Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

BzK = Chocolate Teapot?

Poster: A snowHead
So with all the recent hoo-haa about conflicting advice given by pros - here's a recent thread with relatively few pro contributions.

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=33287

OP - How do I ski on ice?

A1: weight on the outside ski
A2: ignore it, ski slower
A3: sharpen your edges, lean forward, unweight
A4: demo some WC slalom skis
A5: dig your downhill ski in really hard
A6: soften every muscle, gently get the weight onto downhill ski
A7: go faster, slower is worse
A8: slower and softer is better
A9: clench buttocks, get skis flat
A10: sideslip
A11: even weight, flat skis, no edge
A12: wider stance, edge check at end of turn
A13: relax and edge
A14: wider stance, more 2 footed, get centered, soft on your edges
A15: don't turn
A16: sideslip
A17: release the edges
A18: outside leg release
A19: all your weight on downhill ski, really drive your skis
A20: relax
A21: no to wider stance

So how on earth is a newbie supposed to get a straight answer out of that lot?

Chocolate teapot?

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Mon 17-12-07 14:37; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
veeeight, Laughing Laughing Laughing
Of course, the correct answer is: slide down or your ar$e Toofy Grin
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Michelle wrote:

What if the piste isn't wide enough? Shocked Laughing
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Wear The Fox Hat, you just wait Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I go with the first part of A9, normally followed by a 'release' of sorts. Embarassed
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
veeeight, chocolate teapot it may appear to be, but I read it as a list of everyone's different coping strategies. None of them may be technically correct, some a bit tongue in cheek. Is there really onely one answer for everything?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
AxsMan, I hear brown ski pants are in this year.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
veeeight, if newbie is serious about learning skiing professionally, then they will ask their instructor when in resort. If they are happy to try it and see, then they have a number of techniques with which to play around and come to a conclusion Toofy Grin wink
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Well obviously I could tell you all the correct answer but I really woudn't want to contradict anyone Wink
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Wear The Fox Hat, Embarassed Laughing
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
veeeight, what is the straight answer?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I'll come back later after several lagers and put you all right rolling eyes
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
bh1 wrote:

I could give you one, but it just doesn't seem worth it!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Isn't there more than one way to ski hard pack and ice? For me the joy & frustration (in equal measure) of skiing is that there is normally more than one way to skin the cat. Expecting simple answers to simple questions in BZK is unrealistic in my opinion, just as much as it is unrealistic to expect unanimity in some of the discussions which go on elsewhere on snowHeads whether that be related to skiing or not. Just so long as people are respectful of each others' opinion and experience I can't see what the problem is, even when there are firm disagreements between amateurs/pros, amateurs/amateurs or pros/pros.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
rob@rar, absolutely. I'm sure if you asked four different ski instructors how to ski on ice you would get seven different answers. That particular question has so many variables anyway, depending on ability, what skis you are on and so on. How an experienced skier on factory prepared GS skis with an 87 degree edge angle copes with ice would differ somewhat from a newbie on a battered set of rental B2s.
ski holidays
Personally, I don't mind reading contradictory answers to the same question, I just like being able - with a little effort, if required, acknowledging that in many respects I am a bear of little brain - to understand those answers. I can't however, help feeling that you, veeeight, are starting threads with the specific intention of stirring up unpleasantness. This:
Quote:

bh1 wrote:

I could give you one, but it just doesn't seem worth it!

is but one example of evidence for my theory. To my mind, a good way of answering that question might have been to give your answer, perhaps to give a reason for your answer as well and, my goodness this would be really revolutionary, to acknowledge that there is more than one way of skinning a cat and that there could be other, equally valid viewpoints out there.
snow report
rob@rar, BGA, sorry, inadvertent duplication of your views.
latest report
veeeight, We all know the correct answer, we just describe it differently wink
ski holidays
The OP now has 20 options to try, a box of chocolate teapots.

87° does that include the 0.7° base angle?
snow report
Quote:

I can't however, help feeling that you, veeeight, are starting threads with the specific intention of stirring up unpleasantness

Oh trust me, there was not much stirring needed. The existing prevailing unpleasatness is of sufficient magnitude to have already seen off quite a few ski pros, and as I've indicated before, this is highly irritating.
snow conditions
veeeight, forgive me, exacerbating might have been a better choice of word than stirring, but this does not affect the point I was trying to make.

Perhaps a better solution than flouncing off in a huff, would be for the offended professionals to tackle head-on, and in public, any remark that they find unpleasant (that at least would have the advantage of enabling other snowHeads to form their own view of where the fault, if any, lies) or to tackle the alleged miscreant via a pm. One professional has done this to my certain knowledge and a rather tense situation was, by dint of a heartfelt apology which the professional was open-minded enough to accept, defused - and everyone moved on, rather than away. A slightly more mature course of action?
latest report
veeeight wrote:
So with all the recent hoo-haa about conflicting advice given by pros - here's a recent thread with relatively few pro contributions.

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=33287

OP - How do I ski on ice?

A1: weight on the outside ski
A2: ignore it, ski slower
A3: sharpen your edges, lean forward, unweight
A4: demo some WC slalom skis
A5: dig your downhill ski in really hard
A6: soften every muscle, gently get the weight onto downhill ski
A7: go faster, slower is worse
A8: slower and softer is better
A9: clench buttocks, get skis flat
A10: sideslip
A11: even weight, flat skis, no edge
A12: wider stance, edge check at end of turn
A13: relax and edge
A14: wider stance, more 2 footed, get centered, soft on your edges
A15: don't turn
A16: sideslip
A17: release the edges
A18: outside leg release
A19: all your weight on downhill ski, really drive your skis
A20: relax
A21: no to wider stance

So how on earth is a newbie supposed to get a straight answer out of that lot?

Chocolate teapot?

The message is clear.

There is no one best way to ski.

Change one's style to suit the context.

Constantly adapt and change, depending on the situation.
snow report
Quote:

Change one's style to suit the context.

Constantly adapt and change, depending on the situation.

No idea whether this view comes from Whitegold, His Holiness the Pope, or a sock puppet of either of them. Makes a lot of sense, though. wink
ski holidays
Hilarious...

Personally very few people need to be driven away, but......

Post or don't post... the thread will live or die depending if anyone finds it of use. The best bit of advice for any given person can come from any quarter, and if it works and suits then fine. The fact that an industry professonal..or not..gives that advice is irrelevant. Next there will be a move or suggestion that only certified advice should be given...

FFS...some people need to lighten up... !! Its a ski forum and people like to discuss things, or like to hear their own voice... or like to post a funny or snidey comment...or.....................!!!!

rolling eyes rolling eyes
ski holidays
veeeight, Awesome. Proof indeed. I have to say i stay away from BZK because i don't like to read too much, finding a gem to help someone ski is a job for a sub-editor.
ski holidays
For me this is very easy

Q. How do you ski on ice
A. Very badly
ski holidays
Stop.

Skiers who believe that "There is no best way to ski" are skiers who are in denial about improving their skiing.

Yes there are plenty of ways to ski a particular pitch. Some good, some bad, some better, some worse. "Getting down" or "Surviving" constitutes a "way" of skiing.

But there will be only one way to ski a particular pitch efficiently and effectively (with the best biomechanical advantage, balancing the forces, using the equipment, intent etc.)
Two at the most wink
snow conditions
Boris wrote:
For me this is very easy

Q. How do you ski on ice
A. Very badly

Me too
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
There are many ways to skin a cat.

One can ski fast or slow. Gently or aggressively. Standing tall or in a tuck. Big turns or little turns. Straight-down or side-to-side.

All require different skills at different times.

snow conditions
Whitegold wrote:

Yes there is: With a smile on your face. Everything else is for losers! snowHead
ski holidays
veeeight, Firstly, I don't want to get into an argument - but ...

a lot of us on here see the mogul skiers on TV and read about their technique. Now, I'm sure that is an efficient and effective way to ski moguls but a lot of us would never, ever, be able to do it because we're too old and have knackered knees. So we need a different way to get down them safely, with (hopefully) a little bit of style.

Just an example .....
snow report
There is no one best way to ski = There is no one best way to drive?
snow report
Michelle wrote:

Saves on the cost of a Piste Basher I suppose. wink
ski holidays
veeeight wrote:
There is no one best way to ski = There is no one best way to drive?

The answer for both is the same. Safely and in control.
latest report
veeeight, at least 5 of the contributors to that thread DO have instructors licenses. The replies mostly fall into two strategies a) advice on how you may be able to ski it and b) advice on how to survive it, and several replies highlighted that they were considering those different strategies. There were some variations in the "how to try to ski it" strategy, and some of the most widely diverging comments arose from misuderstandings of previous posts. The difference between A14 and A21 was a sideways comment relevant, quite reasonably, to where the poster was starting from. The only real difference of opinion was between whether it should be more two footed or more downhill ski - which I guess could be worthy of more elaboration. I don't see (much of) a problem. And if you disagree with anything there it's more useful to put your side and correct (what you perceive as) errors than just have a bitch.

And every ski school you go to you will be very clear on the "one best way to ski" - it's just that most of them will be different wink Puzzled
snow conditions
GrahamN, well done! You've outlined just how I would have answered it! The clue was in one of my earlier posts, (intent). My complete rounded answer to that particular question would have encompassed two different tactical approaches, with different outcomes!
snow conditions
veeeight, For me it all changed with Tomba (how would he ski ice), however there is still a deep schism in the skiing world, one leg or two.
Where do you stand (or is it hop) Very Happy

Personalty I have picked up a huge amount from snow heads (got my telepeage this morning) however I don't learn skills at all well by reading, I know others do.
ski holidays
Quote:

Where do you stand

Pinching WTFH's line, I ski on the NA continent, so avoid it for much of the time Laughing
snow report
veeeight, never pinch someone else's line. Particularly not on a powder day!
snow report
Interesting... I think relative to the ice issue we have to possibly align peoples 'expectations' of what the skis might do with the 'reality' of what the skis might do.

ie IF you can get your skis to grip/bite on ice, its going to go f'ing fast. Are you ready for that?
IF you edge a bit but don't reach the 'biting point' things are going to tend to go sideways more than they would on grippier snow. Are you ready for that? (Its amazing how many people are caught out by that but its a predictable physical fact/reality).

There are different approaches, however we have to work within the reality of what our equipment (and bodies) will do.

(Yet its amazing how many people expect their skis to perform in a way that simply isn't physically possible.)
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy