Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Recommendations / Suggestions: Short turning ski.

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
David Murdoch, unfortunately they were quite dull, but there is lots of potential in the ski!
They still were able to bite, but not on the icy worldcup thing Wink

Find these quite soft in the tails, unlike the Stoeckli GS
Obviously by design, judging the shape of the steel sheets visible from the sidewalls.
Think i like those tails a bit more firm...
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Unfortunately its unlikely Stoeckli will do another production run of 07/08 Laser SL FIS Sad

Guess those will have to move to next year, or someone who still has a pair has to offer a very good deal (The local store here in Wengen is very sweet about skiteachers)
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
*minor little kick*

So the volkl allstars are done for... i really don't enjoy them anymore... they actually became much more floppy then the average twintip/semifatpowdertoy Wink

Asked Central to ask the stoeckli rental centres if they may have 2nd hand FIS for a decent price offer.. else its a retail; i don't fancy sacrificing 1 possibly 2 weeks of skiing for the FIS ski, unless i'd really miss out on the FIS....
Jean Marc@central thinks the retail would do just fine (and i'm sure it will) because i'm not THAT heavy (below 80kg)

Opinions?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Ronald, the only comparison I can give is between the Rossi 9S race stock and retail versions, skied the same week three years ago. I'm about 73kg and noticed a huge difference between the 9S WC and the 9S Oversize. IIRC they had a similar turn radius although the geometry was not the same. The WC ski had so much more energy coming out of the turn than the retail ski, felt significantly more solid throughout the turn and was just more 'exciting' all round. The WC ski comes with a beefy race plate so not sure how much of a difference that made, but the race and retail versions of this ski were poles apart. I bought a pair of the race stock skis after that test.

Although I don't keep up with latest developments in ski kit I did spot that Bilek sold what I think is the current version of the 9S WC (skis and plates only) for £170 plus shipping. Info here. I was almost tempted to stick a bid in, but eventually decided against as my current slalom skis seem just as lively as when I bought them.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
rob@rar, Plates do make a difference.

I skiied the retail 07 Stoeckli GS in 176 with Vist bindings+riser+beefy plate (thats the one I have now) and in 182 with Salomon bindings and no plate... the Vist setup stiffens the ski considerably.
This years stoeckli seems to come with the Z12 Salomon railbindings. Really have no idea if thats better or worse Wink
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Rental Shop in Grindelwald has a pair of Laser SL FIS, its going to be send to Central in 2 days time.

If the price and shape are good, i'll bite Wink
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Ronald let us know how you get on.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The FIS pair from the rental shop is in shockingly bad condition. Edges serviced so much they can fall out any moment, lots of damage in the topsheet down to the upper metal sheet...
About bad enough i'd feel bad renting them out Wink

The good side is I can actually test the difference between the retail and the FIS now.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Another option... Rossignol FIS slaloms... i think there is a pair in the shop (and the print is ugly!)
They are a bit more expensive then stoeckli, but those would still be cheaper then renting something proper and buying stoeckli next year

Any clue how those compare?

I can get Stoeckli SL retail, Rossignol SL retail and Stoeckli SL FIS (battered and beaten) from rental test.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Skiied both the retail and FIS Stoeckli Laser SL today...

Took the FIS first Toofy Grin
After that the retail wasn't very disapointing, but the FIS was clearly superior in every aspect... (Including its ability to drain your strength with violent efficiency)

This ski is basically everything I expected from it...

The shop up at Mannlichen had a different pair then was sent to Central last week, in MUCH better shape. So Cental will ask for a price on this ski, and also inform at Stoeckli again for a 08/09 ski. Stoeckli were on Mannlichen today doing their showcase of 08/09 gear to the shop owners in Grindelwald/Wengen and they did have an 08/09 SL FIS...

Stoeckli will be using the very same topsheet for next year on most of their models, and i can't say I dislike that.

As a sidenote: this puts the powderski plans (some other threads of me) on hold, as in all honesty, a slalom racecarver is much more important to me...
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Bought the one from the rental. Only been out 6 days (and 1 of those must be my own doing) after being used for skitest in Sölden.

Does everything that was suggested in the thread.

Thanks for all the guidance/help/time!
And thanks to Jean Marc of Central Sport in Wengen for putting up with my excessively wierd and changing wishes Wink
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy