Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Morillon/ Flaine/ Samoens

Poster: A snowHead
Sorry to jump in to Marcellus' question but you still have to take the tourmaline to make the montsoleil ski in ski out.

IMO it's not suitable for a six year old on her 2nd week skiing. There is a free bus that runs to the montsoleil from Flaine Forum (Grands Vans & Perdrix) but i'm not sure how regularly it goes. In all honesty (and knowing that some will disagree vehmently) I can't figure out why anybody would buy or rent in Montsoleil.

RetroBod, If you want the cheapest place to eat then take a packed lunch, if not, then eat in restaurants in the resort for lunch (Le grain de sel & bar des cimes (can't recommend le grain de sel highly enough)) which is easy in Flaine itself but less easy in the other resorts.

I'm out here all the time so if you want any pointers look for the guy in the orange trousers and the black jacket.....
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Marcellus, Fancy a day in Gers??

Teusday - Should be perfect..
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
marcellus,
thanks for that, i will PM Danjunk.

i will also keep an eye out closer to my departure for your organised impromtu snowHead guiding sessions. Laughing
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
danjunk wrote:
Marcellus, Fancy a day in Gers??

Teusday - Should be perfect..

sounds like a good plan......... let me get changeover out of the way tomorrow and I'll call you!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
danjunk wrote:

RetroBod, If you want the cheapest place to eat then take a packed lunch, if not, then eat in restaurants in the resort for lunch (Le grain de sel & bar des cimes (can't recommend le grain de sel highly enough)) which is easy in Flaine itself but less easy in the other resorts.

Thanks for all those suggestions on eateries. Where would you recommend if I wasn't being such a cheapskate?

By the way you better rope everything down....Metcheck is forecasting 300mph wind.....a glitch methinks!

Looks cold but that should keep coditions going. Guess you have all had a bit of a powder fest today?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
RetroBod wrote:

Guess you have all had a bit of a powder fest today?

Laughing Shocked
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Marcellus - how is the snow looking? Appears good on the webcams
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
RetroBod wrote:

Thanks for all those suggestions on eateries. Where would you recommend if I wasn't being such a cheapskate?

Guess you have all had a bit of a powder fest today?

Try Le Chalets du Michet (a short walk across the slopes) the Perdrix noire or the Sucre Sale in Flaine Foret.

Teaching friends to ski today so rather subdued but looking promising for tomorrow. Laughing
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
simo1234 wrote:
Marcellus - how is the snow looking? Appears good on the webcams

Were out today and I was actually disappointed tbh............. ok there's lots of lovely light and fluffy stuff off piste still to be enjoyed but I thought the pistes themselves weren't in too good a shape......... quite a few were lumpy and others were quite thin which was a surprise (especially over the Samoens area)

danjunk wrote:
.............................. so rather subdued but looking promising for tomorrow. Laughing

we're still up for it but will need to watch the weather... at the moment 45kmh forecastes at the Tete des saix........... will call you later!!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
ianbradders, I agree that Tourmaline would not be good for a 6 year old on 2nd week. But that's the only way to access the Gerats lift to get back to Montsoleil. It's only the bottom of Tourmaline that gets difficult, particularly late in the pm, but that's no consolation. IIRC, Tourmaline is also the only way back to Flaine from the rest of the GM area. Another problem with the Gerats chair is that it closes (or did over new year) at 4pm so if you are at the bottom of Grands Vans at 3.40pm and want to ski back to Montsoleil you've really go to go for it - up Grands Vans, down almost to the bottom of Tourmaline and then across to the bottom of Gerats.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
danjunk, Chris Mason, marcellus,

Thanks all for your input on that. You have reinforced my suspiscions about the bottom of tourmaline.

Looks like little lady Bradders will be getting the skibus back to the hotel with Mum and tiny lady Bradders and i will be skiing back with my mate.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
danjunk, in the vain hope that you're on line.......... lost your number and the weather is sh****............ not looking good for today!!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Marcellus, a rain check is a very good idea. I'll text you my number.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
marcellus, danjunk, Looks like all the links are closed today because of the wind. Bummer - hope the the weather improves for next week.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
cheers danjunk!!

stevo_the_saddler, they are at the moment........ keeps drifting in and out of snow in Carroz at the moment............. main telecabine shut too!!
snow report
Got back from Les Carroz Sunday night, started banging it down with snow Friday afternoon, was still falling when we left.

Also went up Brevent and Argentiere over the weekend - those pesky french kids are in for a belting half term! never seen snow like it.
latest report
Hi,
Any news on the latest snow from y'all.

Coming to join you on Saturday just cant wait looking good by all accounts but would like first hand news.

Gutted cause Ma & PA aren't able to travel as Ma has been laid up for 3 weeks. Still if you see a group of 40 somethings with teeneagers in tow that's us.
Kids tryings snowboarding 1st time this year hope piste is soft for them!
snow report
RetroBod, a quick resume of the past few days weather;
> Monday - snowed
> Tuesday - snowed
> Yesterday - snowed
> Today - snowed

And resume of the next few days weather;
> Tomorrow - snow
> Saturday - snow
> Sunday - snow
> Monday - snow
> Tuesday - snow
> Wednesday - snow
> Thursday - snow
> Friday - snow
> Saturday - snow

SO yes I think the piste might be soft enough for the learners!!
snow conditions
Snow at night and bluebird days?
ski holidays
RetroBod, OOOhhh yes please
ski holidays
hate to disappoint... went up today and lost a friend................ rang him to find out where he was........ I was standing below the #15 marker... he was standing above the #14 marker........ so less than 100m apart............. I had no idea we were so close!!

The snow felt absolutely awesome though........ I say felt as I believe it was under my skis but couldn't actually see it to confirm the feeling!!
snow conditions
Hi all, coming over to samoens at the weekend - can't wait. excellent that the lower runs are open too: the verlarge run in samoens was really good on a previous trip.

Marcellus - the ""Jonny Won Tons" place you mentioned - is that les tronchets refuge under another name: have been reading about les tronchets and seems worth a visit good. What's the off-piste like to get there though?
snow report
parklark, yes I think it is.............. we went there Wednesday and it was so good we had to go back and that was before yesterdays snow...

Forecast was wrong for today.... clear blue skies and minus 8!!!

(shame I've got to go to the valley to get the Landie back and go to Metro, CArrefour and Boite a Outils Crying or Very sad !!)
snow report
Right, that was the day of the season!

Snow for the last 5 days. Woke up early to clear bluebird!

Pont de jouret, combe de veret gers, the epaule, last run down at 5.30. Pure perfection!
snow conditions
danjunk, Don't worry - all us half termies will spoil it on Sunday...
snow conditions
danjunk wrote:
Right, that was the day of the season!

Snow for the last 5 days. Woke up early to clear bluebird!

Pont de jouret, combe de veret gers, the epaule, last run down at 5.30. Pure perfection!

Dan - I hate you........... I went down the valley to get the Landie back to find it has a major problem................ not sure how much it's going to cost to repair but with half term I need it so will get it back tomorrow!!

Missed todays skiing and will miss tomorrows too!!
ski holidays
Right....it is now 5:20am French time and have been up for 2hrs. The prospect of what I can see up the mountain is just..............
Moon is shining so propect of a bluebird morning.....bring it on!! Even got a bonus 1 hr ski Sat pm on beginers slope to dust off the cobwebs....it just gets better and better
latest report
RetroBod, where are you staying?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Le Totem with Crystal. Got to say (at the risk of going off thread) the hotel has not disappointed (at 3* you get what you get!). After reading lots of negative reviews of hotel last year they have pulled socks up!

To the snow.....OMG my calves feel like someone has taken a razor blade to them. Snow awesome. Pistes in great condition (Jade was a bit hard though) Pockets of powder still to be had even at side of pistes as one of our group can testify at the macro level when he buried his face in it. Looks like more sun today although I can't see it yet. Some beginner snow boarders in our group who i thought would be accelerated by the blue run Tanzanite nearly a Piste Too Far! HEading out to Samoens are this morning to check it out
snow conditions
Can anyone recommend some easy skiing for beginner snow boards and skiers (ie little bit easier than top of tanzanite). Group wants to push out from the free green in Flaine!
ski holidays
Try the Meleze from the top of the Petit Balacha, get there by using the telebenne yoghurt pots.
snow report
Seems this thread is where those in the know locally hang out!

We are a mixed bag of 12 skiers / boarders coming out to Samoens in a couple of weeks and am looking for advice on the lift passes - there are some of us who will undoubtedbly go for the Grand Massif pass but we have 6 novice boarders / skiers (2 of whom are booked into ski school so probably that will govern their lift pass choice). They are on their 2nd or 3rd week on the snow and haven't been in yonks so would the local pass suffice for 6 days, some of the issue is saving money but also not a lot of point forking out another 33€ when it looks as if there are loads of greens & blues that would keep them happy!

Thank you, you lovely people!
snow report
Just got back from GM- staying in Morillon. We had the full pass and defo made the most of it. Flaine had some great blue and red runs from the top suitable for 2-3 weekers. The pistes also didn't seem quite as crowded there for some reason. That said, there's easily enough skiing to keep you interested for 6 days in Samoens, Morillon and Les Carroz.
snow report
always29, are there any children in the group.......... by children I mean 18 or under.......... if so then your accomodation provider should be able to help you with a decent deal which means that the Grand Massif pass is virtually as cheap as the Massif pass..............
snow conditions
marcellus wrote:
always29, are there any children in the group.......... by children I mean 18 or under.......... if so then your accomodation provider should be able to help you with a decent deal which means that the Grand Massif pass is virtually as cheap as the Massif pass..............

All "adults" so unfortunately no deals on family passes etc. We have DIY packaged with using Nemea accommodation and given that they seem to charge for everything, can't see them giving discounts for anything! Thanks for the input tho!
ski holidays
marcellus, yes I have found that the accomodation provider can be very useful wink
ski holidays
Can anyone give me some restaraunt recommendations in Flaine, Morillon and Samoens - want some resonably priced , good quality grub. We're staying in Morillon for 4 days so whats the best place to eat in the evenings and a recommendation for flaine and samoens for lunch wold be gratefully accepted too ! _ I've just come back from the 3Vs where beer was £7 a pint and there was a £38 Beefburger and £20 bought you chicken and chips !!! so i think anything could be better value
Also are there any cheaps passes or discounts available ?
ski holidays
marksovereign, in Morillon 1100 there's a nice place for supper by the supermarket (opposite the ski rental place). Can't remember it's name but does the standard Savoyard fare.

The best place we went to in terms of uniqueness of the venue (food wasn't bad either) was the restaurant halfway down Cascades (Flaine)- think it's called Gite de lac de gers. You get to marker 18 (?) where you'll find a box with a telephone in it. Give the restaurant a call and they send a snowmobile down to tow you on your skis/boards back to the restaurant. The restaurant itself is on the edge of the frozen lake looking up on to one of the Flaine bowls. There's a lovely terrace for when the sun's out. Defo book in advance though.
snow conditions
OMG where did that come from.......20cm+ snowed all day in various strengths. Last run down from top was nothing but awesome. Tomorrow we are told will be "the best day of the year"
ski holidays
Still snowing must be 30cm plus am I the only one suprised?

Are we now at risk on no ski tomorrow due to lift closure??
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy