Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Your Worst Draglift

Poster: A snowHead
Adamski wrote:
Fergus, I remember that one all too well - I too couldn't be bothered with the cable car so took the T ... are there actually two there one after the other to get you back to plateau Rosa? it/they were the longest coldest most boring drags I have ever been on by a factor of about 100 .... I've never seen anything else come close to the length of it/them!

No idea, we only ventured over there once. I'd probably take off my skis and hike it the next time- at least that would keep me warm rolling eyes
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The Carpark T-bar on CairnGorm is always good entertainment when the Ptarmigan Bowl lifts are closed and beginners are low down the mountain. Beginners + T-bar + downhill uptrack = Toofy Grin Twisted Evil
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
hobbiteater wrote:
The downhill one in ischgl is horrible "E5"

Speaking as a boarder, I love that lift. It's just so different you can't help but laugh. Mind you I also have a great deal of affection for the Glas Maol poma, especially when it's properly set up for launching you into the air. I think some of my fellow boarders may think of me as being 'slightly odd'. snowHead
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I found the drag that takes you up to the back bowls at lake louise far more exhausting than any of the double blacks it leads to.
The disadvantages of being a boarder
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The Seigneurs lift in Flumet is long, and very steep. There are signs periodically saying "si vous tombez", pointing to the left through a substantial forest. The other side of the stretch of forest you come to a steep black run, often and mogulled. Once you have got down that, the ONLY way to go is back up the same lift. Or, if truly desperate, there is a bus about once every three weeks to Crest Voland. The run is also pretty low in altitude so in bad snow periods you have to hop from patch of snow to patch of snow, over the tree roots.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Zero wrote:
I found the drag that takes you up to the back bowls at lake louise far more exhausting than any of the double blacks it leads to.
The disadvantages of being a boarder

Ha ha.... was just gonna post that exact thing!

Flippin hard work - plus all the runs you have to cross + the slope going off to the woods on the left (I ended up in them a couple of times!!) but get up there first thing & the ride down is awesome!

Smile
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

Mind you I also have a great deal of affection for the Glas Maol poma, especially when it's properly set up for launching you into the air. I think some of my fellow boarders may think of me as being 'slightly odd'.

snowHead snowHead

The secret is to be moving as the Poma engages with the rope. That removes most of the inertia and thereby the 'launch'.

A lot of snowboarders have problems with the Poma at Yad Moss for this reason. I guess its less easy to 'push off' on a board than on skis and our system is set up for release by pushing a button rather than skiing through a gate.

Other than encouraging them to reduce the inertia by hopping and leaning forward, we usually slow the tow down if they are having particular difficulty. Laughing
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
There are 2 which i shall hate till I die
1) in Praz de Lys which lifted everyone at least 12 inches off the ground and re-arraged your vocals
2) the twin t-bars from Samaun back to Ischgl, long since gone but my feet ache just at the thought of them
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I found the thread Skullie

I knew I was right about T bars Shocked

Luckily I've been told that there isn't one in VT Very Happy

In Switzerland my friends are going to help me learn to use a chairlift, they are threatening to put me on the T bar there. It looks hellishly steep Skullie I looked on the piste map tonight - it leads to a red and a black run!! hurray - I've got a good excuse not to have to use it Very Happy
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Allegedly the longest T bar in the world is in Heiligenblut, Carinthia, Austria. I've been on it. It was longer than a very long thing on a long cold long night.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Bode Swiller, Laughing Laughing

There was (is?) a twin drag-lift on the way to Valloire from Valmeinier which I used a couple of times in my second week on skis. It had no 'launch-control' so almost everyone was thrown 3 feet into the air (I think some larger chaps avoided it) and I would guess that 1-in-4 fell off when they hit the floor. Made for a looong queue that day. Once aboard, it was very exposed to an icy blast - and seemed to take forever to reach the top.

There's also one in Val Cenis which is very steep, goes round a corner and is sandwiched between a wooded ditch and a steep mogul field. I tried it once, was thrown off at the corner, spent about 20 mins getting to the bottom again - then I decided not to try it again Embarassed
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
T-bars are the work of the devil Evil or Very Mad So not too keen on either the Alp Dado or the glacier lifts in Laax. An instructor once insisted on taking us up the Loze drag instead of the Chenus bubble in C1850 once - I'd spent the whole week falling off the simplest drags, just having a 'mare, and I nearly had kittens on the Loze one. Thankfully no T-bars in Courchevel, button lifts I can cope with, but still prefer chairs given the choice
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Megamum, the key to T-bars is to relax.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Elizabeth B, I need to tell this to my youngest 'cos he believes the key to T-bars is to pretend he is fishing for marlin
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
HTN,
Quote:

Dazman that lift was replaced a few years ago... thankfully!!! Its now a super fast 5 or 6 person (cant remember) lift really quick

Jaysus that sounds ace....I'd love to have a go if again now that you've told me that.
ski holidays
Also hate T-bars, as they make my knee hurt, but buttons are not always better...

There are a few in Risoul that are brutal - go on for days and days, and that's after starting by being yanked a good 4 feet in the air (does provide entertainment as you are queuing though!). They then go up variably very steep inclines, and almost flat/downhill buts (so you get the 'button-melvin'), with the steep bits regularly crossing over paths through the forest, so nice slapping of skis onto flat ice, before having to kind of will them to go with the incline again rather than jam into it. All icy, all just lovely of course.

Then out of the trees, and oh my god the wind. Slams into you from one side, leaving you in the interesting position of fighting with yourself, feet determined to stay in deep icy ruts, rest of body bending perilously to the left, arms trying to control the rest.

Ugh!

D
ski holidays
The drag lift in the Gers Bowl (flaine) is pretty intense, both very long and steep (something like 500/600 metres vertical), think knees screaming in agony. Unfortunately the skiing is just so good in there you have no choice but to do it over and over again.
ski holidays
For me the old Creux drag lift back from Courchevel 1650 used to be the worst. Glad it has now been removed.
ski holidays
Bode Swiller wrote:
Allegedly the longest T bar in the world is in Heiligenblut, Carinthia, Austria. I've been on it. It was longer than a very long thing on a long cold long night.

Looks like they may have replaced it (or part of it), was it on the right handside of this plan?
http://homes.tiscover.com/skimaps/kaernten/heiligenblut/index.html
snow conditions
the last one Very Happy
latest report
I agree with levart. Took a group of friends (never even stood on skis before) up a drag lift in Ischgl last year. I stood at the top and watched ALL 8 of them fall (with varying degrees of hilarity). Cruel I know but very very funny! Although the best I saw was a guy who came skiing with us on the beginner button lift in Soll. First time around he let go of the bar too late and got lodged head first in the poles at the top (oh and the lift hit him in the head). Second time around (in a panic at a repeat of his last trip up) he let go far far too early and took out a kids ski school of about 8 four year olds plus their instructor. Not funny for those involved, very funny for those watching. Twisted Evil
snow report
Red Leon, Can your remember the name of the lift in Val Cenis, so I can avoid it?!!! Laughing Laughing I'm going there this weekend
latest report
My first ever memory of a drag was in La Clusaz on my first ski trip from school. Dressed like a pink marshmellow courtesy of C&A (showing my age) ( thanks Mum - I didn't look cute) I followed my beginner group to this thing. Hadn't listened to the advice so got the thing and sat on it. back bottom on the back of my skis, I held on for dear life with everyone shouting "stand up" at me. Impossible. Made it to the top but the dismount wasn't very pretty.

Remember a viscious one in Morzine, nearly yanked my head off as it propelled me upwards and forward. Never thought I'd get air from a draglift.
Another class one was a long drag in Andorra - many years ago. Was taking 2 beginners to a run I'd spotted that morning. Got them on safe and sound. Got on behind them. Knew it was a long one so lit a ciggie. Was nice and relaxed, smoking, weaving the skis around, next minute.....OFF big time into a load of powder. 2 beginners looking round and I'm shouting " I'm ok, I'll see you at the top". Longest hike I've ever done!

I try to avoid them now.
snow conditions
DB wrote:
Bode Swiller wrote:

Looks like they may have replaced it (or part of it), was it on the right handside of this plan?
http://homes.tiscover.com/skimaps/kaernten/heiligenblut/index.html

Yep, that's the one... 889m vertical of T-bar. S'pose all the new generation softy skiers get padded seats. Well, in my day m'lad.... zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
snow conditions
Avago,

Looking at the piste map I think it's "TK de la Ferme". The blue run from the top of the bubble takes a sharp left turn after a few hundred yards. The TK starts just there.

However, I have to say,

1. If you get to the top of the TK, there's a blue run down to the top of the bubble (not that I got there, of course Embarassed )
2. Just because I am (was?) utterly incapable of staying on the lift or getting back down once I had fallen off, there's no reason to assume it's beyond you. I doubt you're as crap on skis as I am.

Incidentally, I've just remembered there's another drag I struggled with (but didn't fall off - Wooohoo!!). I'm not sure but I think it's TK de la Tomba which I remember was v steep at the beginning. There's some lovely skiing rom the top IIRC
snow conditions
Worst I have ever experienced were on the Hintertux Glacier in October.

It was absolutely freezing, and very windy. People were being blown over on the way up.
They eventually stopped the lift early due to the conditions, but not before we'd seen one guy go all the way up holding the T in front of him with his arms rolled around it (like it was a roll of carpet).

Wasn't helped by the lack of any assistance at the bottom, probobly due to the v high average std with the race teams and everyone there...
latest report
Are in Sweden has the best drag lift, to get the top of the mountain it's either a 15 minute walk from the highest lift or a tow rope behind a piste basher or skidoo. 2 tow ropes behind the piste basher with 4 people per rope clinging on, but the skidoo is better - 1 rope and 5 people clinging on for dear life as the driver goes like a lunatic.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy