Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Anyone for Scotland - 12/13 Jan?

Poster: A snowHead
Yes, yes. But I was thinking of a big one, where we all get to click a button.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Sat - ridge of high pressure over Scotland & dumping in the alps - what could be better.
Wish I was coming - trip later this year...

http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=other;type=chartwint
snow conditions
 brian
brian
skisimon, kiwi1 is planning a demo event at Nevis over the easter weekend, quite a few snowHead s will probably be around for that.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
skisimon wrote:
Getting all rather excited now. Just a couple of days to go... Madeye-Smiley

You betcha, me too! Toofy Grin
Quote:
If the snow keeps on coming we should have a Scotland Bash in February! snowHead

LOL, now there's an idea snowHead
Elizabeth B wrote:
I thought we were having a mini one this weekend? Cool

LOL, I guess we are snowHead snowHead
skisimon wrote:
Yes, yes. But I was thinking of a big one, where we all get to click a button.

LOL, you mean an 'official' one wink
brian wrote:
skisimon, kiwi1 is planning a demo event at Nevis over the easter weekend, quite a few snowHead s will probably be around for that.

Yup, thread here - I'm planning on doing that one too Toofy Grin

BTW guys, II should be seeing us up at Nevis (I have his mobile number) and Paul from Winterhighland is going to be around Cairngorm Sunday if we decide to go there (again I have his mobile number). I'd guess quite a lot of other Winterhighlanders will be around the Gorm and Glenshee as well so expect some hellos wherever we go Very Happy

BTW, have already posted the following over in Snow Reports but I think it's worth having it here too...

Here's the latest from Nevis:
Quote:
Large quantities of snow have fallen in the last 36 hours and all runs are complete with quite a lot of snow lying below the top gondola station. There are ample areas for beginners and sledging. However it will take some time to get the snow under control and storm damage will have to be assessed at daylight. Piste machines are working tonight. Most runs will be skiable from the lifts which are operating on Thursday we expect to run nearly all the lifts on Friday and at the weekend.

They also add:
Quote:
Great skiing conditions expected for Friday and Saturday.

Well fancy that! Laughing

snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead
snow conditions
 brian
brian
I've got to say, with that report and the current forecasts, I'm getting particularly itchy feet for a quick blast on Friday. However, that would probably put the kybosh on next week. How likely are you to make it up here, snowball ?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Just back from switzerland and can't believe how lucky I am to come back to all this snow at home Smile snowHead

Will definately be going somewhere at the weekend. I am trying to get some first time Scottish skiers from work up to Glenshee on sunday ( just hoping theres not too much snow Evil or Very Mad ) and think the boyfriend wants to go on saturday as well to christen his new all areas season pass ( I know I am going to regret not buying one! )
So excited Smile snowHead
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
brian, with great reluctance I have to say you should let your itchy feet do the talking. I still have a bit of hope I might come up, but I am now thinking I was being a bit optimistic in thinking I could get everything done that I need to do, today and half of tomorrow. (Next thursday I have to do all my preparations for skiing - laundry, packing, entertaining my ski friends in the evening and any last minute other items before 9 days away skiing).
I think I really can't afford to take all my other 3 days to go to Scotland and obviously it isn't worth spending 2 days (and 20 hours travelling) to do half a days skiing. Sad

Also I am lucky my non skiing wife tolerates me going off for 3 long weeks (nearly 28 days, actually, which is really 4 weeks) while she works. Taking another 3 days immediately before one of them would be pushing it - she made it very clear when I mentioned it yesterday she didn't want me to go.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I'm heading up to the slopes this Saturday with the Hubby. But where will be the better - Glenshee or Nevis? Where will most of you be going? How will I recognise any of you if I meet you? I personally will be wearing a pink jacket, grey trousers, pink skis - yes, I l know, I'm a total girlie Laughing
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Glenshee is a lot closer to the central belt than Nevis. I live in Edinburgh and we tend to go where the snow is best but there is no point driving more than you need to. Glenshee is looking good for saturday, have you had a look at winterhighland?

I wouldn't be surprised if it was heaving this weekend so you would be lucky to find anyone you know. if it is please don't be put off by the long queues, it is usually very busy for the first few weekends they open the ski centres, especially if there has been snow in the central belt then it quietens off just when it is getting really nice, around march Smile I think most years the ski centres close due to a lack of customers rather than snow.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Okay...dumb question time.

I've heard horror stories about what Scottish mountains can do to your skis. Do I take my good pair, or the ones that I didtched 3 years ago because they were too straight?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Elizabeth B, I've pm'd you.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Elizabeth B wrote:
Okay...dumb question time.

I've heard horror stories about what Scottish mountains can do to your skis. Do I take my good pair, or the ones that I didtched 3 years ago because they were too straight?

There's been a lot of snow so most of the rocks should be well covered, however there's always the chance of some damage particularly in windblown areas and if you ski off-piste (although that may not be at all safe at the moment).

Having said that I'm taking along a couple of pairs of pretty new skis (Line Prophet and Fisher RX8) so I'm taking the risk!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I think I'll take my old skis as I've only just got my new ones serviced, I only ditched the others a month ago anyway!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Now all I have to do is actually phone to B&B at a time when someone will actually answer the phone... Confused
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Im taking my Nomads but im praying my Snoop daddys with Fritschi freeride bindings arrive from sport conrad in time Smile But it's not looking good there currently HERNE-BOERNIG,
DE 10/01/2008 14:56 ARRIVAL SCAN Sad According to ups .

Not looking good so the old crossmax's will be coming along too

Regards Mark
ski holidays
 brian
brian
snowball, ok, does sound a bit ambitious to squeeze all that in.

Elizabeth B, the cover should be pretty good with the amount of snow that's fallen. I'd go with the good pair, but they might need a wee service afterwards. wink

sheepmadang, I'd go to Nevis, because Glenshee will be heeeeeaaaaaving ! Quickest way is up the A9 to Dalwhinnie, then cut across to Laggan and down to Spean Bridge.

Although, having said that, if they get all the lifts going at Glenshee then they can handle a lot of punters and the forecast does look marginally better for the East than West on Saturday (but pretty good everywhere).

Sunday looking like heavy snow turning to rain and a fair old wind. Anybody new to Scottish skiing will get a good idea of the contrasts on offer this weekend, I think wink
snow conditions
Just booked a room in Fort William, now need to decide where to go!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, Nevis is about 4 miles and Glencoe about 24 (you go past it to get to Fort William, so it is also on the way home). If you want to go to the others you are really the wrong side of Scotland (50miles to Aviemore, easily the closest).
If the Back corries are open I think they are the best lift served skiing in Scotland. Glencoe is smaller but a really nice, characterful place.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Thu 10-01-08 19:40; edited 1 time in total
latest report
snowball, indeed, I was thinking Nevis and Glen Coe, but if the conditions are good up at Cairngorm then I may well be tempted by the drive.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
brian, Glenshee seem to be managing pretty well with the numbers but the trick will be arriving early at the weekend I think.

On a side note, and as a word of caution to everyone, as someone who learnt at and skied for many years at Cairngorm it saddens me to say that I'd suggest avoiding it if at all possible this weekend. Unlike the other 4 Scottish ski areas for a number of years management at Cairngorm have made decisions that have now led to the downgrading of much of the uplift on the hill apart from the funicular which serves the year round tourist trade. Investment has not been made and tows like the White Lady have been allowed to fall into disrepair, that tow now lies broken and abandoned and untouched since problems occurred last season. This means that there are now massive bottlenecks on the mountain and much of the best terrain on the Core na Ciste side (which I believe is now loaded with snow) is not now properly served by lifts they intend to ever open again, there is one button/poma tow and it's uncertain whether even it will run - all the chairlifts on that side are mothballed and have been for a few years despite there having been a number of occasions when they could have served this side of the hill for more advanced skiers.

Tomorrow Cairngorm intend to run 7 lifts (including the funicular), compare this to Glenshee's 11 and stated intention of opening most, if not all of their 21 lifts by the weekend. The Lecht is in a similar position with 11 open and more probably running at the weekend (but they only have another 4 to open to be fully open), Nevis are intending to open everything bar one by the weekend and tomorrow will have 8 open. Glencoe are opening everything tomorrow but it has a small number of lifts in the first place so that's 7 in total - however some of these serve runs that have been described by some as a Scottish version of La Grave so you get the idea of the challenge available.

At Cairngorm today the one surface lift serving the most challenging runs now available, the M1 Poma which is now relied on along with the funicular to serve the M1 and White Lady, broke leaving only the funicular, two tows in the beginner area at the top and I believe one in the cas gunbarrel, a pretty easy intermediate run.

Additionally I'd suggest that if anything more than a couple of hundred, at a push probably 4/500 people turn up at the weekend there is liable to be chaos and massive queues as a result of the lack of uplift and bottlenecks and all for a few runs on mostly tame terrain.

Sadly the corollary is that we have now reached the situation where there is more lift served terrain of interest to advanced and expert skiers at The Lecht than there is at Cairngorm let alone some of the superb riding that can be had at the other three; Glencoe, Nevis and Glenshee.
snow report
Much though I like it, comparing Glencoe skiing to La Grave is absurd. There is no off piste and just one steep run about 100 yards long (the flypaper). However it is a very entertaining 100 yards.
ski holidays
snowball,
Totally ridiculous comparing Glencoe to La Grave. Glencoe has far more lifts. Laughing

Doing the kiddy sports runs this weekend and golf match already arranged on sunday so no chance of availing myself of the recent snow. Crying or Very sad
latest report
snowball wrote:
Much though I like it, comparing Glencoe skiing to La Grave is absurd. There is no off piste and just one steep run about 100 yards long (the flypaper). However it is a very entertaining 100 yards.

LOL, I never said the people comparing it to La Grave were right though did I wink

I knew that one might be controversial but it's a funny old turn of events when that's the controversial bit rather than my warning people off Cairngorm Sad
latest report
I guess I should post here my report from Nevis today: Best conditions I've seen at Nevis since March 06
http://www.winterhighland.info/publicreports/index.php?50,536

Elizabeth B, At Nevis today I hit 2 stones no real damage (scratches but no need for p-tex)
sheepmadang, either both have most of there runs open Glenshee is bigger and can handle more people but may be busyer. If you are happy skiing blues all day go to Nevis as the quad chair can move a lot of people and is less popular than the Goose T bar serving the red runs. Also Warrens is normaly quieter than the Goose and has a red and a black run off it.

I my go tomorrow just have to feel my legs in the morning rolling eyes
ski holidays
II, sounds pretty awesome - nice one! snowHead
latest report
sheepmadang and anyone else heading up to Nevis Saturday who wants to get together with us, if you want to PM me with your mobile numbers I can send you a text when we're on the hill or stopped for lunch. Sunday I don't know where we'll be so will play it by ear on that one.

Now I need to charge my camera batteries up and work out what I'm taking - waxing skis will have to be done tomorrow...

Have to admit I'm getting really excited now! snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead
ski holidays
T Bar wrote:
snowball,
Totally ridiculous comparing Glencoe to La Grave. Glencoe has far more lifts. Laughing

Very Happy
Quote:
Doing the kiddy sports runs this weekend and golf match already arranged on sunday so no chance of availing myself of the recent snow. Crying or Very sad
Yes, wish I could be there too Sad
ski holidays
 brian
brian
To be fair to the coe, they don't actually piste the likes of the flypaper, spring run, canyon, etc. In fact prior to 1990-ish (?) they didn't have a piste basher ! It has the wilderness feel of La Grave, just on a tiny (by comparison) scale. It's a really fun place to ski.

Anyway, I've settled on Glenshee (Scotland's Trois Vallées Laughing) for tomorrow. Looks like a crackin day in prospect. Very Happy

Far too promising to go to work anyway. wink

Last edited by brian on Thu 10-01-08 23:23; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 brian
brian
roga, I have to agree with you on the tragic policies and decline at Cairngorm in the wake of that bloody train set Sad

On Saturday there will no doubt be a full Cas car park, folk having a huge delay as they have to wait to bus round from the Ciste (with its closed ticket office and closed chairlifts), then another big queue at the overrun Cas ticket office (did I mention the Ciste one was closed) and then a big queue to get up one of the access lifts (while the Ciste chairs and DL poma sit idle).

However, although you do have to traverse a bit earlier out of the gully or the west wall to get back to the poma, to say the Lecht offers more challenge is overstating things just a tad, mate wink

If the west wall, white lady, m1 etc. are in good nick then Cairngorm is still a great place to ski, despite CML's best efforts rolling eyes
snow report
brian wrote:
To be fair to the coe, they don't actually piste the likes of the flypaper, spring run, canyon, etc. In fact prior to 1990-ish (?) they didn't have a piste basher ! It has the wilderness feel of La Grave, just on a tiny (by comparison) scale. It's a really fun place to ski.

I think that's what the people mentioning La Grave are getting at... as I said I didn't say I agreed though Wink
Quote:
Anyway, I've settled on Glenshee (Scotland's Trois Vallées Laughing) for tomorrow. Looks like a crackin day in prospect. Very Happy

Good choice by all accounts, have a fantastic day snowHead
Quote:
Far too promising to go to work anyway. wink

Oh YES!! Laughing
brian wrote:
roga, I have to agree with you on the tragic policies and decline at Cairngorm in the wake of that bloody train set Sad

On Saturday there will no doubt be a full Cas car park, folk having a huge delay as they have to wait to bus round from the Ciste (with its closed ticket office and closed chairlifts), then another big queue at the overrun Cas ticket office (did I mention the Ciste one was closed) and then a big queue to get up one of the access lifts (while the Ciste chairs and DL poma sit idle).

Yup, been there, done that and I don't want to repeat the experience!
Quote:
However, although you do have to traverse a bit earlier out of the gully or the west wall to get back to the poma, to say the Lecht offers more challenge is overstating things just a tad, mate wink

LOL, I meant when the WW Poma isn't running so the only uplift available is at the top and down the Cas. The Ciste gulley and surrounding runs was always my absolute favourite part of the mountain at Cairngorm and I mourn it's effective loss as a fully lift served area. To be fair though CML (in fact Bob Kinnaird) has said they intend to open the WW Poma for the weekend so that being the case there will be better lift served skiing at Cairngorm than The Lecht, given that nothing breaks down that is!
Quote:
If the west wall, white lady, m1 etc. are in good nick then Cairngorm is still a great place to ski, despite CML's best efforts rolling eyes

Agreed... but without the queues that will very probably build up this weekend!

Anyway, have a fantastic time at Glenshee and be sure to tell us all about it snowHead
ski holidays
roga wrote:
Have to admit I'm getting really excited now! snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead

Me too snowHead
latest report
Elizabeth B wrote:
roga wrote:

Me too snowHead

Me three snowHead snowHead snowHead
latest report
flowa wrote:
Elizabeth B wrote:
roga wrote:

Me too snowHead

Me four snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead
snow report
METRES VERTICAL
Lecht - 200m
Glenshee - 300m
Glencoe - 470 m (usually)
Cairngorm - 500 m
Nevis - 600 m
Glencoe - 730m (currently)

(Glencoe is the only one I checked for myself on the map. Ski Scotland quotes them as 800m.)
snow report
snowball, Glencoe are claiming that it's possible to ski back to the car park, so there must be a descent amount of cover. Only managed that once before on my trips up there.
snow report
The traffic cams on Rannoch moor are showing snow at the side of the road, so it's possible that you may be able to ski down.
snow conditions
Yes, 730m vertical means to the bottom of the access lift - ie the car park. 470m is to the top of the access lift. Their quoted figure of 800m is a substantial rounding-up, even if you skied past the car park to the main road.
Many years ago, when I skied there several times i was able to ski to the car park about half the time (some people on here have suggested I was lucky, but this was not spur of the moment visits but arranged weeks in advance).
ski holidays
skisimon wrote:
flowa wrote:
Elizabeth B wrote:
roga wrote:

Me too snowHead

Me four snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead

Me five Wink

Nah, done that but still excited and will be more so later snowHead Toofy Grin

What a miserable day here in Brizzle, raining heavily and dark so I took a look at the Scottish web cams and they're looking very nice slightly cloudy but clear conditions and some gorgeous looking snow - that's kept a smile on my face despite the rain! snowHead

Anyway, I was sorting out my gear last night and am taking a few extra base layers with me - don't be fooled by reported temperatures of -1 to -3. In the Alps that might be positively balmy, in my experience in Scotland there'll be wind and that'll add wind chill to the equation as well rememberiung the more unsettled forecast for Sunday. The Scottish mountains can be wild (IMHO that's part of the thrill) so I'd suggest packing accordingly.

Having said that I'm trying to minimise what I'm taking which is not easy for me - I'm the idiot who turned up for 3 days at the Atomic Boot Camp in Tignes with a couple of weeks worth of luggage lol Embarassed

Lastly - whayhey IT'S ALMOST THE WEEKEND!!!!! snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead
ski holidays
skisimon, could you check your inbox please - mesages from Topsmoke re tonight Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Have done. Heading over for about 10.30 too.

I'm glad I'm not the only person who has trouble packing (rather than learning to pack economically with the Navy, I just seemed to learn how to cram more into the same amount of space...) - going to be restrained this time, I'll wear most of my ski gear up to save on space.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy