Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Please, please, please Wear a helmet . . .

Poster: A snowHead
Wear a helmet when skiing or boarding. I have just had a phone call from my son's friend in Val d'Isere, saying that my son had an accident in which he hit his head - he has some memory loss and is at the hospital waiting for a scan. Sad rolling eyes
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
IncogSkiSno, Hope it is just a mild concussion. Thoughts with you all.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
IncogSkiSno, oh, that's tough. Fingers crossed for you all.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
IncogSkiSno, sorry to hear that. Fingers crossed that everything is well.

And I'd second the advice. I think ski helmets are one of those things that, when we look back in a decade's time, will elicit a 'who on earth thought it was safe to ski without one?' response.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
There was someone who completely wiped out in the val snowpark today. Didn't look too good, wasn't him messing about was it?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
good luck to him and you! funnily enough - i was just online a few minutes ago looking at helmets. I wear one when i'm on the mountain bike and was thinking the risks while skiing are more or less the same so why not wear one when on the boards as well? Wear one kayaking as well...

now, why don't companies make a helmet that would do for all 3 sports? would save me a fortune!

ah... that's why.

Anyway, all the best to your son and hope he's back on his planks in the coming days.

Very Happy
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
IncogSkiSno,
Commiserations, Crying or Very sad I hope your son gets better soon.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
IncogSkiSno, sorry to hear that news, fingers crossed for you that everything is well.

Also agree with rainman, I remember when wearing a hard hat to ride a horse wasn't compulsory, but looking back it seems madness.

D
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I hope he'll be ok.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
IncogSkiSno, oh god, hope he's OK. Fingers all crossed. Not a good Christmas present. Sad
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
the problem with ski helmets is that they cover your ears a remove some of the sensation of skiing. i also feel they would reduce your awareness of others as they isolate you more from the environment and affect spacial awareness. i am not saying this is a good enough reason not to wear one but it is something worth taking into account. also how do you keep warm with one on when its really cold. they have gaps in them and its awkard to get the neck warmer right up around the helmet like i do with my fleece hat. I curse people who dont were them on a bike for being silly and i am very safety conscious when racing round various racetracks in my racecar which has as many safety features as i can justify but i dont wear a helmet for skiing. i will give it some thought this year as my son is starting to ski, aged 5 ,and its not a very good example to set him is it !!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
IncogSkiSno, Started wearing this year for first time, each to their own but think anyone not wearing one is mad Mad
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
was it strange at first until you get used to it. bet its hot in late march with a helmet on !
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
backhojo, Lots of helmets have air vents so its not an issue snowHead . Value my brain matter so a little heat is a small price to pay.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
But if they need a donor for a brain transplant, sadly that's one thing you couldn't offer Confused

On a more serious note, sorry to hear that, hope he will make a swift and full recovery.
ski holidays
backhojo- in my experience of wearing a helmet for last 5 years my helmet covers ears but plenty dont, as to affecting sensation, perhaps. awareness, no more so than the goggles your wearing. warmth, thats a benefit warmer than just a hat!once you get used to it you feel exposed without one, same as on a bike, i never used to wear a helmet on that either.and after you've had a few falls and clonked your helmet your glad of it.
IncogSkiSno hope he's ok, i've had short term memory loss from a bike fall, still cant remember 2 mins upto crash but otherwise fine. part of brains defence mechanism.
snow report
backhojo, I have a Giro 9 helmet which has removable plugs for the holes so you can have them blocked up when it's cold or vented when it's warmer. However, I always have them out and have been very comfortable in very cold and also sunny, warm conditions. Personally I find the helmet very light to wear with no loss of spacial awarenss or hearing and when it is hot my head gets less itchy than it did with a woolly/ fleecy hat on. Also goggle wearing is more comfortable as I used to hate the tight strap round my head and also the fact that they steamed up when you lifted them of your eyes onto your sweaty hat. Now they go onto the helmet and come back down perfectly clear!

So, for me the helmet is more comfortable, convenient, safe of course and on top of all that hellishly cool...!!!

Incogskisno, best wishes to your boy, hope he's OK.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Wed 19-12-07 17:49; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
gavin2020, backhojo, You will find that on a lot of helmets the ear protectors come of. I take mine of at times Laughing
ski holidays
IncogSkiSno, very, very, sorry to hear you had such a worrying message. My brother in law had a crash, and some memory loss (he couldn't remember the fall, which was off a lift, at all) and vomited for a while, and was very dozy. The doctor said to keep an eye on him, but probably just mild concussion. So it turned out and after a grotty 24 hours he was fine. What a good job he had friends out there with him. Hope you soon get reassuring call from the lad himself.
Quote:

the problem with ski helmets is that they cover your ears
Quote:

also how do you keep warm with one on when its really cold
I suspect these are views from someone who's not worn one. They don't have to cover your ears. Mine (Giro) has removeable ear pieces. I generally wear them, because ears do get cold. They don't keep out any more "sensation" than a layer of fleece round your ears. Helmets are actually really warm, and when it's cold you can wear a silk balaclava underneath, plus all the usual appendages including neoprene facemask if that takes your fancy. When it's warm, you can open the vents.
latest report
IncogSkiSno, sorry to hear about the news. Hope he's alright.

backhojo, I'm not big on ski helmet since I've never hit my head skiing, ever. Still, I'm happy to report that my new helmet (of 3 days skiing) was very comfortable and warm (tested in quite bad weather). And I hardly notice I'm wearing it. Smile

(instead of a neck warmer, I use a "skull cap" with neck coverage under the helmet)

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Wed 19-12-07 17:55; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Iconskigno Hope he recovers well and that he will be ok Shoogly there is a company that makes a helmet for Climbing, biking and skiing cant for the life of me remember the name of it seen it in outsider (Irish outdoor Mag ) for Novmember helmets may be a tad uncomfortable but so is wrapping your head around a tree
ski holidays
ok ok so you are convincing me !! its not that i am anti-helmets. far from it. i am very safety conscious - i always want to be in a position where i know there was nothing more i could have done (apart from become a hermit) to mitigate the risk. i have tired a couple on in shops and hated how they felt. perhaps i was looking at teh "el cheapo" range and need to go for the giro. i have a giro cycle helmet and its really comfortable. i will look into helmets more seriously this year. thanks for the advice
snow report
Quote:

perhaps i was looking at teh "el cheapo" range and need to go for the giro.

Actually, mine is a junior model. Not exactly "el cheapo" but not exactly expensive.

As in cycling helmets, it's not the price or brand, it's the shape of your head matching the shape of the helmet. All of last season, I try on helmets whenever I see a shop yet found nothing that fits like a bike helmet. Till last week, I tried on a junior model and it fits like my bike helmet. (I didn't have to buckle the strap for it to stay on my head!) I knew then I've found the right one.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Wed 19-12-07 18:13; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
backhojo, last year was my first time wearing a helmet - like you my decision was partly driven by wanting to set a good example to my youngest. On the first day out I decided to drop into the park at Argentiere, hit a huge jump (really, a 35 year old man - I should know better!), didn't land it and smacked my head very hard. With the helmet - a headache. Without it, who knows? It's (literally) a no-brainer.
snow conditions
alternatively - stay out of the parks and drink vin chaud on a sunny patio !!! ....really...at your age !! Very Happy (im 35 too and will probably try a few jumps this year like i always do. nothing too big as i am scared by them !!)
snow report
Incog Hope he is ok and you hear from him soon. A reminder that at Boot Camp and most of us had helmets on.
snow report
Quote:
remove some of the sensation of skiing. i also feel they would reduce your awareness of others as they isolate you more from the environment and affect spacial awareness.

My Giro Fuse has no such issues on the slopes.

Quote:

was it strange at first until you get used to it. bet its hot in late march with a helmet on !

Last winter in march was .... pretty warm (I walked on top of mannlichen in ... well less then a tshirt would have sufficed.) Still skied with my helmet... no problems with heat.

Get a good helmet, wear it, most of the preconceptions livign among non-helmet-wearers are not quite true. You don't need to ski hard and fast to drop on your head and end up like the son above - hope he'll be alright -

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Wed 19-12-07 18:20; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Hope everything is ok IncogSkiSno. Fingers crossed.

I bought a helmet last year after skiing for a day in Wengen - slopes were much steeper than we were used to in Andorra and at £100 for a giro its madness not to really.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
IncogSkiSno, so sorry to hear that about your lad. I hope he makes a full and speedy recovery, and I'm beginning to wish we'd bought helmets a few weeks ago.
ski holidays
IncogSkiSno,

I really do hope He's OK. Very best wishes for a speedy recovery.
latest report
Hope he's ok too
snow report
IncogSkiSno,
My thoughts are with you.
snow conditions
IncogSkiSno, as above.
ski holidays
backhojo wrote:
the problem with ski helmets is that they cover your ears a remove some of the sensation of skiing. i also feel they would reduce your awareness of others as they isolate you more from the environment and affect spacial awareness. i am not saying this is a good enough reason not to wear one but it is something worth taking into account. also how do you keep warm with one on when its really cold. they have gaps in them and its awkard to get the neck warmer right up around the helmet like i do with my fleece hat. I curse people who dont were them on a bike for being silly and i am very safety conscious when racing round various racetracks in my racecar which has as many safety features as i can justify but i dont wear a helmet for skiing. i will give it some thought this year as my son is starting to ski, aged 5 ,and its not a very good example to set him is it !!

It doesn't reduce awareness in anyway, in terms of hearing sensation well the alps are a pretty quiet place and even with helmet on I can hear very well. For keeping warm, I use a Giro Badlieutenant which has no gaps and keeps me warmer than any hat. I don't wear a helmet for cyclign btu i also know that i should, saying that I cycle ~ 20mph avg and so if I hit a car then I am pretty mashed up with or without a helmet.

It is always a choice but for piste skiing where the conditions are hard I feel wearing a helmet is a must and I feel it is always the first item you buy the day after a crash.

In terms of your son 'IncogSkiSno', it may not be the head trauma that has caused the amnesia, it could be the shock of the fall or crash. I skiied into my friend off piste last year and he didn't hit his head at all but couldn't remember that he was even in Chile let alone anything else for about 4-5 hours .... I wasn't popular. Long story he was fine and so I hope that your son is aswell.
snow report
Sorry to hear about the crash - i hope he's OK.

What are helmets like for wearing sunglasses with? I prefer sunnies to goggle unless it's snowing.
snow report
zebedee, Fine, wear either, no issues.
latest report
IncogSkiSno, sorry to hear your news, I hope that there is swiftly some better news to follow from VDI.

zebedee, I have been wearing a helemt for the last 3 seasons and like you, usually wear sunglasses - no problem in my experience.
snow report
gwaelod, Nick L, thanks I'll have to try a few on when I get the chance. Was concerned the arms of the glasses wouldn't fit well inside the helmet so it's good to know you've had no problems.
ski holidays
zebedee, also prefer sun glasses myself and it's fine!
latest report
All - thanks for your good wishes - we are still waiting for an update on his condition.

As for helmets, I bought my helmet in October and wore it for the first time in Tignes on the Boot Camp trip, I don't like being too covered around my head/face when skiing and only wear gogs if I really have to, however, my Giro helmet was very comfortable. We had discussed with our kids about helmets, and the son who is now injured was totally opposed to the idea, whereas the other two were giving it serious consideration. I don't think we'll need to persuade any of them now. Confused
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy