Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Morillon/ Flaine/ Samoens

Poster: A snowHead
RetroBod, relax..... some lifts might be late opening but most will be open..... there is most definately a god as it co-insides with our day off..... Toofy Grin
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
marcellus, have a good one. snowHead
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
pam w, thanks I honestly did try........... agreed that breakfast would be at served at 08:00...... and it was............ clients packed off by 09:00......... ran around like crazy for an hour (a day off isn't actually a day off) and at 10:15 was changed and Katie and I headed off.............. into the cloud that is Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad we skied around a bit and then some more but retired early....
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Marcellus you should have headed up here, perfect bluebird all day, I was going mental on a borrowed pair of K2 Coombas!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
danjunk, i know, i heard....................... when are we seeing you again?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Soon. Over the weekend?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Got to say had the best ski of my life down an unpisted Lucifer in knee deep powder under gorgeous bluebird skies. Life doesn't come any better! Also Fred was open first time this week.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
chalet outing today.............. Cascades............................ should be good..........

danjunk, we've got 14 in this weekend but we're empty all next week so that would be favourite!!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Just returned today from a week in Les Carroz and can say the conditions in the GM are just awesome. After snow Tuesday and a couple of cloudy(ish) days I can safely say yesterday, under clear blue skies, was the best day I have had on my skis for at least ten years.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
danjunk, Are you located in Flanie itself or one of the other villages?

With regards to a question you asked further back in the thread about why anyone would choose to buy or rent in Montsoleil. For me, i love the GM but last year in LC was a bit of a pain with the kids so wanted the convenience of Flaine. However with my youngest being three we need some distraction so a pool was a prerequisite. Had already set my heart on the GM, especially when i am bringing ten newbies to the GM and have raved about it to them and insisted i could give them a good guide to which pistes would be suitable for each of their levels. Then i found that the public pool was closed this winter so it then had to be Montsoleil, plus the WII's in the rooms was a deal clincher.

Look after that snow for us. wink
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
ianbradders, danjunk, lives in Flaine itself.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
marcellus, Thanks, so he is the definitive guide to all things Flainoise then.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
dankjunk is your man for everything in Flaine, I'm Carroz and know Sameons and Morrillon very wel but don't often get over to Flaine.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
marcellus, wish i had known snowHead 's the previous three years that i visited LC and the GM.

Saying that i have found it wonderful finding my own way around both village and on the slopes. Do you know how Sixt is skiing this time of year? i have been down Cascades a couple of years ago but it was poor lower down so we didnt do any of the slopes at Sixt.

As they are the only runs i havent done i was considering trying them out in a couple of weeks.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I skiied Cascades on Thursday with clients....... the piste was in great condition all the way to the bottom........ it's the second time I've done it in the past few weeks and I still can't make my mind up about it..... the 1st time it wasn't great near the end so I said one which was a tick in the box but not to be repeated... last week clients really wanted to so it, like you had skiid the GM but never Cascades so off we set as a chalet day out and skiid it..... for the brave there's not that much polling but some skating for the rest there's quite a bit of polling........... it was nice and quiet, the scenery was very nice and it made a good day out............... to my mind the experience is better than the run itself...
ski holidays
Good to know, did you get to ski those few runs at Sixt/Salvagney though?

Are they worth a run down Cascades? as you said in your reply Cascades is one i have "ticked the box of" but not those few.

I will probably do Cascades at least with two of our party who are good skiiers just for some variety, if i remember correctly the only flat bit is where you first cut off Serpentine isnt it?

I guess we will just wait and see and if the conditions are good all the way to the bottom we will try it, i did love those turns you can take at speed at the end of the run where you are coming down the face of the what on finishing and looking back looks like a cliff.
ski holidays
always29 wrote:
Seems this thread is where those in the know locally hang out!

We are a mixed bag of 12 skiers / boarders coming out to Samoens in a couple of weeks and am looking for advice on the lift passes - there are some of us who will undoubtedbly go for the Grand Massif pass but we have 6 novice boarders / skiers (2 of whom are booked into ski school so probably that will govern their lift pass choice). They are on their 2nd or 3rd week on the snow and haven't been in yonks so would the local pass suffice for 6 days, some of the issue is saving money but also not a lot of point forking out another 33€ when it looks as if there are loads of greens & blues that would keep them happy!

Thank you, you lovely people!

We went to Samoens last year with our kids age 8 and 10 - hubby a 4 week skier, kids 2 weeks and me loads, but totally unfit. We bought the Grand Massif pass, but we only went into to Flaine once... there was more than enough skiing in Samoens/Morillion and Carroz... however towards the end of the week some of the runs in Carroz were closed and we did feel that if we had been coming the following week would have gone to Flaine more often as the snow seemed better there.

We are currently having the same dilemma about Grand Bornard, because we only went to Flaine once even though that was skiable whereas in Grand Bornard to ski Clusaz you need to drive or take a bus.

Interestingly when we were discussing this the other night I said to hubby we had been to Flaine twice, but he pointed out that the first day we only used lifts that were available on the normal pass, so you can go a fair distance without upgrading.

So, I would say if the snow is holding up then the 2nd or 3rd weekers might as well save the money.
latest report
Wow! What a week. Half term week started with 2 days of clear blue skies and not too many queues... then WOW - a day of snowy slopes followed by a night of dumping and a dream of a day to follow. Started the day on Verlarge piste in Samoens - a red which is not often good due to being one of the lower shady slopes.... but they didn't piste the 2 foot (?) of fresh on it and it was wonderful! The pistes were brilliant all week. To top it all.. my 7 year old managed to get from the Top of Samoens on the Red runs after a couple of days (he has skied previous years - but this year did really well is ski-school) - so afternoon skiing didn;t comprise of button lifts this year... WOOOOOOO! In the 5 seasons I have been skiing the Grand Massif - I have never seen so much snow at village level before.
snow report
We were there for a day last week, I've been to Flaine many many times in the last twenty years....I've never seen so much snow there.

Gers now renamed Grrrs though....see my thread in Resorts.
ski holidays
Good stuff, back out on the 7th for a week. Cool
snow report
Awesome
snow conditions
Hi - I'll be in Samoens from Sunday - any update on the snow conditions? snowHead Puzzled
ski holidays
still holding up despite the wa\rm spell last week, more snow forecasted tonight (fingers crossed) as I think we could benefit from it
snow report
marcellus, Nice one Marcellus - hoping for repeat condtions that I had in Jan....
snow conditions
snow's here......... can't stop too much to do before we go and play!
snow conditions
marcellus, Woohoo - keep snowing until sunday please!! Have a good day snowHead
ski holidays
Thanks for the update on the weather marcellus, and hope you had a good day! Was out from 1st to 10th Feb but didn't know how the snow has been since. We're back out with a small group from 14th March for a week so hopefully there'll still be great snow. Incidentally we did the Cascades run a couple of times and found it a very good way of getting back into the Giffre valley from Flaine. Our place is in Verchaix (close to Morillon) so it's easy to use Cascades near the end of the day and just get the bus along the valley. Up until now I've always used the more traditional route back but with the snow as good as it was we thought we'd give it a go, and I'm glad we did!
snow report
Will be heading out on Saturday - sounds like conditions couldn't be much better, webcams are looking good too snowHead
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
marcellus, I see the forecast is showing no fresh snow fall on Saturday, is that likely to mean the roads will be well cleared?

Its for some snowchains i am trying to avoid buying if they are not already in the car when we stop at the supermarket.

What a cheapskate i am Embarassed
ski holidays
ok... catching up with everything........... 1stly todays.............. one word two syllybals... awesome!!.........

one of those days when it shouldn't be (cloud, snow and runs getting "clumpy" by late afternoon)... bit what a day... even Mrs M, who is a fair weather skier was whooping with delaight and she only normally does that when *******************....

secondly my health...... not good... playing in some trees in the really light and fluffy stuff managed to catch a tree with my forefinger... not sure what i've done but it's gone a nasty colour is swollen and now strapped to my index finger....... it's a shame really as it hurts to use the hoover and now doesn't fit into my marigolds... Mrs M is not happy..... i can still grip a pole though just not with that finger Toofy Grin

Skimummy, snow forecasted through to Sunday and I've had a special word on your behalf with the snow gods and they say as it's you they'll be kind!!

mfj197, still can't make my mind up about cascades.... it does make a great "chalet day out" but as a run I'm not sure it's worth the effort for the more advanced skiiers...

Richard_Sideways, two words............. oh yes!!

ianbradders, roads will be relatively clear but they have been doing checks at the Magland turn to see if you've got chains or not... I had to take a client to buy some last week and the Carrefour was doing 50% off... chains for a Vectra cost €35......

HTH everyone
latest report
marcellus, sorry to hear about your finger! Yes I guess Cascades could be a bit more of a hassle if you have to get back in to Flaine or Les Carroz. As a last run from playtime in the Flaine bowl back to the Giffre valley (i.e. Samoens & Morrilon) it ended up being pretty good! Smile Only a week to go ...
ski holidays
cheers for your concerns mfj197, still snowing here today!!
latest report
and Saturday and Sunday and Today (Monday)!!

more forecasted; Tuesday and Wednesday with sunshine Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday, Monday and Tuesday!!

Life's tough.............. (anyone want a last minute bargain?) Toofy Grin
latest report
Please hold that snow until next week! The latest GFS forecasts are showing it getting warm round about Friday and staying that way for 3 days or so (and then completely undecided after that), but hopefully with all that snow base the conditions should hold fine I guess.
ski holidays
mfj197, If it doesn't snow again all season you would have plenty to ski!
snow conditions
Thanks stevo. Smile There was certainly plenty at the beginning of Feb when I was there - just can't wait to get out again! Why does work have to get in the way?
ski holidays
mfj197, I agree, I can see 2 gaps in our bookings which look very tempting.......
ski holidays
Spent the day on the nursery slope in Sixt with snow falling heavily all day. My 3 year old got very excited making fresh tracks after lunch. Finally got to play on the powder at the end of the day when the kids were too tired to stand up any longer. We've been coming to GM since 2003 and never seen Sixt properly open. Today it was fantastic snowHead
ski holidays
Skimummy, Similar to me really - I discovered Sixt last year. A guaranteed "no queue" half term area. Not much skiing, but nice for a couple of hours.
ski holidays
Well the snow is still falling heavily. The slopes were great again and I spent most of the day shouting 'snowplough' and 'slow down' at my two over confident little ones. Spent the day in Sixt again today - the signs say it is staying open until the 15th but I'm guessing that may change if this snow continues. Heading up the GME tomorrow snowHead
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy