Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Technique for skiing whilst snow is falling.

Poster: A snowHead
I have been reliably informed that this coming Christmas Day it will be snowing quite heavily and that I am expected to ski whilst the snow is falling.

I am a blue sky fairweather skier and would normally stay indoors, with my feet up, a good book, put another log on the fire and wait until the snow storm passes.

So snowHeads what advice can you offer me if I really have to go and ski in the falling white stuff .................
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Wear goggles Little Angel
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Enjoy Laughing
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Just keep the ski's pointing downhill until you reach the bar and you'll be fine.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Decent yellow or persimmon goggles.
ski on pistes amongst trees, as visibility will be much better and the trees will give you points of reference.
stay centred on your skis.
look to the piste poles to give you an idea of how steep the terrain is.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Spyderman,
Quote:

stay centred on your skis

How do you do that then?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Spyderman wrote:
Decent yellow or persimmon goggles.
ski on pistes amongst trees, as visibility will be much better and the trees will give you points of reference.
stay centred on your skis.
look to the piste poles to give you an idea of how steep the terrain is.

Second all the above.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
boredsurfin, Probably best you stay at home then. To be safe if you give me the keys to your pad I am willing to mind it for the week. wink Laughing
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Try not to inhale whilst enjoying face shots.

Honestly!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Mosha Marc, The words of many a man Embarassed Laughing
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
boredsurfin wrote:
Spyderman,
Quote:

stay centred on your skis

How do you do that then?

Look at the bottom of your skiboots, look for the centre mark on the boot sole, imagine you are balancing sideways with a tightrope under your boots, keep that balance point in mind while you're skiing. Hey presto, centred on your skis.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
If there's lots of loose snow on piste don't steer your skis be using lots of rotary movement with your legs, use more pressure instead.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Spyderman, But won't that interfere with my armchair style Confused
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
boredsurfin, Those that have seen you ski refer to it as "latrine" style Very Happy
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
boredsurfin wrote:
Spyderman, But won't that interfere with my armchair style Confused

If there's snow on the roads, you won't make it up the hill anyway. wink
ski holidays
gwaelod, cheeky Laughing

Spyderman, don't you advise any forward pressure at all?
latest report
Spyderman, The snow has been arranged to be delivered after our arrival in resort Toofy Grin
Frosty the Snowman, Embarassed Embarassed
Mosha Marc good question Confused
snow report
Mosha Marc, By being centred, you'll be applying pressure to the tips and tails equally.
snow conditions
I love skiing when its snowing, I use one of those neck things that are suppose to turn into 12 different sorts of hats to protect my face, plus a spare pair of goggles is a god send after a head plant.
But you do have to know when to call it a day.
One huge advantage is that no one will be able to see you....
ski holidays
Spyderman wrote:

Two extraneous words and a part missing from the explanation

ski amongst trees, as visibility will be much better and the trees will give you points of reference and be much more fun

Smile
ski holidays
Also, be prepared to take hits from unforeseen bumps. Don't tense your legs too much and be ready when you feel a hit from the ground. You can absorb bumps by flexing your knees almost all the way to your chin (poor explanation but you know what I mean). Takes a bit of guts/confidence, but if you ski that way with a bit more pace than you might wish, you will fare well. It's how I ski in flat light as well, expect bumps all the time and ride them by lifting your knees rather than getting fired into the back seat. On of the most important things is also that when you've just absorbed a bump, you are probably going to hit the downslope, so be prepared for that as well.
ski holidays
nbt, You missed out, 'until you hit one' Laughing
ski holidays
Spyderman, you;ve seen me skiing then? That helmet's not just for show, y'know!
latest report
Quote:

I have been reliably informed that this coming Christmas Day it will be snowing

Where do people get stuff like that from? We are talking 7 days time and as far as I can see there is just a light snowfall forecast for boxing day. rolling eyes
snow report
Ford, It's just boredsurfin wishfull thinking. wink
snow report
Spyderman wrote:
Ford, It's just boredsurfin wishfull thinking. wink

Probably like his skiing ability Laughing
snow conditions
Ford, I haven't had the pleasure of skiing with boredsurfin, so I couldn't possibly comment. Little Angel
latest report
Spyderman, one day, I've heard you do a mean snowplough so I reckon we'll get along fine when we do!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ford wrote:
Quote:

I have been reliably informed that this coming Christmas Day it will be snowing

Where do people get stuff like that from? We are talking 7 days time and as far as I can see there is just a light snowfall forecast for boxing day. rolling eyes

wink http://www.weather.com/outlook/travel/businesstraveler/tenday/FRXX0142?par=OAP&site=COLDH&code=null

Its changed since this morning Embarassed
snow conditions
Quote:

nbt, You missed out, 'until you hit one'

ahem, ever wondered why this video ends a bit suddenly? Laughing
ski holidays
boredsurfin, Expect a very sore ar$e if you do, just ask rob@rar Laughing
ski holidays
Spyderman, Is that comment related to skiing in the forest Shocked wink
ski holidays
boredsurfin, Here: http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=30597&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=snowplough
snow report
look around you more, when its dumping it kills the sense of sound quite significantly I find.

Make sure you have good velcro ended kit to keep the snow out your trouser legs and wrists and never sit directly underneath the cable on a chairlift, you will always get dripped on with geasy water LOL.
Make sure your skis have been waxed prior to new snow otherwise they can drag especially if its close to freezing rather than well below

Have long lunches and plenty of chocolat chaud!

David
snow report
boredsurfin, Advice? How can you give advice to anyone who is still cleaning their teeth on a sunny day when fellow Sh are on the lift? Someone who refuses to get out of bed (yes when the sun is shining) without a cup of tea?

Get off yer a$$$ you fariweather skier and come have some fun in the snow......... Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Mouth, What are you trying to say Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
boredsurfin wrote:
Mouth, What are you trying to say Laughing Laughing

Try boarding perhaps???
ski holidays
I have had some of my best days whilst skiing when snowing....

Like deep snow, you'll have to expect to be knocked about a bit, but if you can't ski this stuff when it is this fresh, you'll never ski it...
Get out there and practice.... don't waste it..!!
ski holidays
Skiing when it's dumping down is one of life's great pleasures. Head below the tree line, make sure that you're wrapped up warm, take a hip flask with you, and stop for regular hot drinks to thaw yourselves out.

Take advantage of fresh tracks, loverlay powder, and usually almost deserted pistes.

Did I mention stay below the tree line. Very Happy
snow report
Lots of good advice here already - ski slow, focus on balance, keep core strong and legs absorbent, pressure rather than edge or rotary.

2 more:

Don't try to peer to far ahead in poor vis - it just adds to the disorientation - instead one of the few situations when it helps to mainly look at the ground just the 2m ahead you can actually see quite clearly.

If there's someone ahead of you, try to keep them at least barely in sight, to help with direction and angle of slope. Keep piste markers within sight on one side though.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy