Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Rear entry boots - history lesson please.

Poster: A snowHead
Spyderman,
Quote:

probably because thet were basically wellies.

So you have had at least one pair of waterproof boots Toofy Grin Laughing
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hansons were absolutely bizarre boots. In retrospect it's amazing anyone bought them (and I must admit I was selling them!). There was once model that was fitted out with bladders that contained a kind of hot wax. The machine blew up in our shop.

As you say, Spyderman, the problem with Hansons was that they were almost unskiable!

At Alpine Sports in London we used to sell the all-American combination of Hanson boots, Spademan bindings and Hexcel skis. And in the mid-late 70s there was so much money flying about in the equipment business. We'd sell several sets on a Saturday.

The best boot around that time was actually the Nordica 'banana boot' - Astral Slalom, I think it was called. Conventional 4-clip, but very nice. And Lange were making the very tough black-shelled boots that wouldn't flex.

It's time we had an equipment museum in this country.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
David Goldsmith, was that lange the Ti or the Tii or something like that, remember the boot but not the name ..... came in black with a sort of rough finish on the cuff and really agressive clips
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
David Goldsmith, an equipment musuem. What an excellent idea.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
David Murdoch, yep, tourists will queue round the block for this one wink. I'll donate my old thermals.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
CEM wrote:
really agressive clips

What are aggressive clips - do they bite when you try to do them up? Wink
David Murdoch wrote:
David Goldsmith, an equipment musuem. What an excellent idea.

Yup, years ago there was one mooted for Scotland (probably Aviemore) and they said the collection was ready and funding in the pipeline... that was the last I heard of it though sadly!

I agree though, we really could do with somewhere in the UK that preserved, kept and displayed some of the ski heritage we have in this country. The USA seems really hot on this kinda thing with loads of ski museums in resorts and even heritage races etc.

BTW, I well remember the old Salomon rear entry boots, I had a pair of SX90s myself bought from IIRC Frith Finlayson at the D'Ecosse Ski shop in Aviemore, as I think it was then... or is my memory cheating me?

As I recall before Salomon there were a few rear entry boots around but Salomon managed to popularise this style of boot more than any other manufacturer and on the back of their success a number of other manufacturers followed suit... or is my memory cheating me? Wink

They were blooming bricks though, very uncomfortable as I recall and didn't hold the feet at all well in the boot!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
CEM wrote:
David Goldsmith, was that lange the Ti or the Tii or something like that, remember the boot but not the name ..... came in black with a sort of rough finish on the cuff and really agressive clips

The Ti was Black, sort of a crackle matt black finish. the race version was orange, I think it was called the 'XLR', same finish, but even stiffer.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Tue 8-01-08 12:21; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
roga, like Vielhaber skis? I recall the gold plated ones, how I lusted after a pair. When I was a kid Frith Finlayson was responsible for renting me my lace up leather boots and cable mounted skis...I seem to recall a sound chap - but this was a long time ago and I was just a nipper.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
roga,
Quote:

What are aggressive clips - do they bite when you try to do them up?

not far off, they were not very user friendly shall we say, there was no nice rounded buckles in them days
Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I remember Nordica made a knee high boot, soon discontinued as it resulted in so many Knee injuries.

I have a pair of Hexcel skis in the loft. My first pair of skis. Toofy Grin
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
David Murdoch, Frith Finlayson has written an autobiography. Can't remember what it's called. His signature is in my 1975 BASI licence. His role in Scottish skiing has been remarkable. Hope the old boy is still thriving up in Aviemore - haven't seen him for so long. His son, Iain (BASI trainer etc.) suddenly dropped dead in Les Deux Alpes many years ago - I think from a heart attack.

From memory, Frith was one of the team who put up the pylons of the original Glencoe single chairlift up to the plateau.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Spyderman, knee high boots... forget the name of that Nordica although it was grey and red. Dolomite had the Secret Weapon. But, yes, both bit the dust as the knees started exploding.

Quote:

I think it was called the 'XLR'
had a pair of those. reckon they'd still cut the mustard today. The Ti range were the start of the heat moulding footbeds... shops plugged people into the mains and fried 'em.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Bode Swiller, Nordica "Neptune"? nooooo, "Trident" that was the one. My how we all laughed.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I can't resist it, here's what the New York Times had to say on , January 16, 1983, about "NEW LOOKS IN SKI EQUIPMENT",

Quote:
Skiers in the market for equipment and clothing this season will find many new options, whether their preference be alpine skiing or cross-country. Technology is the byword, with strong but light spaceage materials replacing metal, and skis are showing up in fashion colors with bold graphics.

Among innovations designed to improve ski performance is Rossignol's Vibration Absorbing System (VAS), and, for cross-country skiers, there is Trak's Top-Competition Tuning Ski, which cn be adjuted to increase or reduce its camber. Technical advancements are making for better fit and performance in boots and for greater safety in ski bindings. The trend seems to be toward considering boots and bindings as one unit. As for clothing, it looks like the season of the suit on the slopes.

Skis. The cosmetic development is possibly epitomized by the Suzy Chaffee La Femme Sportive ($225) and Snow Dancer ($185), both by Hart USA. The Sportive, a high-performance ski for women, comes in pink. The Snow Dancer in navy blue is more of a recreational ski. The Hart Ballet Ski ($300) is purple with red and white pinstipe down the side. Gaudy. And intentionally so. Ballet skier, a breed comparble to figure skaters, combine choreography with aerial movement and axials. It s adherents think the sport has a good chance of being included in the 1988 Olympics.

The ultimate status symbol must be the handmade custom-tailored ski offered by Lacroix for $1,000. It bears the signature of Leo Lacroix, skis are cheaper, f course. The manager of one ski shop in New York says he has them for as little as $380 and that regular prices of adult skis in general start at $160.

Rossignol's Vibration Absorbing System is not a new idea, but most attempts in the past to reduce vibrations have succeeded all to well, killing the life in the ski. Rossignol has come up with three competition skis and one in the sport category that it says selectively absorbe shock rather than fight it, and increase ski-tosnow contract.

Dotted lines on the base of the ski show where the VAS damping elements are positioned. Each element which approximately 28 metals wires are encased. The sport model, the First VAS, cots $310.

Boots. Nordica has, int he Trident, coe up with rear-entry boots that use an air-fit system. The Trident ($225), available in men's and women's size, has a pump and air release valve - integrated into the boot - that is used to adjust the fit. The fit of the Poseidon ($195), in men's sizes only, is determined by an interior plate that can be adjusted by rotating a knob on the outside.

Nordica also offers what it calls its Integral system, which combines an odd-looking boot with a short sole with a Look ski binding. Since the sole is the same length regardless of boot size, there is no need to adjust a ski's bindings when the wearer of the boot steps into the bindings. This makes the combined system a natural for rentals, since skiers don't need help with adjustmnts. In fact the system was tested successfully on a rental basis at Stratton Mountain in Vermont last winter. There are two versions - the 7007, a high-performance system at $359.95, an the 5005 at $249.95, for the recreational skier.

Anyone who has suffered fro cold feet on the slopes will welcome the Panaja Alpine Boot Muff ($45 a pair), a patented product developed by Don Henderson, a former United Staes Ski Team coach, and manufactured by Reliable Racing Supply. The muffs, of insulated nylon in choice of four colors, are said to keep the feet warm and dry, the boots pliable. A leather version is priced at $90.

Ski Bindings. The Marker Ski Binding Company's M-35, 25 and 15 bindings use new light materials for heel holder and toe housing. The Look bindings boast the Sensor button, a device on the toe of the binding that is said to anticipate forward twisting falls, which account for more than 40 percent of injuries. And Tyrolia, in its three top-of-the-line models, the 380RD, 380D and 280D ($145. $135 and $110), offers a system by which the binding releases no matter how or in which direction the skier falls. Meanwhile, integrated ski brakes that are fully retractable have become standard in the industry.

New on the market is a little electronic gadjet clled the Ski Hummer that can be attached to the ski behind the binding with Velcro tape. When the ski releases from the boot the device makes a humming sound, so that loose skis cn be detected in deep powder. Hardly cheap at $89.98 a pair, but less than new skis.

Clothing. The dominant feature is the suit, whether it be a onepiece jump style, a vest-sweater-pants mix, a reversible or one of the new collection of windsuits that can be worn over layered separates in cold weather or over less clothing in balmy spring temperatures. Fuchia, purple and lavender tone are strong, as is offwhite, but bright colors haven't been overlooked.

Cross-country. The SR-40 boot, a touring version of Salomon's racing boot/binding system, has a high-cut leather boot treated with polyurethane for water repellency. The sole is plastic with a groove that fits over a ridged bindig plate for added lateral control. The flex point is in the binding rather than the boot, which makes it a lot easier on the skier's toes. Boot and binding sell for $75.

There's also a dial-a-camber ski with a knob that can be tuned to soften the camber on dry snow and stiffen it on wet snow, an can be adjusted according to the strength or ability of the skier.

Trak's no-wax Top Competition Tuning Ski, intended primarily for the citizen racer, is designed to do just this. The secret is a strip of synthetic material extending the maximum length of the camber pocket that cn be tightened or lossened with a turn of the knob. A waxable version, the Vario, is put out by Kneissl, a Trak subsidiary. Both turning skis are $230.

The enthusiam for back-country skis with metal edges, sturdier boots and turdier three-pin bindigs, such as the two Master Telemark bindings being introduced by Rotefella. One of the new skis, the Phoenix Wilderness ($175), with intricate red and black graphics on a gray bae, has a certain cachet from having been used by Ned Gillette and Jan Reynolds on their circumnavigation of Mount Everest.

Randal Merrell, renowned for custom hiking boots that sell for $425 plus a $50 fitting fee, ha turned his attention to ski boots. His knowledge of the American foot combined with high production standards at an Italian job sho has resulted in the Merrell XCD and the Merrell XCD Velcro, both at $140.

Polypropylene, often used in underwear because it allows the air to come in the evaporate perspiration, is also being put into sweaters, pants, gloves and jackets. Mother Lode of Lorimor, Iowa, includes a polypropylene terry lining in jackets of a stretch woven material (91 percent nylon, 9 percent Lycara) that tem up with matching knickers in bright colors, and Patagonia Softwear of Ventura, Calif., is offering jackets and pants of windproof nylon with polypropylene insulation.

It's always a good idea in the back country to take a shovel along for snow caves and digging out avalanche victims. Alpine Research of Golden, Colo., has come up with a new 21-ounce collapsible one made of a super tough nylon, at $34.95.

And for those poor souls who are forever colliding with sharp rocks and stumps when bending the knee fo telemark turns the company sells knee pads that provide protection an warmth without interfering with knee flex ($29.95.)

Shades of that funny British Whissa thing there,
Quote:
The Sportive, a high-performance ski for women, comes in pink.

And clearly the Americans do do irony,
Quote:
Fuchia, purple and lavender tone are strong, as is offwhite, but bright colors haven't been overlooked.
Puzzled Puzzled
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
David Murdoch, Blimey I feel old, i remember most of that gear, apart from the Cross country stuff.

Remember the Hexcel Split tail skis?
snow report
Spyderman,So do I. The Hexcels? I do. and funnily enough that idea has cycled back in again.
snow report
David Murdoch, I rescued my Hexcel's down from the loft tonight. I am shocked as to how light they are compared to the modern stuff. Might just go and give them a ski one day soon, just to bring back memories.
latest report
salomon went from Rear to hybrids and then to true four clips. I have to admit that i used my Salomon Integral Equipe 9.1s last season, they are well over 10years old, I actually was given them when on work Experience at Salomon! I spent most of my time doing boot repairs to SX series and binding mountings on their at the time revolutionary monocoque skis as a 17yr old is was an amazing experience...ended up working with them for 3yrs.

The old Integrals fit like a glove and were perfect for getting my little one onto his skis last year with so much standing around etc. I have a pair of x-screams and whilst they are a more agressive fit, they are also a pain to get on and off and much less confortable Razz

My memories of those rear entry boots are positive, they had tons of adjustment which you could easily do with gloved hands, you could fit all manner of shims, wedges etc to the footplate and at the time the little pouch which came with the sx92 Equipes (orange ones) was cool Laughing

I just dug the following up as a trip down memory lane...

Nodica's RE effort of the time

almost the last version of the SX92, i think the final had a strap and then there was the force9 version etc...

The the Salomon hybrid boot...Integral which used different thickness and stiffness of plastics on the upper and lower shell, retained some RE features like instand ability to stand upright and micro cable adjustment on the forefoot

HTH
david
latest report
Spyderman, I compared my 201cm Rossi 9S (1995?) with my Rossi 190cm GS (2005?) a couple of weeks ago. Now to my morden tuned eyes the 190s looked pretty straight (they're the "WC" version) but a HUGE sidecut compared to the 9Ss and MASSIVELY heavier. Doesn't incline my to give the 9Ss a shot though (although I adored them when they were new).

skinutter, Marvellous. Did the SX92 change functionally in all it's incarnations or was it merely cosmetic like Dr Who? I seem to recall thinking that the very last version with strap was just the "original" SX92 Equipe in different colours...
snow report
I will aways remember when at a salomon seminar, the first of the integral boots being unveiled and them handing it round, at this point they told us of all the adjustments that could be made with the 'torx key' whioch they supplied..... bet they wish they hadn't given us a key as well...... we [nevisport and Blues staff] took the boot into 23 seperate parts using the torx key and a small screwdriver on a multi tool, and handed it back in peices layed out on a tray Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin .... never did find out how long it took them to re build it Little Angel
ski holidays
I had a pair of the pink integrals, they disintegrated from the inside out, the smell from the liners was so bad they made me feel ill getting them out the bag. Shocked
snow report
Edit - double entry.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Wed 9-01-08 10:10; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Spyderman, what twice Toofy Grin
snow report
LOL the pink ones were bit brittle I seem to remember, however the race version with the solid rear bar (forget the name...) was almost a complete size smaller size for size and the liner was very thin. I have the later version which is kinda purple metallic.....looking top dollar with my orange 1080's Shocked

@David Murdoch - I seem to remember that they started witha single side buckle with micro adjustment, then later went to a push down clip flush with the rear of the boot and for the last versions reverted to a side clip and the rear ankle hold clip that you pulled up on the back. Been far too much wine in the intervening years to have a clear memory anymore Razz
snow conditions
My first boots were a fantastically comfy pair made by some Italian outfit - San Giorgio or something. Someone told me that they were connected to Nordica. I bought them somewhere near Aviemore for bug all, they lasted for years. I eventually gave them up as they were too soft, but never a minute's discomfort. They had 2 ratcheted straps around the back of the boot, upper and lower, with closure levers. I don't remember anything on the front of the boot to reduce the volume.
latest report
Quote:

Clothing. The dominant feature is the suit, whether it be a onepiece jump style, a vest-sweater-pants mix, a reversible or one of the new collection of windsuits that can be worn over layered separates in cold weather or over less clothing in balmy spring temperatures. Fuchia, purple and lavender tone are strong, as is offwhite, but bright colors haven't been overlooked.

Oh YEAH Cool
snow report
I bought some second hand SX91 Equipe boots in the 1980s. They suited my feet as I have narrow ankles and wide (and problematically painful) front parts of my feet. The diagonal internal cable pulls my heel down very effectively for good control of the ski. As my feet spread with age, I could no longer fit my old SX91s so tried various others from ski hire shops over the last few years (always paying for what counts as "top-of-the-range" in a ski hire shop). I never found anything that held my heel down properly; most were also very painful to wear. So last year I went on eBay and found myself a larger pair of 20+ year old SX91s. They are easily the best ski boots I have ever tried in terms of: 1. direct control of the ski, 2. Comfort, 3. Speed of getting them on and off (seconds not minutes), 4, ease of adjustment with gloves on. My experience (with my weird-shaped feet) is thus the opposite of other's on this thread who consider them to offer less control of the ski that 4-clip boots. The old plastic is holding up so far but I am concerned for the future. Will any manufacturers bring out new rear-entry boots? The most important thing for me is the diagonal cable to hold my heel down - I ski quite fast down black mogul fields so want the control.
ski holidays
snowheads@neater.co.uk, Is someone helping you to use the internet?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
To be honest although I was never a huge fan of the R.E. boot I always thought they were comfortable and ideal for the 1-2 week a year holiday skier. I was also happy that they purged the hire shops of all the ancient boots many of them had been dishing out until R.E was the thing to have. Mind you I also remember the grief I got for buying "old fashioned" Dynafit 3F's at the time too - I always liked those boots!
snow conditions
My first two pairs of ski boots were rear entry. To me they have a huge advantage over the current fashion for front entry boots, they are soooooooo much easier to put on and off. I'll be first in the queue when fashion changes again.
snow report
here's some!

snow report
The latest batch of hire boots at the Chill Factore are rear entry!
ski holidays
My current boots are museum pieces from the exact moment that Salomon was giving up on rear entry but hadn't fully embraced 'normal' boots. They are salmon pink and called (I think) Integrale Equipe's. They were advertised as 'mid entry'. The whole of the forefoot has a rigid shell with a couple of adjusters for the internal fit (which don't work properly imo), the cuffs lever upwards from the back and fasten across the front with a couple of clips and a velcro strap.

I've allways thought them a bit naf, but perversely I've continued using them because they are (finally) quite comfortable. I've been wary of all the hype attached to new gear as well.

However, the era is nearly over. I've got an appointment with CEM next Wednesday for a boot fitting. It will be interesting to hear what he has to say about my old Salomons.
snow conditions
"finally" quite comfortable? Spud9, ? I think you mean, finally the foam has compressed sufficiently that they're quite comfortable even though they make no contact with your feet. Get thee to Bicester.
snow report
under a new name, I'm sure your right, although comfort was eventually achieved with the aid of a stanley knife, and the removal of about 2 square inches of inner boot to make room for a bunnion joint.

Whatever, I'm off to Bicester on Wednesday snowHead
latest report
Spud9, I'm sure I am too. He he he.

Colin will sort you out.
ski holidays
My old rear entry Nordicas were super comfy. I didn't even mind walking in them much. I realise now they were way too big but this wasn't an issue at the time. I now have much better fitting Salomon front entry boots which take an age to get on and off and I have virtually no chance if they are already cold. This must surely be the next development in boot technology. Everything we currently have but with greater flexibility.
snow report
Cough.

Er, I retired my SX91s in Season 2008 having enjoyed them for too many years since the mid eighties.
Getting a replacement pair of boot to fit and be comfortable was difficult and a longish story but not really relevant.
I have to say the Sx91s were a very easy to put on, comfortable boot with an excellent flex adjustment that allowed exaggerated flex demos one minute and a 'zip up' stiff flex for a blast the next..................................... rolling eyes
ski holidays
Maersk, I am going to admit that teh flex adjustment on my SX92s was pretty amazing from nothing to bombproof in one easy movement.

Oddly enough (must be a fashion thing) I went from SX92s to Tecnica TNTs as well. Now that was a full on boot. Yum. And very tasteful colours as well.
ski holidays
I'm slightly surprised to read so many others are still so positive about SX91s. I was hoping for advice on something else as effective at keeping my heel down without cutting off circulation to other parts of my feet. Altis, do the Chill Fatore hire boots have the diagonal cable? I am interested to hear what CEM say to Spud9 about his/her old Salomons and whether they can recommend anything...(fashion is not an issue) Puzzled
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy