Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

La Plagne Piste side restaurants an ongoing review

Poster: A snowHead
bertie bassett, It is indeed not served by any lift now, the nearest is an uphill push from the top of the Colosses drag (the one with two dog legs) if a) you can stay on the drag, it hasn't been pisted for days and b) if you dont mind poleing 100 yards or so.....
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Boredsurfing, Blmey... that will put Toofy Grin pay to your lunch time crepe then
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Boredsurfing wrote:
bertie bassett, It is indeed not served by any lift now, the nearest is an uphill push from the top of the Colosses drag (the one with two dog legs) if a) you can stay on the drag, it hasn't been pisted for days and b) if you dont mind poleing 100 yards or so.....

Won't last the season then surely??
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Mouth, yep Crying or Very sad
and to add insult to injury the best/cheapest take away creperie in Plagne Centre has changed hands and is now charging €2 each Sad
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Boredsurfing wrote:
Mouth, yep Crying or Very sad
and to add insult to injury the best/cheapest take away creperie in Plagne Centre has changed hands and is now charging €2 each Sad

Cheapskates - in LA the armpit does gallettes which are big crepe type things with ham and egg for all of 8 euros..
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
New best restaurant for 2010 'discovered' at the end of the season rolling eyes
Le Petite Chaperon Rouge
just above the entrance to the 1800 lift in Plagne 1800.
Nadennoodlee has already pointed out how good this restaurant is, but up until now we have never had the motivation to side step up the hill to the terrace. The need for good food in 1800 this season gave us the nudge to visit.

I suspect with the piste remodelling being done this summer that the restaurant will have better acces on ski's but I may be wrong......

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Thu 21-10-10 12:58; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
boredsurfin, We totally agree and plan to lunch there with friends this weekend and all of next week in the final week when the sun is due to shine. A great restaurant.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Just getting this thread ready for the coming season Very Happy
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Mouth wrote:
boredsurfin, We totally agree and plan to lunch there with friends this weekend and all of next week in the final week when the sun is due to shine. A great restaurant.

We made the trip in the summer but alas it was closed Sad
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
boredsurfin wrote:
New best restaurant for 2010 'discovered' at the end of the season rolling eyes
Le Petite Chaperon Rouge
just above the entrance to the 1800 lift in Plagne 1800.
Nadennoodlee has already pointed out how good this restaurant is, but up until now we have never had the motivation to side step up the hill to the terrace. The need for good food in 1800 this season gave us the nudge to visit.

I suspect with the piste remodelling being done this summer that the restaurant will have better acces on ski's but I may be wrong......

The piste work hasn't made much difference, but I guess it keeps the casual passer by away. Excellent lunch was had by all yesterday.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I know it's early in the season but a prime contender for worst mountain loo is emerging already. Le Cristal des Neiges above Montchavin La Coche, truly dreadful, only two unisex cubicles outside for the entire (self srvice) restaurant and 1 external door that is propped open, Both cubicles were horrible yesterday and it wasn't even busy!

Also our favourite restaurant in that area Les Pierres Blanches at Dos Rond was closed last year for a rebuild, still isn't finished, maybe it will open later this season Sad

http://www.montchavin-lescoches.com/www-restaurant_altitude-699-HIVER-FR.html
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Boredsurfing, caaw affording to go for lunch in mountain restaurants. If only!! Toofy Grin
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
cockofthenorth, The kids pay out of their Christmas money wink Laughing wink
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Boredsurfing wrote:
I know it's early in the season but a prime contender for worst mountain loo is emerging already. Le Cristal des Neiges above Montchavin La Coche, truly dreadful, l

You've never been for a squat and drop in la podreuse above peisey-vallandry then?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Boredsurfing wrote:
Also our favourite restaurant in that area Les Pierres Blanches at Dos Rond was closed last year for a rebuild, still isn't finished, maybe it will open later this season Sad

http://www.montchavin-lescoches.com/www-restaurant_altitude-699-HIVER-FR.html

The newly rebuilt Les Pierres Blanches re-opened on New Years Day and I am pleased to report is bigger and better than before, the bridge from the ski parking area to the terrace remains and a new first floor area with balcony has been developed, however the famous crepe stall appears to be consigned to history Sad
snow conditions
cockofthenorth wrote:
Boredsurfing, caaw affording to go for lunch in mountain restaurants. If only!! Toofy Grin

Plagne Centre not piste side then Laughing
latest report
Bump for the 2011 / 2012 Season
The owners of the Forperet Restaurant above Montalbert have bought the Tournament restaurant in Montalbert village and after a refit will re-open on December 17th.
snow report
I would recommend Le Sauget above Monchavin very highly although it will under new ownership this year. Also the Plan Bois restaurant (just off the Mont Blanc piste, in between Cristal de Neige and Plein Soleil) serves good, traditional Savoyard food.
ski holidays
chappers1981, Oh good, I hope the new owners employ some polite and efficient staff.
snow conditions
The 2011/2012 Season bump
Les Borsellier and Le petit chaperon rouge remain firm favourites.

Le Petit Bouchon in Plagne Centre continues to have a cult following Toofy Grin
ski holidays
chappers1981 wrote:
I would recommend Le Sauget above Monchavin very highly although it will under new ownership this year.

Popped in this week and wasn't impressed, sadly a change for the worse though they do have free wifi.
snow conditions
The place by the Vanoise on the LaP side - not good, I used their meat as a winter tyre repair kit
Chalet Verdons Sud on Champagny side - Very Very Good Very Happy
snow report
Hotel Carlina restaurant in Belle Plagne. Looks pricey, and it is a little on the expensive side depending on what you order. But very warm and comfortable inside. Had a FANTASTIC reblochon melt with side salad for 14 euros. Best lunchtime meal I had all week. Excellent value in my opinion. That melt will live on in my dreams.

For Burgers go to Scottys in Plagne Centre. Not cheap but soo huge, and handmade. Croq Niege was utterly disappointing on the burger front. Cheaper but wholly unexciting.

Can't remember the name of the place, but in Montchavin there's a restaurant on the left of the slope, right at the bottom as you ski down to the lift. Begins with a C. Tasty tasty pancakes Smile
ski holidays
We found a really nice place just below the Roche de Mio where the Inversenes Red Run starts. Don't eat in the restaurant but in the separate building which has glass the whole way around and a big log burner in the middle. Amazing views and was welcome shelter in -20 last week.
Had a very nice steak & Frites for 11 Eur, which is pretty reasonable. Cheaper than a pub lunch near where I work!
snow report
sbirring, Would second that. Regular coffee stop for us with nice clean toilets, way better than the place at the top beside the Roche gondola.
ski holidays
thefatcontroller, Tend to avoid those self service tourist type traps Confused
With the notable exception of Pierres Blanches at Dos Rond. Very Happy
latest report
Boredsurfing wrote:
thefatcontroller, Tend to avoid those self service tourist type traps Confused

Starving we made the mistake one time of going to the restaurant at the top of Grand Rochette gondola. I had the 'local speciality stew'. The resultant meal still gives me panic attacks. A bowl of something that looked like vomit was produced with cabbage in it that had been boiled for at least 3 months. Its not often I leave food at lunchtime skiing but we left our food that day. We have our favorite places and we stick to them. Generally the better places are lower down the mountian?
snow report
Quote:

Generally the better places are lower down the mountian?

Yep, we are a bit spolit for choice in Montalbert Very Happy wink
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Boredsurfing, Maybe but La Roche always wins for us. Love the restaurant at the bottom of that slope.
snow conditions
Was a few years since I was in La Plagne - 2009 I think, but le Forperet was my favourite restuarant by some distance.

Remember stopping for a beer late morning down in centre and asking for a carafe of water as well and getting one with a hair and what looked like breadcrumbs in it. Shocked Was extortionate too and the staff seemed very disinterested in serving anyone. Had a kind of sunken sun terrace if I recall correctly - maybe one of the locals can put a name to it.
snow conditions
2013/2014 Bump
Forperet continues to be a favourite, But 2 Fishers and skiing back to Montalbert isn't clever Toofy Grin
latest report
Croq Neige retains the worst loo experience (See earlier post!) Laughing
latest report
Had lunch in Borselliers on Sat - beer, crepe, chips, sunshine . . . .and clean inside toilets!

What more can you want?
ski holidays
Snow and Sunshine, Upstairs loo in Borselier must have the best view in the Alps Very Happy
ski holidays
sbirring, They have now opened up a creperie at the Inversen restaurant, it is attached to the glass building with the log burner.
The steak and chips has gone up to 12 euros this season but the delicious onion soup is still only 6 euros a bowl.
snow report
Happy
snow conditions
Bad news!
Le Petit Chaperon Rouge in La Plagne 1800 has new owners a new menu and no omelettes! Sad Sad
snow conditions
boredsurfin, have you tried the Refuge in Plagne Centre? Run by Pierre who used to run the Petit Chap up till a couple of years ago. . . .
latest report
Follwing on from Boardsurfin’s excellent resumé from 2008, I offer my humble update on La Plagne Piste Side Restaurants.
(Tried to include all those mentioned previously in this thread, but omitted those I’ve not been into or know nothing about)

Chaudron Plagne centre (more bottom-of-piste rather than piste-side)
Does best Hot Chocolate in the alps (more like runny chocolate mousse).
But not a place to eat in: over-priced and slow service.

Le Chalet des Verdons Sud Champagny area (kamikaze piste)
Not been into this place, and not rated by any of my La Plagne seasonaire friends.

Borseliers Champagny area
Still an excellent place to stop. Inside lovely warm fire on cold days. Outside good on hot days. Hot chocky comes in large bowls – yummy with fresh doughnut. And as original post stated: downstairs loos fine, but single loo upstairs must have one of the best views of any loo in the Alps!

Au Bon Vieux Temps above 1800 by Golf Chair
Still good. If you have large long meal and get on well with the waiters, beware generous owner plying you with profuse amounts of Genepi

La Bergerie big terrace above the Bergerie lift.
Super warm fire inside for cold days. Sunny terrace outside for hot days. Great place for wind-down drink at end of the day. Had disco playing late afternoon last season.

Hywel liked La Roche de Mio. Personally I avoid this place at all costs and ski on down to the much better Inversens.

Les Inversens. Excellent value. Can eat in “green house” with warm fire to get outdoor views with indoor warmth. But avoid peak lunch time: only small kitchen and meals cooked so order to can be long queues.

Le Forperet above Montalbert. Often quoted in the past as favourite place, but now I think resting on its laurels and no longer worth a visit unless just want to savour the super view from the terrace.

La Roche, bottom of the La Roche chair. This place goes from strength to strength. Attentive service, comfy sofa in front of warm fire, decent food (especially superb chocolate mousse), and of course now a whole host more people going past following closure of the Coqs lift.

Le Chalet des Colosses. Ice Rink Restaurant just above Bellecote. Still a great place to go. Go for the soup: large bowl of hot soup, big basket of bread, and a couple of slice of melted cheese on toast.

I also recommend the Roc de Blanchettes, across from the top of Borselliers lift on Champagny side (of bottom of Rossa). Self service with smart waiters (?).
Also good for the outside picnic area. Deckchairs, super view, kiosk that serves hot drinks and good value box of chips.

Le Plein Soleil on Mont Blanc piste down from Plan Bois gondola out of Les Coches. Do try their scrumptious Kaiserschmarrn.

And if you’re staying in Plagne 1800, another good place for an end-of-day drink is Le Chalet de la Lovatière on the Jean Marie piste down from Aime 2000
(This used to be the Mère Grand, so looking up the slope from the bottom of 1800 you had the Loup Blanc, Petit Chaperon Rouge, and Mere Grand – so, only missing the Wood Cutter (Bûcheron?)

Le Sauget at top of Montchavin chair is no longer the great place it was.
And the Matafan in Belle Plagne is overpriced and to be avoided.
snow report
Jonpim, Great research and I concur with all your findings. Very Happy

and I'm told the Inversens is doing Hot dog and chips as a special offer in the Greenhouse this week.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy