Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Please, please, please Wear a helmet . . .

Poster: A snowHead
IncogSkiSno, So sorry to hear about him Crying or Very sad I hope you get good news very soon. My son decided to wear a helmet a few years ago after a very close shave. Kids - you cant tell them rolling eyes
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
IncogSkiSno - my best wishes to your son too. Hope you hear something reassuring soon.

Helmet devotees - thanks, you've done a great job convincing me Cool. I've been resisting for years - and cycle helmets too. I have looked seriously at both from time to time but haven't found them either comfortable or (dare I say it) attractive. So, ok, I'll give up the latter issue and get on with the hunt for one that's comfortable and comes with all the doo-daks like removable ear covers and vents. Cheers.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
flowa, i use a giro atmos for cycling (comfiest about) and a giro fuse (tune upps) for skiing and both are great and look good. also got all the bells and whistles imaginable.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
IncogSkiSno, looks like it's a bulk order discount required for Giro Helmets. wink
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Speedy recovery to junior.

I bought a RED Trace lid the other week, never used one befor and was wondering if I ever would. Im sure I will at least give it a go.

It makes sense.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
IncogSkiSno, I hope he's ok. Since reading this post I've had a look at some helmets online and all snowHeads doing a whole season should get a helmet tomorrow if they don't already own one.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
IncogSkiSno, I am sorry to hear about your son - I hope he's OK. I fell off a horse at the end of May, whacked my head on stony ground, wearing a riding hat, and suffered concussion, post concussion syndrome and whiplash. It could have been a lot lot worse if I wasn't wearing a hat. I shall certainly be wearing a helmet when skiing from now on - in fact it's on my Xmas pressie list.

It's good that he's getting a scan immediately. And don't worry about the memory loss - it does come back. Feel free to PM me if you need someone to talk to about head injury.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
http://www.ruroc.com/Home/tabid/224/Default.aspx

Possible the coolest Helmet on the market, bit pricey though at £180 Shocked

Still looks cool though!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
IncogSkiSno, I hope that you have some good news about him soon and certainly before Christmas, perhaps when he feels brighter they will let him call you - my best wishes are with you and him. As for helmets - the kids and I are already kitted out - When we started to ski again 2 years ago just to see if it gelled the kids wore their cycling helmets (full shells) and I just went with the bobble hat brigade, but for the second trip I saw cheap ones that we could all afford and reasoned that I should set an example to them so bought 3 for us all - I love mine, its only cheap but has the right EC code in it, it keeps my ears warm, and best of all it keeps my hair out of my eyes, I can use goggles or glasses, and a scarf is no problem - going to try a buff (I think that's what its called - the neck fleecey things) this year. As I've said on here before I wear a helmet for all other sports - horse riding, cycling, motorcycling - heavens I even have to wear a hard sometimes in my work! so why not skiing?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
williams691, Darth Vader meets the Stig.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
http://www.decathlon.co.uk/EN/ski-snowboard-helmets-9867177/

Or .... there's the budget option Very Happy
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
achilles, The force is strong rolling eyes
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
zebedee: I only use goggles when it snows. glasses anytime else.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
This may convince you to wear a lid http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=33494
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
IncogSkiSno, sorry about the news, but it is very likely he will be absolutely ok. Scans are pretty routine for any Head Injury where you have memory loss.

Timely reminder anyway.
ski holidays
IncogSkiSno, Awful thing to happen, I do hope your son is OK and will recover soon..

We were just talking about helmets with my son the other day--that we should get some. The danger with pistes often so crowded, is people crashing into each other---after my crash last February (I was hit in the ribs) I even feel like wearing body armour!
snow conditions
Rossfra8, cheers for the tip - I'll check them out Smile
snow report
Jo66, not to be pessimistic but I concussed myself when I was 14 in a cycling accident and have never regained my memory. I'm missing over two hours. Thankfully I've been filled in by friends and my Mother and I'm not missing anything, just a lot of screaming, bleeding, and swearing at doctors trying to stitch me up and take xrays. Shocked
snow report
flowa, Ditto - when I argued with the road as a teenager, I lost about an hour that I never got back - I can remember 1/2 the ambulance trip and swearing at the Doctors trying to stitch me and my mother telling me off for doing so though Embarassed
latest report
I had a very nasty tequila incident when I was 18 - still haven't recovered the two hours of missing memory or worked out how I managed to walk home from the wrong end of town. Next time I go on a tequila bender I'm going to make sure I wear my helmet.
ski holidays
A while ago I read in some lifestyle magazine about a high tech material that would offer an alternative to ski helmets, but now that I try to find out more I can't find anything. I'm not sure if it's the same thing but I did find this: http://www.indiantextilejournal.com/products/PRdetails.asp?id=100

Brief quote:
Quote:
The fabric, treated with a specially formulated silicone coating, remains soft and flexible under normal conditions. When struck by high-impact force, however, the material instantly becomes rigid to help protect the wearer against injury. Once the impact is over, the material immediately becomes flexible again.

Anyone heard or seen anything about this?

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Wed 19-12-07 23:28; edited 1 time in total
latest report
zebedee, I think the material you're referring to is D3O. I've got a slalom vest made from it, and I think there's at least one company that does beanies made from it.
ski holidays
rob@rar, that's it D3O. One example: http://www.ellis-brigham.com/cgi-bin/psProdDet.cgi/398613

That does answer the question though:
Quote:
This beanie is NOT a helmet, but will protect you miles better than a regular beanie.

I'll have to check it out if I'm in an Ellis Brigham any time soon.
latest report
IncogSkiSno, Hope No 1 son is OK. Thoughts with you.
snow report
zebedee wrote:
That does answer the question though:
Quote:
This beanie is NOT a helmet, but will protect you miles better than a regular beanie.

Given the level of protection offered by a regular beanie I'mnot sure that's such a great endorsement Wink
snow report
IncogSkiSno, Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

I suffered a fractured tailbone in a snowboarding accident, thankfully that eventually healed, but it could have been much worse if I hadn't been wearing a helmet!
snow conditions
Well he's in for the night at BsM, he's had the scan, he is/was on a drip, and his memory is recovering a little - so fingers crossed Very Happy
snow conditions
IncogSkiSno, Good news, glad he's on the mend. Very Happy
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Whistler just had a volunteer ski patroller die while free skiing, hit his head on a tree. not wearing a helmet.
ski holidays
due to my well documented problems with finding a helmet that will fit on my head, i have bought myself one of these:

http://www.ellis-brigham.com/cgi-bin/psProdDet.cgi/707624||@cHelmets%20-%20Snowsports@bRed|0|user||7|

again, nothing like as good as a hemet no doubt but should take the sting out some bangs on the head
latest report
Best wishes to your son and you IncogSkiSno. I've now worn my helmet for so long that I feel naked without it.
ski holidays
wbsr, could be the same result if he had been wearing a helmet - or, maybe worse, might have survived but severely brain-damaged?

IncogSkiSno, looks promising - best wishes that the good news keeps coming.
snow report
IncogSkiSno, hey that sounds nasty: hope he recovers soon Sad

I've never worn a helmet but bought one after the PSB. It's not seen any action yet; that'll be in 9 days time Very Happy As with a lot of the others I've always worn one MTB-ing but not skiing up until now.
ski holidays
IncogSkiSno, Hope all goes well with your son!

Back in the days when I spent a season in Gstaad so many years ago, one of my friends crashed and hit a pole going about 45mph+, luckily she had a helmet on but she did get a concussion and have memory loss. On the bright side though, she was good as new in a couple of days and there were no long-term effects.

I also had a mild concussion when skiing, tried my first jump and subsequently landed on my head (thanks Mr. Ski instructor for not even telling me to lean forward and then making me go on a 15ft jump). Ended up with a mild concussion and three days of being a blur which I can only recall a couple of things that happened. I'm fine now though NehNeh

Those two incidents were with helmets, so just because helmets do save your ass doesn't mean you're indescructible. Nonetheless, I personally think anyone who doesn't wear a helmet and is at an advanced level needs to be shown a video or two.
ski holidays
IncogSkiSno, very glad it's not going to be anything more serious. Do you know if he hit his head on anything other than the piste, a rock perhaps or a tree?
latest report
achilles, apparently he did 'survive' they had him on life support for a while then pulled the plug (all hearsay) also hearsay is that if he had've been wearing a helmet, he might've been okay. but then again they always say that to try and get more people wearing helmets. IMHO you might as well wear a helmet, some protection is better then nothing. you don't see too many professional athletes in any sport not wearing helmets nowdays. most people don't because they think it looks 'uncool'. i'ld rather be alive and uncool then cool and dead.
as to OP, sorry to hear, and hope he recovers fully and quickly
snow conditions
rob@rar, Not sure, but there weren't any visible wounds.
snow report
wbsr, the thought of whether a helmet looked cool or un-cool did not occur to me. I do own a helmet. I remain unconvinced I should wear it - partly because wearing any goggles I can find with it is a little uncomfortable. I am mildly disconcerted about causes which have evangelistic zeal - which seems to be what the advocates of helmets have in sH.
ski holidays
achilles wrote:
I am mildly disconcerted about causes which have evangelistic zeal - which seems to be what the advocates of helmets have in sH.

So that's a reason you don't wear one? Because other people are really keen on wearing them?
snow conditions
Long running argument this one. maybe we could take it elsewhere and leave this thread for good wishes to IncogSkiSno and her son?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy