash you think that somehow qualifies me for the slippers and armchair brigade? Funny, very funny. I'll tell that to the person who does a little bit of race coaching for me. I think she'll enjoy that one Laughing

Laughing Plectrum i like crashes, watching them, but as long as no one got hurt. Every likes them, it is just when people get hurt that is when i don't like them.

Dunny - unfortunately this sentence doesn't quite make sense. You do not know whether the skiier is hurt when you see the crash. If is an after effect and an after thought. So it is impossible to judge your entertainment from the crash based on whether the skier is hurt or not.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Caught the last 30 minutes, much better than SS used to be. Might series link it. The title of the programme is "ski sunday" not "ski racing sunday" and isn't there more stuff from the races visible when when you "press the red button"? The crashes are horrendous but they highlight how racers are from a different planet from you and I.

The Siberian segment captured some of the strangeness of skiing/boarding and was good IMHO.

The trouble with a lot of the FIS ski races is that they are just boring to watch. A bit like the difference between watching a mountain stage and a time trial in the TdF. And there isn't even the prospect they will catch the skier behind. Kudos to the BBC for realising this and diversifying.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
ccl - red buton then blue one - there's a proper ski sunday on there.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Calling it "SKI" Sunday was a bit of a misnomer. If I wanted to watch people hill walking I'd look for a programme about hill walking!!!
latest report
Brian T, ccl, Completely agree ... AND contrary to how I am perceived in this thread, I would quite happily of traded all the crash footage for 60 minutes of racing. What about Friday's GS as well as more than 5 riders being featured on the downhill.

Has anyone here actually been in a big resort for a Downhill WC event it looks amazing.
snow report
plectrum wrote:
I guess it is a bit like boxing ... very dangerous sport many develop brain damage later in life but I find it entertaining.

Is it the boxing you like, or the rare occasions when a boxer ends up in a coma because it's all gone terribly wrong? Do you like to watch that in slow motion as well?

Yes, crashing is a part of ski racing and it should be covered by the media as such. But it's not the highlight of the sport. Ski Sunday got it badly wrong in their coverage today and I would rather have seen them forgo it altogether than pander to the lowest common denominator by looping the most horrific crashes they have in their video library. All the more shameful that it was fronted by an ex-racer. Ditto for snowHeads who seem to find it entertaining and think that those people who find it distasteful are wimps of some kind. All IMO of course.
ski holidays
plectrum,

Yes, at Lake Louise. Glad I went, but not that thrilling as it takes ages and you can only see one part of the course. Lake Louise is a cold place for sitting on your ass for a few hours!!!
ski holidays
plectrum wrote:
Has anyone here actually been in a big resort for a Downhill WC event it looks amazing.

Yes, and it is amazing. But a bit sickening when a racer crashes.
latest report
stoatsbrother wrote:

The trouble with a lot of the FIS ski races is that they are just boring to watch. A bit like the difference between watching a mountain stage and a time trial in the TdF. And there isn't even the prospect they will catch the skier behind. Kudos to the BBC for realising this and diversifying.

Depends if you actually like skiing or cycling as most TdF fans find a TT fascinating as they do a Mountain stage it is the flats that are average but French television coverage is always brilliant with a perfect balance between travel/country documentary and edgy race coverage.

The coverage of the Siberain segment was lazy and boring. Where actually was he.... Siberia is a pretty big place? What are the attributes of the mountain, how steep, how high, level of skiing etc? Who cares about seeing him on a train eating an orange!
snow report
rob@rar, Fully agree that I would have preferred no crash coverage and more skiing! It is Eurosport time!

The best fight I have ever watched .... ever .... was Nigel Benn vs Gerald McClellan, a titanic encounter. The otucome though was unfortunate and upsetting. This is the paradox of extreme sports. There is a difference between wanting a ski racer to crash or wanting a boxer to be hurt and enjoying a knock out or a flip tumble and crash, when it happens
snow conditions
Have they been watching too much Top gear? Celebrity racing, big journeys, Top Gear camera angles and same style music. I think the egos have landed. Graham & Ed "What I did on my holidays" pieces belong elsewhere - why that and not the men's SL or anything of the ladies from Cortina. And all that stuff about the Trans Siberian Express! There is no such thing (ask a Russian). Loads of train lines cross Russia. He got on a train! Big deal. Graham does Michael Palin but I prefer Palin. I'll still watch it tho'.
ski holidays
plectrum, used to be a time triallist myself actually. Fun to watch out on the road. Less so on TV except for Team TTs. I also used to play Jazz - another activity that is better to take part in than watch Toofy Grin

If you want nothing but details about the resort use Google. This was trying to convey the atmosphere and colour. I think they did well. This is aimed at a generalist audience.
latest report
Well I enjoyed it! I too find ski racing a bit boring - but I love mountains! Very Happy I thought the whole hour was very watchable, although I must admit the travelling by train to Siberia went on and on and on.....I wanted to say - just get the plane there for god's sake! Toofy Grin
snow report
Bode Swiller, plectrum, rob@rar,

Folks,

How many people in the UK are into ski racing? I guess very few.

How many people in the UK go skiing as a holiday? Loads

Personally, I found this much more entertaing than an hour of blokes in Lyrica going down the same bit of mountain. If I ever go to Kitzbuhel during downhill it will be as much for the atmosphere as for the actual race.
snow report
stoatsbrother, I really like the TT's this year's TdF was no difference and the downhill slips in the rain made it more exciting! More because of how it affected the General Classification rather than for the falls tho.... Smile

Also I am not sure it should be for a generalist audience. It is Ski Sunday it should be for avid ski fans! I'll await MOTD2 .... 13 mins of football and 20 mins of the history of Bolton or what Kevin Keegan had for breakfast ... I don't think so!
snow conditions
I don't mind the switch to a Top Gear style given that they have very few broadcast rights for WC racing. It would be nice if it became as entertaining as Top Gear, even if it covered no racing whatsoever. I think it's good to show more than just racing - for that there's Ch 4 and Eurosport.
snow conditions
johnboy, I'll see you on the slopes in Siberia .... oh and if without googling you can actually remember where in Siberia that resort was at or what it was called I'll buy you a pint.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
stoatsbrother wrote:

Disagree - I watch motor-racing to see the best in the world attaining at a level I can only dream of. Exactly the same for skiing. Totally fascinating, the skill levels, bravado and etc these guys have. There was virtually none of that on ski sunday and what little there was had a picture quality that looked like it was all downloaded from youtube.

If they want to diversify, call it 'A general interest programme linked snow-sports, travel and celebrities', and give us back ski sunday proper............ imagine watching MoTD containing nothing but interviews with supporters, linked by the occaisional 2 minutes of matchplay - thats about what we got on ski sunday tonight.
snow report
plectrum,

I don't really care where in Siberia it is. All I want is an hour showing snow and mountains. Toofy Grin
snow conditions
plectrum wrote:
Dunny#1 wrote:
rob@rar wrote:
plectrum wrote:

Dunny - unfortunately this sentence doesn't quite make sense. You do not know whether the skiier is hurt when you see the crash. If is an after effect and an after thought. So it is impossible to judge your entertainment from the crash based on whether the skier is hurt or not.

Yeah i know, i only meant when waching it afterwards like on Ski sunday or oneurosport.
ski holidays
johnboy, But you didnt get that!
ski holidays
Interesting the difference between the overall view on this thread, and the one about the same programme in the AZ... wink

johnboy, me too...
snow report
johnboy wrote:
plectrum,

I don't really care where in Siberia it is. All I want is an hour showing snow and mountains. Toofy Grin

Exactly! snowHead snowHead
snow conditions
stoatsbrother, Whats the AZ?
snow conditions
plectrum,

Well, I was still happy with the overall content Toofy Grin
ski holidays
If I wanted to watch a programme about the racing I'd go to Eurosport.
ski holidays
plectrum, you wouldn't like it. The people are not skiing there.
snow report
cathy, stoatsbrother, johnboy, but you didn't get much snow, mountains and boarding/skiing. It was faff, faff and more faff.
snow conditions
stoatsbrother wrote:
plectrum, you wouldn't like it. The people are not skiing there.

Wow so friendly and polite Sad
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy