Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Please, please, please Wear a helmet . . .

Poster: A snowHead
JDC - that's the first time I've been called "balanced" in a long time wink
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
backhojo,
Quote:

the problem with ski helmets is that they cover your ears a remove some of the sensation of skiing

Please get me a hemet quick! Toofy Grin wink

IncogSkiSno, I hope your son makes a full and speedy recovery before xmas Very Happy
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
He's got to stay in another night Sad We will hopeully know more tomorrow, when someone who speaks fluent French will be going/contacting the Hospital Confused
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
IncogSkiSno, all best wishes to you and your son

I've noticed so far this season that hat-wearers are now far outnumbered by helmet-wearers.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
IncogSkiSno, sorry to hear they're keeping him in another night.
Is there a doctor on the thread? Puzzled Any ideas why this might be?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I will have a helmet by the time I return to Tignes in April, I hadn't thought about it on my November trip because I wasn't going to do anything fast or reckless, I soon realised it wasn't my skiing I really had to worry about, it was others, after being knocked off the drag lift by a skier who wasn't looking where they were going, then see exactly the same thing happen just a few moments later, made me feel I was being reckless in not wearing one.

IncogSkiSno, I hope your Son recovers in time to enjoy Christmas.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

I don't wear a helmet because of how I ski. I wear it because of how other people ski.

Couldn't agree more.
About three years ago my wife had to go into hospital for an operation. Anyway she spent a night in intensive care. Two beds down was an eighteen year old kid in a coma, surrounded by all his family. He had been standing about, and was hit in the head by someone who was wearing a helmet, and was skiing/snowboarding out of control. We later heard from a friend of the wife's that he eventually came out of the coma.
Our instructor wore a helmet, not to prevent injury in the event of a fall, but to avoid getting smacked too hard in the head when someone crashed into her.
IncogSkiSno, I hope your son makes a quick recovery.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Although I try not to do anything out of control or very fast at all, I must admit that having broken my back once falling from a horse and now always wearing a back protector when I ride, is it double standards to not wear it whilst out skiing too?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
IncogSkiSno,

Very best wishes for his speedy recovery.

Head injuries always casue concern, but time is an important tool in establishing what will happen. The docs will always be cautious. More than that its impossible to say. perhaps Jonpim will have more insight than me (a helmet wearing GP)

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Thu 20-12-07 16:40; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
IncogSkiSno, I too hope your son is OK.

I am now a confirmed helmet wearer and advocate for the Giro 9.9.

My itital fears around having a hot head (as opposed to being one) were unfounded. Indeed the helmet is so comfortable I forget I am wearing it until somebody whacks me on the head in the bar!!

I bought it primarily as I can't expect my daughter to wear a helmet if I don't. Other supporting arguments involve trees, particulalry branches, speed, if I wear one on a bike and i probably go faster on my board and other sliders.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
If anyone has been reading this thread and is not looking for a helmet, check out the prices here for Giro helmets. It's a biking website that i order a lot of stuff from and the sevice is ace and prices always amongst the lowest you'll find.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Categories.aspx?CategoryID=382
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Megamum wrote:
Although I try not to do anything out of control or very fast at all, I must admit that having broken my back once falling from a horse and now always wearing a back protector when I ride, is it double standards to not wear it whilst out skiing too?

Ok, now this is getting freaky Megamum - I've done my back both skiing and horse riding and was just thinking the same thing! Shocked ! (First was my back skiing when I was 18 - paralysed from the waist down for 1/2 a day, months of physio and acupuncture. Second was off a horse at 20 - coccyx that time ... and I've done it again since! rolling eyes (falling upstairs backwards, if you can imagine!)

Great! So much for my little xmas break - now I feel I shoud get a helmet and a back thingemybob. Confused Mad Confused
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Became a dad in Feb, read this thread yesterday, had a discussion with my wife about getting a helmet for my ski weekend in Feb suddenly felt like with my added responsibility I should lok after my head more - strange how the mind works!!) - she said "if you get one, and all the rest of your group aren't wearing one, will you wear yours?" I fear she has a point Confused

Does anyone know if these things can be hired from skishops at resort, or is that a no-no cos of hygene?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Tim Sawyer - just go and buy one. You'll get over the embarrassment.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Tim Sawyer, You can hire kid's helmets but I can't remember seeing adult helmets for hire. I thought I would feel self-conscious wearing a helmet, but within 30 minutes of using one for the first time I'd forgotten I had one on. In the resorts I ski there's enough people wearing them (both the ultra-cautious as well as the park rats & racers) that nobody looks out of place wearing a helmet.
snow report
Tim Sawyer, maybe it's time to be a trend-setter. All the hard men on the mountain are in helmets these days - you could always get an avalanche probe for your backpack too, if you want to be really hard core. wink
snow conditions
I got used to my helmet within an hour.
ski holidays
IncogSkiSno, hope he's ok, sounds like he will be.

Injury rates are increasing because of inexperienced slope users getting about the mountain sooner and equipment allowing more people to go faster, ie it's not my skiing (unless off piste or going really fast) but other slope users I'm worried about. Intuitively it seems safer to wear a helmet if only to reduce the severity of minor and possibly major head injuries. Most incld myself seem to find them comfortable enough for comfort not to be a significant issue, once the right one's been found. They do reduce hearing, partic if dumb enough to use one with music, but I can just about hear ok from inside mine. I pack fragilish stuff inside mine in my bag eg goggles, shades, gadgets etc, so it's not too space occupying to cart about.
latest report
I know guys - I've just got this pre-conception that a helmet makes a statement about how fast you can go, and as a lower-mid intermediate with all my British reserve..

However, it doesn't take more than a nano second to realise that there are lots more ways of sustaining injury on piste than skiing at 100kmh (as some of the posts here bear out).

IncogSkiSno, thanks for posting this in your anxious moments, its been useful for a lot of people I suspect. We are all waiting for good news from you.

All the best.
ski holidays
slikedges,
Quote:

it's not my skiing (unless off piste or going really fast) but other slope users I'm worried about. Intuitively it seems safer to wear a helmet if only to reduce the severity of minor and possibly major head injuries. Most incld myself seem to find them comfortable enough for comfort not to be a significant issue, once the right one's been found. They do reduce hearing, partic if dumb enough to use one with music, but I can just about hear ok from inside mine. I pack fragilish stuff inside mine in my bag eg goggles, shades, gadgets etc, so it's not too space occupying to cart about.

Exactly, including the bits about music and packing. OK, OK, I know music is a personal choice as well! Laughing
ski holidays
IncogSkiSno wrote:
He's got to stay in another night Sad We will hopeully know more tomorrow, when someone who speaks fluent French will be going/contacting the Hospital Confused

Is that Boredsurfin??
snow report
Anyway, on a more serious note: I spoke to my son last night and he is OK. He still can't remember the accident nor 3 or so days prior to it. He should be discharged today, as soon the insurancers and hospital sort out the paperwork etc.

Many thanks for all your good wishes. Very Happy

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Fri 21-12-07 8:51; edited 1 time in total
snow report
IncogSkiSno, just read this thread - I have fingers & toes crossed for him.
ski holidays
IncogSkiSno, so glad to hear you have spoken to him - that must have been such a relief to hear his voice. Big *hug* from one mum to another.
latest report
IncogSkiSno, also glad you've spoken to him and that he's generally OK. Will he continue to ski or straight home?
snow report
IncogSkiSno, excellent news - glad he is ok.
ski holidays
IncogSkiSno, Good news and hopefully a few more who have read the thread will realise that wearing a helmet makes sense. snowHead
latest report
IncogSkiSno, Great news
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
IncogSkiSno, glad he's ok - helmet for xmas? wink
snow report
IncogSkiSno,

Good news.

With that amount of amnesia he'll need to be very careful to avoid a second knock, (which have a higher risk of serious brain injury due to softening of tisses from the first knock) and will probably not be as co-ordinated and skillful to start with as he remebers he was - he should take it easy as he starts again.
snow conditions
IncogSkiSno, Great news. Very Happy
ski holidays
IncogSkiSno, Good news - Happy Christmas!. Tell him to rest up and drink plenty of medicinal alcohol for the next week or two Madeye-Smiley

(Glad to hear he's OK) Laughing
ski holidays
IncogSkiSno, brilliant.

I'm shopping for a helmet after Christmas Very Happy
snow report
Megamum, I broke my back boarding - not a proper break I didn't realise I'd done it until I had an xray a good time after and was told I had an old compression fracture of the spine. Vaguely wondering now whether I should get a back protector.

Tim Sawyer, I want away with a group of work colleagues when I first bought my helmet. Didn't wear it the first day because none of them had helmets but then realised that it was silly to bring it and not wear it thereafter. I learnt to ski last year and wore my helmet the whole time even in the roped off complete beginners section.
snow conditions
IncogSkiSno, I missed this thread somehow, as work is manic at the moment. Good news he is OK, but what a shock you must have got.
latest report
IncogSkiSno, so glad to hear he's ok and echo all the sage advice about him taking it slow, etc...
latest report
IncogSkiSno, good news.

what Martin Nicholas says is hugely important and not always made clear to patients. The second injury can be way more dangerous, even with a lesser impact.

Get him a lid, and out of the park for a long time.
snow report
stoatsbrother wrote:
IncogSkiSno, good news.

what Martin Nicholas says is hugely important and not always made clear to patients. The second injury can be way more dangerous, even with a lesser impact.

Get him a lid, and out of the park for a long time.

For how long after an injury does one remain more vulnerable? Yes, I know each case will be different, but are we talking days, weeks, months or more and are we talking about the first injury being one which results in loss of consciousness and/or memory, or ANY knock to the head?
ski holidays
IncogSkiSno, Fantastic!
latest report
NewSkier, Hope this is helpful. RFU guidance:

Head injury rules to avoid second impact syndrome

Grade 1 No Loss Of Consciousness (LOC), Post Traumatic Amnesia (PTA)< 30 min
Grade 2 LOC <5> 30min
Grade 3 LOC >5min/ PTA >24hrs

Must be asymptomatic 1w for return to sport: No dizzyness, headache, impaired concentration or memory at rest or on exertion

.........................First................Second ................Third
Grade 1 ...Rtn 1w............Rtn @ 2w..............Out for season
Grade 2 ...Rtn 1w............Rtn@ 1 mth...........Out for season
Grade 3 ...Min 1m...........Rtn next season

Out for season if 3x Gr1, 2-3 Gr2 1-2 Gr3 concussions
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy