Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Please, please, please Wear a helmet . . .

Poster: A snowHead
IncogSkiSno, so sorry to hear about your son Sad - I do hope he makes a good and full recovery. Be sure to let us know how he gets on

The OH got knocked down by a car last year, blacked out and had to have a scan. I think its pretty routine in those circumstances - I haven't noticed any difference in him! Toofy Grin
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
AxsMan, Thanks being so thoughtful Very Happy However, if my son's accident prompts discussion and a few more snow sports enthusiasts to wear helmets, I really don't mind - it was, in its way, what I intended from this thread.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
cathy, Thanks - perhaps my son may come out of this with some good sense knocked into him - he's a walking disaster area. Also, I've recently discovered he goes tombstoning when on his bodyboarding holidays - it's a wonder I have any nails left. Skullie
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
what is tombstoning? Puzzled
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
rob@rar wrote:
achilles wrote:
I am mildly disconcerted about causes which have evangelistic zeal - which seems to be what the advocates of helmets have in sH.

So that's a reason you don't wear one? Because other people are really keen on wearing them?

Not at all. I really have felt to urge to wear one myself. Nor do I mind others being keen to wear them. But I am wary of those who are passionate in their passionate advocacy of any cause. Sometimes there is a logic in their behaviour - but at other times it becomes a sort of mass hysteria, I think.

AxsMan wrote:
Long running argument this one. maybe we could take it elsewhere and leave this thread for good wishes to IncogSkiSno and her son?

Trouble is, the thread title effectively invites such a discussion, and the content of the opening post is used in support.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
shoogly wrote:
what is tombstoning? Puzzled

Jumping off cliffs, bridges, etc into water that probably isn't deep enough.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
IncogSkiSno, hope that everything is ok for your son, I have to admit that I've never worn a helmet (probably due to the fact that I could never find one that fits my big head) but I often suggest that new skiers and boarders do, speeds these days seem far higher on the slopes and many people are not as well trained as I was when I started, 4 lessons or even less and many people quit lessons and go it alone
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
There are no valid excuses for not wearing a Helmet (apart from the Sikh religion), so just wear one. It's a no brainer.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
achilles, it's plain to see where you're coming from. I too rebel against arrogant, busy-bodying statements/commands.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
IncogSkiSno, please let us know as soon as you have more news. The time must be dragging....
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
laundryman, achilles, Fine if you choose not to wear one, it's your Head.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Spyderman, precisely.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
IncogSkiSno, hope your son's ok.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'd be interested to know how many skiers/boarders do the lottery and also slide without a helmet. Hoping/believing that they can make a big win from one and being fairly confident that an accident "will never happen to them" with regards to the other.

I also wonder exactly how the statistical odds compare...
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
IncogSkiSno, Little Angel I'm sure he'll be fine, and scaring you silly again very soon! snowHead

achilles, Fair enough, and since IncogSkiSno, has confirmed she's happy for the debate to rumble on....

Actually it is your view that I most agree with. I have always worn a helmet when motorcycling, and sometimes when pushbiking. My main reasons for NOT wearing one when skiing (up to now) boil down to:

1) Yet another bulky bit of kit to pack and carry
2) Haven't found one that's comfortable
3) Don't think I ski fast or hard enough to warrant one
4) Feel that wearing a helmet could in some circumstances restrict hearing/peripheral vision and actually make a tumble more likely.

The d3o stuff looks like it might address 1, 2 and 4, and given my 'gentle cruising' style might be all the protection I need. I intend to seriously look into it this year.

Ok Now all you helmet fans can deride me for being rash, foolish, wantonly stoopid and having no brain worth protecting (probably guilty) rolling eyes Laughing
latest report
achilles, I know exactly what you mean about over-egged zeal (sorry, truly terrible metaphor). When I was a school-kid, my father - who had been a 40-a-day man, though heaven knows how he found the time, since he never, ever smoked in the presence of a patient - took on board that smoking was not a good idea and gave it up. He then, as many ex-smokers do, proselytized for the universe. He went on and on and on about the fact that my sister and I should not smoke: net result in me, because I am bloody-minded, was that I took up smoking. Not a good result. This does not, however, mean that he was wrong to say that smoking was dangerous. But, ultimately, it is of course a personal decision: until such time as it becomes illegal to ski without a helmet, people should do as they think fit.

IncogSkiSno, what's the news today? Good, I hope.
snow conditions
Best wishes to your son

The one thing I would say about this is that it does seem "trendy" in a way to talk about head protection.

What if I came on here and told you all that I know someone who broke their back and whilst skiing and that you should all be wearing spine protection for that reason.

Would you all be rushing out to get one?
ski holidays
Spyderman,

Quote:
(apart from the Sikh religion)

nope Monty Panasear wears a helmet to bat in...

ski holidays
hobbiteater wrote:
nope Monty Panasear wears a helmet to bat in...

He needs to - have you seen him wielding the willow? Laughing
snow conditions
Wear a helmet for cycling and skiing since fracturing my skull many years ago - when wasn't wearing a helmet
snow report
Quote:
He needs to - have you seen him wielding the willow?

or attempting a catch...
latest report
Megamum, yes - my Mother too was shocked by my language but didn't chide me on that occassion; rather kept asking me present questions to see if I was coming around: who is your teacher? (I named my last year's teacher), What year is it? (I got it wrong), etc...

There's been a lot of sense talked on here and I'm being swayed back again by Achilles, Axsman, Hurtle , JDC and others. Furthermore, I have felt for the last few years as Ski Helmet wearing has increased at a fairly slow rate, that anyone wearing a helmet wasn't to be trusted. That they are reckless speed freaks who will dive off-piste at any moment without regard for other skiers around them or in their party. In fact I have given that advice to many beginners - "don't follow anyone in a helmet", I've said on more than a few occassions. If you wear a helmet please don't take that comment personally. I am merely sharing - for the greater good (I think?) - what I belive to be a commonly held, if admittedly possibly-outdated, view.

I think I'm with Axsman on this for the reasons he stated earlier (mostly 1,2,and 3) and likewise will look into it more this year.

Puzzled
latest report
flowa,
Quote:

I'm being swayed back again by Achilles, Axsman, Hurtle , JDC and others

I bought my first helmet last season - and I wear it!
snow report
Hurtle wrote:
flowa,
Quote:

I'm being swayed back again by Achilles, Axsman, Hurtle , JDC and others

I bought my first helmet last season - and I wear it!

Good for you. I'm still going to think about it. I get your point about the over zealous and was really pointing to that by including you in my little list there.

I think that skiing is different to riding a bike or horse though and so I'm still conflicted. It's so much slower (the way I prefer to do it, anyway) and I feel at far less risk of a head-impacting injury than falling from a great height as with the other two sports.
snow report
AxsMan wrote:
Ok Now all you helmet fans can deride me for being rash, foolish, wantonly stoopid and having no brain worth protecting (probably guilty) rolling eyes Laughing

Not at all. You rash, foolish... wink

I think that in an average resort, your own speed and staying on piste have got little to do with the need for a helmet. Last weekend in Avoriaz I saw a skier schussing down a track take out a boarder (yeah! Embarassed) who was getting off a lift. The boarder went down and hit his head on the very firm piste. He didn't get up quickly. The boarder hadn't done anything wrong

I don't wear a helmet because of how I ski. I wear it because of how other people ski.

I must say that I disagree with flowa on the rate at which helmet wearing is increasing. I bought my first helmet in Whistler about six years ago. All of my friends took the mick. All of them now wear helmets. Four years ago I used to get stared at for wearing a helmet in Les Gets / Morzine. Now they are a common sight - noone gives them a second thought.
snow conditions
Quote:

What if I came on here and told you all that I know someone who broke their back and whilst skiing and that you should all be wearing spine protection for that reason.

What a ridiculous statement. What you'll find, if you look back over the thread, is that a few people (myself included) have backed up their decision to wear a helmet by describing a situation when they feel that wearing one has protected them. And I find it rather distasteful that you should be making such a point in a thread which was, after all, started by someone whose loved one has just been injured on the slopes; an injury she feels might have been prevented/ lessened by wearing a helmet. Nobody is talking about wrapping ourselves in cotton wool. Skiing is essentially a dangerous activity. Wearing a helmet is, however, an easy and relatively cheap way of affording oneself a little extra protection.

IncogSkiSno, I hope the improvement continues apace.
snow report
PhillipStanton wrote:
I don't wear a helmet because of how I ski. I wear it because of how other people ski

Agreed. Also because I want my kids to wear them, so need to set an example.
snow conditions
flowa, Oh, sorry, I thought you'd inferred that I didn't wear one. And yes, PhillipStanton, it was being bonked on the head by another out-of-control skier on-piste that finally persuaded me. However, the most painful outcome of that was whiplash, against which a helmet wouldn't have protected me anyway. Don't really have a firm grip on what the right answer is, but since the thing is comfortable and I don't look any more stupid in it than I look in a ski hat (all hats make me look like a mushroom, and a ski hat makes me look like a mushroom-shaped pixie in a fartbag that's had a brain operation) I'm happy to wear the helmet.

...ho hum, I'd like to look glamorous on the slopes, but I fear this will never happen. Still, I scrub up adequately apres ski...
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
flowa wrote:
...anyone wearing a helmet wasn't to be trusted...reckless speed freaks...dive off-piste at any moment without regard for other skiers around them or in their party..."don't follow anyone in a helmet", I've said on more than a few occassions....what I belive to be a commonly held, if admittedly possibly-outdated, view.

IMV, people wearing helmets are more likely to be interested in safety and have will have given it more thought, than those who aren't.

[rant on]
Speed isn't necessarily reckless. Inappropriate speed is reckless.

Off-piste isn't reckless. Skiing off-piste without a second thought to avalanche safety and group ability is reckless.

Absenting yourself from skiing lessons before you've really got any control is reckless.
[rant off]

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Thu 20-12-07 12:46; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Hurtle - consider the benefits expounded by MrsPhillipStanton - you have a "handbag" for lunchtime; they're much warmer than a hat and you don't lose your hat / googles when you fall over off-piste. Or if you do you're in real trouble. Happy
snow conditions
PhillipStanton, Laughing I hadn't thought about the 'handbag' benefit - perfectly true, though!
ski holidays
Hurtle, Cool no worries.

IncogSkiSno, thanks for keeping the debate going. It's a good one. Glad to hear that your boy is ok.
latest report
PhillipStanton, all views/rants duely noted. Good grist to the mill. Cheers. Smile
snow report
JDC wrote:

And wearing back protection is increasing too. It's just much less obvious.

Most of the real park rats wear back protectors and impact shorts. They know how much it hurts to land badly.

Most people you see race training will probably be wearing back protectors. Most of the ski clubs around Morzine / Les Gets / Avoriaz seem to insist on kids wearing them - you certainly see lots of kids wearing them at lunchtime when they take their jackets off.

At least half of my original mick-taking group now wear back protectors in some circumstances. Me included. I still feel stupid wearing mine, because I don't really do anything that knarly. But it's just a form of insurance. Having seen someone fall mostly the whole length of the Swiss Wall, I'm prepared to feel a little stupid.

It is, though, all personal choice.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Thu 20-12-07 12:58; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Hurtle wrote:
PhillipStanton, Laughing I hadn't thought about the 'handbag' benefit - perfectly true, though!

I completely agree with MrsPhillipStanton on that one - but I'm a boy - so please don't tell anyone wink
latest report
flowa snowHead
snow report
rainman wrote:
Quote:

What a ridiculous statement. What you'll find, if you look back over the thread, is that a few people (myself included) have backed up their decision to wear a helmet by describing a situation when they feel that wearing one has protected them. And I find it rather distasteful that you should be making such a point in a thread which was, after all, started by someone whose loved one has just been injured on the slopes; an injury she feels might have been prevented/ lessened by wearing a helmet. Nobody is talking about wrapping ourselves in cotton wool. Skiing is essentially a dangerous activity. Wearing a helmet is, however, an easy and relatively cheap way of affording oneself a little extra protection.

IncogSkiSno, I hope the improvement continues apace.

Eh? How is this ridiculous? Or distasteful? My message was not directed at anyone in partcular but by quoting only one part of it you have made it appear so. And just for the record I do wear a helmet and would also recommend it to other people. However, I still say my point is valid. See the PhillipStanton message above re spine protection for a more balanced response.
latest report
JDC, apologies if I've misread you. To me, what you said suggested that you viewed people recommending a helmet as a hysterical reaction to possible injury on the slopes. It had a hint of the 'it's health and safety gone mad!' line so often heard from those with an opposing view. Sorry Embarassed

And good to hear that you wear a lid snowHead

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Thu 20-12-07 14:07; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Quote:

I also wonder exactly how the statistical odds compare

I'm sure they don't even begin to come close. The chances of winning the lottery are probably rather lower than being killed on a ski slope by an out of control vehicle skidding off a road. Most people's perception of risk bears little relationship to reality or statistics. Just look at how so many people are hysterical about the risk of their child being abducted and killed by strangers and convinced that "these days" it's much more likely than in the "good old days" when kids were allowed to go out on their own before they were 22.
snow conditions
rainman - no probs - was just pointing out that banging your nappa isnt the only way to get hurt
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy