Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Your Worst Draglift

Poster: A snowHead
Following on from the thread about the different kinds of ski lift and the mention of drag lifts brought back memories of our last trip to Sauze Doulx.

On the third day I persuaded my wife that we should ski over to Sansicario and the trip would involve a couple of draglifts. We duly got to the bottom of one which had a sign stating that this was for expert skiers as the incline was in places 60 degrees and it also had a sharpish bend in it.

I actually failed to read this the first time around, I got it the second, and the third as each time my wife fell off at various points.

Of course, being the gentleman that I am and not being prepared for the grief if I didn't, I jumped off as well.Of course, getting off is only the beginning as you then somehow have to get back to the piste and ski back down to the bottom for another try.

In our case it was third time lucky.

The only problem was that on our return, we found that the only way back was down the black run that ran along side the "black" draglift.

Having managed to get her down that in about 40 minutes, her nerve had gone but we had to then do another less evil draglift to get us back to the Sauze side.

We worked out that the success rate was improved by me carrying her poles, thereby giving her less to worry about.The last draglift of the day had another goody in store.

When she alighted off that one, the snow to the side was waist deep so trying to walk was impossible.We both had our initiation to trying to ski on soft deep snow.How the hell do you turn in that stuff.

I eventually pointed my skis straight forward, lent back a bit and kept going straight.

The second worst has to be the T bar in Schladming that acted like an anchor under caught under somebodys jacket on getting to the top.Not my wifes, thank god !
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
bernie, Been 10 years since I was in Sauze and it was only my second time skiing. As soon as I saw the title of this thread amd without reading it I thought of that drag in Sauze Shocked Shocked Laughing Laughing

I to remember the black coming home. Mrsfatcontroller was more experienced at the time than me and set of down the black. I was terrified and very tired. Everytime I got to where she was, she set of again. I think I remember trying to spear her with one of my poles with a very good javelin throw. Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
whilst skiing the 3vallees we were in the next valley (Merihell) over when a storm started brewing - we needed to get back over the hill (to SMdB) to save the taxi fare...

Mate i was with was a 1st week boarder and not too handy on the drags lifts - the quickest way back was a teleskiage tres dificele. So i skied off quickly down to the lift and stood in front of the sign so he couldn't see it. Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

All in the mind drag lifts you see Very Happy

He went and fell off 3 times rolling eyes and never did get over - managed to get to the gondola just before it closed though. snowHead
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
The Voie Lactee (milky way or Via Lattea) has some horrible drags.

In Montgenevre the Belier drag is awful, i fell off it this year. Its like being ripped up the mountain, managed to holdf on for about 50m before i fell off. It was relatively easy to get back to the piste.

Other ones in the area which look awful are Crete and 3 Fourneous, which I havent tried because they are extremely steep and have sudden bends.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The downhill one in ischgl is horrible "E5"
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
There's a T-bar in Zermatt along a glacier, I think, which links you back over to Cervinia. We couldn't bear the queues for the cable-car so took the T-bar. It's pretty exposed to the wind and I think my hands/bollocks nearly froze off Shock. And of course, for the longest, coldest T-bar, I get stuck with my sister who's alot shorter than me so the backs of my legs got a battering:x
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The first time I came across a T-Bar was on a free ski week-end in Saalbach/Hinterglemm provided by a holiday company, as at the time we had a group of about 40 people skiing, so we quite often got free trips to look at resorts. I'd only skied for 2 weeks and we were skiing with a resort guide, who I think was actually a ski instructor. As a first T-bar it looked daunting, but give it a go I thought.

It was very steep, or seemed so at the time, and it was sheet ice all the way with steep banks at either side. The inevitable happened and I fell off, but with the steep banks I couldn't get off the track and started sliding down. I was desparately trying to stop the slide using my skis but just went faster and faster. The next thing I saw was a pair of ski boots just before my head hit them. It all went a bit hazy after that, but when I came to I was hurtling down the track head first with skiers coming up the lift whizzing past me. Fortunately I eventually stopped at the bottom of the lift and the ski guide arrived to see if I was ok.

He gave the lift operators a real roasting and made them shut the lift until they had sent a piste basher up to make it safe, then he made me get back on the T-bar with him and we got up ok. If he hadn't done that I'm not sure I would have got on a T-bar again, but now I don't have a problem with them.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
La Masse, nr Les Menuires, 3V - it accesses a loverly black, which is an utter cinch compared to negotiating the drag lift that accesses it. 1, 2, then 3 vicious and violent tugs (I'm still talking about the lift) and up, hopefully, you go.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
There used to be a real nut-cracker Poma coming up from Samoens to Flaine.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
One of the worst I've encountered was the Plateau Poma Tow at Glencoe which I visited for the first time last Sunday, due to the following factors:
1. The snow surface was not level, but had a substantial "valley" of variable width and depth into which one or both of the skis would often go Shocked
2. Towards the upper part of the drag the spring loaded poma adopted an angle of only about 20 degrees from horizontal (rather than the usual angle much closer to vertical), requiring a firm grip on the poma to avoid losing it.
3 As it was raining and my gloves were wet, maintaining a firm grip on the poma was very difficult and I almost lost my grip on it towards the top Skullie
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
There was one in BKK, more years ago than I care to remember, that just went on and on and on and..... It wasn't steep or difficult but you lost the will to live before you got to the top !! Skullie
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
thefatcontroller, You need to get the Mrs on Collosses in Bellecote, it's only two sharp right hand turns wink Toofy Grin
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
boredsurfin, She won't do it. I'm game but she refuses. There in March so will keep trying Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Fergus, I remember that one all too well - I too couldn't be bothered with the cable car so took the T ... are there actually two there one after the other to get you back to plateau Rosa? it/they were the longest coldest most boring drags I have ever been on by a factor of about 100 .... I've never seen anything else come close to the length of it/them!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Serre Che has replaced many of it's viscious drags, but there are still one or two to surprise you.
ski holidays
My kids can ride pretty much any drag lift except the Eagle at Lecht and Butcharts at Glenshee. Both Poma's lift them off their feet for 50-100m. They sit there on the end of the button with feet and skis dangling and spinning around. They have no control over which way they are facing or when they are going to land ! Success rate is less than 25% and we only use them if we really really have too.
snow conditions
today was pretty bad on the tschuggen drag lift, my phone started ringing whilst I was smoking with one hand and eating a mars bar with the other, some quick thinking and I had the situation under control. Smile

Are all those drama stories about drag bars being used with skis? How is it not possible to stand up and be pulled on skis? At least you don't run the risk of randomly trapping one of your nuts like boarders do. Sad
snow report
The old drag at Pramereul (crossing between boundary of Courchevel 1650/1850) now called gavelles not sure if the drag was called that too Puzzled . Looking at the map it has been replaced with a chair now.....on sheet ice in a gale it was no fun, neither was the 30ft airborne initial tug either Confused One of those which hurt your shins due to the angle of the slope and then felt like the button was going down your legs as you went from being kind of under the point where the arm joined the cable to it being miles out in front of you over the knoll.
ski holidays
don't know if this counts, but in about 1977 i was going up a t-bar with my sister in aviemore, and a bloke on his own in front of us fell, grabbed the t-bar, got dragged along, let go again and then the t-bar flew back at hin and the end stuck in his eye.claret everywhere and the pair or us absolutely terrified of t-bars from then on. thank god theres no t-bars in the alps. button tows seem much less aggressive.
ski holidays
sequoiaboard, There a good few t-bars left in the Alps
ski holidays
I remeber a T bar up quite a steep slope in Kitzbhul- me and my friend (who is about 2-3 times the size of me) fell off about 7 or 8 times before we were ok.

Zermatt - Trifti
snow report
sequoiaboard, there are quite a few T bars in some parts of the alps. Austria in particular don't seem to have heard of button lifts Sad

I can't say I was too keen on the one up from the bottom of pistes 6 & 7 in Zell am Ziller this year. 1230m long, a rise of 309m (so an average of 1 in 4), but two downhill sections within that (so the uphill parts are rather steeper than 1 in 4).
snow conditions
actually the worst T bar experience I've had was only three weeks ago. I decided it would be cool to go up with our youngest between my legs and our eldest along side me. Frosty the small one managed to get a ski twisted under him, I just leant down for a moment to get his ski back under us before it popped off and the next thing I knew I was attached to the T bar by one only one leg, and was on my backside, in the meantime our youngest son was sliding back down the hill, all very embarrassing as its only just steeper than the magic carpet in the kinder cub and this was made worse by my 6 year old looking down on me and saying "wot you doin dad, skiing on yer head???" Still don't quite know what happened Embarassed
snow conditions
stab wrote:
today was pretty bad on the tschuggen drag lift, Sad

Bu**er - you've just answered a question I put in the Snowboarding section.

That is the Devil's Drag Lift Skullie
snow conditions
Hold on hold on...please tell me someone here as skied down to the Swiss border whilst in Livigno ??...basically you go to the top of the Carosello and instead of turning left to ski down through the forest back down to the village you turn right and ski all the way down...it's a beautiful run.....but the 30 minute drag lift back up is an experience NEVER EVER to be repeated.
latest report
One of the worst/funniest I've done was the one that used to be at Birg at the bottom of the Schilthorn (Engertal). It was quite steep, and used by beginners sometimes. I once witnessed someone fall off and slide back down taking out the next 10 pairs of people. Fortunately no one was hurt too much, but I know at least one person who nearly wet themselves laughing!
ski holidays
Fergus wrote:
There's a T-bar in Zermatt along a glacier, I think, which links you back over to Cervinia. We couldn't bear the queues for the cable-car so took the T-bar. It's pretty exposed to the wind and I think my hands/bollocks nearly froze off Shock. And of course, for the longest, coldest T-bar, I get stuck with my sister who's alot shorter than me so the backs of my legs got a battering:x

God I hate that t-bar..

I'm a boarder and 'don't do T's / Pomas' - still we were having a nice lunch in Zermatt and then the weather turned, leg it back up the mountain only for the KM cable car to be closed. Oh Sugar said I (well something like that!!), now time for the t-bar...grr.. grr.. ok lets give it a go ok 100 yds up..getting trickier..help..oh sugar I'm going sideways..edge...edge and sugar I've fallen over and ripped the T off the bottom of the upright.

Board back down to the start and in somewhat of a lack of sense of humour moment I threw the t bit at the lift hut. Eventually my mates calmed me down and we gave it a second go with a mate riding alongside - he had to ride fakie so that it would work. What felt like 20 freezing cold minutes later we got to the top and I was a nervous wreck. Stopped for coffee at the restaturant with a toilet on top of the world, and then back down to red 7.

2 years on and I gave pomas a go on a recent trip to morzine..seemed ok as I'm know sliding more and trying to edge not at all. Will test this theory in st. Anton later in the year...
latest report
Le Petit Prince in l'alpe d'Huez
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
If that Saalbach drag is the one at the top of the Bachstaad lift oh the boredom only to be woken by a very steep run and then back to sleep! I hate drag lifts never fallen off one but I just really hate them and you always end up on it wiht someone twice your size or half your size
ski holidays
Getting on a T-bar half way up the piste; how hard can that be?
I tried it once and I'd like to apologise once again to the boarder who was on the bar. Also sorry about the mobile phone you were on at the time, and sorry about the people you crashed into. Hope their camera equipment wasn't badly damaged!
snow report
Dazman that lift was replaced a few years ago... thankfully!!! Its now a super fast 5 or 6 person (cant remember) snowHead lift really quick
snow report
Somewhere above Igls, a rope pull that you had to grab hold of, virually impossible to get to top of without losing your grip on the knots ! Sad
latest report
Ordhan wrote:
the Bachstaad lift

They all are, they all are...
ski holidays
You lot are looking at this all the wrong way, the more ridiculous the drag lift the more hilarious the crashes at the bottom - saw a guy get catapulted a good 15 yards in Serre Chevalier once, I nearly wet myself, don't think he was quite so amused.
snow report
Levart that may be same drag I was on at new year. Do the lifties do it on purpose? I was thrown so far forward off the ground that was threatened with never being able to wet myself naturally again
snow report
Pretty much all the drag lifts at Glenshee - each one has a unique character of its own. I think the phrase "if you ski in scotland you can ski anywhere" could well be applied to the drag lifts at Glenshee. My particular favourite is Coire Fionn Poma 2 where you find yourself overtaking the poma just after the start. Good fun to watch peoples different techniques for dealing / not dealing with this.
snow conditions
A quick snow plough to slow down worked for me . Glas Maol poma was a bit disapointing - hardly got any air on it yesterday. last time I was their it used to be a real bollock breaker. The Harrier poma used to be the 'best' for the take off at the beginning.
snow report
Les Houches, last year. I had never actually seen a drag lift till then only having skied in Utah and Andorra. Tried the one on the nursery slopes at first and thought I had the hang of it, bare in mind this is by trial and error no instruction.
Then off to the slops proper, first couple lifts were ok then I skied down a red run that converged with an evil looking black and both of these used a drag that goes up through a forest back to the top. Hopped on and off I go, half way up at a kink and a severe incline I fall off. I can’t ski back down the line of snow the lift is using as it’s too narrow and the nearest piste the evil black run is about 80m wade though deep snow laden forest. It was only after 15 mins of wading through the snow I got to the edge of the run and out of the forest, my lungs were burning and I was running at about 45degC. Lucky I had a 1liter bottle of water with me I sat down in the snow hat off bottle of water took out of pocket laid it down to take off my gloves and it toppled over, I have never seen anything accelerate as quickly as it slid down the slope luckily it did not hit anyone.
Then have to ski down the black to get back on the same drag lift made it ok the second time.
The next day emboldened with fresh confidence I did exactly the same thing minus the water bottle bit.
It was not until Les Contamines this year someone pointed out to me what the red and green light are for shows the value of instruction really.
snow report
newbie45 wrote:

It was not until Les Contamines this year someone pointed out to me what the red and green light are for shows the value of instruction really.

Red and green lights?

I've never seen any of those on the drags I've used Puzzled

This could, of course, just be me being unobservant. Embarassed
ski holidays
newbie45, sounds very similar to an expereince that I had on my first ski holiday in Flaine (1985!). I've just checked the piste map and it hasn't been upgraded. It's called "Bois" (unimaginatively it goes through a wood). My instructor said before we got on the lift "Whatever you do, don't fall off." Well with temptation like that, of course I had to find out why Confused
I was wearing 135cm skis and it took approx 30 mins for me to get back to the slope via the soft snow in between the trees. He wasn't happy and didn't take me that way again. Shocked
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy