Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Excuses for taking kids out of school for ski trip?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
And I said : we all know what crap you have to put up with. But you have said sorry so that's an end to it. snowHead
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Just remember - schools take kids skiing and it is an educational trip - you take them, it is truancy!

Seriously though, I believe it is OK when they are juniors. We have taken ours out of school for a week in March for the last 3 years.

My son moves to Senior school next year so I don't know what we will do then (have to win the lottery to afford Xmas, half term or Easter ! Didn't realise when I booked back in August that the results of the 11+ and school allocations come out whilst we are away - will have to find an Internet Cafe.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
rob@rar, I agree about the partnership between school and parents. However, it all boils down to what is reasonable and imo the headteacher in this thread appears to be acting unreasonable. If I was the parent I would politely put my foot down with the school explaining my reasons, (no need to tell porkies) they either accept it or not. Of course this assumes the kid is coping academically. If not then it could be a whole different ball game.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
dk100, I agree that's the best approach to take. Sadly not all headteachers behave reasonably, and this issue seems to trip up more than is necessary in my opinion. I suppose in their defence schools, particularly headteachers, are under a fair amount of pressure from government (national and local) and occasionally from their governing body to reduce the amount of unauthorised absence. I think that's a worthy aim, but sometimes schools can be over-zealous in how they pursue that goal. At the end of the day parents should have the final call, but in my view it should be a bilateral process not one side or t'other laying down the law.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I've spoken to our head teacher and this year I've got permission! Doesn't make much difference 'cos we were going anyway but it is much nicer this way. Turns out our head teacher and her family are very enthusiastic skiers themselves but her hands were tied by the local authorities policies. She has got round this because both kids entered the club championships at the dry slope and are now classed as competative skiers. One of them chickened out and the other did ok but I still wouldn't class them as competative skiers or anything like it! I'm not going to argue though Very Happy
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy