Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Technique for skiing whilst snow is falling.

Poster: A snowHead
I skied in the snow once, and have to say that I didn't care much for the experience and I was glad I wore goggles, though I did find that they steamed up with my glasses on underneath - I hope things will be better with my new contacts this year.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Megamum, contacts will make a hell of a difference. You also have to learn to be both relaxed and ready for any sudden contour changes. You cannot look at your feet in those conditions, and you can get sudden drops and bumps. You can actually practice the sensation if you find a wide open piste with no one on it by doing a few turns with your eyes closed.

I love skiing when it is snowing - with Kramer and JT on that. My wife hates it however. She would rather ski on slush in the sun, than powder in low visibility.

I do often feel slightly sea-sick when I stop though.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
stoatsbrother, I'm with your wife on that one - especially since I get sea-sick as you describe. But, as everybody says, it can be fab in trees.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Megamum,
Sometimes you can owerpower the googles ability to demist by exerting too much but bins are far far better than glasses for skiing IMV
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Megamum wrote:
I skied in the snow once, and have to say that I didn't care much for the experience and I was glad I wore goggles, though I did find that they steamed up with my glasses on underneath - I hope things will be better with my new contacts this year.

Contacts will certainly make a difference.

Another thing to be aware of with goggles is basically don't take them off!

Once you put them on, try to keep them in place except when you stop properly (e.g. for a coffee). Don't take them off on the chairlift or Gondola, they will tend to mist up much more if you do.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Tip: If you ski with your mouth open while it's snowing, you get instant refreshment. wink
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
PS Try not to inhale the snow. Laughing
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I was skiing recently for 2-3 days in whiteout conditions, with over a metre of snow coming down thick and fast...in Val Thorens, and it was amazing. You have to use the piste markers to gain any sense of which direction the slope is taking and what the pitch is like (if there are no trees), but I found it very liberating. There weren't too many people skiing, so we just went for it hell-for-leather and with the snow piling up in mounds of powder and our skis slicing through it silently, I found it really helped my balance, because I couldn't see the bumps and all the scattered soft moguls and the drop offs, so my knees had to start acting like shock absorbers and a centred position became crucial.

I almost felt that, on the 3 blubird days that followed, I became lazier and messier technically.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I feel like a big kid when its snowing. I have even been caught sticking my tongue out whilst on the chairs.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I must contradict the suggestion earlier about fixing on the ground about 2metres ahead of you. Quite the opposite: keep the head up and looking ahead to pick up piste markers, other skiers, trees - that will help maintain your sense of the horizontal. The source of that advice - which immediately helped me greatly in the bad visibility we were experiencing - was a BASI trainer, so I guess he knew what he was talking about.

Stay centred as has been said and let your feet react to the ground beneath you. Sometimes, of course, you will suddenly realise there is nothing beneath your feet but if you are well balanced and looking ahead you have a better chance of riding the unexpected! .........And when you glide gracefully in to stop beside your friends, you will have stopped concentrating and the ground will be sloping precisely the opposite way to what you thought and you will be dumped gently on to your side.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
ccl, if you're getting dizzy and disorientated you need to look at something you can see. If you can see things in the distance well enough you won't get dizzy and disorientated - it happens because you can't see them well enough. People often keep trying to look up and ahead even in terrible vis 'cos it's what they've been taught and are used to but if vis is terrible, looking at something they can see ie 2m ahead will help. The other advantage is that you're less likely to be found lacking in the adjustments for snow department. I'd agree that looking only 2m ahead to the exclusion of looking where you're going wouldn't be helpful. And, yes, once again, many ways of skinning a cat, advice also courtesy of a (recent ex-but-eminent) BASI Trainer.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
stoatsbrother, and others, somehow I find it slightly worrying that you seem to know instinctively that I tend to look at my feet Embarassed My ski instructor during most lessons skis backwards in front of my exorting me to 'look at my eyes' Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
slikedges wrote:
ccl, if you're getting dizzy and disorientated you need to look at something you can see.

Essentially we are saying the same thing. I thought that you were originally saying to focus on the snow 2 metres in front instead of looking ahead to things you could see further away and was taking issue with that. If conditions are so bad that you can't see people or objects ahead, then of course you want to focus on the snow as far in front of you as you can rather than staring into the whiteness (which I agree would make matters worse). I would put the emphasis on maintaining as wide and as deep a field of vision as conditions allow in terms of being able to pick out visible objects.

As to the recent ex but eminent trainer, wouldn't it be a neat coincidence if we are talking of one and the same person? The mentor I was referring to was John Arnold. Eminent certainly fits, and the last I knew John had moved on to other things.

Megamum wrote:
My ski instructor during most lessons skis backwards in front of my exorting me to 'look at my eyes' Madeye-Smiley

Perhaps the instructor simply fancies you. Laughing
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
If he fancied her, he'd be skiing behind her, looking at her bum!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
ccl,
Quote:

I would put the emphasis on maintaining as wide and as deep a field of vision as conditions allow in terms of being able to pick out visible objects.

Yep, I'd agree that that'd be the best way of summing it up!

Quote:

The mentor I was referring to was John Arnold. Eminent certainly fits, and the last I knew John had moved on to other things.

No, it wasn't John but Phil Smith, though John was there that week, so could've been the same week - total whiteout in Tignes, even in trees - last I heard he was still in Africa?

BTW, Welcome to snowHead snowHeads snowHead !
ski holidays
Kramer, Oh no he wouldn't Embarassed Embarassed
ski holidays
OH YES HE WOULD

Well, it's that time of year.
ski holidays
Mosha Marc, OK, what panto have you been watching? Laughing
latest report
[quote="slikedges"]ccl,
Quote:

last I heard he was still in Africa?

BTW, Welcome to snowHead snowHeads snowHead !

I understood he was in Africa, as well. And thanks for the welcome!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy