Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Anyone for Scotland - 12/13 Jan?

Poster: A snowHead
With conditions currently so good in Scotland and more snow on the way this week Topsmoke and myself are planning a trip up this weekend (12th/13th January) from the South West (I'm in Bristol, he's in Cheltenham).

If anyone else fancies coming along/meeting up/car sharing then please send either of us a PM ASAP.

We'll be driving up Friday evening and probably heading to Nevis for Saturday, then staying b+b Saturday night at Insh Hall Lodge in Kincraig (7 miles south of Aviemore) before doing, again provisionally, Cairngorm Sunday then back down south Sunday evening.

C'mon you know you want to and it'll be an adventure! snowHead snowHead
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
roga, Might well take a trip up on Sat, but it would probably be Glencoe or Glenshee for us, as they can be done in a day - well a very long day.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
srobbo, not sure if Glencoe will be open, it's the one that's so far failed to open this year, could have been due to high winds rather than lack of snow though.

Glenshee seems like a pretty excellent choice though, both there and the Lecht have been getting some pretty excellent reports over on Winterhighland in the last couple of days - check out some of the superb photos here snowHead

Have a great time wherever you go though, conditions look truly excellent at the moment!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Local skiers - car share - weekend raid - snow on the ground in Scotland - priceless!!

Oh, if I'd have known this 24 hours ago... Evil or Very Mad

I've just committed to family stuff for this weekend but would be keen to know of similar forays.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
sproggski wrote:
Local skiers - car share - weekend raid - snow on the ground in Scotland - priceless!!

But cheap! Very Happy Laughing
Quote:
Oh, if I'd have known this 24 hours ago... Evil or Very Mad

I've just committed to family stuff for this weekend but would be keen to know of similar forays.

C'mon, call yerself a snowhead - ditch those family commitments Wink

Seriously though, if these conditions lead into as good a season as some are hoping there may well be other rips up there so yup, will let you know if there are any more happening. The nature of Scottish skiing means that any trips are liable to be last minute though so bear that in mind.

If anyone else in the area (or anyone who can get to us or be easily picked up on the way) wants to know about any future forays just let us know and we'll keep you informed too snowHead
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Current forecasts suggest that Saturday will be the better day with heavy snow on Sunday down to about 2000' -2500'. But this will propably change rolling eyes

Glenshee has the better snow at the moment but Nevis was OK yesterday (I managed to ski back to the gondola station just) I will be there on Thursday so will update you on the conditions then. Looking out the window now looks like there has been a bit of snow overnight down to 1500' here (40 miles as the crow flies from Nevis)

I'm PM you my mobile number and meet you at Nevis on Saturday if thats where you choose. I'm quite lazy so probably won't be there untill 10.30 or so.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hmm, This will be my last weekend before going away for my next two, so I don't think my wife would be happy to have me going away. Does anyone want to go up there during the week, next week - or is there any good skier I could ski with when I got up there?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
This is seriously tempting. Would you be driving up the M6?
ski holidays
 brian
brian
snowball, I was going to pm you but since you're on this thread .... I'm contemplating taking a day off work next week. It's a bit far off weatherwise to say which day yet. Currently looks like Monday might be good.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
For anyone who is sort of interested I cant go this weekend but the week after I could leave work on the thursday probably around 5ish (liverpool!) and head up to Nevis and ski fri and sat but i have a family thing I have to go to on Saturday night sunday in edinburgh ??? so could only do a lift up or meet with others for a ski !
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
roga,

Out of curiosity, how long does the drive up there takes?

I would love to do the same one week-end..Can't this time around as I am off to Austria the next wedneday and need to prepare, but in the future... snowHead
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Elizabeth B wrote:
This is seriously tempting. Would you be driving up the M6?

Not sure because we haven't planned a route yet lol Laughing Toofy Grin

It's Topsmokes car so why not PM him and see what he thinks Very Happy

BTW, word is there's going to be another serious dump later today/tonight and more topping it up over the next few days and Saturday is looking very good at the moment, although as II says it may well change.

Should be a cracking weekend though snowHead
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
II wrote:
Current forecasts suggest that Saturday will be the better day with heavy snow on Sunday down to about 2000' -2500'. But this will propably change rolling eyes .

As always! Laughing
Quote:
Glenshee has the better snow at the moment but Nevis was OK yesterday (I managed to ski back to the gondola station just) I will be there on Thursday so will update you on the conditions then. Looking out the window now looks like there has been a bit of snow overnight down to 1500' here (40 miles as the crow flies from Nevis)

Excellent, sounds good to me
Quote:
I'm PM you my mobile number and meet you at Nevis on Saturday if thats where you choose. I'm quite lazy so probably won't be there untill 10.30 or so.

Fantastic, that'd be great snowHead
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
roga, do you know what sort of time you'll be setting off?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hi all,

Just got off the phone too Inch Hall Lodge 01540 651272 we are now booked to stay there on Sat 12th Jan for one night.
They have plenty of availability at the moment i paid £51 for a twin room inc Breakfast.
I was thinking of leaving Late Fri Night Maybe around midnight ish from Cheltenham Gloucestershire heading up the m5/m6 way but that could alter should anyone else care to join.
I have room in the car for 1 or possibly 2 more people at a push. wink

Regards Mark
snow conditions
Topsmoke, I have sent you a PM.
ski holidays
skisimon wrote:
Topsmoke, I have sent you a PM.

Your in wink

Regards Mark
snow conditions
skisimon, welcome on board Toofy Grin
snow report
Fantastic stuff. I look forward to a bit of skiing and meeting another couple of snowHeads.
snow conditions
skisimon wrote:
Fantastic stuff. I look forward to a bit of skiing and meeting another couple of snowHeads.

Excellent snowHead

I think we have a full car now so if anyone else fancies coming we could go for a convoy up - anyone want to add their car to the trip? Toofy Grin
snow report
Could you guys give me an idea of how the drive there would take from London/Essex?
ski holidays
 brian
brian
Kruisler, something like 8-10 hours depending on where you were headed plus x if you run into traffic problems.
ski holidays
I may head up to Scotland this weekend also, for once I'm not working it!

Got an email from Glen Coe today saying:
Quote:
The ski season kicks off Friday 11th January at 10am. All runs complete. Fresh snow falling.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Could be a bit of a party going on up there then snowHead
ski holidays
if anyones going in feb or march and passing by manchester can i come
snow report
brian, well I would have to be driving up on the monday, since as I said I would need to be with my wife on the weekend- and I agreed a week ago to be interviewed by an art student on this Friday.
So really it would be Tuesday and perhaps wednesday for me to ski and then home Wednesday night. Thursday night is when my friends collect at my house prior to an early flight on Friday.
Not quite decided yet if I'll come up but it is very tempting.
I generally prefer Nevis (or Nevis one day and Glencoe the next), particularly if the back is open, but I'm happy to go east if you prefer or if the snow/weather is better there.
ski holidays
 brian
brian
snowball, ok, Tuesday or Wednesday would suit me quite well. I'll keep watching the forecasts and see if the weather will play ball.

Those of you going at the weekend, Saturday is still shaping up to be a belter. There's been very heavy snow overnight and this morning on storm force winds. There'll be some very deep drifts but also quite a bit of scouring I would think. It should calm down a bit between now and the weekend and the forecasts currently show a little ridge of high pressure giving a weather window on Saturday. Saturday night and into Sunday another low moves in, giving further snow, probably turning to rain at least at lower levels.
snow report
brian, looks like it may well be a belter yes, something in the order of 30cm of snow has been reported overnight and more is on the way. The wind is the unpredictable factor and has been gale force but hopefully it's blown loads of fresh into the gullies and snow fences where it's collecting.

Oh, and by all accounts the back corries at Nevis are now absolutely loaded! snowHead
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Woo hoo snowHead
snow conditions
Aye they had some storm last night, gusts upto 135mph at Cairngorm. Hopefully it'll be nice and settled for the weekend.
snow report
roga wrote:

Oh, and by all accounts the back corries at Nevis are now absolutely loaded! snowHead
loaded with wind blown snow? How are they for avalanches?
ski holidays
 brian
brian
snowball, this is the latest bulletin:

http://www.sais.gov.uk/page_lochaber.asp

The back corries face E.
latest report
So with wind slab on NE to SE facing slopes and avalanche danger 4 we'll have to hope things change by next week. I don't imagine they blow the back corries - I suppose they just have to stabilise.
snow conditions
Nice to hear Snowheads so enthusiastic about skiing in Scotland. Believe it or not you're making me quite homesick. Although I am based in L2A, home is Newtonmore. All the best, hope your trip is great fun. Rod
ski holidays
snowball wrote:
loaded with wind blown snow?

Yup, in general there's no other type of snow in Scotland - the winds and conditions tend to be much fiercer than in the Alps.
Quote:
How are they for avalanches?

As in the forecast brian links to category 4 today and category 3 tomorrow.
snowball wrote:
So with wind slab on NE to SE facing slopes and avalanche danger 4 we'll have to hope things change by next week. I don't imagine they blow the back corries - I suppose they just have to stabilise.

Not entirely sure but I seem to recall the ski patrol will at the very least check it for safety despite it's off piste status - they may well do some firing too... someone on Winterhighland will know for sure!

We will have to be very, very careful indeed and I believe it's standard practice to check with the ski patrol to see if the back is safe or not (they have a hut at the top apparently).

Here's a link to the Nevis Range website page about the back corries, it includes links to some quite stunning photos too so look out for them snowHead
ski holidays
Photos look great. Now all we need is for someone to book the blue skies for Sat snowHead
snow report
Blue skies and low winds are forecast for Fri/Sat, more snow after that.
snow report
Many years ago when they first opened Nevis it was closed for a couple of days with a snowstorm. I arrived the next morning and, after a few runs, asked someone on the summit who seemed to be a sort of pisteur where the back bowl was (not sure I knew the word corries then). He showed me the top end of an untouched bowl of deep powder and I made the first tracks (the "pisteur" watched me then followed). Fantastic day. Don't remember any windpack that time.
(sorry - told this story before Toofy Grin )

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Wed 9-01-08 23:10; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Getting all rather excited now. Just a couple of days to go... Madeye-Smiley

If the snow keeps on coming we should have a Scotland Bash in February! snowHead
ski holidays
skisimon wrote:
If the snow keeps on coming we should have a Scotland Bash in February! snowHead

I thought we were having a mini one this weekend? Cool
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy