Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

BzK = Chocolate Teapot?

Poster: A snowHead
veeeight wrote:
Stop.

Skiers who believe that "There is no best way to ski" are skiers who are in denial about improving their skiing.

Absolute rat.

And if you think I'm in denial about improving my skiing then you really haven't a clue.

I spent most of my early ski career with French, Italian, British and Canadian ski instructors all trying to undo each other's work. They certainly had no concept of "best".

And I've had nearly all of that conflicting advice on how to ski ice given to me over the years - by CSIA Grade 4s, an ex-Olympic coach, an ex-Olympic mogul skier, BASI Level 1s and BASI Trainers. Tom Pro (who'll you'll know)'s advice was the best - "hell, just straight-line it kid!". Pretty much "best" for an ex-competition speed skier.

Last year I was told by a French instructor to stop skiing the off-piste so fluidly. He wanted me to initiate my off-piste turns by leaning my whole body into the inside of the turn, traverse, come to a near stop and repeat. I asked him why - we were in La Grave going down to St Christophe - as a ski instructor he was happy with my skiing - as a guide he was worried about snow-pack stress. He assured me that striving for style was not "best" that day. Had I not asked, I would have thought that that's how you ski off-piste.

After all, ski instructors know so much. According to one of my ski instructors last year, the centre-line of the ski is the chord centre. That was an ISTD.

I only really started learning when I realised that "There's more than one way to ski. What's best is often a matter of personal opinion. Ski instructors disagree with each other." I only really started to learn to ski when I took responsibility for having an opinion of my own and finding out what was "best" for me.

BTW - I went down the largest part of my last run of the day on Saturday going sideways. It was certainly the safest thing to do. The piste was full of out of control skiers trying to stick the sodding edges in and careering all over the place...
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
veeeight,
Are you trying to say that unless you are an instructor you know nothing about technique?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Where did I say that?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
veeeight wrote:
GrahamN, well done! You've outlined just how I would have answered it! The clue was in one of my earlier posts, (intent). My complete rounded answer to that particular question would have encompassed two different tactical approaches, with different outcomes!

No doubt those of us who didn't realise this was a competition feel duly chastened. But not to worry, we all love being addressed de haut en bas.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
PhillipStanton, as you well know, it's a pyramid. Lots of stuff and noise at the bottom end, but as you progress up, the options narrow to a point.

That is the goal.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
PhillipStanton,

I can relate to this...

I have skied a bit and I think you build up experience to make a call of what to do, when.... plenty of stuff catches me out but most of my ski buddies will have a perspectrive on something.. I have gotten myself into quite a few hairy situations and what that does is not faze you for the next one. Of course, you'd like to avoid these but with the best will in the world, sometimes, you don't.
I liked the point about skiing the snowpack a certain way because of the day's conditions..... very useful to change tack for those sorts of reasons...

My particular thing is that you don't know how someone will cope with something until you see them do it...but you can't know what the route will throw up unless you know it well.....and then in what condittions. This is why I think it best top put yourself in as many situations as you can and see how you cope.....

I am not sure you need a ski instructor for this ( depends ) but you'll likely need someone with the required experience and a guide will have been there.
I think instructing takes you so far but sooner or later you will need to be making calls yourself. You will have to test yourself outside of that safety net and start trusting yourself......

If you have a bombproof side-slip, you can get past anything....... almost..Laughing
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hurtle, is there any danger of you sticking to the topic, instead of slinging insults around?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
veeeight,

Quote:

as you well know,

I haven't even got close to an insult.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
veeeight - I've been dealing with the largely pointy end for a while now. There's still little sign of a point. In either sense.

It is a truth universally accepted that anyone who believes there is any single truth is sadly mistaken. (And I trust we can all see the self-mockery in that statement.)
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Right, so today I learn that instructors etc can't agree on "the best" method and there is many "correct" ways of skiing. THis is good news as it means I can justify no longer having lessons and start trying to convince others that my style of skiing is in fact the best and only way wink
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Boris. You really want the answer to that...?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
PhillipStanton, It's an interesting "point". I think I can understand veeeight's point of view, in that I think there probably is an ideal/optimal choice of technique, speed, etc for any given descent. I don't think anyone has yet discovered a single best way to teach though!

This thread being a good case in point. Christopher's reasonable question about he should cope with icy patches has a whole bunch of correct and reaonable answers, (even mine included) but tricky to see how Christopher will apply them to his skiing!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
David Murdoch wrote:
... I think there probably is an ideal/optimal choice of technique, speed, etc for any given descent.

Which might well change depending on external factors (eg how busy the slope is) as well as internal factors (can I be arsed to ski this at pace)?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
There are also a lot of people who have just read the headline (only one way to ski) without reading the words that followed that headline! wink

rob, yes, that train of thought struck me as I was watching Strictly Come Dancing It Takes Two tonight, watching their closed skill sport of dancing (controlled environment etc.), vs. the open skilled sport of skiing.

So whilst for a particular pitch and intent there may be a most effective method of skiing, it is the variable external factors that may cause you to deviate from that!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
veeeight wrote:
So whilst for a particular pitch and intent there may be a most effective method of skiing, it is the variable external factors that may cause you to deviate from that!

This probably falls into the category of angels on pinheads, but don't internal factors also dictate the most effective way for an individual to ski a certain pitch. Skill set, level of commitment, etc will all change how a skier should best ski the terrain in front of them. No good thinking that the optimum way to tackle an icy red is carved GS turns when your 'highest' skill set in those conditions is very skiddy parallel turns (I speak from experience here...).
snow report
rob@rar, to avoid angels on pinheads, yes! Laughing The biggest of which is probably mental state.
ski holidays
offpisteskiing wrote:
Interesting... I think relative to the ice issue we have to possibly align peoples 'expectations' of what the skis might do with the 'reality' of what the skis might do.

ie IF you can get your skis to grip/bite on ice, its going to go f'ing fast. Are you ready for that?
IF you edge a bit but don't reach the 'biting point' things are going to tend to go sideways more than they would on grippier snow. Are you ready for that? (Its amazing how many people are caught out by that but its a predictable physical fact/reality).

There are different approaches, however we have to work within the reality of what our equipment (and bodies) will do.

(Yet its amazing how many people expect their skis to perform in a way that simply isn't physically possible.)

Stick around offpisteskiing I think you might have a lot to offer.
snow conditions
Quote:
(Yet its amazing how many people expect their skis to perform in a way that simply isn't physically possible.)

In fairness, I know very many skiers who have no idea of what's physically possible, or likely...so hard for them to form reasonable expectations...
ski holidays
David Murdoch, and surely it is up to their instructors to explain to their students what the limitations of their skis are, as well as how to ski on them.
latest report
Why the constant attacks on the BZK forum?

There have been 4 recently, I think, started by SZK, CEM, skimott, v8. Is this a conspiracy?

What's your beef exactly?

The way I read it, is it so much to ask for posters just to be polite to each other? Posting their own opinion rather than criticising another post or worse still another poster. Then everyone could just go on posting in peace, whether on BZK or elsewhere. I don't personally see anything special about BZK - it isn't a public service, it's just another part of this public message board.

Some of you and your supporters may indeed be well intentioned but might in fact the real problem for others of you be one of indignant superiority? Is it that some of you, and some others too, want your superior knowledge acknowledged by a special status? So your pearls will be gratefully and humbly received and you don't have to compete with posts from the great ignorant unwashed? Is that what it will take to stop such of you sometimes coming across as patronising and condescending know-it-alls? Or do some believe that qualifying as an expert entitles you or modifies your genes so you're obliged to flounceo off in a huff?
ski holidays
offpisteskiing wrote:
Interesting... I think relative to the ice issue we have to possibly align peoples 'expectations' of what the skis might do with the 'reality' of what the skis might do.

ie IF you can get your skis to grip/bite on ice, its going to go f'ing fast. Are you ready for that?
IF you edge a bit but don't reach the 'biting point' things are going to tend to go sideways more than they would on grippier snow. Are you ready for that? (Its amazing how many people are caught out by that but its a predictable physical fact/reality).

There are different approaches, however we have to work within the reality of what our equipment (and bodies) will do.

Thank you, I found that both interesting and helpful. Please do indeed stick around, if you can bear it!
latest report
David Murdoch wrote:
...there probably is an ideal/optimal choice of technique, speed, etc for any given descent. I don't think anyone has yet discovered a single best way to teach though!

Without wishing to be (too) arsey, I disagree. "Best" requires some terms of measurement and a measurement scale. Whose are we using - BASI's, CSIA's, PSIA's, ...?

Even in ski racing there seems to be little accepted wisdom on "best" - and even then Miller or Maier come along and upset the apple cart.
latest report
If A.10 was from my contribution I thought I'd made it clear that my side slipping experience verged on the accidental and laughable and along with I'm sure many of the other answers given conveys the wrong message when taken out of context.

Surely the right way to ski as has been said varies depending on conditions, ability, experience, confidence, ski type/condition etc. How I ski will be very much different to the way an instructor would ski. Why does there have to one right answer and what is wrong with debate? Does there always have to be one upmanship, can't we just accept that everyone is entitled to their own point of view, maybe try to see why they think that and then put forward our own view and maybe why this is different to the other suggestions? No-one likes to be told they're wrong, but there are other ways of tactfully accepting an answer that you don't agree with and then suggesting an alternative avenue of thought. There are so many well intentioned and helpful folks on BZK at all levels and sometimes their contributions just get lost in the noise.

Come on snowHead 's its nearly Christmas........... peace and goodwill to all men, women and ski instructors snowHead snowHead
ski holidays
There are clearly many ways of describing how to ski and some ways will click better for some people than others. I like some others on these threads do not seem able to learn much about how to ski by reading a description of how to do it, I need lessons. The descriptions cleary benefit some people though and it would be a shame to get to rancorous over these things. I enjoy some of the descriptions.
I have though learned a bit I hope over the last few years just in terms of attitude to skiing/ lessons from BZK and its many contributors and benefitted from it.

The advice on this thread http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=33211 is not completely consistent however by reading the different answers and using what's appropriate the questioner seems to have benefitted a great deal.
Lets keep the forum and accept that we won't all agree with all the answers.
snow conditions
The diversity of the views is surely part of the interest and the fun.

The original poster on the ice thread did not specify that they were only interested in the views of Instructors. It was a well pitched opening to an interesting discussion.

Neither did the OP specify the kind of gradient that was being talked about. Posters could have been talking about a small patch of ice on a green run, or an icy black mogul field etc etc. To draw conclusions from the contradictory nature of ensuing posts is silly. To take umbrage from people disagreeing with a particular view seems futile too. I could have dug out other threads where the professionals were disagreeing with each other.

Skiing is not Cult, we do not have to slavishly follow the teachings of one particular guru, but have the freedom to explore for ourselves.
ski holidays
Helen Beaumont, absolutely. Prerequisite being that they have an instructor of course...

PhillipStanton, without wishing to be (too) pedantic, I'm going to stick to my guns - but agree that "best" does require definition and and qualification. For example, obviously in France, the ESF way is clearly "zee best". Whether or not it stacks up anywhere else is immaterial.

Easier to see in competition, whether by the clock or judged (assuming fair judging) - but then "best" includes subtext not limited to, "on the day, with those skis, at that time, without the pesky tourist running in front of the racer, after "two reds and two whites" [paraphrased but for extra points who was reputed to say something like that?], using "current" technique, et al.
latest report
I'll pedant your pedantishness...

...or would do if I didn't have to go to work.
snow conditions
Ski instruction is the teaching of techniques until they become a skill. Any teacher will tell you that pupils respond best to a wide range of teaching methods and that no one way is the definitive "best" way to teach. Surely the best instructors can recognise what specific stlye of teaching works best for each pupil. It would also equate that the most knowledgeable and the most experienced instructor is not always the "best" instructor.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
skier88, i have no beef with BZK's as you so delicately put it, all i wanted was a medium where if a person asked a sensible question that they got a sensible answer or selection of sensible answer, there were several threads where some of the 'pros' were just arguing amongst themselves scoring points and try to out do each other...if you had read the relevent threads you may understand this and not just throw acusations around like you just did

this thread is just another example of the niggling which goes on. at this point i am not even going to bother coming back into this section of the forum even though there are many issues raised whcih may be equipment related, to be honest i am considering whether to bother looking at any of the place in future, right now i am too busy to bother with any of it

BTW welco0me to the mad house

I'm off
latest report
skier88, In line with CEMs comments above I find it interesting that you lump me in the anti BZK's camp when the exact opposite is the case. i have been for the last few weeks starting threads on trying to figure out how to keep a technically biased forum going on the UK's biggest skiing related bulletin board. I seemed to have failed and like CEM have given up on it and wont be bothering with technical discussions here in the future.

CEM, perhaps talk to you on EPIC sometime? wink hope your not going to give up exercising the brain cells completely on line as you always have a lot to contribute.
latest report
Quote:

hope your not going to give up exercising the brain cells completely on line as you always have a lot to contribute.

skimottaret, CEM, This is applicable to you both. And it will be a great loss if you both withdraw from posting on this forum.

Such a shame.
snow conditions
Imagine the novelty value in a chocolate teapot that works.
skimottaret, & perhaps CEM, (if he is still here wink ) I know it is a pain, but can someone give a quick precis of the problems in this section. I know it sounds a bit fick, but I am still a bit puzzled.
ski holidays
Frosty the Snowman, me too, cannot see what the big problem is Sad
latest report
CEM, I hope you come back. I've learnt a lot of stuff from you and am forever in your debt. I may well of given up skiing until you helped me with my problem of knock knees and what to do with boot alignment, footbeds etc. Merci.
snow report
Frosty the Snowman, I (and CEM) have done just that several times. go back and read a few of the threads on "why we should keep BZK's" and the opposing "smash it up and kill it" school of thought. interesting both types of threads seem to come to the same similar conclusions.

Too much bickering, not enough sensible conversations and that detailed technical discussions on skiing without supporting pictures, video, diagrams etc doesnt work for most people. Using technical terms comes accross as elitist and the instructors who contribute are egotistical and/or desirous of hero worship, not genuinely trying to help with advice or learn themselves when 'talking shop'. No tolerance of contrary views and no appreciation that there is no "one" way to descibe how skiing works or how best to teach someone how to ski....

The underlying sentiment is that there are many here who dont want the site to become too techy as it feels less friendly and those who wish to discuss such things should go elsewhere...

Does that help?
ski holidays
skimottaret, I agree with some of your underlying sentiments about the lack of tolerance exhibited for diversity of views, and support the general desire for clarity of expression.

But who gets to judge/choose/dictate the right style of posting when this forum is basically a discussion in the corner of a crowded pub?
snow report
skimottaret, Forgive me for saying this but I think you are reacting to the minority not the majority.
snow conditions
stoatsbrother,
Quote:

But who gets to judge/choose/dictate the right style of posting when this forum is basically a discussion in the corner of a crowded pub?

no one, but i finally realised I can pick which type of pub i want to go to depending on what i am interested in doing. i dont always have to go to my local...
ski holidays
minx, perhaps, but it has gotten so tedious i cant be ar*sed anymore. But I am not the only one who has had enough, CEM has jacked it in offpisteskiing has said he probably wont bother in future. when is the last time easiski or fastman have posted let alone any other instructors?

When is the last time you saw a new technical thread being started here?
snow report
Frosty the Snowman, stoatsbrother, me three. There are times when discussion gets a little robust, but it gets way worse elsewhere, on the whole it seems to me that this is a remarkably civilised place, and this is a walk in the park compared to other fora I've been on in the past. As a number have already witnessed on this thread, there are clearly many different ways to ski in general, and schools of thought, so a little disagreement should be expected, but to get upset by what little there is here strikes me as a bit prima-donna-ish. There have been a number of snipes from SZK (probably under the affluence Wink), and sidekicks, but so what - ignore him. skimottaret seems to have a bee in his bonnet about splitting the forum, has raised the idea several times, and found people disagree with him, think it's a bad idea and suggested workable alternatives. So big deal, that idea didn't fly, move on.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy