Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Morillon/ Flaine/ Samoens

Poster: A snowHead
Just returned from a week based in Morillion.
Conditions were fab over new year with the fresh snow fall, but as we left on the 4th Jan, lower runs were becoming patchy with many stones coming through and were pretty icy too. Runs particularly affected were 'Marvel' in Morillon (and the lower pistes back to the lifts for ice) and 'Cascades' from Flaine was very patchy. The runs from Morillon 1100 to Morillon village were extremely patchy and icy and in desperate need of a good dump.
Other than that - higher pistes (just above Morillon 1100) were compact - but in excellent condition, giving some good skiing for so early in the season Very Happy snowHead All other blues/reds were in great shape. I don't ski blacks - but the ones I saw from the lifts were a little threadbare (for want of a better word!!)
Avalance warnings were on 'significant' as we left.
Happy skiing!! Wish I was still there!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Thanks for this Mel - has anybody got more up to date info? I'm going 3 weeks and starting to get obsessed by the weather and conditions!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Me too. go out there in February. Listings on Grand Massif website seem to vary a bit in what they say
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'm off to Flaine on Saturday so will report back on my return!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks snowaddict, are you a regular there? I've been a few times and love it, concrete warts and all! Will look forward to a first hand report - I know GM is less Britski than PDS and Les Arcs but when you see how much info is posted on those domains it makes you wonder if the snowHead 's know something we don't - or maybe its the other way around? wink
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Hi kewhoward!

Never been before! But really looking forward to it.

I think the forecast is a bit mixed.

I do have friends that live near by though and they went and had a ski yesterday and enjoyed it. They said the recent winds have done a bit of scouring around and about but generally they said there was a lot of snow. My friends and us are all from Scotland so we're used to a bit of scouring! Apparently they managed to do the Cascada (hope I've got that right!) run which was in reasonable condition until the last wee bit where there was a bit of thin snow - not bad for 14km. The snow is much further down the mountain though than this time last year apparently.

Looks like I will have to learn to post pics so you can see them on my return!!

Only three more sleeps!!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hisnowaddict, - its probably "Cascades" that you are thinking of - the long blue from Grand Platieres (top of Flaine Bowl) to Sixt? It's an interest run - bit flat in parts but drops right down into Sixt and a small outlying bit of the domain (you've probably seen it on the piste map). I've just posted elsewhere that one of my top five runs ever ever (Reds preferred) is Fred onto Mephisto - Fred and the top half of Mephisto (you can do either - not really much to choose) aren't always open so look out to see if the chair is running and go for it if its is. The best blues imho are on the other side of the bowl - Crystal and the ones either side. Can't really comment on the blacks except you can get a good idea of the Diamond Noire as its runs under the Grand Platiere cable car. The rest of the domaine is great too - watch out for congestion from the top of Grand Van into Flaine - its the only way in in the morning (except road) and back at night (except taxi!) so can get polished / skiied out but you Scots will be just fine on it I'm sure wink

Have a good one snowHead
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The best part of the Cascades is stopping half way down. There is is sign with a bell on it marked "Refuge Lac des gers". Ring the bell and 2 minutes later a skidoo will magically appear Madeye-Smiley They will then tow you up to their lovely refuge - where you can have a fantastic meal by the frozen lake. If the Gers drag is running (unlikely next week) they then put you in their Snowcat and drive you back up to the lift!If not carry on skiing down to Sixt.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
norris, that does sound Cool . It's a long time since I skied Cascades and My Feb trip is with my daughter - I don't think I'd want to do Cascades to Sixt cos she's a b***der but cant remember how flat it is at the top? I know I should just make her walk (or do that hop thing they do rolling eyes ) but I am trying to aviod international incident. If you go up by the chair above Ballacher - and the Gers drag is running is this a sensible thing to do - or should I just stick to all the other good stuff? And are you in Surrey or Flaine now - love to hear about the snow if latter snowHead
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
kewhoward, I have done it on both skis and board. There are a couple of flat bits but nothing to bad that a little scooting will take care of. It is suprisingly fall line the whole way....

If you take the col du plate chair, yes you will avoid the main flat part wink
If you are feeling brave and the gers bowl is open then ski the black run (styx) down the bowl - can be quite moguled - not great on a board ( but often great powder off the piste)
Then below the drag you have a point a shoot situation, ie as much speed as you dare to get you down along side the Gers Lake and carry the speed along towards the refuge - you need to be a strong boarder to hold you edge as it can be quite a lethal high speed traverse or a long walk....

I am in Surrey today, but out in Flaine next week Very Happy
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks norris, and sorry to insult the fact that you swing both ways wink - actually my daughter skis better that she boards so if we went the black route she'd be better off with two planks. We're only out for the weekend and staying down in Les Carroz so may not make it right the up - depends on snow conditions I guess - though I'd hate to miss the Mont Blanc view from the top - I think its the best I've seen. Have a great time and let us know how it is next week snowHead
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
no offence taken - I am a liberal sort of chap Shocked

It certainly is one of the best views of Mt Blanc

I shall post a TR when I get back
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
All this sounds so exciting!!

Thanks kewhoward and norris for all the info!

norris, is the Cascades Refuges thing really good and always on? It just sounds a fab thing to do!!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Mel, I was in Morrilon 1100 Les Esserts, retuned the same day, very impressed with the Grande Massif. First time visit to the area, very good skiing, but very good snow conditions. Cascades run was a waste of time, long run, uphill sections, only the fantastic isolated views and the frozen waterfalls stopped the group I was with from lynching me for taking them down it. wink
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
snowaddict,

It should be open when the Cascades is running. I have spent the night there several times. Ski down from Flaine at the end of the day and spend the evening drinking fine wines and eating great local food. The pass out in their dorm rooms, wake up and continue skiing down to Sixt in the morning - FAB
latest report
norris wrote:
snowaddict,

It should be open when the Cascades is running. I have spent the night there several times. Ski down from Flaine at the end of the day and spend the evening drinking fine wines and eating great local food. The pass out in their dorm rooms, wake up and continue skiing down to Sixt in the morning - FAB

This sounds absolutely fab! However on the many times we have been to the area the Cascades run has been closed!
The snow head above you commented on the flat bits - is it really that bad??? Puzzled
ski holidays
Got back on Saturday just gone by. Sorry for not posting earlier but have not been very well.

So here goes!

Sun 20th - Bright blue sunny skies. Stayed in Flaine. Loads of snow on the mountain. Some runs quite scoured though from being blasted by the wind. Those runs that weren't too scoured were great to ski on. The scoured runs weren't pleasant really. Only really pottered around gentle runs for most of the day as my husband hadn't skied for two years and was a bit nervous. He finished up a bit earlier than me in the afternoon so I did get a bit more challenging stuff in towards the end for an hour or so - nice!

Mon 21st - More gorgeous weather! Headed over to Les Carroz and Morillon. All runs in great condition. Came across one small section on a flat piece of track that was really exposed to the sun that was maybe getting a bit brown but that was the only bit. think it was part of Marvel in Morillon and it really was only a 5-10 metre patch.

Tue 22nd - A massive storm. At times there was icy rain in the village. Huge winds, loads of snow falling, white out conditions. We didn't ski as I wasn't feeling too well and my husband was exhausted.

Wed 23rd - Wow - loads of new snow and blue skies again! We stayed in Flaine. I reckon we had acquired maybe a foot or so and some of the drifts were pretty big! Friends of ours came to meet us so I was able to do some more challenging stuff as us wives went off together and left the boys to it! We started on the Diamant Noir which was ski-ing just wonderfully!!! Basically you could just ski anywhere, on runs off runs, there was so much gorgeous new snow to play in!

The bad news was that although Flaine got gorgeous new snow, lower down resorts got some rain which had resulted in Cascades closing. It had been open at the beginning of the week, but near the bottom took a beating in the rain.

Thurs 24th - Another sunny day. We headed off to Samoens 1600. All runs in great condition. A bit colder today though, especially in the shade. We ended up heading back pretty quickly as the runs aren't very long and the chairs are slow and we were getting too cold! Spent the rest of the time playing over by Sortilege (well, beside it rather than the run itself) and then Combe de Veret - fab! Sortilege was almost spring like as it was quite warm and in direct sunlight.

Fri 25th - A much colder day, more like January temps you would normally have. Nice and sunny though. We stayed in Flaine. All the new snow was ski-ing really, really well, whether on the runs or off them. Just glorious, what more can I say!

In summary - there is gallons of snow! We had an epic week with epic weather. Anyone going out shortly will be in for a treat!!
latest report
I was also there last week, conditions were very good for the second half of the week, after about 25cms on the tuesday. We got down the Cascades on Monday, only the last 200m was horrible. Mrs Norris got stuck down by the Noro sick bug for the second half of the week, so not many pics Crying or Very sad here are a few though.

Mrs Norris on the Cascades

Powder and sunshine on the Tuesday (random skiier)

My solo line from the Pointe du Veret, Pointe Percee in the Background ( might have to get you glasses out!)

The Gers drag opened for the first time this winter on saturday, but only at lucnchtime and I was just leaving for the airport as it looked amazing
ski holidays
Thanks norris, snowaddict, looks fabbo - can't wait - I'm out for 5 days from week on Thursday - the weather boys seem to think there's a good chance of a refresh by then! Hope all your health's are restored.... snowHead
ski holidays
Just back from a long weekend in GM area - fantastic piste based conditions. Wall to wall sunshine and whilst its freeze-thaw below about 1800m its still great as the sun gets onto it. We happily did this in Les Carroz (Plein Soleil a.m. and the Combe -side in the pm) and Morillon (Sairon until early afternoon) for a couple of the days. If you follow the sun round its wonderful - Higher up,the north facing slopes in Flaine are fantastic (230cm) - Mephisto (on the North East side) yesterday lunchtime was as good a surface as I've skiied on. Meanwhile the runs into the resorts were either mogulled or icy or both by the end of the day so a bit of care needed. We went down by lift one day to avoid the obstacle course. Friday and Saturday were very quiet with a bit of a zoo on Sunday and then busy but no more than 5 min waits Sunday and a couple of mins yesterday. The odd nuttter speed freak on Sunday but no collisions and otherwise all very friendly and civilised.

The off piste is not to be recommended - there are warnings everywhere in Flaine and the big holes in the limestone there are emerging under the sun (and some are scary big). Notwithstanding this everywhere looked tracked out (and some amazing tracks off the Gers peak)

Enjoy if you're going... snowHead Can't wait now until Les Arcs at Easter.. snowHead snowHead snowHead
ski holidays
Hi just returned from Les Carroz/Flaine and had 3 days of lovely snow! Pistes were uncrowded and good skiing on fresh snow. Flaine bowl was doing well and all runs except the link to sixt were open! we left sat 9 Feb and sunny skies but the freeze thaw is set for all this week.

We had one day of 13 hours of continuous snow!!! was up to my knees in the village! needed snow chains! Smile
latest report
Welcome to Snowheads juliemtaylor! Good to see another Grand Massif fan - I think we are a bit of a minority around here! snowHead
snow report
Quote:

Good to see another Grand Massif fan - I think we are a bit of a minority around here

there are more out there than you think!!
latest report
i'm off myslef for a long weekend in 3 weeks, then again for a week with the family at the end of March. Lets hope the snow holds up.
latest report
simo1234 wrote:
i'm off myslef for a long weekend in 3 weeks, then again for a week with the family at the end of March. Lets hope the snow holds up.

Another fan here!
Off for a girls weekend on 27th and then again with the family on 14 March! Yipee - can't wait!

Hope it gets a bit colder though! snowHead
snow conditions
hi folks

anybody goingh this saturday , we got a cheapy ( £700 for 2 adults and 2 kids cant be bad even tho its only 2 star)

Leaving in 8 hrs for a trip to Edinburgh and a early morning flight.

The better half has pnuemonia tho and is 3/4 of the way through her antibiotics, the Doc says she should be fine Very Happy
ski holidays
Has anyone got any upto date info on the conditions?

Snow forecast wasn't looking too positive and I'm taking 2 friends next week - after raving about how good it is!

I've been praying to the Snow God and am still waiting for her to reply!!! snowHead
snow report
my daughter is there at the moment and phoned me tonight. She said the cover is still good in Flaine - no brown patches - but piste very hard packed and some icy bits. She's enjoying the skiing (with Adventure Outdoors) but will give boarding a miss for the rest of the week. She didn't say how far down they'd been; they're in tuition/guiding groups - French speaking, which she isn't! She says her French is improving though, and the accommodation is very good value for what they paid.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
waterskibabe, Doesn't look like any chance of snow -see the weather outlook thread - but I think if you're careful which aspect of the mountain you ski on at which time of day you'll be absolutely fine. Have a great time snowHead snowHead
latest report
Freezing level will be the critical thing next week; looks like something's going to fall out of the sky.
snow report
waterskibabe, oops sorry I've lost a week - I thought March was miles away Embarassed - but as Pam w says the weather diviners are indicating precipitation around the back end of next week (with all the big caveats around that sort of time distance ). Maybe fun time on transfer day again ? Still as I was reminded once would you rather have a cr@p transfer and great snow or the other way around? snowHead
snow conditions
I did Samoens 9-17th Feb and was pleasantly surprised at A) hiw good most of the pistes were considering time since last snow and B) how quiet it was (relatively speaking) for half term. I know the area very well and know that Jan and March you never queue on a lift, but was expecting busy Feb conditions - but no! I think our longest queue was the first day at the GME in Sameons at 9 am for about 5 mins.

Back again next week 26th-1st, hope it gets a top up by then, but should be OK even without barring the dreaded feohn wind (too much cheese Laughing )

Grand Massif Fan!
ski holidays
Thanks for the updates guys - will keep everything crossed!

kewhoward, - Will def order snow chains then - just in case!!! wink
snow report
waterskibabe, don't order the chains... this will ensure a huge dump of snow. If you order them, it wont happen Sad
snow report
the GM website reports snow yesterday - at the top Very Happy We are off 2 weeks today. Can't wait. Really hope the Marvel run is open so we can ski down to the apartments.

stevo_the_saddler - we don't ever take chains with us to morillon Shocked
snow conditions
Quote:

the GM website reports snow yesterday

my daughter told me last night there had been a couple centimetres at the top; better than nothing.
Quote:

we don't ever take chains with us to morillon

Does it never snow much, in Morillon?
snow conditions
pam w, not that often...seems to be on the rain/snow limit rather to often. marvel is rarely in good condition.
ski holidays
pam w, Marvel was "OK" beginning of our week - by the end of the week they had "ice" warnings on the electronic info boards. Same with Cascades run - still open, but very icy for the last kilometre.

PS - Spotted by several people last week - Trinny from the telly Laughing
ski holidays
stevo_the_saddler wrote:
pam w, Marvel was "OK" beginning of our week - by the end of the week they had "ice" warnings on the electronic info boards. Same with Cascades run - still open, but very icy for the last kilometre.

PS - Spotted by several people last week - Trinny from the telly Laughing

Did you tell her that her @rse looked big in what she was wearing ? Very Happy
snow conditions
Hairy Boy, I wouldn't have recognised her if she had said - hi I am Trinny - but it wasn't me that spotted her, although I did hear several people mantioning it. Aparently she had on a gruesome outfit (allegedly)
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy